Palliser so damned hard ! Returning ... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 07-18-2017, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thumbs down Palliser so damned hard ! Returning ...

I was so excited to get my new three seat Palliser Collingwood seats today.researched seating to death and settled on Palliser Collingwood. Power adjustable headrest was a big selling point. Chairs looked big and comfy. Well this is the first and last time I buy anything without trying it first
These things are beyond firm. The middle pillow section sticks out more than the sides further compounding the problem. Had a rep at 4 seating go on to floor and compare the two I had narrowed down to. He said this one was little more firm than the other brand but that the headrest was "much" softer.
Well I have three power recline couches in my house right now. My oldest is super high end very nice and soft everywhere. My new one downstairs was cheaper and a little on firm side but I got used to it within a day. Then you have the Palliser which is like a rock compared to my softest one.

I just dont get how so many people seem to love these if they are so damn firm. I'm a fairly big guy 6 2' 260. You'd think I would sink into any chair. It barely budges. Just feels like you are on top of a bunch of individual sections. Best way I can describe it. Headrest not anything like a pillow.

Now I need to see if there is something else I want from them and just pay return shipping or return all together and pay resturn shipping plus 30% restocking

Very disappointing.

Here is link to seats in question
https://4seating.com/palliser-home-t...r-seating.html

HT #1 Yamaha AVENTAGE 2030 /Dalite 133 built in /Ben Q W1500 / SVS PB1000 Sub / Bose (I know) / 65 in Panasonic Plasma in bedroom

HT#2 (in progress) Seaton Catalyst 12C L/C/R / JVC RS4500 / Yamaha 3060 / still need screen and sub.

Last edited by dllhg; 07-18-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 07-18-2017, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting thing I just noticed. One of the chairs appears to be broken in. Doesn't look used except the pillow by the head doesn't bulge out quite as high. I sat in that one and it was much better. Not nearly as soft as I like but night and day difference from the other two chairs. Wondering if it was a demo or something. It is the middle chair with two arms on it but you would think they would make the cushions all the same.
This one is acceptable atleast. I am wondering how much softer they get with proper break in. Only have 7 days to decide however.

HT #1 Yamaha AVENTAGE 2030 /Dalite 133 built in /Ben Q W1500 / SVS PB1000 Sub / Bose (I know) / 65 in Panasonic Plasma in bedroom

HT#2 (in progress) Seaton Catalyst 12C L/C/R / JVC RS4500 / Yamaha 3060 / still need screen and sub.
post #3 of 33 Old 07-18-2017, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked: 849
what material are the chairs? i have a stickley recliner out of down feather and its like a pillow...most of my furniture is foam tho...hope you figure it out
unretarded likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP

post #4 of 33 Old 07-18-2017, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
weve had palliser seating in the store before and its all been fine. new stuff will be more firm for a bit, should soften up a tad. Just like whne you get a new thick pillow top mattress it will pack down

I have not sat in a collinwood yet, but la z boy this style ( big domed, and poofy ) I dont find that comfortable though
post #5 of 33 Old 07-18-2017, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 688
I bought a big huge nice living room couch a while back, it is just me, so I sit in the prime spot.......maybe a couple months later and that spot was wallowed out and almost too soft....night and day difference from the spots no one sits in....I am 5-11,200lbs.

I know foam based seating will break in and get softer, some of the cheap ones get too soft in less than a year...........

Seating is a hard one to get right, I bet I sat on 50 different couches in a 30 mile radius from my house at different stores an now a year later my prime MLP is wallowed out and too soft, still looks new and the rest of the seats are still firm like new.

I am considering researching furniture foam and just inserting some new/better quality foam as it has zippered cushions..........took me forever to find one I liked and one that would fit right in the room.

Goo luck, maybe sit in the seat as much as possible over the next few days....like camp out in it....

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #6 of 33 Old 07-18-2017, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
its pretty easy to stiffen up a seat ( really it is, we do this at work) you can get foams from all over, could add a wave spring, or two. also most couch backs are just dacron/polyfill. usually a zipper under the back cushion, if not take the dust cover off and a zipper inside the couch. Ive been doing this at work for upwards of 15 years now. the only real pain is seats that are countoured, or have panels at angles to get them just right
post #7 of 33 Old 07-19-2017, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I feel the same way about my Palliser seats - very firm. They have gotten softer over time, but not considerably. However, we dont use them very often. My big complaint is the leather is "slippery" so I constantly slide forward which is really annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 33 Old 07-19-2017, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
I feel the same way about my Palliser seats - very firm. They have gotten softer over time, but not considerably. However, we dont use them very often. My big complaint is the leather is "slippery" so I constantly slide forward which is really annoying.

I tried them some more last night and I don't see these ever getting anywhere near soft. I sit in my other couches and I sink in a bit. This thing I sit on top of the cushions. Bummer.

NOw what do I do? I wish there were good showrooms around here. I'm near San Francisco so you would think there would be decent amount. Maybe I need to look into three recliners instead. I don't have a lot of faith with these theatre seats after this. I saw a YouTube review of a berkline where you could see the head rest cushion wrap around the guys head when he used the power head rest. Looked so soft and comfortable. Too bad they aren't around anymore.
post #9 of 33 Old 07-19-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllhg View Post
I tried them some more last night and I don't see these ever getting anywhere near soft. I sit in my other couches and I sink in a bit. This thing I sit on top of the cushions. Bummer.

NOw what do I do? I wish there were good showrooms around here. I'm near San Francisco so you would think there would be decent amount. Maybe I need to look into three recliners instead. I don't have a lot of faith with these theatre seats after this. I saw a YouTube review of a berkline where you could see the head rest cushion wrap around the guys head when he used the power head rest. Looked so soft and comfortable. Too bad they aren't around anymore.

If i were to redo my seating purchase, I would probably go for a big comfy sectional or individual recliners if I only needed 3-4 seats.

post #10 of 33 Old 07-19-2017, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
If i were to redo my seating purchase, I would probably go for a big comfy sectional or individual recliners if I only needed 3-4 seats.

I wonder if it is normal for theater seats to be on the firm side. I keep trying to like the one that is broken in. Its pretty comfortable. What ruins it is when I sit on my other power reclined couch. I sink into it. It cradles my body and more importantly my neck and head.

Yeah I only need three. I will have a couple folding recliners if we ever need seating for more. My fault for buying without trying. I found one place that had Palliser and it was way firm too. Was a totally different model but turns out the firmness is the same.

If I go with three recliners I think it will be too wide. Need to look into that option I think.

post #11 of 33 Old 07-19-2017, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 48
All three seats should be exactly the same, I think yours is defective.

I have three passiler couches in my house and two giant palliser chairs. I love them, but now that you mention it, they probably are a little firmer than other brands. I don't like the ones you sink into, reminds me an old couch and with no support.
post #12 of 33 Old 07-19-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I wonder if it is normal for theater seats to be on the firm side. I keep trying to like the one that is broken in. Its pretty comfortable. What ruins it is when I sit on my other power reclined couch. I sink into it. It cradles my body and more importantly my neck and head.

Yeah I only need three. I will have a couple folding recliners if we ever need seating for more. My fault for buying without trying. I found one place that had Palliser and it was way firm too. Was a totally different model but turns out the firmness is the same.

If I go with three recliners I think it will be too wide. Need to look into that option I think.

Im guessing there are some really comfortable theater chairs out there, but we obviously didnt find them!

unretarded likes this.
post #13 of 33 Old 07-19-2017, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I tried the Palliser Media model, and it seemed pretty soft. But each person has there own definition of soft.
post #14 of 33 Old 07-20-2017, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

I have given this much consideration over the last few days. This morning I almost decided to keep them. Here is the thing, When you first sit in it not reclined it seems like one of the most uncomfortable chairs I have ever sat in. Not a good thing to feel about a relatively expensive purchase. When you recline it gets much better. Still pretty firm. If you dont move much it feels fine. I am positive it would be just fine for watching a full length film in. I just cant justify nearly $4K for "fine" on a few seats.

I have been talking a lot with 4seating who I bought the Palliser from. I have asked separate sales people to go out on the floor and tell me which is the softest chair they have. Both came back with the same answer. Seeing how they have one of the largest selection of theater seats available you can find anywhere I have decided to roll the dice one more time.
They both said the Seatcraft Equinox was the softest. They did back to back with the Palliser Collingwood I have and said it is considerably softer. Has memory foam plus a gel layer on top. Top grain leather. Power recline, lumbar and headrest. It also has a memory setting for the seat. I found myself constantly fumbling with the controls on the Paliiser. Not ergonomic at all IMO. I am sure with time I would get used to the placement but this other model is super intuitive with one toggle switch for both recline and headrest. One of my biggest complaints with the power seats is having to get it in the right spot everytime. I cant see any reason why they dont all have a memory setting as the cost would be insignificant. I doubt I would use the lumbar but we will see.

Luckily they take returns. If I get another item from them they only charge me for the shipping for the return and I believe the shipping of new chairs. I could fly down to their showroom for about $500 in airfare plus taxi and about 12 hours total of my time. I was about to pull the trigger on doing just that but decided to trust the people that work there and their ability to judge firmness VS softness. They were all very happy to go on the floor and go back and forth between them while on the phone which I really appreciated. A different store almost convinced me to go with their Octane Dream HR . He said it was their softess but was going by memory of sitting in one and didnt have a showroom to go try it out on. Saw a lot of mixed reviews on that line. Atleast the Seatcreaft appear to be made in the US and for less than a couple bills will give me a 5 year warranty that covers everything including accidental damage.

I cant believe how difficult this who theater seat shopping has been. I really hope I am happy with thew new choice I made. Last resort is going with three recliners I know are comfortable and can get with power headrest.

post #15 of 33 Old 07-21-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I have given this much consideration over the last few days. This morning I almost decided to keep them. Here is the thing, When you first sit in it not reclined it seems like one of the most uncomfortable chairs I have ever sat in. Not a good thing to feel about a relatively expensive purchase. When you recline it gets much better. Still pretty firm. If you dont move much it feels fine. I am positive it would be just fine for watching a full length film in. I just cant justify nearly $4K for "fine" on a few seats.

I have been talking a lot with 4seating who I bought the Palliser from. I have asked separate sales people to go out on the floor and tell me which is the softest chair they have. Both came back with the same answer. Seeing how they have one of the largest selection of theater seats available you can find anywhere I have decided to roll the dice one more time.

They both said the Seatcraft Equinox was the softest. They did back to back with the Palliser Collingwood I have and said it is considerably softer. Has memory foam plus a gel layer on top. Top grain leather. Power recline, lumbar and headrest. It also has a memory setting for the seat. I found myself constantly fumbling with the controls on the Paliiser. Not ergonomic at all IMO. I am sure with time I would get used to the placement but this other model is super intuitive with one toggle switch for both recline and headrest. One of my biggest complaints with the power seats is having to get it in the right spot everytime. I cant see any reason why they dont all have a memory setting as the cost would be insignificant. I doubt I would use the lumbar but we will see.

Luckily they take returns. If I get another item from them they only charge me for the shipping for the return and I believe the shipping of new chairs. I could fly down to their showroom for about $500 in airfare plus taxi and about 12 hours total of my time. I was about to pull the trigger on doing just that but decided to trust the people that work there and their ability to judge firmness VS softness. They were all very happy to go on the floor and go back and forth between them while on the phone which I really appreciated. A different store almost convinced me to go with their Octane Dream HR . He said it was their softess but was going by memory of sitting in one and didnt have a showroom to go try it out on. Saw a lot of mixed reviews on that line. Atleast the Seatcreaft appear to be made in the US and for less than a couple bills will give me a 5 year warranty that covers everything including accidental damage.

I cant believe how difficult this who theater seat shopping has been. I really hope I am happy with thew new choice I made. Last resort is going with three recliners I know are comfortable and can get with power headrest.

Good luck - I hope it works out!

post #16 of 33 Old 07-21-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finding comfortable seating is getting harder as I get older, I am considerably more picky..........

post #17 of 33 Old 07-21-2017, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
They both said the Seatcraft Equinox was the softest. They did back to back with the Palliser Collingwood I have and said it is considerably softer. Has memory foam plus a gel layer on top. Top grain leather. Power recline, lumbar and headrest. It also has a memory setting for the seat.
It's interesting that 4Seating says that the Equinox has the "gel" seating. Both the Seatcraft site and 4Seating mention the gel on several models, but not the Equinox. It's very possible that it does since it's one of their high-end models, but it's strange that they don't mention it. Also, on some seats it says the gel is just for cooling, on others it says it makes the seat softer too (i.e. the Belmont, which is about the same price as the Equinox if you're concerned).

Also, I hope they gave you a good deal on your new order, since they started a 10% off sale today.

Last edited by D.P. Roberts; 07-21-2017 at 03:16 PM.
post #18 of 33 Old 07-21-2017, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Confirmed the return with them today. Couldn't have been easier. Will actually get a refund since these are $100 per chair cheaper. Confirmed this one does have the memory gel. Everyone there I have talked to said this is their best seller and that every time someone sits in it on their showroom they choose this model . Guy I spoke with today compared it to the Sonoma. Said that one has a softer seat cushion but the Equinox has a softer back. Sonoma has a softer head rest but he said it didnt support your head as well and keep it centered like the Equinox . That and the fact it didnt have memory setting and had four buttons Vs the single toggle button for everything made me confident in my decision. Cool guys over there. Always willing to jump out in the showroom floor and compare models for you which is very helpful. I just wish I had done that more before I bought the first one.
unretarded and zoro25 like this.

post #19 of 33 Old 07-23-2017, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
You should always try out any seating furniture before buying it. Visit few furniture stores and select the most suitable theater seating.

Ashley HomeStore
post #20 of 33 Old 07-24-2017, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Nice one , dllhg , good luck. Please post an update comparing your new seats to the Pallisers once they arrive
post #21 of 33 Old 07-24-2017, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyjohn View Post
You should always try out any seating furniture before buying it. Visit few furniture stores and select the most suitable theater seating.
its hard to have the chance to test out home theater furniture... not a lot of stores carry real HT chairs
post #22 of 33 Old 07-26-2017, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
seats finally came in.. I cant wait to try these babies out..
post #23 of 33 Old 08-01-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@dllhg please let us know how the Seatcraft works out in terms of comfort.

My wife and I visited Furnitureland South last weekend and there was an entire room of dedicated to Palliser theater models (maybe 10 different ones). They were beautiful to look at with the blue glow, but every single one, for us at least, was like sitting on slabs of granite!

We are smaller people (I am 5'6" 135, my wife a bit smaller). One thing we know we want is the grommets for a tray or tablet holder. But I could not bring myself to buying such hard seats. We sat in a FlexSteel Niko and omg that was sooo nice and soft, but no grommets or lighting, and not modular.
post #24 of 33 Old 08-03-2017, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

I will update you guys when I get them. They just told e they are getting them in on the 8th. Then they have to send to white glove last time took an additional week. Should have them in a couple weeks. They will pick up the Palliser when they deliver the new ones which I thought was nice.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I really like that they have a memory button as well. Especially with adjustable headrest.

post #25 of 33 Old 08-07-2017, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I will update you guys when I get them. They just told e they are getting them in on the 8th. Then they have to send to white glove last time took an additional week. Should have them in a couple weeks. They will pick up the Palliser when they deliver the new ones which I thought was nice.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I really like that they have a memory button as well. Especially with adjustable headrest.

Curious to hear your thoughts on the new ones.

I agree with a few of the comments that seating you have to try in person. It's very subjective on what someone feels is comfortable. Body types are different, etc. Especially seating as expensive as you're buying. I am surprised you were not able to find a Palliser dealer reasonably near you.

We have 6 power recline Palliser stereo seats and I find them to be very comfortable, soft, yet firm enough that you are supported. Palliser makes a bunch of seats though and I definitely sat in some that "looked" comfortable and soft and I found them horrible. again all in the personal preference and you have to TRY before you buy

Good luck with the swap hopefully these new ones knock your socks off

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basement Theater/Rec Build 2.0 - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...ng-advice.html
post #26 of 33 Old 08-08-2017, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Yes, would really like to hear how it turns out. We too are looking for new seating that is comfy but has the power recline and power headrest, plus accessories (tables, etc) we lack now (just manual theater seat recliners, but they're really comfortable).

I do like the memory function on the Seatcraft. A nice touch.
post #27 of 33 Old 08-12-2017, 05:04 PM

My wife and I returned to furnitureland south today (place is massive) and ended up in the outlet building that had the Mendoza model (which was not in the main palliser showroom). One sit in the Mendoza and immediately I knew it was exactly the soft cushy pillowy comfort we were looking for!

They had other palliser theater models in the outlet as well, after sitting in them all as well as he main showroom, the Mendoza is fundamentally different than any of the others. Really I think the plan is to order Mendoza in the color/leather/config we want.

Wondering if anyone has ordered any palliser in the 6000 leather / happiness with that, or any of the other leather options?

Last edited by ronaldjeremy; 08-12-2017 at 05:48 PM.
post #28 of 33 Old 08-12-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will be hunting down some sort of showroom for my next purchase......undecided if I am going to stick with dedicated theater seating or not.........

post #29 of 33 Old 08-12-2017, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked: 849
all i can say is that if you sit in pillowy soft, very expensive down stickley qualitly 10k quality chairs day in and day out your back will die...hard chairs will soften over time if sat in daily...check out car/truck seats

now if you only plan on sitting in these chairs once a weak, get the pillowy soft down chairs. just my opinion. ofc i am 220lbs also and retired so sit around alot btw i low stickley recliners

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #30 of 33 Old 08-12-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
all i can say is that if you sit in pillowy soft, very expensive down stickley qualitly 10k quality chairs day in and day out your back will die...hard chairs will soften over time if sat in daily...check out car/truck seats

now if you only plan on sitting in these chairs once a weak, get the pillowy soft down chairs. just my opinion. ofc i am 220lbs also and retired so sit around alot btw i low stickley recliners
220lbs is ginormous to us smaller folk. We would be sitting on them nightly for a couple hours after the kids are in bed, but our < 140lb frames I don't think would put a dent into some of the other palliser models we sat on with any amount of time. in a former life i spent more hours than i'd like to admit playing halo on xbox in the pillowiest la-z-boy ever. back discomfort never even appeared on the radar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page