• 1 Post By GPowers

post #1 of 15 Old 05-03-2017, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Movie poster marquee W/NeoPixels

I really like the way this poster frame upgrade worked out. The lights are neoPixels so they can be controlled with a prepackage device or... you can control each LED (on/off, color, brightness) with a microProcessor like an Arduino. The Arduino is a little more work but was a lot of fun learning the in's and out's of how to wire up and program the Arduino.
rboster likes this.

Last edited by GPowers; 05-03-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-04-2017, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Love the look of the frame. Well done. BTW: I've utilized your fabric frame build thread on several projects. Much appreciated!

Ron
post #3 of 15 Old 05-04-2017, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Love the look of the frame. Well done. BTW: I've utilized your fabric frame build thread on several projects. Much appreciated!

Ron
The Poster Marquee frame was a DIY project just like the Fabric Frames. What floors everyone that see the lights, is the defusers are Ping Pong balls.

Ping Pong balls were used as defusers for the LEDs. Each Ping Pong ball had a hole drill into the bottom. I used hot glue to attach the Ping Pong ball over the LEDs.

This is the glue up of the LEDs (NeoPixels) on the back of the Mirror stock. Hot glue was also used here.

Last edited by GPowers; 05-04-2017 at 09:27 AM.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-04-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
That is genius. Well done!
post #5 of 15 Old 05-04-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I like it! Looks great. I did something similar with my door sign. I took a cheapo walmart/hobby lobby special but then drilled holes and hot glued in some led christmas lights, it really makes it look like an $$$ sign.

prican2000 likes this.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #6 of 15 Old 05-04-2017, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post
I like it! Looks great. I did something similar with my door sign. I took a cheapo walmart/hobby lobby special but then drilled holes and hot glued in some led christmas lights, it really makes it look like an $$$ sign.
Your Theater sign look great. It adds to creating the theater experience.

I love all the new possibilities that are available to us with the onslaught of LED products. Anything from plain white led tape strips to anything you want with the individual addressable NeoPixels. Plus addressable LED are available as individual LEDs on tiny PCB, LED tapes, PCB rings, PCB bars, or strung on wire like christmas lights. Then you add in off the shelf controllers, wall controllers and for the DIY a self programed/self built Arduino Microcontroller.

Just depends how much time you have.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-04-2017, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is a link to a youtube video of some of the lighting animation I have programed into the Arduino. Your imagination is the limit as to what you can program into the Arduino to create all kinds of lighting effects.

Anthony Cler and Tedd like this.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-04-2017, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post
The Poster Marquee frame was a DIY project just like the Fabric Frames. What floors everyone that see the lights, is the defusers are Ping Pong balls.

Ping Pong balls were used as defusers for the LEDs. Each Ping Pong ball had a hole drill into the bottom. I used hot glue to attach the Ping Pong ball over the LEDs.

This is the glue up of the LEDs (NeoPixels) on the back of the Mirror stock. Hot glue was also used here.
Greg, watched the video. Great job! I wasn't concerned about the programming side, just the strip lights really, then discovered you used ping pong balls. Love it.

I may start small (lights) with no chasing and work my way up to something a little more elaborate. Thanks for the info.

Bud
post #9 of 15 Old 05-06-2017, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Very nice!
post #10 of 15 Old 05-06-2017, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 772
The Arduino is a great kit, my son and I both like running it on a rainy day.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-12-2017, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

I really like the way this poster frame upgrade worked out. The lights are neoPixels so they can be controlled with a prepackage device or... you can control each LED (on/off, color, brightness) with a microProcessor like an Arduino. The Arduino is a little more work but was a lot of fun learning the in's and out's of how to wire up and program the Arduino.
This is exactly what I am looking to do. I took a look at the NeoPixels, but couldn't figure out exactly what products you used. Would you mind providing links to the products you used for the lights and the animation?

Thanks! I really appreciate you help!
Ron
post #12 of 15 Old 06-13-2017, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_C View Post
This is exactly what I am looking to do. I took a look at the NeoPixels, but couldn't figure out exactly what products you used. Would you mind providing links to the products you used for the lights and the animation?

Thanks! I really appreciate you help!
Ron
I bought the NeoPixels on eBay. The title of the auctions was "Wholesale WS2811 LED Pixel Digital Diffused 12mm RGB Light P68 5V" I selected the 5 volt option in the square form factor, a string of 50 ( I had to splice in an additional 4 NeoPixels as i needed 54). The eBay price was great, BUT I had to wait 4 weeks to get the NeoPixels from China. I found something similar on Amazon at http://a.co/8pgnfcs. You need to realize that the PING PONG balls are used as a diffuser to make the little LEDs appear larger and more like a commercial Marquee.

The animation was done with a DIY Arduino Nano. The software is a DIY modified NeoPixel sketch from Adafruit. There is an article/tutoral on the Adafruit website called Adafruit NeoPixel Überguide https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-...guide/overview. The NeoPixel sketch download is also available in the tutorial.

I rolled my own animator as a way to learn more about the Arduino. I am sure you can find a commercial animator driver on Amazon if you do not want to create your own.

Below is a photo of the back of the Marquee. It shows the Arduino Nano, and the power supply for the 5 volt NeoPixels.

prican2000 likes this.

Last edited by GPowers; 06-13-2017 at 02:10 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-17-2017, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
That is really cool! I want posters like this around my theater room. I like the idea of the controls you placed on it.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 9
very impressive, how much time did it take you?
post #15 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
WOW!!!!!!! This is FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!

I am currently in the process of building lighted movie poster boxes (x3) for my theater room but I think that I will build something similar to this for the steps down/entrance to the basement theater.

Thank You so much for sharing the information - I'm sure I'll have more questions when I start the project.

A United States Marine -
No Better Friend - No Worst Enemy!

Preview the "Prican Lounge" here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...-s-lounge.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page