Bass Shakers - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 1156 Old 02-01-2005, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right, what he said. given that info. The max is still the max. so if sherwood didn't give false info which is very possible since they use 6 ohms instead of 8 for their power readings. Anyway, max would be 78. at max it would be 39 watts each shaker. Linear or not, max is not a good idea. but like Joe said, lower end because of loads and such, it might be different between different units. But, should be closer to linear from max down then from down going up. So, with that max would be at 63 and maybe close to linear going down. with that. In the 40's would be about right for staying around 50 watts total. Lower doesn't matter but in the 50's would most likely be pushing over the 25 watts per shaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1156 Old 02-01-2005, 03:23 PM

Quote:

If you can turn the knob up and the shaking gets too much, then it really does not matter what the knob is set to when the shaking is set to a comfortable level (within reasonable power limits... of course)

I agree whole-heartedly. The number doesn't bother me. I just set it wherever I feel is right.
post #543 of 1156 Old 02-04-2005, 05:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Did Aura go out of business or create a new model after the pro or something? I see comments like this on parts express and wonder what's going on...

"Through a special buyout deal we were able to purchase a large quantity of the last remaining inventory of the world famous Aura Pro Bass Shakers!"

Is this just a sales tactic to try to get me to buy them?

reaper
post #544 of 1156 Old 02-04-2005, 11:16 AM
PAW
AVS Special Member

Aura no longer makes the regular shaker. They still make the pro version. I emailed Aura a few months ago. PE brough a bunch of both the regular and pro version. They've sold out the pros but still have the regulars.

Aubrey
post #545 of 1156 Old 02-04-2005, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
This seems to indicate that they have stock on the pros still

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=299-028
post #546 of 1156 Old 02-04-2005, 12:33 PM

It looks like PE got some more Pros. They had been out for several weeks when I was looking to get mine.
post #547 of 1156 Old 02-04-2005, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Man,I should go ahead and order the last batch of them I need..

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #548 of 1156 Old 02-04-2005, 03:59 PM

I called Parts Express and they have a bunch- wouldn't give exact numbers but alot. John said that they very well could go in a hurry though. I just bought 8 of the standards and don't know if a couple of these would really do me any good or not.

Leon
post #549 of 1156 Old 02-07-2005, 07:23 AM

I just went ahead and ordered six of the pros from Parts express ( thanks for the tip!).
Would it be overkill to use two of the pros per Coaster chair?
What would be the best way to hook these up - to a spare receiver at 100 watts a channel or two separate amplifiers?
Are the pros twice as powerful as the regular shakers?
post #550 of 1156 Old 02-07-2005, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lammarwell

Would it be overkill to use two of the pros per Coaster chair?
What would be the best way to hook these up - to a spare receiver at 100 watts a channel or two separate amplifiers?
Are the pros twice as powerful as the regular shakers?

If you did 1 per chair and powered them with the spare receiver (allowing you to adjust the "volume" when you want) you will be very happy.

More than that is complete overkill IMHO.
post #551 of 1156 Old 02-13-2005, 07:49 AM

I just bought a Clark Tactile Transducer for my rear riser and I now have 6 of the Aura 25W shakers that I can use for my 3 Coaster style seats in the front row. I was planning on running the Clark off one channel and the shakers off the other. Here are the specs of the 2 channel amp. There are separate volume controls for each channel. Could one of the thread experts please tell me how to get the best results.

Specs:* Power output: 175 watts RMS x 2 (8 ohm load), 250 watts RMS/500 watts peak x 2 (4 ohm load) * Bridgeable to 1000 watts peak x 1 (8 ohm load)

Thank you very much
Steve
seatlsteve@aol.com
post #552 of 1156 Old 02-13-2005, 05:57 PM

steve,

if you are going to run 6 shakers, you are going to end up using a 6 ohm load. The easiest way to do this is to run each pair in parallel. and then connect each pair in series. A pair in parallel will result in 2 ohms, then when you connect each in series, you end up with 6 ohms. That should take care of your base shakers and your one channel.

How many transducers do you have and what Ohm are they?
post #553 of 1156 Old 02-14-2005, 09:38 PM

One transducer. I believe it is 4 Ohm I am in Vegas right now and will be back home Thurs. The transducer and amp should be there Fri.
Thanks,
Steve
seatlsteve@aol.com
post #554 of 1156 Old 02-24-2005, 02:58 PM

I recently purchased 6 shaker pros ( 50W version) and would like to hook all of them up to a spare 250watt subwoofer plate amplifier i have on hand. It is a single channel amplifier.
If i hooked them up as you suggested with a 6 ohm load in the end how much power would each bass shaker receive?
Is this amplifier big enough to power 6 bass shaker pros?
post #555 of 1156 Old 02-24-2005, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

lammarwell,

The subwoofer amplifier is probably rated for 250 watts into a 4 ohm load.

Since you will be using a 6 ohm load, you will not be able to get 250 watts, instead, you will have somewhere near 166 watts available.
(4/6ths of 250 watts)

If you split that evenly between your 6 shakers, each will get a tad over 27 watts.

Edit: I checked partespress.com and saw that a 250 watt ssubwoofer amplifier was measured at 180 watts into 8 ohms. That might inidicate you could get as much as 200 watts or so into 6 ohms. In that case, you might get 33 watts delivered to each of your 6 shakers.

Joe L.
post #556 of 1156 Old 02-24-2005, 04:36 PM

Is 27 watts enough power to drive a Bass shaker Pro? Did i ever mention how much i love this site!!
post #557 of 1156 Old 02-24-2005, 04:48 PM

Is there anyway of wiring 6 to obtain a 4 ohm load?
post #558 of 1156 Old 02-24-2005, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

It has been reported in one of the bass-shaker threads (based on correspondence with Aura corp.) that internally the Aura PRO shaker is identical to the Non-pro model. The difference is in the heat-sink-fins that exist on the PRO model case. It can handle more power (50 watts) because it can safely dissipate more heat.

It will shake more violently at the higher power levels the non-pro can handle simply because it is being fed more power. For power levels under the 25 watts the non-pros can handle, the amount of shaking will be pretty much the same, PRO or Non-PRO.

Since many of us are using the non-pro model at less than their 25 watt rating and shaking so much that we need to turn our amps down, I would guess that the 27 to 33 watts we are figuring you will have available from your "250 watt sub amplifier" would be just fine.

Give it a try. You will probably have plenty of power. remember, like sound, it takes about four times the power to double the amount of shaking.

Joe L.
post #559 of 1156 Old 02-24-2005, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Joes' absolutely right..You'll get more shaking than you can handle!

brickie

post #560 of 1156 Old 02-24-2005, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lammarwell
Is there anyway of wiring 6 to obtain a 4 ohm load?

Nope. Sorry. Can't cheat Ohm's law. Best you could do is parallel three sets of two in series. Each set of two in series would be 8 ohms, three paralleled sets of two would result in a load of 2.66 ohms. (A bit low for most subwoofer amplifiers, but who knows, yours might be able to handle a 2.66 ohm load)

Best case, it works with a 2.66 ohm load and now you have to turn the volume way down because the amplifier is producing over 300 watts. Worst case, the amplifier overheats and shuts down, or shuts-down from what it thinks is a short, or self-destructs if it has no overload or overheat protection.

Joe L.
post #561 of 1156 Old 02-24-2005, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to try it out and see how they work!
post #562 of 1156 Old 02-28-2005, 08:11 AM

Okay, I just got two of the Pro model as a birthday gift from my daughter and her boyfriend and have another on order. The idea is to connect two to the couch in the living room and one to the loveseat. I'm trying to restrain myself since it's a LR HT setup!

So my question is how do I wire this up? I'm hoping to keep it very simple, seems the easiest would be to split the signal to my subwoofer (SVS 20-39 PCi) and run the other feed to a plate amp powering the Bass Shakers. My question is how do I wire this properly? I was looking at the 120 Watt plate amp at PE to drive things.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #563 of 1156 Old 02-28-2005, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Probably the best way would be to wire all 3 in series for a nice 12 ohm load.As for the splitting the signal that sounds fine...Then just run 1 to SVS other to plate amp.Should be fairly simple.

brickie

post #564 of 1156 Old 02-28-2005, 12:25 PM

Liked: 13
This forum continues to cost me money!!

I just ordered a pair of the bass shaker pros for my Berkline 099's. I plan to power them with a spare Dynaco 75wpc amp from the subwoofer feed off of my receiver. The problem is the amp doesn't have any volume control (it is truly a block amplifier).

Anyone have any ideas on how to regulate the volume/power on these? I heard using an 'L pad' between the amp and the bass shakers isn't that good. What about something on the line input of the amp?

Thanks.

-Gary.
post #565 of 1156 Old 03-01-2005, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by brickie
Probably the best way would be to wire all 3 in series for a nice 12 ohm load.As for the splitting the signal that sounds fine...Then just run 1 to SVS other to plate amp.Should be fairly simple.

brickie

This is exactly how I wired my 3 shakers to my spare receiver. Works perfect.
post #566 of 1156 Old 03-01-2005, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by greighn
This forum continues to cost me money!!

I just ordered a pair of the bass shaker pros for my Berkline 099's. I plan to power them with a spare Dynaco 75wpc amp from the subwoofer feed off of my receiver. The problem is the amp doesn't have any volume control (it is truly a block amplifier).

Anyone have any ideas on how to regulate the volume/power on these? I heard using an 'L pad' between the amp and the bass shakers isn't that good. What about something on the line input of the amp?

Thanks.

-Gary.

You could use something like a Table Top Speaker Selector/Volume Control.
post #567 of 1156 Old 03-01-2005, 01:55 PM

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. A year or so ago I installed my first transducers (Aura Pros) in my theater, and they're still a crowd-pleaser to this day. I have 4 of them -- 2 mounted to my 2 Berkline 088's in the front row, and 2 mounted to the frame of my futon on a riser in the 2nd row.

Recently I was bitten with the upgrade bug (again). We're all familiar with this feeling, so I don't need to explain it. So I bought 4 genuine movie-theater chairs to replace my Berk's in the front row. I also bought 2 Clark TST239-Silver transducers. My goal now is to find the best application of my transducers in all my theater seats.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the following:

(*) Aura Pros mounted to the lower-back of each movie-theater chair. These seats will be attached to some manner of platform -- probably a couple parallel pieces of 2x12 wood, sitting on a rug on the basement floor.

(*) The 2 Clark transducers mounted to a piece of plywood spanning the width of the futon, attached underneath, directly below the seating position.

My only concern with this setup is in trying to figure out how to attach the Auras to the theater chairs up front. I believe the backs of the chairs are a laminate material, and there might not be an easy way to attach the Auras securely to each chair. In that case, I might have to instead attach the Auras (or Clarks) to the platform which the seats are screwed into, and attempt to shake *the whole row* instead of the individual seats.

Any comments, suggestions, and/or pearls of wisdom for me to consider?
post #568 of 1156 Old 03-05-2005, 06:50 PM

Hey guys and hello again to J.L.

I built the audax speakers after reading J.L. project reports.

So now guys it time for some shaking.

I planto order 6 berkline seats soon.

What is the best/cheapest way to shake them.

I have an old pioneer pro logic reciever which I think is rated at 70watts per channel.

How many shakers and what kind, non-pro or pro?????

thanks
post #569 of 1156 Old 03-06-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by George I planto order 6 berkline seats soon.

What is the best/cheapest way to shake them.

I have an old pioneer pro logic reciever which I think is rated at 70watts per channel.

How many shakers and what kind, non-pro or pro?????

Are you limited to the 140 watts provided by your Pioneer? Or are you willing to get another amp to power any shakers you buy?

Here's my advice: buy 3 pairs of the "regular" Aura shakers. That'll run you less than $100. Put one in each chair, wire them for a 6 ohm load, and let the old Pioneer power them. If you aren't satisfied with that level of shaking, you can spend another $100 for another 6 Auras, and $100 or so for an amp (used, e-bay) that can power all 12. Then you'll have 2 per chair, which IMO is plenty of shaking, and you will have spent about $300. How's that sound?

Oh, and BTW, I've never used the regular Auras (just Aura Pros), but 2 Auras have more pop than 1 Aura Pro, and they cost half as much. Better bang-for-buck, plain and simple.
post #570 of 1156 Old 03-07-2005, 09:55 AM

margomaps

Good looking out.
Anyone else support margomaps suggestion??

What size used amp should I look for, or better yet Best buy has
a/v recievers cheap around $150 with DD and DTS.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page