1Likes

post #931 of 1156 Old 04-17-2007, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. L. View Post

the 6 shaker wiring drawing is fine, all shakers will shake the same amount, and the impedance presented to the amplifier will be 6 ohms. (The amplifier will be able to supply power roughly mid-way between its 8 ohm and 4 ohm ratings)
Joe L.

whew... you got me worried there for a second! They (4seating) should really take those illustrations down if that's the case. Sorry 'bout that reaper...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1156 Old 04-17-2007, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post

Hey Joe. I agree with your thoughts on the 3 shaker diagram. It is not correct and sends more current to one shaker than the other two. Do you know if it is OK to put 3 in series for even shake? Would I get enough power from that 250W amp I linked to? Another thought is to buy a 4th and just leave it sitting on the floor but that seems a waste just to get a 4ohm load.

reaper,

Three shakers in series would be a 12 ohm load to the amplifier.

The amplifier you linked to will produce 250 watts into 4 ohms, 150 watts into 8 ohms, and probably 100 watts into 12 ohms. That 100 watts will be divided equally between the three shakers, so they will each get about 33 watts at max output of the amp.

That is probably a perfect amount of power for pro shakers. you will not be running the amplifier at max anyway as most folks want a more subtle effect, and do not fund their theater expenses with the loose change shaken out of their guests pants pockets.

So... wire your three shakers in series and get the amplifier you linked to... it will work perfectly for the 3 shakers.

Joe L.
post #933 of 1156 Old 04-17-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACP View Post

whew... you got me worried there for a second! They (4seating) should really take those illustrations down if that's the case. Sorry 'bout that reaper...

If you wired your shakers as their 6 shaker drawing shows you are OK, but if you wired two sets of their 3 shaker drawing to a stereo amplifier you are in trouble as it is really bad. uneven shaking AND a load impedance too low for most amplifiers.

Yes, they should take the incorrect drawings down...

Joe L.
post #934 of 1156 Old 04-17-2007, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting... this website showed this as the wiring diagram:

http://4seating.com/images/wiring-diagram-B.jpg

But if I remember my basic circuits, this would allow 2x the current to flow through one shaker as is flowing through the other two shakers. Is that right? Wouldn't one be really strong and the other two half as strong? Sure it'd make for a more friendly 6Ohm total load. But I was hoping to keep the shake the same on all shakers. Thoughts?

reaper,
As I already said, you are correct about the unequal shakinng... but I initially made the same error as you when mentally calculating the load impedance of three shakers wired as illustrated... It is NOT a 6 ohm load as you said, but a 2.66 ohm load... too low for most amplifiers. As wired it is a 4 ohm load in parallel with an 8 ohm load.... the resulting impedance MUST be less than 4 ohms...

1 / (( 1 / 4 ) + ( 1 / 8 ) ) = 1 / ( .25 + .125 ) = 1 / .375 = 2.66 ohms.

Joe L.
post #935 of 1156 Old 04-18-2007, 05:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Oh man, you're right. That's embarrassing.
post #936 of 1156 Old 04-18-2007, 06:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

reaper,

Three shakers in series would be a 12 ohm load to the amplifier.

The amplifier you linked to will produce 250 watts into 4 ohms, 150 watts into 8 ohms, and probably 100 watts into 12 ohms. That 100 watts will be divided equally between the three shakers, so they will each get about 33 watts at max output of the amp.

That is probably a perfect amount of power for pro shakers. you will not be running the amplifier at max anyway as most folks want a more subtle effect, and do not fund their theater expenses with the loose change shaken out of their guests pants pockets.

So... wire your three shakers in series and get the amplifier you linked to... it will work perfectly for the 3 shakers.

Joe L.

Very helpful...

Can you check my math here... if I were to add a shaker and either use it or leave it sitting on the floor, then I could have a total of 4. I could then wire each pair in series and then the 2 pairs in parallel. If I were to do that, I would end up with 2 8 ohm loads in parallel which would give me an effective load of 4 ohms. So, that would me I'd be getting the full 250W out of the amp. Half of that power would be dissipated in each series load. So, two shakers would get 125W. That means each shaker could get 62.5W. So, if I do buy this amp and find that I do not have enough shake, I could add a shaker and then nearly double the power dissipation... sound right?

I went ahead and ordered the amp. If I find that there is not enough shake, I think I could add another shaker and get more power to each...
post #937 of 1156 Old 04-18-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very helpful...

Can you check my math here... if I were to add a shaker and either use it or leave it sitting on the floor, then I could have a total of 4. I could then wire each pair in series and then the 2 pairs in parallel. If I were to do that, I would end up with 2 8 ohm loads in parallel which would give me an effective load of 4 ohms. So, that would me I'd be getting the full 250W out of the amp. Half of that power would be dissipated in each series load. So, two shakers would get 125W. That means each shaker could get 62.5W. So, if I do buy this amp and find that I do not have enough shake, I could add a shaker and then nearly double the power dissipation... sound right?

I went ahead and ordered the amp. If I find that there is not enough shake, I think I could add another shaker and get more power to each...

Your math is correct but trust me, you will not need 60+ watts per shaker.

The "pro" and 'non-pro' bass-shakers sold by Parts-Express are identical internally. The difference is that the pro version has heatsink fins on the external surface and can better dissipate heat. They can therefore be driven with more power than the non-pro versions and survive. driven with the same power, the pro and non-pro versions shake exactly the same amount. (you probably have the pro models, as the non-pro models have been sold out for a while now)

At resonance the shaker needs very little power to reach its physical excursions limits... this is going to determine the max power you can use, not the max heat it can dissipate. I'm using a 75 watt amplifier and driving 4 shakers and the amp is not turned up to its max gain. I'll bet I'm actually feeding my shakers somewhere between 10 and 15 watts each, as the amplifier is barely warm after a movie.

Try three in series first with the amplifier you linked to, and you will be able to rattle the fillings in your teeth. I'll bet you will not need more power for shaking.

Joe L.
post #938 of 1156 Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

OK. Thanks Joe. I'll let you know how it works out. I used the free shipping but since the warehouse is so close to me, the estimated delivery date is tomorrow. My concern stems from the fact that I initiall had 3 in series hooked up to a 100W/ch pro logic receiver and felt very little shaking. So, we'll see what happens here... stay tuned for a couple more days...
post #939 of 1156 Old 04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
reaper,

If you have a Phono input run your LFE into that. Should accentuate the shake.
post #940 of 1156 Old 04-18-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

The receiver is no longer available to drive the shakers... wife commandeered it.
post #941 of 1156 Old 04-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I came across another amp that should work good for people who are doing a Aura bass shaker install that are looking for power on the cheaper end but don't want to use a plate amp for power: http://www.audiosource.net/2005/amp100.html. I'm going to be pairing it with 2x Aura shakers for the HT room (to start ). was able to pick up both shakers and amp for around 210$ or so shipped...

More Setup Pix / Pix of Setup
Hardware - Sony XL3: Win7sp1 x64 / Q6700 CPU / 120GB SSD (OS) / 2x2TB TV / 8GB Ram / Radeon HD 7700LP / Ceton ETH6 Tuner

Extenders: 3x Xbox360's, 2x Roku 3's

Software: MediaBrowser / MyChannelLogosXL / RecordedTV HD / Plex

post #942 of 1156 Old 04-19-2007, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NizZ8 View Post

I came across another amp that should work good for people who are doing a Aura bass shaker install that are looking for power on the cheaper end but don't want to use a plate amp for power: http://www.audiosource.net/2005/amp100.html. I'm going to be pairing it with 2x Aura shakers for the HT room (to start ). was able to pick up both shakers and amp for around 210$ or so shipped...

That should be a nice amp. I picked up the Amp300 recently (really cheap) for my Crowson TES Stereo setup. The 150W RMS amp (8 ohms) works great and adds that tactile feel to my movies

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #943 of 1156 Old 04-19-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

I received my amp from Parts Express today. Next day shipping for me... free. It's cool to live close to PE. I'll let you guys know how it goes once I find time to try hooking it up...
post #944 of 1156 Old 04-19-2007, 10:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Got it hooked up for a trial tonight. I had to turn it down to less than half because the shaking was too much... even with 3 in parallel! Looks like Joe steered me the right way Now I just have to figure out how to mount these things...
post #945 of 1156 Old 04-20-2007, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got it hooked up for a trial tonight. I had to turn it down to less than half because the shaking was too much... even with 3 in parallel! Looks like Joe steered me the right way Now I just have to figure out how to mount these things...

Very happy the shakers are working as I predicted. Now you just need to adjust them to where their effect adds to the movie experience and does not rattle the fillings in your teeth.

Joe L.

PS.
I hope you intended to type "even with 3 in series".

3 inn series is a 12 ohm load and perfect for that amplifier.
3 in parallel would be a 1.3 ohm load and odds are way too low a load impedance.
post #946 of 1156 Old 04-20-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah, I meant to say 3 in series. As you can see from my post, it was quite late when I posted that. My mind wasn't working quite right

It was a bit of an adventure getting those things to shake. I finally determined two things that fixed my problems:

1. Switching to content in DD rather than streamed stereo MP3s made a big difference.

2. If I am going to grab the LFE signal from the other output of my X-30 crossover, I cannot have the crossover volume turned WaaaaaAAaaaY down. I had to turn that up to max and then go turn the volume at the sub down. That way, my shaker amp was getting the full LFE signal.

Once I did those two things, JetPac Refueled was rocking the theater room Wow, I can't wait to mount these things to the chairs... hopefully this weekend. I'll be all ready when Forza 2 comes out and in the meantime, I'll be playing all my games and watching movies again just to enjoy the experience
post #947 of 1156 Old 04-20-2007, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, I can't wait to mount these things to the chairs... hopefully this weekend. I'll be all ready when Forza 2 comes out and in the meantime, I'll be playing all my games and watching movies again just to enjoy the experience

If you have the movie 'The Italian Job' (2003 version) give it a try... about 10-15 minutes into the movie, the bad guys steal a safe. When that event occurs you might just be inclined to jump out of your chair...

The effect is so real I jumped the first time I experienced it and grabbed for the arms of the chair, and jumped instinctively again the same way the next night when I watched the movie a second time.

Good luck with your new amplifier...

Joe L.
post #948 of 1156 Old 04-29-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the recc... I have yet to check out The Italian Job. Sounds like now is a good time.
post #949 of 1156 Old 04-29-2007, 04:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here are two images showing how I connected the bass shaker to a Coaster Studio chairs. I found there there were some metal pieces near the bottom with holes. The piece ran depth-wise with the chair. The holes were not used to mount anything else. I bought some 1.5" angle iron 12" in length from Lowes. No cutting was required. I also got some bolts, nuts and lock washers. Finally, I cut some MDF to about 15.5"x8" (let me know if you need exact measurement... not 100% sure). Then everything could be mounted up with only a few holes in the wood to mount the shaker and the angle iron.

The shaker sits underneath the chair and is connected very well to the metal frame. There are no bulges in the leather as with other installation methods and the shaker is not touching the floor. The shaking translates very well and you don't see anything unless you get on the floor and look under the chair. Very happy!

I just got done playing some Condemned with the shakers... Oh my!

(When I said "I" earlier in this post, what I really meant it "My wife". I am an electrical engineer and she is a mechanical. As such, she usually will not let me touch anything remotely mechanically related. Hahaha)
post #950 of 1156 Old 05-02-2007, 08:54 AM

I've got 4 of the Aura bass shakers that I had underneath my recliner back in the day. I've got a Coaster Promenade setup now (2 end recliners, connect love seat in between), and was wondering if anyone has mounted these under the Promenades?
post #951 of 1156 Old 05-05-2007, 04:10 AM

I just purchased 2 Aura ast 1b-4 bass shakers (specs: impedance: 4 ohms RMS 50W, max 100W w/ both), and 2 VWS-100 (made by dot2 SR) bass shakers (specs: imendence: 2ohms, RMS 40W, 80W w/ 2, max power 100W, 200W w/ both, frequency: 20-80hz), (currently on ebay), I have a 7.1 onkyo reciever as my main amp, and have an old JVC 5.1 DD reciever, which is 85Wx5, I believe. How would i hook this up so that I can get 8ohms output? Will it be a problem hooking them up to the JVC reciever? basically, I think I would split the LFE from main reciever, into the DVD input of the JVC reciever, and from there, I don't know what I should do. Can anyone give me a detailed explaination to hooking up the bass shakers? Any help would be appreciated. I am very new to the technobabble of the ohms, ect. DETAILED explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!!
post #952 of 1156 Old 05-09-2007, 05:52 PM

Lol...I can't believe that after like 3 years of this thread being in existance there are still people asking about impedance and if their amp will work. That was all covered like 1000 days ago over and over and over again.

At any rate... I just installed two bass shaker pro's in my Natuzzi leather couch powered by a used sony str-de197. I have the sony powered out of the cross overed pre-out of my main receiver - onkyo 504. The shakers were mounted to some existing MDF that made up the bottom frame of the arm rests. I think I may add an additional two shakers either zip tied to the center of the seat cushion support or mounted to the rear part of the frame. There is not a lot of room down there because the couch sits so low. The only reason would be to spread some of the effect out of the arm rests. The whole couch shakes, but the arm rests REALLY shake.

I was also worried a little bit about the heat in the receivers. I found a 5V DC wall wort, cut off the barrel plug, and wired up three 12V PC fans. Because they are underdriven they are not audible - especially over the projector. I placed two in between the onkyo and the sony and one up top. Its not a lot of air but helps move some air up through the onkyo into the bottom vent of the sony.
post #953 of 1156 Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

You are exactly correct. One of the shakers is getting half of the power, the other half is divided equally between the other two... so they each get 1/4 of the power.

Worse yet, you might be overpowering the one shaker to get the others to shake to your liking.

The web-site with that suggested wiring knows they want a good load to the amp but does not have a clue about wiring shakers to shake equally. Their wiring diagram is a good example of WHAT NOT TO DO. in fact, I've posted previously that the diagrams on that site are mostly bad with only one or two correct.
(I don't remember which and don't feel like checking them all again, but trust me, they are selling chairs, and I don't have a clue how much they know about seating other than they want to make a sale )

That site wants to sell theater seating... Do NOT use them for shaker wiring examples.

Joe L.

I am interested in why you feel this is not a good option for people with 3 seats. I have the buttkicker amp and (3) LFE units. Three connected in series provided pathetic performance that I was in no way happy with. I am fully aware of how to calculate power and resistance loads and your calculations are correct. In my setup the center seat actually has approximately 1000 Watts available, however the outside two seats have only 250 watts each, as you have pointed out, due to the series connection of those two seats. The effective load in this design is 2.67 Ohms, which is within the capability of that amplifier. In actuality however, the actual input signal determines how much of of that available power is used. So far using this configuration while watching movies and video games there is very little noticible difference in the shaking of the center vs. the two outside seats and since they are not connected physically together there appears to be little if any resonance issues. The center seat also does not seam to be physically reaching the end of its travel (knocking) at all either. I believe this is mostly due to some threshold power requirement to feel the shaking properly as well as some efficiency curve with regards to the physical transmission of the vibrations vs. energy usage. I disagree that this is not a good setup if your only other choice is to go with a series 12 ohm connection. I did not want to buy another buttkicker just to add the 4th unit as a dummy load.
post #954 of 1156 Old 05-15-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Reaper,
only thing about your pictures is that Aura bass shakers are not recommended to be mounted horizontally.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #955 of 1156 Old 05-15-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Currently I am spliitting the LFE from Receiver and then splitting one leg again to provide a L & R feed into the CD input of a Sherwood RX-4105 receiver.

I'm then using the Left speaker output to drive two standard 25W Aura's in series, and then the Right speaker output to drive another two standard 25W Aura's in series. Each Aura is in a Berkline 088.

I do get a very subtle shake but does seem lacking. So far I've not pushed the receiver volume past 35 (goes to 60).

Based on Reapers post I'm wonder if in splitting the LFE I should push up the LFE level (currently at 0Db) and then adjust the Sub using its adjustment.

Is that the right thing to do? Is the CD input the best one to use (it also has Aux/TV, Tape & VCR)? Or should I be brave and turn volume up?

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #956 of 1156 Old 05-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

wow.. these things are awesome! I have just two of them for my row of 3 berkline 45003's and man these things vibrate the seats almost as much as my 500w JLw6v2 sub does in my car.. I can't believe it! The install worked out great in the angled wedge arms in between the seats.. and provide more than enough 'shake' for the 3 seats. Playing Gears of war with these things is just insane!

Hardware - Sony XL3: Win7sp1 x64 / Q6700 CPU / 120GB SSD (OS) / 2x2TB TV / 8GB Ram / Radeon HD 7700LP / Ceton ETH6 Tuner

post #957 of 1156 Old 05-17-2007, 02:04 PM

Does anyone have any links to buy the Aura Shakers (pro or non-pro) that isn't Partsexpress or Ebay? I'm not having any luck. Are these carried in b&m stores?
post #958 of 1156 Old 05-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmyrunon View Post

Does anyone have any links to buy the Aura Shakers (pro or non-pro) that isn't Partsexpress or Ebay? I'm not having any luck. Are these carried in b&m stores?

sent you a PM on the guy i got them through.

post #959 of 1156 Old 05-18-2007, 04:04 AM

I just recieved/purchased 4 VWS-100 by .2sr, found on ebay http://cgi.*********/BASS-SHAKERS-li...QQcmdZViewItem for $70/pair. Anyway, I didn't realize that thease bass shakers are rated at 2ohms. I have a Pio Elite TSX82 amp, which I will use the pre-amp output to connect my old JVC 887 (110w/channel)? Dolby digital amp to run the shakers. I have a question on connecting these shakers. I believe that the JVC is rated at 8ohms, but believe that it is switchable to 4ohm capability for front speakers, I may be wrong though. This is how I plan to connect them for 4ohms: I will split the LFE cable out of the Pio Elite, then input them into the JVC DVD terminal w/ another split. I will then connect JVC + to + in 1st shaker, then - from shaker to + in OTHER shaker, then - from shaker to - in JVC, do this w/ R/L channels. Is this correct? will this then output at 4ohms? If I decided to do 8 ohms, would I do this same thing, but w/ all 4 of the shakers into just 1 speaker terminal? What would be the most effecient way? thanks for the help!!
-sorry, I posted this in the shaker connection thread also, but didn't recieve a response. Any help would be appreciated. Also, what settings do I use on the JVC reciever, I think it has a built in crossover, but not sure, haven't used the reciever in 6 years.
post #960 of 1156 Old 05-21-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

Reaper,
only thing about your pictures is that Aura bass shakers are not recommended to be mounted horizontally.

I don't buy this line for two reasons:

1. I mounted mine that way and they work great. Nor problems at all.
2. This image from the manufacturer talks about mounting them underneath a car seat. I'd like to see someone do that without mounting them horizontally.

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page