Velvet Curtains - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-16-2017, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Velvet Curtains

I am looking to purchase some black velvet curtains to put on the side walls of our HT. The WAF on curtains is much higher than making velvet panels to put up so im exploring this option. I have 10' ceilings and want to have the curtains be 6-7' long so that is at least 6' when they are extended. I plan to do a track on the ceiling so that when they are not in use I can tie them up with a half way decent looking rope. I will also put a 9" "skirt" up top covering the full length of the 6' track so it looks nicer. I saw that 4seating has some curtain options but i dont know about the fabric they use. i actually just order some Seatcraft Helios seats and when i did i inquired about the curtains. I am ok going this route as long as they use a nice light rejecting velvet but i have no frame of reference as to what that is. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some nice triple black level curtains? I am a mechanical engineer by trade but i have no desire to attempt making my own at this point in time. Also for the screen wall i will be covering it in the joanns black velvet fabric. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 AM

Liked: 13
http://www.homedepot.com/s/black%252...urtains?NCNI-5

Check those out! I bought a set awhile ago - no complaints.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 88
How close to the projection path will the curtains be? This is one of those YMMV situations, but I tried a few of the store bought models, including the Home Depot ones, and found them a bit to reflective for my preference. Another series from Bed Bath & Beyond practically sparkled. Seems, logically so, that a lot of the store bought models want you to easily tell that they're velvet, so they have a slight sheen/reflectivivity to them. I'd try to find displays of the models you end up looking at in stores to get an idea of if it would be distracting when using the projector.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mediaman- that is certainly an option that I will look into. I planned initially on trying to find something near the 10ft range to get closer to the floor

Mob- I apologize that was probably pretty important information that I left out. I am looking at throwing a 140" image on my wall which would give me 16" on each side as well as 16" from my ceiling. As I said above I plan on covering the screen wall with the joanns black velvet but ideally would like to find something that Matches so it looks nice and performs similarly. Thank you
post #5 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any windows in play on the side walls where you'd need blackout? If not, it opens the store bought options up a bit. Side note, the Home Depot set that Mediaman listed above does have a 120" x 100" variety, so you'd have your 10' height to use a ceiling track. You'd just want to see if you could find a display to determine for yourself if the reflective nature is too much. Incidentally, of the store bought versions I looked at, the Home Depot one was not as bad as some others. From what I recall, they were a bit lighter than the Triple Black from JoAnn and definitely more reflective, though not to the point of shiny sparkly that some were.

For me, in addition to my main drapes, I needed some custom slant shaped curtains for the wall, so I just bought the fabric I wanted and found someone close by who could make the drapes for me.

post #6 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have any windows and it will be a completely light controlled room. I am painting the ceiling black but the wife said no to black walls so we will be doing a red/burgundy color for the walls which is why I wanted to do some 6-7 foot curtains for the 2 side walls. I must not have looked enough as I only saw a 94" version but I will look again. Can I ask what material you used to create your curtains? How did they come out and were you overall happy with the product and cost? I don't know anyone right now that could make them by if I put some time in I imagine I could find someone. Thank you
post #7 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbowtie View Post
I don't have any windows and it will be a completely light controlled room. I am painting the ceiling black but the wife said no to black walls so we will be doing a red/burgundy color for the walls which is why I wanted to do some 6-7 foot curtains for the 2 side walls. I must not have looked enough as I only saw a 94" version but I will look again. Can I ask what material you used to create your curtains? How did they come out and were you overall happy with the product and cost? I don't know anyone right now that could make them by if I put some time in I imagine I could find someone. Thank you
I was going for the red velvet theater look, even though it's kind of the opposite of normal. Instead of curtains opening to reveal a screen, I needed curtains closing over a window then the screen dropping down in front. I went with the Jockey Red velvet from Hobby Lobby. The reds that JoAnn had were not quite the right shade. They came out great. She did a great job sewing them, though she said the velvet was really tough to work with combining with the blackout material. But the end result is great. Almost zero light bleed, and almost no reflection from the projector.

Cost was a bit steep, in part because of the two unique side pieces I needed. I have a 4' knee wall with a sloped ceiling, and wanted curtains to go on the front wall to blend with the drapes that would close to cover the window. So she had to make two panels that were on a 45 degree angle in addition to the two normal panels with blackout material. I think I ended up paying her $800 which included the cost of the blackout material and the work. I bought the velvet myself, but had a 40% off or the like. Overall, very happy with the results. Attaching a couple pics for reference. One closed, one open, and one in "theater mode", where they're nearly invisible. The light bleed you see on the left with the drapes closed is because I've been too lazy to cut a 30' cable for the screen control, so I have the drapes parted so the IR receiver can get a signal from the Harmony Hub. It's a to-do list item. The light bleed you see in the middle with the theater powered on is what it's like if I don't fix the overlap when I close the drapes. If I'm watching a movie during the day, I take the extra few seconds to fluff the drape and that light bleed is gone.

BTW. The 10' Home Depot Panels: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Exclusive...-120/301624303
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Theater Drapes Open.jpg (411.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Theater Drapes.jpg (691.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Face Front.jpg (545.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Moebius; 08-20-2017 at 08:39 AM. Reason: This time with pics!
post #8 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I went with black velvet curtains from this vendor on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was very happy with the value and quality. These are very heavy and totally blackout. They have multiple hanging options already sewn in. I used the sewn in loops on the back to feed the rod through for a 'wavy' look to the way they hang. My windows are actually only about 2' high, but I got the 96" length to cover the wall from floor to ceiling.

Since the individual panels come in 50" widths, you can see the white (blackout cloth) backing in the photo. So you need to arrange the way they hang or fasten the edges to hide the white backing. I used pins to fasten the panel edges together. Photo was taken before that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page