Palliser battery packs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-02-2015, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Palliser battery packs?

I purchased a set of four Palliser home theater chairs with the battery packs. My chairs are located in the center of my theater and I have no outlet nearby so having the battery pack was key point in our decision to purchase this set. Well now we are finding the batteries go dead about every five days whether we use the chairs or not. We purchased the chairs at ABT (good people) and they are being told by Palliser that the batteries are fine and they go dead from the LED lights in the switches on the cupholders. I question that response since LEDs have a very low draw. But it is ridiculous that after a dozen cycles and only a few days I have to run the cord to an outlet to charge the battery packs.

I know I have read a few posts here where others have bought chairs with the battery packs. I was wondering what the experience of others have been with the length of the battery charge?

You know, a guy could get into this HT thing and drop a couple of bucks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-02-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolombowski View Post
I purchased a set of four Palliser home theater chairs with the battery packs. My chairs are located in the center of my theater and I have no outlet nearby so having the battery pack was key point in our decision to purchase this set. Well now we are finding the batteries go dead about every five days whether we use the chairs or not. We purchased the chairs at ABT (good people) and they are being told by Palliser that the batteries are fine and they go dead from the LED lights in the switches on the cupholders. I question that response since LEDs have a very low draw. But it is ridiculous that after a dozen cycles and only a few days I have to run the cord to an outlet to charge the battery packs.

I know I have read a few posts here where others have bought chairs with the battery packs. I was wondering what the experience of others have been with the length of the battery charge?
No expert here but I would think the Battery pack is like an UPS to let you get out of the chair when power fails.
One option but not all that great would be to buy a UPS to set behind the chairs and plug them in, then turn off the ups. When the packs die turn on the UPS to charge them. This of course would be a reasonable sized UPS with a capacity of 1000va (about $150) Of course you would need to plug it in every once in a while to charge it's battery.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-02-2015, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
No expert here but I would think the Battery pack is like an UPS to let you get out of the chair when power fails.
One option but not all that great would be to buy a UPS to set behind the chairs and plug them in, then turn off the ups. When the packs die turn on the UPS to charge them. This of course would be a reasonable sized UPS with a capacity of 1000va (about $150) Of course you would need to plug it in every once in a while to charge it's battery.
No that is not the case. These battery packs are designed to allow you to operate the seating units without having to run a cord to the wall.

http://www.htseating.com/palliser-po...tery-pack.html

They have a nominal capacity of 2300 mAH and they claim 80% capacity after 300 cycles. And I would be happy with that.

Using UPS system to back them up would really do nothing more than the present setup. The seats each have a charger and a battery pack underneath them. I have the four chargers running off of a surge protector strip under one of the seats. The charger is wired to the battery and the battery is wired to the seat.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-02-2015, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The problem is the LED lights as they are backlit and draws all the power of the packs, if you did not have the led cupholders you would get the cycles they suggest, I have done tests with rafel battery packs and it's same problem it dies in 2 to 3 days if you have led cupholders that have back lighting, we don't recommend them if you have led cupholders for this reason.

regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
post #5 of 9 Old 01-02-2015, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTmarket View Post
The problem is the LED lights as they are backlit and draws all the power of the packs, if you did not have the led cupholders you would get the cycles they suggest, I have done tests with rafel battery packs and it's same problem it dies in 2 to 3 days if you have led cupholders that have back lighting, we don't recommend them if you have led cupholders for this reason.

regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
I wish I had known this before I made my purchase. Although I guess it was inevetible that I would need to pull up the carpet one day and run power to the center of the room.

post #6 of 9 Old 01-06-2015, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolombowski View Post
I wish I had known this before I made my purchase. Although I guess it was inevetible that I would need to pull up the carpet one day and run power to the center of the room.
I am having same issue, I am thinking of using a larger battery and using a power inverter. something like a deep cycle ATV battery would fit under my riser but not sure how much longer a battery like that would last over the existing setup.

"although he walks among us, he is not one of us"
post #7 of 9 Old 01-06-2015, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hv9200 View Post
I am having same issue, I am thinking of using a larger battery and using a power inverter. something like a deep cycle ATV battery would fit under my riser but not sure how much longer a battery like that would last over the existing setup.
I don't know if that would work but I do know the company that manufacturers the batteries; Limoss does have higher capacity batteries available.

http://limoss-us.com/product/mc-240/

post #8 of 9 Old 01-06-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Led cupholders look weak... Not sure why folks buy those in the first place.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-07-2015, 07:54 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page