Stir Crazy & Flavacol, Flavacol clumps up in oil - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2017, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Stir Crazy & Flavacol, Flavacol clumps up in oil

Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have a 6 qt Stir Crazy popcorn popper that I love in general. I just recently discovered the secret ingredient of Flavacol to try to match movie theater popcorn, but I can't get it right.

The issue is that the Flavacol doesn't seem to adhere to the popcorn. I get a tiny bit of flavor on the popcorn but not much. When it's done popping, the Flavacol seems to be all clumped up in the oil and sticking to the heating surface. Not "stuck" as in can't clean it up, it wipes up easily, I just mean it basically forms a paste with the oil that clings to the heating surface.

Or is that normal? Do you usually end up with a good amount of Flavacol left in the bottom of the popper, whatever kind of popper one uses?

I've tried both adding the oil, popcorn, and Flavacol all at once. I've tried putting the oil in and letting it heat up using the 3 kernel rule, and adding the popcorn and Flavacol after that. I've tried different amounts of Flavacol from about half a teaspoon up to a heaping tablespoon. The more I use, the more I just end up with left on the bottom.

Any other recommendations on what to try? Right now, the Flavacol isn't really enhancing the flavor of the popcorn any.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-15-2017, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I use coconut oil. Let it heat up the add flavorcal, then have the stirrer stir up the salt, then add the corn works perfect every time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 08-16-2017, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I add the coconut oil and the Flavacol right after I turn on the heating element. Once the oil melts, I add the corn. I've tried letting the oil heat up first and then adding the corn, but I like the flavor more if I add the corn as soon as the oil melts. You'll have some seasoning that stays in the kettle, but it shouldn't be a large amount.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-16-2017, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use a whirly pop stove top popper, and I add the coconut oil, let it melt down then add the kernels then the flavacol and give it a good stir, it seems to work just fine for me. I sometimes add a dusting of extra flavacol after it's been popped if I feel it needs it.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-16-2017, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks everyone!

I used to just use vegetable oil but have recently purchased coconut oil. I get the clumping of the Flavacol regardless of which oil I use.

Most of the posts I had seen before said to head up the oil (many use the 3 kernel test), then add the popcorn and flavacol, but no details on whether to add both at the same time or one before the other. So the last couple times I heated the oil, then added both the popcorn and flavacol at the same time. I had previously just put all 3 in the popper cold and turned it on.

I'll give it a try heating the oil first, then adding the flavacol and let it mix in with the oil a bit before adding the popcorn.

One other thought I had, I wonder if I could be using either too much or too little oil. I use 3 tbsp of oil. Not sure why that amount specifically. I'm sure I read it somewhere either in the popper instructions or on a package of popcorn. I don't think the popped popcorn comes out excessively oily or chewy, so I don't think I'm using too much oil in that respect. Any thoughts on the amount of oil?

Once I get a chance to try it out, I'll post back my results.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page