Bass Shakers - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #721 of 1161 Old 07-12-2005, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought that same amp, but then I decided to send it back, because it was just much easier to use an old pro logic receiver, rather than that amp. And it just so happened that I did have an old PLI receiver laying around. Not that I remembered about it when I was purchasing the shakers, but after I got the amp I remembered. And even if you dont have one lying around, it would be cheaper to get a cheap receiver with remote on ebay than buying that amp with remote...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1161 Old 07-12-2005, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply Brickie! If I DID do 12 Shakers, would the 250X2 @ 8ohms be enough juice?

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #723 of 1161 Old 07-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Planning on getting the wife to give my 4 shakers and an amp for my birthday at the end of this month. Can you guys review my installation below and give any feedback you might have?

Removed some 200 or so staples to get the bottom fabric off my couch. Here is a pic, the red box is where I am thinking of putting a 66.5" x 8" x 0.75" board. The red circles are where the bass shakers would go, on top of the board, towards the seat cushions. There is enough room to clear the springs.

The back of the couch is at the bottom of the pic. I chose the location in red above because I can screw the board into the frame not only to the boards in the middle, but to the 2x4 at the back of the couch. I think this will provide shaking not only to the seat cushions, but to the seat back and entire frame as well.

In the picture, the springs are touching pretty much all the boards you can see. I hope the shaking is not too much because of this.

I've heard that shaking the arms and back may reduce the sensation that the floor/room is shaking. Do you think I should avoid shaking the seat back? What would you say is the best placement for this couch?

Do you think a 3/4" board is too thick or not thick enough? What type of board should I ask for?

I am doing a big chair in addition to the couch above. The big chair is the same design, except it doesn't have room to clear the springs. I have 3-1/8" from the spring to the floor. The shaker is 2-1/8". If I mount it on a 3/4" board, I'll have a 1/4" to spare between the top of the shaker and the spring. I'll have to build a sort of tray to mount the shaker in this way. Here is a drawing of the pieces I will need to do my install...

I can get a pic of the chair later tonight.

I want to be completely ready to do the install on my birthday. What sort of connectors will I need for the shakers? Can you give me the exact size?

Also, I am undecided on what receiver to drive the 4 Pro shakers. I've read this entire thread and I think this receiver that was mentioned might work best...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-515

I don't want to go with a plate amp as it has to go in the rack. I'd like to buy from PartsExpress since all the other parts are coming from there. Do you guys have any other recommendations?

Thanks!
post #724 of 1161 Old 07-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

I took my placement issues to a different thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=558294
post #725 of 1161 Old 07-17-2005, 08:57 PM

Nice thread guys.

I can never leave good enough alone. I just went from a 12 inch DIY Adire DPL to 2 15inch Titanic MKIII subs in a 15 by 25 foot room. Do you think shakers would dramatically improve my movie watching experience? I feel as if there is enough bass for movies, but it seems these offer a different effect?
post #726 of 1161 Old 07-17-2005, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Kwill, how do you like those Titanic subs?I agree they do offer up something a little different..although really good subs can give you that shake you in your butt feel as well.To me, I like to be able to feel the bass pressurize the room or load it up..A good sub needs to do this since shakers won't...Rgeb I like to have the shakers go ahead and take it right on over the top where you just really feel the shake all around you..

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #727 of 1161 Old 07-18-2005, 01:42 PM

Brickie,
When I first hooked up the Titanics, I was a little disappointed. They did not sound as good as my previous sub. However, after some break in time, and phase/ placement adjustments, the sound improved greatly. This is plenty of bass for me- (I have the LFE level down almost all the way on my AVR.) I would recommend the Titanics to anyone looking for a (relatively) cheap and high quality sub.

I certainly can feel the room "pressurize", especially during certain movies- the Hulk comes to mind. But I dont feel any vibration in my seating area (a plush type couch). Thats why I am considering the shakers for that last little bit of effect.
post #728 of 1161 Old 07-18-2005, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yeah, they will work perfect for you in this situation!I don't think you'll be disappointed at all..

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #729 of 1161 Old 07-18-2005, 02:22 PM

sweet- just what I wanted to hear. Now to figure out which model, how many, and how to power them. I am sure there are lots of suggestions in this 25 page thread- Im off to start reading-

thanks
post #730 of 1161 Old 07-19-2005, 11:01 PM

I have a question that I might have missed within the 25 pages of thread...

Lame newbie question, but how do I run the sound to two seperate recievers to utilize a dedicated reciever for shakers?

Anyone else with any hair-brained ideas... or am I the only one?
post #731 of 1161 Old 07-26-2005, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys, a few quick questions. What would be the ideal frequency in which to run the shakers? I just bought 6, and I will be powering them up with a simple amp. Do you guys recommend that I buy one of those things that cut off the higher frequency? What level should it be?

Will an amp with tone control help in any way? Those that have a know that goes from bass on the extreme left to treble in the extreme right.

Thanks

Max
post #732 of 1161 Old 07-26-2005, 03:42 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Theritzes - you run the shakers off the LFE output.

Maxkoz - run them off hte LFE output. I run mine "full range" at that level. Tone control: nope. You can buy cutoff filters if your preamp doesn't let you specify, but I wouldn't bother.

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
post #733 of 1161 Old 07-26-2005, 04:06 PM

Thanks PAP, just let me get it straight. If I use my Sub out I dont really need a cutoff filter? My HT Sub has a crossover knob, and so does the receiver. What I dont want to do is lose bass in the sub due to the setting for the shakers. Any ideas?
post #734 of 1161 Old 07-26-2005, 05:56 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Just use a 'Y' connector from your sub output on your receiver and send signal to both sub and shaker amp.

post #735 of 1161 Old 07-26-2005, 06:49 PM

PAP, sorry to insist, but what should I set the receivers cross over setting to?
Will that affect my subs performance?
Thanks,
post #736 of 1161 Old 07-27-2005, 04:40 AM
PAP
AVS Special Member

If your receiver is 5.1 there should be no crossover for the LFE output. You may be able to direct some of the output from other speakers to the sub (i.e. "small" vs. "large") but that's up to the characteristics of your other speakers (i.e. bookshelf vs. full range).

As far as the shakers, just run them with whatever come from the LFE output. If you have to choose a high pass, I'd set it around 80 hz.

post #737 of 1161 Old 07-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Just jumping in with a comment here...

Bass Shaker effects and subwoofer interaction is a matter of preference. The subwoofer should be set up to crossover properly with your main speakers.

My personal preference with the Bass Shakers is too use a separate crossover for the shakers around 40 Hz. I want to feel action effect but have as little music energy as possible passing to the shakers.

Shakers are fun and different when you first install them but once the novelty wears off, you will probably reduce the effects from your initial settings. Of course, everyone to their own preferences.

"I'm a fanatic without a cause and I believe in it!" - B. D. G.
post #738 of 1161 Old 07-27-2005, 08:53 AM

Ok, I think I am getting it, however I still have a question. Is there a difference betwen sub out, and LFE out? If thats the case, my receiver only has sub out.

I think that an fmod could be right for me. Anyone out there has an extra one to sell?
post #739 of 1161 Old 07-27-2005, 01:35 PM

Thanks pap, I figured things out once I actually set down to read all 25 pages of this thread. Page 12 or so had the answers I was looking for.

Anyone else with any hair-brained ideas... or am I the only one?
post #740 of 1161 Old 07-27-2005, 03:01 PM

Guys, I have one of those 80's amps with an eq. Will this work for me? Even if the amp does not power 20hz, I would switch it with another amp, but the question is geared towards the cutoff. WIll the eq, allow me to do the cutoff I need?

Thanks again.
post #741 of 1161 Old 07-28-2005, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
[
Shakers are fun and different when you first install them but once the novelty wears off, you will probably reduce the effects from your initial settings. Of course, everyone to their own preferences.[/quote]

it will never wear off. i've had mine for 3 mo.s and i keep turning them up and up and up ...... i need more

My sono build

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

post #742 of 1161 Old 08-01-2005, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Does anyone have experience driving bass shakers with a digital reciever? I'm looking at the Sony 3000es that can be had a a very reasonalbe price these days--and has full rs232 controll for a tie in wiith my autiomation system.

I don't really like talking about my flair
post #743 of 1161 Old 08-07-2005, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Forgive me if this has already been addressed somewhere in the previous 25 pages of the thread. If so, feel free to just point me to which page.

People have suggested running a Y-connector from the primary receiver's subwoofer output to go to a secondary receiver or amp to power the bass shakers. That makes perfect sense, but let me try this theoretical:

What if, instead of running the Y-connector out from the subwoofer out, you ran it from the DVD player's coax digital output? One branch goes to the primary receiver, the second branch goes to a secondary DD/DTS receiver. You set that 2nd receiver for 3 large front speakers, no surrounds, and no subwoofer, then crank up the bass settings. Connect to three bass shakers attached to the chair. You should then get discrete directional shaking from left, center, and right.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Any disadvantages? Would there be too much bleed from non-bassy sounds shaking the chair?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #744 of 1161 Old 08-08-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

What if, instead of running the Y-connector out from the subwoofer out, you ran it from the DVD player's coax digital output? One branch goes to the primary receiver, the second branch goes to a secondary DD/DTS receiver. You set that 2nd receiver for 3 large front speakers, no surrounds, and no subwoofer, then crank up the bass settings. Connect to three bass shakers attached to the chair. You should then get discrete directional shaking from left, center, and right.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Any disadvantages? Would there be too much bleed from non-bassy sounds shaking the chair?

I guess in theory, this could work, but I think you already addressed some of the drawbacks to this. I would think that your shakers would shake essentially whenever there was sound coming out of your speakers. In some cases, it might not be too much, but in others, I would think it would be very distracting. I don't know how wierd it would be to have as something as small as a bird chirping in the background actually shake the seats.

Also, I am not sure how much transferrence would happen as well. Even if you attached these shakers to a couch, would the other parties even be able to feel the directional shaking? Plus the guy in the center seat would probably go crazy from all the shaking from dialogue.

Now if you put an LFE crossover between the shakers and the amp, that would filter out all the high end frequencies and leave the bass to go to the sub and I suppose you could get some of the effect you describe.

So if you have the gear, I say give it a try and let us know how it feels. I would also run a normal setup so that you can see the difference between the two setups.
post #745 of 1161 Old 08-08-2005, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfman View Post

I guess in theory, this could work, but I think you already addressed some of the drawbacks to this. I would think that your shakers would shake essentially whenever there was sound coming out of your speakers.

Thanks for the response, Elfman.

I suspect you are right, but the only thing I have to add is that currently I am not using an external receiver at all. I just have the Aura Bass Shakers connected to the front mains on my primary receiver (with those channels set to Large), and I hardly get any shake at all except for extreme bass situations. I had feared, as you say, that every time someone spoke my chair would vibrate, but that isn't the case now. Is that just because I don't have enough amplification?

Quote:
Even if you attached these shakers to a couch, would the other parties even be able to feel the directional shaking?

The plan was to put the shakers close enough together that 1 person in the center would feel all three. I watch most of my movies alone. I wasn't really even thinking about others.

Josh Z

post #746 of 1161 Old 08-08-2005, 07:52 PM

I bet you'd enjoy the ability to control power to the shakers separate from your main amp. At the point you get them adjusted where you like, the higher frequency shaking may become more noticeable and subsequently bothersome? If so, an easy solution are 50/70/etc Hz FMOD in-line low pass RCA filters.

Search the forum or Google for more info.

Randy
post #747 of 1161 Old 08-09-2005, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Josh,
I tried what you're suggesting and for many movies you won't notice much 'shaking'. When it got annoying however, was when I would watch a movie that had a character with a deep bass voice. Then you'd get 'shake' whenever that character spoke. Got to be a bit annoying and so I switched to a separate amp. Much better experience now.

Xbox handle: TheRotoman
post #748 of 1161 Old 08-09-2005, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good advice.

I think I might try it anyway, and if I don't like it I'll just disconnect the output from the DVD player and connect to the main receiver's subwoofer out instead.

Josh Z

post #749 of 1161 Old 08-19-2005, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I had a bead on a cheap DD/DTS receiver but the seller turned out to be a total flake and the deal fell through.

I think I'm just going to go with a standard subwoofer amp now. Parts Express has a good deal on a 70W unit. Would that be enough to power 2 Aura Pro shakers?

Josh Z

post #750 of 1161 Old 08-19-2005, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Well, I had a bead on a cheap DD/DTS receiver but the seller turned out to be a total flake and the deal fell through.

I think I'm just going to go with a standard subwoofer amp now. Parts Express has a good deal on a 70W unit. Would that be enough to power 2 Aura Pro shakers?

If you only have two you will need to put them in series. this will result in an 8 ohm load to the plate amplifier.

Is the amplifier rated for 70 watts into 8 ohms, or at 4 ohms?

If at 70 watts at 8 ohms, you will be fine. Otherwise, you might only have 35 to 45 watts available at 8 ohms if it was rated at 70 watts into 4 ohms.

Then if only 35 to 45 watts, it will be marginal for the "pro" units as you will only have about 20 watts available for each shaker. (Now... they will still shake plenty hard at this level, but not at the full potential of the "pro" model)

Joe L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page