Where are the cheap theater seats? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By D.P. Roberts
  • 1 Post By jjackkrash

post #1 of 18 Old 08-22-2017, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Where are the cheap theater seats?

I have been scouring the web for cheap/affordable cinema/theater style seating, and I can't seem to find anything like what I am looking for.

I am looking at a budget of not more than $200 per chair, and less if I can get away with it.

I see a ton of theater style seats out there, but they tend to sell in the $400+ per seat (plus shipping) range for a high back rockers, unless of course you are buying 1K+ chairs... I need 3.

Unfortunately, I can't use Berkline style chairs as they are all just too big to fit the space I have to place them. I have a bit of a unique situation where my riser is a circular platform, and I have found that the fixed cinema style seats will fit much better.

I have been looking at alternatives such as this and even gaming chairs like this.

Those are in the right price range, and I realize they aren't commercial quality chairs, but that's not what I am looking for. They look pretty nice, would work alright in my theater aesthetically and functionally, but they just aren't what I want.

They don't have cupholders, the seats don’t flip up and out of the way, they aren’t attached, they spin and I feel like they just don’t exactly have that cinema vibe overall.

I have been watching craigslist and ebay for used chairs, but I have yet to see anything listed that would work for my theme.

I have looked at used theater chair dealers, but they all sell in lots, not individual chairs.

I am trying to find cinema style chairs with a quality (or lack thereof really) and price point of a $150-$200 office chair. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I haven't seen anything in that price range that resembles a standard theater chair.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-22-2017, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
How about this?

post #4 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. Roberts View Post
How about this?
Yeah, I saw that one and even mocked it up in sketchup, but 3 of them won't fit on the revolve without hanging over too much.

Guess I will just keep checking craigslist.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 09:04 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked: 3240
post #6 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Saw that too. All the good ones come in 1K+ lots though. Ugh.
That tiny $115 one looks uncomfortable too.
Might just have to bite the bullet and spend the $1,500 on some decent chairs. Would rather spend $300 though.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Would something like this work?
post #8 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintwar View Post
Saw that too. All the good ones come in 1K+ lots though. Ugh.
That tiny $115 one looks uncomfortable too.
Might just have to bite the bullet and spend the $1,500 on some decent chairs. Would rather spend $300 though.
You can find a lot of good chairs for under $500/seat. 4Seating's Clearance Page often has seats for $250-$300 per seat if you're not too picky about styles or colors. There are some good seats available now for $300-$350 each.
GlocksRock likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 09:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked: 3240
post #10 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 88
At $200 per chair, your best bet for theater style is looking for auctions of used theater seats. http://www.assetsnowauctions.com/ has them on occasion, usually for $10-$30 a piece, and they'll even ship.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 88
On a related note, if you could up the budget to the $300 range, Celebrity Seating does get there. I got 4 Star Delight Rocker series chairs at ~$330 a pop including shipping. Overall, I'd say they're a bit more comfy than my local theater chain uses. They're primarily our overflow row, having 4 Fusion Jive recliners in the first row, but I'll occasionally still use the second row just for the fun of the theater style seat.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Craigslist.

Costco occasionally has very nice power reclining leather chairs than have gone on sale for as low as $350 (I got three when they were $400), but they are seasonal.
rboster likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-05-2017, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

I do have family in S. Fla who would be able to help me out, so I check the Ft. Lauderdale craigslist listings along with my Richmond listings daily. I have also reached out to one guy selling a large lot on Ebay, but he lost interest in the sale after having a hard time trying to figure out how to pack only 3 of them to ship...

Not a big fan of the style of those chairs in Central FL. I know they say beggars can't be choosers, but I have a lot of patience, so I will just hold out until I find what I want at the price I want.

I would also prefer not to have to reupholster them, but I am certainly willing to entertain the possibility if I can find the right chairs.

I am willing to drive a few hours to get them too, so I make sure I add a decent search radius in local searches.

The main reason I need the cinema style chairs is for the small footprint of the feet/legs, as I need to slide a row of 3 as far back on an 8' diameter circle platform as I possibly can.

I will keep an eye out on assetsnowauctions.com. One thing I have been trying to do is find nearby auctions for cinemas being renovated to see if I can maybe talk the purchaser of the chairs into selling a few of them to me for a slight markup from what he plans to sell them for. No real luck finding any though.

Thanks for the tips guys!
post #14 of 18 Old 09-05-2017, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ikea Seating

I too was looking for cheap seating for my theater. I am also in an old house with a very tiny staircase so it needed to be something I could get upstairs. I opted for Ikea Poang chairs (with the center seating being an Ikea sofa. New, they run about $100 depending on the cushion. I had two already and found several more through Craigslist for about $30 a piece. A handful of bottles of Rit dye and I had matching cushions. They're cheap, easy to move around, and a nice lounger feel to them. My next step is to build cup holders for each chair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21200586_10155022993727799_1143799940963310904_o.jpg (381.4 KB, 47 views)
post #15 of 18 Old 09-15-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Back in post 3 someone mentioned this seat:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CZY0ROC...rum-convert-20

I decided to give it a try for $173 and free shipping when my regular HT seat broke and wasn't worth trying to fix thanks to the dreaded bonded leather flaking. I went even cheaper because I didn't want to bother with a good chair since the plan is to start looking for a new house 700 miles away and moves tend to be hard on good stuff.

Well, it arrived today in great condition and I'll give it heavy use to see how it holds up (not suppose to be any kind of leather/bonded leather), and if it might be good for a secondary limited use row. So far it is not too bad for the money even without a cup holder. Only time and my backside will tell if add an extra row of cheap seats to the HT in the next house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02086a.jpg (245.5 KB, 33 views)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/14 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-16-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
Back in post 3 someone mentioned this seat:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CZY0ROC...rum-convert-20

I decided to give it a try for $173 and free shipping when my regular HT seat broke and wasn't worth trying to fix thanks to the dreaded bonded leather flaking. I went even cheaper because I didn't want to bother with a good chair since the plan is to start looking for a new house 700 miles away and moves tend to be hard on good stuff.

Well, it arrived today in great condition and I'll give it heavy use to see how it holds up (not suppose to be any kind of leather/bonded leather), and if it might be good for a secondary limited use row. So far it is not too bad for the money even without a cup holder. Only time and my backside will tell if add an extra row of cheap seats to the HT in the next house.
What is: Made of Eco-Friendly Leather?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #17 of 18 Old 09-16-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Never mind. I found the answer in the 'Questions' section.

Quote:
Looks to me that is bonded leather, the real leather has a particular smell and this one is neutral.
By Jose Giron on July 27, 2016
Not real or bonded "leather"--cover is PU (polyurethane) a faux (false) "leather." Read in the description on the left side middle of the page. Ignore the eco-friendly leather; untrue.
By Chavela on August 30, 2017

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #18 of 18 Old 09-16-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Craigslist.

Costco occasionally has very nice power reclining leather chairs than have gone on sale for as low as $350 (I got three when they were $400), but they are seasonal.
Ditto. We were fortunate in Kansas City costco to get those chairs for $249 each. I know some members came down from Ia to pick up their chairs from the KC location

Costco - Pulaski Churchill Home Theatre Power Recliner, $499.99 -- good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page