Fusion Escape Chair Issues - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thumbs down Fusion Escape Chair Issues

I purchased two Fusion Escape Bonded Leather chairs (5206 and 5306) from Roman. This was a major splurge for me and the Mrs. The chairs look great. I am 6'3" and my wife is 5'1". The wife loves how the chairs feel. The headrest is a little low for me if I am sitting all the way back in the seat. The headrest hits me in the back of the neck. Adjusting the headrest up pushing the headrest forward, so if you are sitting up your head is tilted down. Not comfortable. It is fine if you are in a reclining position, though.

By far the biggest issue is with the cup holder control panel. The one on the 5306 started to malfunction. There were a few different behaviors being experienced for no apparent reason nor consistently.

1. No response from any controls.
2. No response from blue controls, but lock button functions.
3. Intermittent response from blue controls.
4. Response OK from controls.

Sometime the chair would fully open on its own and then the control panel would not respond leaving me in an awkward position to try and get out of the chair.

I contacted Roman who has been very responsive. He had me do a lot of connecting, disconnecting, swapping out cup holders, etc. to isolate the problem. The issue I have is that the 5306 chair is not light. To access the control box to unplug the cup holder or to check the connections, you have to tilt the chair forward on its front. This is cumbersome. If this was my wife, she would have a difficult time doing it.

After swapping out the cup holders, not only did the one which was in the 5306 still not work in the 5206, but now the cup holder that was working fine in the 5206 started malfunctioning in the 5306. He advised to swap them back which I did. Now, neither the 5206 nor the 5306 cup holder controls work. Roman is sending 2 replacement cup holders for each chair and a replacement control box for the 5306.

This whole process of me having to do all the troubleshooting and physically replacing parts is a real pain, especially with the chair design. I bought the extended warranty and service. Not sure what the service company is for when I am the one who is expected to remove parts and replace them myself. I can do it, but what am I paying for with the 5 year Montage Furniture Service Protection Plan?

I am posting this as a buyer beware. I guess these high end theater chairs are like having a BMW or Mercedes. They have a lot of nice features, but when they don't work, it is a pain to get it fixed. At least with a BMW or Mercedes, I am not the one doing the repairs myself.

Anyone else have issues with the Fusion Escape cup holder control panels?

JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2015, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have you tried contacting the actual manufacturer?
Old 12-04-2015, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tucker View Post
I purchased two Fusion Escape Bonded Leather chairs (5206 and 5306) from Roman. This was a major splurge for me and the Mrs. The chairs look great. I am 6'3" and my wife is 5'1". The wife loves how the chairs feel. The headrest is a little low for me if I am sitting all the way back in the seat. The headrest hits me in the back of the neck. Adjusting the headrest up pushing the headrest forward, so if you are sitting up your head is tilted down. Not comfortable. It is fine if you are in a reclining position, though.

By far the biggest issue is with the cup holder control panel. The one on the 5306 started to malfunction. There were a few different behaviors being experienced for no apparent reason nor consistently.

Sometime the chair would fully open on its own and then the control panel would not respond leaving me in an awkward position to try and get out of the chair.

I contacted Roman who has been very responsive. He had me do a lot of connecting, disconnecting, swapping out cup holders, etc. to isolate the problem. The issue I have is that the 5306 chair is not light. To access the control box to unplug the cup holder or to check the connections, you have to tilt the chair forward on its front. This is cumbersome. If this was my wife, she would have a difficult time doing it.

After swapping out the cup holders, not only did the one which was in the 5306 still not work in the 5206, but now the cup holder that was working fine in the 5206 started malfunctioning in the 5306. He advised to swap them back which I did. Now, neither the 5206 nor the 5306 cup holder controls work. Roman is sending 2 replacement cup holders for each chair and a replacement control box for the 5306.

This whole process of me having to do all the troubleshooting and physically replacing parts is a real pain, especially with the chair design. I bought the extended warranty and service. Not sure what the service company is for when I am the one who is expected to remove parts and replace them myself. I can do it, but what am I paying for with the 5 year Montage Furniture Service Protection Plan?

I am posting this as a buyer beware. I guess these high end theater chairs are like having a BMW or Mercedes. They have a lot of nice features, but when they don't work, it is a pain to get it fixed. At least with a BMW or Mercedes, I am not the one doing the repairs myself.

JT

What are the terms of the extended warranty? I would expect it to be parts and labor! I would expect someone to come to the house, troubleshoot the issue, fix or replace the item.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:33 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It is under manufacturer warranty, and as of now has nothing to do with the extended one.

This is being taken care of as we speak.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
Old 12-05-2015, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tucker View Post

JT
I feel your pain, sorry to hear about it.

I agree with you, the headrest moving forward is a huge disappointment to me as well! I have the same.

So far no issue with the cup holder.

I agree with the support, Roman is responsive but when I told him the "leather" has a problem because the packaging was not done properly, he told me to use a hair dryer to try to fix the issue... The day after I receive the new chair... Really ? More than 3k purchase and I need to use my hair dryer to fix a leather problem...
Old 01-08-2016, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update. It's now been almost two months. Roman sent me new cup holders and new controllers. While the issues seem to be fixed on the 5346 chair, I am still experiencing issues with the 5206 chair. No resolution in site. I've spent several hours performing various troubleshooting tasks asked by Roman. I even bought an APC backup system to plug the chairs into to make sure no power surge or brown out could harm the electronics. I am just hoping the 5346 chair keeps working, but my level of trust is shot. I fully expect it to crap out again.

Accessing the control panel and checking wires in these chairs is a real pain in the arse! I would not make this purchase again. I was not expecting to have to be the service rep, but the real issue is the design of the electronic components. While checking a couple things, e.g. loose wires, is one thing, it is obvious there is a major issue with the chairs I received. Whether I was the unfortunate soul who got the bum chairs or whether this is a quality control issue, I do not know. I just expect better when I am paying $800+ per chair.

I will wait to see how Roman responds.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:54 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 34
James

What you describe can only be related to a bad cup holder or control box.

As I mentioned in my email I will send you a pair of this tomorrow.

Roman

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quick Update: Roman sent a third controller and cup holder. I swapped it out in the 5206 chair, again. A couple things to note. 1) the cupholder harness which houses the wires which connect to the cupholder controls is "very" sensitive. Roman mentioned this after I emailed him a video of the behavior I was seeing. I had the cup holder sitting outside the chair for diagnostic purposes. I was able to replicate some of the odd behavior by slightly pressing on the harness. When I looked at the inside of each cup holder, I noticed excess foam on the inside where the harness faces. Aha! Maybe we are on to something. I tore out the excess foam to ensure that when I placed the cup holders back in there would be nothing that could be touching the harness. After re-installing the cupholders, I double checked that nothing was touching the harnesses by looking at the underside of the cupholder from the bottom of the chair. I then re-attached the plugs to the controller and set the chairs upright again. Time for the big test.

There are two electrical outlets by the chairs; one by the 5206 chair and one by the 5346 chair. I plugged the 5206 chair into the outlet by the 5346 chair. I then went and pressed the "OPEN" button. Immediately, the 5206 goes into full "OPEN" position and the cup holder stops responding. Hmm. I had already checked the outlets and both showed correct wiring. I unplugged the 5206 and plugged it into the outlet by the 5206 chair. I pressed the "CLOSE" button and the chair responded accordingly. In fact, all the controls responded properly. OK. It must be something with the electrical outlet then.

So, I plugged the 5346 chair into the same outlet that I had plugged the 5206 in when it malfunctioned. I pressed the "OPEN" button on the 5346. It functioned properly. "CLOSE" worked properly. The 5346 works as it should.

That is where we are at now. Why would the 5206 malfunction plugged into the same electrical outlet that works fine with the 5346? They have the same electrical components? The good news is that the issue is repeatable and the 5206 does work when plugged into the outlet by it, but I am hoping Roman and I can figure out the root cause of this issue.

It could be that some of the issues were caused by a bad controller/cup holder. Others, by foam maybe touching the harness enough to cause it to reset. But, there is still the remaining issue left to resolve.

Just remember when ordering something this big (physically and financially) it isn't like you can load it up and return it easily. It wouldn't matter who you bought it from. Roman has been excellent and very responsive. I just got the 1 in a 1000 that has issues and not the kind that are easily resolvable.

On a side note: does anyone know if the rubbing sound when opening and closing the chair will go away after some use? It is really loud and irritating; like someone rubbing fingernails across a chalkboard except a lower tone!
Old 01-13-2016, 11:28 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 2296
Test your outlet, you may have hot and neutral switched.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:26 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 2296
Test your outlet, you may have hot and neutral switched.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

I already had checked wiring in both outlets. Both showed wired correctly. It isn't an old home either. House built less than 10 years ago.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Another cup holder malfunction on the 5346 chair. Both my 5346 and 5206 chairs have been plugged into the same outlet for the past 3 months. Thought the issue was resolved and it was just some weird issue with the one electrical outlet. I guess not. Emailed Roman. I am sure he will send me a replacement, but it is beyond a hassle to continue swapping out parts. these chairs were not designed for easy access to the controller and connections.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like it may be a power supply issue with the 5346 since the cup holders keep malfunctioning on that chair. I've gone through 5 or 6 at this point. I now get the fun of performing the replacement of essentially the complete electrical on the 5346 (power supply, controller, and cup holder). I've replaced the cup holders so many times, the screws holes are getting stripped out.

I do not recommend these chairs. Worst purchase I have ever made! I guess I got the lemon. The hours I've lost to swapping out parts and troubleshooting, I can never get back. Buyer beware on these chairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement