Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2004, 09:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
J.L.,

Wow thanks for the analysis! Who knows, maybe Durabrand is using that 'new' math, lol! This is what I love about home theater in general - no two people have the same setup and everyone is so helpful in checking specs out and offering advice. There amount of information I have gotten just from these AVS forums is truly amazing. You know I doubt this little Durabrand bargain amp will last long but until it dies I am going to enjoy it. Time to put Jurassic Park in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2004, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Oconus,

About 10 years ago I set up my first Dolby Prologic surround sound processor and used a set of 5 surplus amplifier circuit boards I found at a flea-market to feed a very mismatched set of inexpensive speakers. I powered the amplifier boards with a 15 volt, 1 amp power, current limited, bench supply. That dictated the maximum possible power output from the 5 channels to 15 watts assuming 100% efficiency (and you know they could not be. )

My actual power output for all five channels was probably about 10 watts.

Now, that may not sound like much, but it was loud, in fact, often too loud for my wife. If you use efficient speakers, it does not take much power to drive them.

Don't be surprised if your Durabrand amplifier outlives much of your other equipment. Apparently, the shakers are pretty efficient.

Bring on the T-Rex...

Joe L.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:08 PM

Well, I finally got my Aura's set up after lurking in this thread for months. I have 3 shakers wired in series into one channel and 3 in series in the other channel. I have a Teac receiver from parts express powering them, which receives a cable that was split from the subwoofer. I turned the bass all the way up and the treble all the way down.

I mounted them to the frame of a sectional sofa (one shaker per seat). I'm still tweaking the volume on the Teac receiver. Depending on the movie, you can either get shaken out of your seat or feel nothing at all. The scene at the beginning of Star Wars Ep II when the ship explodes makes you feel like you are in the explosion.

I don't think I need the F Mods yet, but we'll see after I finish the tweaking. I didn't notice any shaking during dialog. I also noticed that the shaking is a lot less noticeable during music playback than during movies.

Thanks to everyone here for their great help in wiring , etc.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, thanks to this thread I got my bass shakers up and running. I had my brother in law watch part of a movie yesterday. He cracked up laughing and thought it was great.

I would like to experiment with either a 50 or 70 FMOD, but don't need 2 of them. Did anyone order a pair and want to get rid of one of the extra ones? pm me if so. (Am I allowed to ask this on the forum? If not delete me.)
Old 07-28-2004, 05:23 PM

Bah.. I've read through this and the "other" thread...

How do I go about wiring 3 shakers over two channels?

Basically wire the left and right up like a regular speaker, but then take the Positive of the L channel shaker and connect it to the positive of the 3rd shaker and then the negative of the R channel shaker to the - of the 3rd?

My receiver does 120W RMS @ 6ohms per channel. I think I can 2 just fine off one channel since I bet that would work out to about 100W RMS @ 8ohms and they're 50W RMS Shakers...

But then I don't get to mount the 3rd... (going on a couch.. reclining couch at that)
Old 07-28-2004, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That reall yis an odd number to get to work..Why not get 1 more for the couch for a total of 2.It would really make life easier for you.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
Old 07-28-2004, 07:55 PM

Yeah I bought 4... decided to mount only 2 when I saw there were so few places I could mount them (remember, it's got two recliners in it so there's almost no where I can mount them other than the bottom but if I do that I have to add some padding to the feet or else the shakers will touch the floor, I expect it would make a pretty bad rattingling noise (hardwood). So I mounted them to the rear of the couch... it's a little padded there, but they're mounted down very tight.

Ran through the Matrix Reloaded Highway scene, pretty neat. It's subtle until you mute it then you're amazed at the difference. Which is good, you're supposed to add to the experience, not create a whole new one.

I suppose I could add the other two or raise the feet... think I'll run it like this for a bit.. the centre seat is a little weaker but during the big booms you can still feel it.

Anyhow I guess going with a 4ohm 50W resistor is the only other way to do 3 "easily" with the most power.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:36 AM

Taylor,

Try bridging the Left and Right speaker outputs of your receiver. Have the Left positive wired to your 3 shakers in series, then going to the Right negative output. The amp should then do about 200W RMS into 8 ohms. So probably 150W into 12 ohms I'm guessing. Also, the more resistance the amp powers, the cleaner it'll sound.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

itdbclos,

Unless the receiver was designed to be bridged, I think that there are some odds that could be a costly experiment.

On the other hand, since on many receivers the negative binding posts are ALL connected to a common point, your suggestion will probably result in one channel driving the shakers, not two as you might think.

To "bridge" an amplifier it must be stable into 1/2 of the resistance of the load. Since he is looking to use three shakers, if all are in series it would be a 12 ohm load. He stated his rx could output 120 watts into 6 ohms so you are probably ok there IF he wires all three of the shakers in series.

To "bridge" an amplifier, the two output channels must be driven "out-of-phase" with each other and you would connect the speaker/shaker the two "positive" binding posts. In other words, as one channel is at its peak positive output, the other must be at its peak negative output. There is no provision in any receiver I've ever seen to invert the phase of one channel, unless it was specifically designed to be bridged. You can purchase an external audio phase inverter, but it is not something you will find in Radio Shack or Circuit City. You definitely cannot use a "Y" adapter to feed the stereo inputs from the LFE out of the main receiver.

Rather than bridging his amplifier, the simplest solution is to wire all three shakers in series and put them on one channel of the Teac receiver. Odds are very high that there will be plenty of power to shake the change loose from your pockets.

Joe L.
U571 Anyone???

Opening scene in the "Italian Job" scared the sh.t out of both my wife and myself when the first explosion occurred. The shakers make a HUGE difference.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I decided just to go with 2 as indicated and now that they've been worked in a bit (i.e. either electronically or by pounding down the padding between the mounting point and the frame) they seem to be performing better than the other day.

Watched Master & Commander last night, and then Jurassic Park... 2 Pros are more than enough.

Now I just have spares for future seating. Neat upgrade, worth the cash.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:10 PM

So I've got 2 shakers installed in my couch, and it works GREAT. The only thing is, my main receiver is a Yamaha, and my shaker receiver is a Yamaha.

The main receiver sits on the top shelf of the AV cabinet, and the shaker receiver is on the bottom shelf. I've programmed both into my trusty MX-700 remote control.

Now I can turn the shaker receiver on/off without affecting the main receiver. But when I control the volume of the main receiver, the volume on the shaker receiver goes up/down as well. So the volume control obviously uses the same frequency :S

Obviously this is really annoying when I just want to control the volume on one or the other (i.e. adjusting the shaker level, but not wanting to turn down the main home theater volume).

Any ideas how I can control the volumes independently?? TIA.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

You could open one and move the IR sensor to a different position in the room, to make direct line shooting a necessity.

brickie

Old 10-20-2004, 02:49 PM

Liked: 12
I will just add my experience with the Aura Shakers.

This thread convinced me to pick them up and give them a try. To say the least, I am VERY happy with the results. My wife said it best:

"It's like the theater is louder without it being louder."

I hooked up 4 of these shakers (2 in a series per channel) and hooked it up to my old Pioneer VSX-604S Pro Logic Amp. I split it off of my LFE signal into another Y into my receiver. I input the source into my Laser Disc in, set it to plain stereo and that was it! I was just glad that I was able to find a place on my recliners to hook them up. Not only that, I was just *barely* able to get a drill in there to predrill holes. Trust me, I could NOT have gotten these things hooked up without pre-drilling. Once they were hooked up, you'd swear there was sound coming from the seats, but put your ear to it and nothing.

I took Brickie's advice and used the menu selection screen of Godzilla and that worked perfectly. Nice and short with a gradual increase of LFE. It allowed me to set the levels just perfectly. My wife and I can't wait until we get some friends over to not tell them about it and see their reaction.

So I will just re-iterate what has been said countless times here already. If you have a spare amp or can afford a cheap PE one, get these. It doesn't matter if you have a couch, papasan, or recliners. It will enhance your movie watching experience for a minimal expense.

So with that, go and order yourself some shakers!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Well said!

brickie

Old 10-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Was that the mattew brodrick (SPelling) Godzilla with all the baby zillas?

My (WIP) DVD Collection ; Gallery; Lobby Logos ; Easy Shaker Setup ; My site - WIP
If you PERSONALLY enjoy YOUR setup, then enjoy it and don't worry about the other person or the experts!!
Suggestions: Try your walls first and setup projector BEFORE making/buying screen. Measure twice, Cut once!!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by bob_vdi
Was that the mattew brodrick (SPelling) Godzilla with all the baby zillas?

That's the one. And I only own that movie by accident. I found it in my firends DVD drive when I took it in for service at CompUSA. Otherwise, I don' think I would own that film
Old 10-21-2004, 11:58 AM

Would an amp without volume control work for the shakers? I've got one lying around and would use it for power. My 090's should be arriving in about a month. Can't wait to get them shaking.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

jatleson,

volume control to me is a must (read the thread).

I had a really had time finding a place to mount my shakers on my new 090's... ended up using the zip-tie method - seems to be ok so far, but you might want to check into other threads that discuss this as well.

Good Luck.

Regards,
David

My Home Theater
Old 10-21-2004, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

David, I've just ordered four Aura Pros for my four 090s (a couple years old, so perhaps different in construction). From what I've seen in other posts, mounting to the 090 frame involved crafting plywood inserts, mounting the shaker to the plywood, and the plywood to a couple of points on the frame. I've seen reference to mounting two shakers, too, one in the way described, and one to the back of the seat, shoved underneath the material covering it (leaving a hump, I imagine).

I'm anticipating a plywood install, myself. I'll report back in a week or two with how that goes.

--Mike
Old 10-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

where did you find the Aura Pros?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the vibration of the bass shaker accomplished by sound waves or does the bass shaker have some kind of mechanical vibrator in it, that is triggered to turn on by the sound frequency hitting a certian level? Second question. Does the bass shaker emit any sound at all?

We live in a condo and don't want to annoy our downstairs neighbors. We plan to mount the bass shakers in Berkline 090 theater seats, it will not be mounted to the floor.

Please help.

Kind regards
Johan
Old 10-21-2004, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

On verge - of buying Berkline 088's - Please let me know someone if this will be a major hassle to mount the shakers in (standards not pros) Can it be done?? I thought there was a thread or post about the 088's but now I am at a loss to find it.....

jc111 - the shakers do not make any noise - just vibration. However the vibration they make could cause other things to make noise I suppose - our picture frams on the sofa table behind rattle around sometimes....and this is through the floor as the table is a good 1-2" away from the sofa.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

A Bass Shaker is basically a loudspeaker with a weight mounted on the voice coil instead of a cone.

See this link for how to build a DIY shaker out of an old loudspeaker

Inside of the Aura shaker looks like this:

As you can see, the weight is in the center with a spiral metal spring supporting it.

Now, if you bolt the frame of the shaker to the seat, it will move the mass of the seat in opposition of the mass mounted on its voice coil.

Now, they do not make much audible sound, but since they are shaking the furniture, they will probably be audible downstairs. I would put a block of rubber under each leg to allow the chair to shake and isolate it from the floor. That should help the chair to shake AND lessen the vibration transmitted to the floor. Perhaps pieces cut from a rubber floor mat (one of those designed to lessen fatigue when standing on a hard floor) would be squishy enough to absorb most of the motion and allow the chair to shake without transmitting too much energy to the floor.

Joe L.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

pcrx,

I think if you look back in this thread, there is stuff about 088s. I've got them mounted in mine. Just cut some plywood piece to mount them too. it was very easy.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Here are auctions for a pair of the Aura Bass Pro's and a sub amp on ebay.

item#5727151248
item #5727160263

Here is an auction for the bass shakers (non-pro) and sub amp:

item# 5726762626

Enjoy!

Dennis
Old 10-22-2004, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

eBay, just like my Crown amps (Damn you, Brickie!).
Old 10-22-2004, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll take that as you're happy. You're so very welcome..LOL

brickie

Old 10-23-2004, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Everyone -

I currently have two shakers running in series on one speaker channe. Is it OK to add a third to that same line to have three running in series?

I am using this receiver to run the shakers:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-515
Old 10-23-2004, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Will the load be the same on both channels? If not I don't think I would do it, unless you're making it easier for the amp in terms of ohms, and not more diffulcult.

brickie

Old 10-23-2004, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Brickie -

Right now I am only using one channel - with two shakers in series... I wanted to keep that setup ( only running one speaker wire) to my seating. I just wanted to add another shaker to the series to make it a total of three. (Would that be 12 ohms then?)

The receiver should do OK with that (?) The specs have it rated at 8 ohms....