HT Seating in living room? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-14-2017, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HT Seating in living room?

My living room and kitchen are one large open space which is how I wanted it built when I built the house. I had no intentions to build a HT dedicated room and just wanted to have two nice living room spaces which are shared for entertaining whether one watches TV or listens to music or not. However I wanted to have as close as possible the best sound and video experience I could afford for that area.

Currently I have a traditional living room couch, love seat, and reclining chair I am looking to replace the chair and love seat being the only reclining seating is the chair. Both are facing the entertainment center. Being this isn't a dedicated HT room how does the community feel about using HT seating to replace the love seat and reclining chair which faces the entertainment center? When asking friends most say I wouldn't have HT seats in a living room. I think there is awesome choices for HT seating that are very appealing but then again it is me. I am single and not married and do not entertain frequently but I do want the seating facing the entertainment system to be optimum. As per the sofa it would stay being it is high quality leather and not very old and doesn't face the entertainment system.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Gary Karczewski; 04-16-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-14-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I'd say go for it. I wanted to do this but wife chose something else.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-15-2017, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karczewski View Post
My living room and kitchen are one large open space which is how I wanted it built when I built the house. I had no intentions to build a HT dedicated room and just wanted to have two nice living room spaces which are shared for entertaining whether one watches TV or listens to music or not. However I wanted to have as close as possible the best sound and video experience I could afford for that area.

Currently I have a traditional living room couch, love seat, and reclining chair I am looking to replace the chair and love seat being the only reclining seating is the chair and both are the entertainment center facing furniture. Being this isn't a dedicated HT room how does the community feel about using HT seating to replace the love seat and reclining chair which faces the entertainment center? When asking friends most say I wouldn't have HT seats in a living room. I think there is awesome choices for HT seating that are very appealing but then again it is me. I am single and not married and do not entertain frequently but I do want the seating facing the entertainment system to be optimum. As per the sofa it would stay being it is high quality leather and not very old and doesn't face the entertainment system.

Thoughts?
I am also going to do this soon. Wife is all for removing sofa for home theater chairs. The idea of reclining, having wine glass holders, table and storage is appealing. Just decided to do some minor renovation work first, before we take the plunge. Some chairs definitely look better than others in the living room setting.

PSN: maleficent127

post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2017, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
I'd say go for it. I wanted to do this but wife chose something else.
I am not married but I have yet to find one woman friend or family who opts for HT seating in the upstairs living room. Most say, well if you do a entertainment room down stairs that would be fine.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-16-2017, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post
I am also going to do this soon. Wife is all for removing sofa for home theater chairs. The idea of reclining, having wine glass holders, table and storage is appealing. Just decided to do some minor renovation work first, before we take the plunge. Some chairs definitely look better than others in the living room setting.
I see and understand the female point of view but here is my argument for moving forward with the HT seating. The room has a nice entertainment center with a 70' TV and 11.2 surround sound! If I had just a living room with no TV I would just do nice leather furniture.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-16-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
I am not married but I have yet to find one woman friend or family who opts for HT seating in the upstairs living room. Most say, well if you do a entertainment room down stairs that would be fine.
Not married no brainer. My wife got oak and leather recliners. While they look nice my ht seats are way more comfortable and has electric recline. With a big tv I think you would like the theater chairs. I do have a dedicated theater downstairs with a curved row 3 ht chairs. That's is the reason why I didn't put up much of a fight.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Not married no brainer. My wife got oak and leather recliners. While they look nice my ht seats are way more comfortable and has electric recline. With a big tv I think you would like the theater chairs. I do have a dedicated theater downstairs with a curved row 3 ht chairs. That's is the reason why I didn't put up much of a fight.
HT seating is great seating if you buy quality and you can try to find a style that isn't so HT looking. Though I have no issues with them. I am considering the following manufactures.

1. Palliser Flicks all Leather

2. Octane Mega

3. Seat Craft Madera

Any thoughts?
post #8 of 9 Old 09-04-2017, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(Bumping the thread, as I'm in the same boat)

Did you take the plunge on the theater seating for your dedicated seating?

I'm also in an open concept apartment where the kitchen area, office, and living room share the same open space. Me and the girlfriend live together and she was all for it (aside from the expense of the chairs, but I told her "you gotta put your money where you put your time", and we watch a lot of TV, so it was an instant approval, lol). We'll probably get a leather matching couch (different seat design likely) at some point in the future, but for now, we have an inherited couch and loveseat we can put along the wall for family and crashing on.

I'm looking at getting some Palliser Elite curved home theater chairs. I've tried 15 of Pallisers current 25 home theater chairs, and while the Elite one wasn't the nicest looking design, it was by far the comfiest we found (the HiFi was a close second, however the leg rests seemed like they were designed for someone taller, as my calves were uncomfortable on them through reclining).

Any additional advice anyone has on this subject would be awesome.

post #9 of 9 Old 09-05-2017, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'm in a similar boat - trying to find seats that may someday be in a living room but will currently be used for a media room / office.

Quote:
HT seating is great seating if you buy quality and you can try to find a style that isn't so HT looking.
I think the style is certainly a very important factor. Other things that might help:

1. Choose a color that matches the rest of your decor, or any "non traditional" home theater chair colors (i.e. anything but black or brown).

2. Some styles allow you to hide cupholders, which are a dead giveaway.

3. Try a loveseat / sofa configuration. The loveseat gives you the best of both worlds, in that it can look almost exactly like any reglar loveseat (depending on the style) while still having all the great functions of a home theater chair (power recline, cupholders, etc.) Sofas can be more problematic, but many manufacturers still have reclining middle seats w/ hidden buttons, or dividers that allow you to add cupholders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page