Need help with exiting rope light installation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GRIMMACE

post #1 of 6 Old 09-08-2017, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Question Need help with exiting rope light installation

Hello everyone,

I have found myself using my rope lighting on more and more when watching TV with all other lights off. I like the ambient feeling.

Here's my original theater build I had posted as reference: VATerp's Modest Basement Dedicated Home Theater Setup

I essentially have two ceiling trays separated by a metal beam through the room. Each tray has a rope light into the side wall wired to a single pole switch. When the light was installed however, there was no channeling or corner lights used so there is bad diffusion on almost all corners of the rope light. Any suggestions on what to do AFTER the fact for nice straight lines? There may be some slack to get channels in but I would rather not cut into the light and re-wire if not needed.

Any other thoughts to do a retrofit now? I'd like to strip it all out and put in an LED light but since it is wired into a wall switch I would need a professional to handle that and may be more of a hack job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0658.JPG (40.4 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-09-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by VATerp View Post
Hello everyone,

I have found myself using my rope lighting on more and more when watching TV with all other lights off. I like the ambient feeling.

Here's my original theater build I had posted as reference: VATerp's Modest Basement Dedicated Home Theater Setup

I essentially have two ceiling trays separated by a metal beam through the room. Each tray has a rope light into the side wall wired to a single pole switch. When the light was installed however, there was no channeling or corner lights used so there is bad diffusion on almost all corners of the rope light. Any suggestions on what to do AFTER the fact for nice straight lines? There may be some slack to get channels in but I would rather not cut into the light and re-wire if not needed.

Any other thoughts to do a retrofit now? I'd like to strip it all out and put in an LED light but since it is wired into a wall switch I would need a professional to handle that and may be more of a hack job.
Another layering of molding on the ceiling will do the trick. I had the same issue and it worked perfectly. Even gave the feel of the ceiling floating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3283.JPG (332.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3284.JPG (372.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3285.JPG (313.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3286.JPG (334.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3287.JPG (344.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3288.JPG (350.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3289.JPG (354.9 KB, 19 views)
post #3 of 6 Old 09-17-2017, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Interesting. Is that really the best way though? So if my existing trim is white I'd have to install some black painted trim?

post #4 of 6 Old 09-18-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMMACE View Post
Another layering of molding on the ceiling will do the trick. I had the same issue and it worked perfectly. Even gave the feel of the ceiling floating.
I really like what you did. May I ask a couple of questions?

What is the color of the trim next to the wall?

The ceiling appears black...is the space between the two sets of trim painted black too or white between the two pieces?

My reason for asking is the light between the trim pieces seems (as expected) appropriately bright. I worry about adding LED lighting etc due to the fact my ceiling is black and walls are gray...the light might look too muted to have a proper impact.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-18-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VATerp View Post
Interesting. Is that really the best way though? So if my existing trim is white I'd have to install some black painted trim?
Well your ceiling there is black right? My trim is gray and the extra trim on ceiling is painted black and looks great. Matter of taste I guess but a simple and cost effective way to fix the problem.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-18-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I really like what you did. May I ask a couple of questions?

What is the color of the trim next to the wall?

The ceiling appears black...is the space between the two sets of trim painted black too or white between the two pieces?

My reason for asking is the light between the trim pieces seems (as expected) appropriately bright. I worry about adding LED lighting etc due to the fact my ceiling is black and walls are gray...the light might look too muted to have a proper impact.
Thanks. The color of the trim next to the wall is the same color as the wall. Gray. The ceiling is black and the space between the moldings is black as well. I did a rope light in there not the led strip that has adhesive on the back.
rboster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page