Insignia Kegerator? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-24-2017, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Insignia Kegerator?

I?m considering adding a kegerator to my home theater/bar project: prices range ALL over the place. I wasn?t sure if anybody had any experience on the Best But Insignia model?

I know it likely doesn?t have the greatest taps and what-not: but for the occasional use kegerator is it any good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2017, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had one that ran for over a decade including the hard use of my college years. It worked quite well but I had to buy a valve that allowed me to keep a measure of how much gas I had so I wouldn't run out unexpectedly. It was far more expensive to operate than the $400 price tag it had at the time, between the electricity and the gas it always cost more than just buying beer a six pack. Not to mention when you're entertaining! Usually some friends will bring over their own beer to drink or if they grab one out of your fridge there's may be some social norm or universal understanding where people say "I'll get you back" well throw that right out the window with a kegerator. It's impossible to police, no one is reaching into a fridge to take a commoditized item they understand the value of, in there eyes it's just beer appearing magically like free water from a tap. It's a slippery slope too, you start buying tap handles and accessories. It's one of those things like owning a boat, I was happiest the day I got it and the day I got rid of it.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-03-2017, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawkaholic View Post
I had one that ran for over a decade including the hard use of my college years. It worked quite well but I had to buy a valve that allowed me to keep a measure of how much gas I had so I wouldn't run out unexpectedly. It was far more expensive to operate than the $400 price tag it had at the time, between the electricity and the gas it always cost more than just buying beer a six pack. Not to mention when you're entertaining! Usually some friends will bring over their own beer to drink or if they grab one out of your fridge there's may be some social norm or universal understanding where people say "I'll get you back" well throw that right out the window with a kegerator. It's impossible to police, no one is reaching into a fridge to take a commoditized item they understand the value of, in there eyes it's just beer appearing magically like free water from a tap. It's a slippery slope too, you start buying tap handles and accessories. It's one of those things like owning a boat, I was happiest the day I got it and the day I got rid of it.
Interesting Points! I didn?t even think of the people not bringing beer to share! I guess I?ll have to only keep it stocked occasionally (so people don?t get in the habit of not bringing things)

The cost of the beer is certainly a concern of mine: from the local liquor store it?s certainly much cheaper to go with 4 or 6 packs vs a Keg. But: I?m finding some of the local breweries offer significant savings if you buy kegs direct from them (granted you need to return the keg for a deposit so you need to factor in gas).

I ended up buying one anyways. Should be here this week. I guess if worse comes to worse, I can sell it, but the deal was hard to pass up.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-10-2017, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 154
My first step in to this arena was a mini fridge converted to fit 1/4 barrel kegs and the only beer we could get easily was bud light. I'm a bit of a craft beer snob, so it was only used during big parties and folks did help themselves.

With my latest setup, I went the complete opposite end of the spectrum with a built in kegerator that can hold 3 1/6 barrel kegs. I have individual CO2 regulators for each beer. A drip tray with glass rinser. Custom tap handles. I enjoy brewing my own beer and I am too lazy to bottle it. Kegging is far easier. For me it makes sense and I don't really mind people drinking it because that means I brewed a good beer (or have really cheap friends). When its gone, I get to brew again!

Everything said in the previous post is true. It really has to be something useful to you or something you don't mind being an expense for it to be worth the time and effort. I'd add too, that you have to clean your lines, so that is some extra equipment and time.

That is cool about your local breweries, we don't have that good fortune in GA that I'm aware of.

https://www.kegerator.com/edgestar-b.../BR7001OD.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page