Bass Shakers - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1156 Old 11-24-2004, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love this forum. Picked up 3 90's for $699 at the Berkline factory sale yesterday and ordered 2 pairs of the 25W Aura Bass Shakers from Parts Express this morning. I'm at most 40 miles from Partsexpress so I should receive the shakers on Friday. If I wire three in series, is there a way to turn one shaker off if someone doesn't like the vibration? In the meantime I'm off to read the other big thread to see if I can find an answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1156 Old 11-24-2004, 09:26 AM

APorter, I did wire one up to be shut off....I put a little toggle switch in series with the last shaker where my wife usually sits. If she wants it off, she can lean down and flip the switch

The Crane.....ROFLMAO... Don't feel bad, I have one too
post #453 of 1156 Old 11-24-2004, 01:55 PM

would this be sufficient for 2 25W shakers
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-782

It's only 25W, but people are reporting that they barly turn up thier shakers.
post #454 of 1156 Old 11-24-2004, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
You would be fine considering the regular Auras are rated at only 25 watts.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #455 of 1156 Old 11-25-2004, 02:47 PM

Quote:

If I wire three in series, is there a way to turn one shaker off if someone doesn't like the vibration?

not if they're in series.
post #456 of 1156 Old 11-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You could use a SPDT switch to select the resistor or the shaker.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=060-088
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...er=004-4&DID=7

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #457 of 1156 Old 11-25-2004, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

mntmst,

Your idea would work perfectly. The only caution might be to mount the resistor where it is away from flammable objects since it will get pretty hot. (it has to dissipate the same amount of energy as the shaker, but as heat. Those heat-sink fins on the pro-shakers are there to cool it.

Think about how little surface area the resistor has compared to the shaker and you will understand.) If you think your wife is unhappy with the shaking, then imagine how unhappy she might be if you gave her a hot-seat in its place.

If you want to try something even a bit simpler, then you do not need to use the resistor in place of the switched-off shaker if it is in series with other shakers.

The following drawing shows how you could connect a switch across a single shaker in a series string to bypass it (and stop it from shaking)

It has the disadvantage in that you will probably need to readjust the amplifier to reduce the shaking in the remaining un-bypassed shakers.

It also has the disadvantage in that you cannot bypass all three shakers. (doing so would present a short-circuit to the amplifier resulting in its shutdown, overheating, or thermal self destruction)

The advantage is simplicity. If you only want to switch one shaker, then all you need is a single switch connected across it. Also, no power is wasted heating a resistor. You can turn the amplifier down, not drive it as hard, and still have two seats shaking.

Joe L.
post #458 of 1156 Old 11-26-2004, 06:11 AM

J.L

You hit it right on the head. Keep it simple. Just throw a toggle switch to the last speaker and let it fly.
post #459 of 1156 Old 11-26-2004, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

J.L. is the man!! Showed me correct way to wire my shakers up, for equal shaking effect to all of em.

brickie

post #460 of 1156 Old 11-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Great ideas. but I would not use a circuit that would show a 4 ohm load to most of the low cost amps that people use for shakers. Most if the energy is low frequency and would really stress the power-supply and output stage on most low cost amps. Plate amps designed for 4 ohm sub-woofers would be fine.

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #461 of 1156 Old 11-26-2004, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

mntmst,

You are correct in that many inexpensive amplifiers cannot handle a 4 ohm load. If the one driving your shakers cannot handle 4 ohm loads, then do not bypass two out of three series shakers with simple switches as I suggested as a simpler alternative. (that results in a single four ohm shaker connected to your amp)

Instead, use either an amplifier that can handle the load, or the wiring as suggested by mntmst. His is a better solution in that the amplifier level does not need to be readjusted when throwing the switch, just bit more complicated.

Joe L.
post #462 of 1156 Old 11-26-2004, 01:54 PM

I finally ordered 4 pairs of Aura bass shakers last Wednesday -- they should be here on Monday! I thought I wanted the Bass Shaker Pros, but they are no longer being sold at Parts Express. But I read earlier in this thread that the Pro and regular have the same output and the only difference is the cooling fins, so I'm very happy with the purchase. I plan on using an old 4-channel Kenwood amp to drive 4 pairs, with each pair in series. I'm going to mount 4 below my rear platform and 1 to each of the front 4 seats.

I just realized, after reading the past few posts, that I forgot to order a 50 Hz low-pass FMOD! I was also disappointed to see that they only come in pairs. Does anyone have an extra they'ed be willing to part with for $?
post #463 of 1156 Old 11-26-2004, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Carlton, try it at first without it and see what you think..For about the pst week iv'e been running without mine...I must say the effect is awesome still,even a little more lively which I like! Not sure if i'll leave them like this, but for now i'd say try them without it at first.

brickie

post #464 of 1156 Old 11-27-2004, 07:44 AM

brickie,

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the chairs I've sat in before, I'm guessing I'll want less effect as opposed to more. I found them a little too buzzy and was glad the chair had a knob so that I could turn down the effect. I want it to feel like the sub is causing shaking, so I think hitting only the low frequencies, as well as careful calibration of the volume knob, will accomplish that the best. Does this sound reasonable?
post #465 of 1156 Old 11-27-2004, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Not unreasonable at all..Iv'e always said this is really a preference thing as too the amount of shake a person may want..

brickie

post #466 of 1156 Old 11-30-2004, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

OK everyone - my Berkline 088's arrive tomorrow, and I want to install my shakers in them. I tried to comb the thread for the 088 installation pics but cannot seem to find them. I did find the pic of the shaker installed to the back of the 090.

Question - has anyone done a back install and then a bottom install to see the difference in feel? It seems like a mount to the bottom would be the best way to go but then again they were in the bottom of my sofa before so thats the only way I have experienced them.

For those who have installed them in some Berkline 088's could you post the length of the board you had to cut? I have some spare dense particle board (old shelves) and wonder if that would be better to use than plain plywood for transferring the vibrations - what do you all think?
post #467 of 1156 Old 11-30-2004, 09:21 AM
PAW
AVS Special Member

Getting screws to hold in particle board can be a problem. There are special screws the furniture manufacturers use. With the action of the shakers, that could be a problem.

Some people confuse particle board (which you can see actual tiny pieces of wood in) with MDF (medium density fiberboard). MDF is a smooth textured material with no visible particles. I think MDF holds screws well.

Aubrey
post #468 of 1156 Old 11-30-2004, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by PAW
Getting screws to hold in particle board can be a problem. There are special screws the furniture manufacturers use. With the action of the shakers, that could be a problem.

Some people confuse particle board (which you can see actual tiny pieces of wood in) with MDF (medium density fiberboard). MDF is a smooth textured material with no visible particles. I think MDF holds screws well.

Good info. I will scrap the particle board idea for sure.

Guess I will simply wait to assess the situation once the chairs are actually here. I did see the pics earlier in the thread of the back mount. I may look into that (the pics were of a 090)
post #469 of 1156 Old 11-30-2004, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by pcrx
OK everyone - my Berkline 088's arrive tomorrow, and I want to install my shakers in them. I tried to comb the thread for the 088 installation pics but cannot seem to find them. I did find the pic of the shaker installed to the back of the 090.

I have 088s on order. I already have the bass shakers. Please let me know how you install them. I think the 088s have very tight space, so I'm interested in the best way to install. My 088s are equiped with power recline, so the mounting holes on the bottom on unavailable for me. Someone else mentioned mounting them in the arm spaces.

Let me know what you find out. Thanks.
post #470 of 1156 Old 11-30-2004, 07:59 PM

Here is a mounting pic, this configuration seems to provide a nice even shake that is difficult to determine where it is.

The arm opening does not have very much wood to attach the shaker too, but I believe it can be "snug" fit into it. I had one mounted in there and almost could not get it back out, so I would remove the cork bottom on the shaker before trying this as a solution.

You could probably do the same install as attached if you remove the arms and drill a few additional new holes in the metal frame closer to the front and mount the wood toward the front of the chair to avoid the electric recline mechanism.

Wish everyone luck, they are fun.
LL

Rent this space ! cheap
post #471 of 1156 Old 12-01-2004, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Just moved my chairs (088's) into the room - will be installing the shakers tonight. Looks to be a very easy install - Pleanty of space for sure (manual recline - not sure of the others)

I would not worry about getting them in for those wondering how difficult it will be.....
post #472 of 1156 Old 12-01-2004, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

OK - sorry for the multiple posts - but I just wanted to share a few things -

First - thanks to everyone here for helping with everything.
Second - installing the shakers was a breeze - easier than installing them in my sofa for sure IMO

I was able at lunch to:

1. Cut 3 boards approx 15 3/8 inches long (used 1x6)
2. Test fit boards (tight fit but not "forced" tight)
3. Screw shakers to boards
4. Install boards in Berklines
5. Do a quickie hook up and TEST!

One side of each chair was a simple breeze for me on the boards, as I only have arms on one side of each chair. I used a stubby screwdriver to do the other sides as posted before - I just drilled some pilot holes first to make it easier.

Very very nice. I am sure the shaking will be more solid now since I have 1 per seat (versuis just 2 in my 8' sofa before) Just the test (with seats laying on their sides) seems to have a more solid shaking feel when I put my hand on the seat.

One note: It was WAY easier to do this with the backs off. I guess thats obvious but I almost put the backs in my rush to see what they looked like in the room.

All this took me about 25 minutes.

I will post pics also tomorrow.
post #473 of 1156 Old 12-01-2004, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, why wait, eh?

Pics. I took this one to show the amount of clearance there is between the shaker and the recline mechanism. I took this pic into the rear - beyond my hand is the back of the footrest.
LL
post #474 of 1156 Old 12-01-2004, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Another from a distance to get general idea of install. I used zip ties to secure the wire to the back bar, and then used a wire loom to neaten it up at the far end where the wires are exposed from under the chairs to the wall.
LL
post #475 of 1156 Old 12-01-2004, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by pcrx
OK, why wait, eh?

Pics. I took this one to show the amount of clearance there is between the shaker and the recline mechanism. I took this pic into the rear - beyond my hand is the back of the footrest.

pcrx,

Thanks for the information and pictures. I'll have to see what the power recline motor does to the space underneath of my 088s when I get them in a month. Your 088s look good. I see from a photo that you injured your finger. Hopefully the install was not too dangerous.
post #476 of 1156 Old 12-01-2004, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually the injury was a nasty papercut from work!!! LOL
post #477 of 1156 Old 12-02-2004, 09:18 AM
PAW
AVS Special Member

Hopefully you got the rest of the day off after since a nasty injury. A little R&R in the HT will make it all better.

Aubrey
post #478 of 1156 Old 12-03-2004, 03:24 PM

you guys are bad. I am in the stage of finishing my basement but I can't believe I ordered 2 pairs of bass shakers yesterday because of this thread. O well, I was going to get them sooner or later so mind as well buy them when it's on sale, sighhhhhh.
Be honest though, it feels so good that buying stuff on sale price. A little while back I pick up 4 sconces for $25 each and the regular price was $99.99.

Thanks
Ken

Sea Breeze Theater is now under construction.
post #479 of 1156 Old 12-03-2004, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing better than a sale or a bargain..LOL

brickie

post #480 of 1156 Old 12-04-2004, 10:11 AM

Hello,

I'm thinking about ordering the bass shakers. I have 2 plain old recliners and a couch. Do you guys think 1 bass shaker per chair and 2 for the couch will be enough or should I use more.

Thanks for the help.

Craig
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page