post #1111 of 1156 Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Oh, and the Bass Shaker Pro's ROCK! They totally compliment the Supercube... I pushed them hard when I first got them and they were SUPER over the top so I think the original Bass Shakers would to the trick just fine.

I'm certain they would... because the original Bass-Shakers and the Pro versions are absolutely identical internally. The differences are the fins on the outside of the "pro" version, and the binding posts... and, of course the cost.

According to correspondence with Aura, inside they are the same. When fed with identical level signals, they shake the same. The "pro" versions are apparently able to handle more power (supposedly, the fins will let them dissipate heat better), but both versions will reach their excursion limits way before their power rating is reached.

Glad you enjoy the way your system is sounding. I am going to guess it can blow away the Bose system you were originally considering.

Joe L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1156 Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 PM

Hi all.

Thanks to this thread I got myself a pair of Aura Bass shakers and think they are pretty cool. I do have a slight problem though.

They are attached to my sofa which is upstairs. When the shakers are in use I can hear a booming noise downstairs. This is with or without my sub-woofer turned on.

Has anyone else had this problem?
post #1113 of 1156 Old 09-02-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If I wanted to attach these shakers to the bottom of a seating riser that is approx. 7.5' x 16' how many shakers would be required?

I realize there is always some ambiguity as some will want more "shake" than others... :-).

But I would appreciate it if any of you have experience with this type of set-up.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Use Password = AVSForum
post #1114 of 1156 Old 09-02-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

This sale price of $34.50 was that for ONE Base Shaker... or one PAIR of Base Shakers??

And were they the Pro model or the older standard model??

thx

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1115 of 1156 Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

If I have two rows of seating... with four chairs in each row...

Do I need a shaker on each individual chair... or can I mount two or three to the bottom of the riser that the set of 4 is sitting on.

I am not going for an "earthquake" simulation, but enough to add another dimension to the movie experience.

Thanks for your response.

post #1116 of 1156 Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

If I have two rows of seating... with four chairs in each row...

Do I need a shaker on each individual chair... or can I mount two or three to the bottom of the riser that the set of 4 is sitting on.

I am not going for an "earthquake" simulation, but enough to add another dimension to the movie experience.

Thanks for your response.

I'd probably go with at least one per seat... and probably more, since it is MUCH harder to shake the entire platform than a single chair. So, from 6 to 8 per riser is a good start, you might need a lot more if your riser is not isolated from the floor.

When you start to shake risers, you need a LOT of mass. A Buttkicker is is a better fit for the purpose than a set of "Aura-shakers", but they need between 400 and 1500 watts each to function... and perhaps two per riser, with the riser mounted on rubber isolators. See http://www.thebuttkicker.com/
post #1117 of 1156 Old 09-03-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

J.L. Thank you for the response...

Sounds like I would be better served to mount them directly to the seating rather than the riser.

So if all 4 seats in each row are coupled together would I need 4 per row or would 2 per row do the trick?

If I need 1 per seat then for my 8 seats then from what I have read I will need to order a second amp as I purchased the Dayton SA240 that was mentioned earlier in this thread. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-804

post #1118 of 1156 Old 09-03-2009, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pardon my silly question but shoud'nt bass shaker be mounted on some sort of wood platform on which the legs of the seat would stand so to recreate the true effect of shaking? I mean for example if you are watching jurassic park when a t-rex walk or run across the land in real world you would feel the vibration through the feet first then the rest of your body. I remember reading about it a while ago i don't know if it is on this forum or another one .

Quote:

Sounds like I would be better served to mount them directly to the seating rather than the riser.

So if all 4 seats in each row are coupled together would I need 4 per row or would 2 per row do the trick?

If I need 1 per seat then for my 8 seats then from what I have read I will need to order a second amp as I purchased the Dayton SA240 that was mentioned earlier in this thread. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-804

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #1119 of 1156 Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apilon View Post

Pardon my silly question but shoud'nt bass shaker be mounted on some sort of wood platform on which the legs of the seat would stand so to recreate the true effect of shaking? I mean for example if you are watching jurassic park when a t-rex walk or run across the land in real world you would feel the vibration through the feet first then the rest of your body. I remember reading about it a while ago i don't know if it is on this forum or another one .

Yes it would probably be "best" that way... (unless you put the shakers under the house and shake the whole house ).

However, from what was mentioned to accomplish that requires quite a bit more power and expense...which is pretty typical for the best experience.

post #1120 of 1156 Old 09-04-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With 8 shakers you are somewhat limited in how they can be connected to a single channel amplifier and still all shake the same amount.

The shakers are 4 ohms, so all 8 in parallel would result in a load of .5 ohms... way to low for any plate amplifier.

If you put 4 in series it would be a 16 ohm load. Put two strings of 4 in parallel and you get a nice 8 ohm load and they will all shake the same amount.

The amplifier you linked to is rated at 170 watts into 8 ohms. That would be 170/8, or 21.25 watts per shaker. Since most people use less than that, you'll be fine with a single amplifier. (The shakers can handle more power before they reach their thermal limits and burn up, but they reach their mechanical limits way before that point. You'll be really close to their shaking limits with that kind of power.

I have a much smaller plate amplifier feeding 8 shakers in my theater... it is probably less than 100 watts, and it is plenty.

Joe L.
post #1121 of 1156 Old 09-04-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. L. View Post

With 8 shakers you are somewhat limited in how they can be connected to a single channel amplifier and still all shake the same amount.

The shakers are 4 ohms, so all 8 in parallel would result in a load of .5 ohms... way to low for any plate amplifier.

If you put 4 in series it would be a 16 ohm load. Put two strings of 4 in parallel and you get a nice 8 ohm load and they will all shake the same amount.

The amplifier you linked to is rated at 170 watts into 8 ohms. That would be 170/8, or 21.25 watts per shaker. Since most people use less than that, you'll be fine with a single amplifier. (The shakers can handle more power before they reach their thermal limits and burn up, but they reach their mechanical limits way before that point. You'll be really close to their shaking limits with that kind of power.

I have a much smaller plate amplifier feeding 8 shakers in my theater... it is probably less than 100 watts, and it is plenty.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe...... looks like I need to call up and order another 4 shakers...

post #1122 of 1156 Old 09-04-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. L. View Post

Joe L.

So I would want to wire the shakers as two rows of 4:

Similar to this image which only shows two rows of 3.

Thanks again.
LL

post #1123 of 1156 Old 09-05-2009, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I would want to wire the shakers as two rows of 4:

Similar to this image which only shows two rows of 3.

Thanks again.

Exactly.
post #1124 of 1156 Old 09-05-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you

post #1125 of 1156 Old 11-24-2009, 07:33 AM

I have cambridgeaudio azur 640a and i really want shake my couch!
My PE cart:

- #8 x 3/4" Deep Thread Pan Head Screws Black 100 Pcs.
- FMOD Crossover Pair 50 Hz Low Pass
- Aura Pro Bass Shaker X4
- Dayton SA100 100W Subwoofer Amplifier
- AR AP18100N 18 AWG OFC Speaker Cable 100 ft. Spool
- Belkin RCA Male to 2 RCA Female Y AdapterDigital Coaxial/Subwoofer Audio Cable 12 ft. CL2

What else do i need?
Is that splitter right or do i need something like "sub-splitter" etc ^.^

And about wiring, how?
post #1126 of 1156 Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 PM

hopefully someone can help me.. i have always been in the adage that too good to be true usually is...that being said---http://cgi.ebay.com/4-BASS-SHAKERS-SUBWOOFER-AMP-HOME-THEATER-SURROUND-/280579334209?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4153d4e041---this is right cause i am seriously considering putting shakers under my couch thanx in advance...mike
post #1127 of 1156 Old 03-08-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Based on the size of thoose things I would stay away. Seem way to small to give a good kick at all. Cheap is cheap.

post #1128 of 1156 Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 PM

I had a pair of these at one time and they do work really well
post #1129 of 1156 Old 04-15-2011, 12:19 PM

so what amp is everyone reccomending to run these on? would this be good enough for 6?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=300-802
post #1130 of 1156 Old 04-18-2011, 05:34 PM

anyone want to reccomend an amp for 6 of these? I see some in this thread but they are old post, thanks.
post #1131 of 1156 Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 AM

Am I missing something? Why aren't more people recommending the buttkicker app. You can buy the wired amp to run these mini's and its cost is comparable (130) to the other amps I am seeing recommended. There is also a wireless version that can come in handy for some folks. You can still use the aura shakers instead of the buttkicker mini's that run about 80 bucks each on sale.
post #1132 of 1156 Old 04-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
i just installed 6 buttkicker mini's 2 day's ago, got them at a very good price from roman, one of the forum sponsors.

I have danley dts-10 subs, and these improved on my movie watching experience!
post #1133 of 1156 Old 01-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Sorry if I'm ressurecting an old thread, but I read a good bit of it and just ordered 4x Auras and a 100 w sub amp. I had a few questions you guys may be able to help with.

My main receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR808. It's 7.2 and I only currently have one sub. I assume I can use the 2nd sub-out to source the amp. Is there a wireless option to send a signal from my subwoofer out to the amp?

Sorry if this was answered already. I only read 22 pages so far :-D
post #1134 of 1156 Old 01-29-2012, 11:11 AM

Liked: 12
I used the second sub out on my Denon 3312 for my shakers and it works great. I have a Bryston 3B powering 8 shakers (4 per channel, wired for 4 ohms so the amp puts out 200w/ch) and am very pleased with the results.

My Home Theater pic's

post #1135 of 1156 Old 02-07-2012, 05:27 PM

Regarding your question:

" I assume I can use the 2nd sub-out to source the amp. Is there a wireless option to send a signal from my subwoofer out to the amp?"

First answer is Yes you can use the 2nd sub out for the AMP.

About a wireless signal, I have not read any in the bass shaker forum about this solution. Like you I have researched this website for days before I made my project. I will post a link of the video later.

Video of my setup:

or
post #1136 of 1156 Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello,

I have managed to get a pair of bass shakers and I'm interested in installing them but I have no idea how to connect the receiver, amp and subwoofer together to make it work.

I would be greatful for assistance:

I have:
Onkyo TX-SR309
Sony SA-wm40
and a generic stereo amp with rca inputs and 2 channels for speaker wires.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #1137 of 1156 Old 02-19-2012, 07:31 AM

Would you guys recommend getting two Aura pro bass shakers, or four Dayton Audio Pucks. These would be going on two lazyboy chairs.
post #1138 of 1156 Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 AM

I have a plate amplifier driving 8 Aura Bass Shakers. I have two Lazyboy reclining sofas with 4 shakers bolted to the bottoms of each one. I run two strings of series/parallel back to the plate amplifier. I have had this setup for over five years. Works great.
post #1139 of 1156 Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM

Sorry for late reply, but if you dig a little bit you can see on the earlier thread there has been so much useful help.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16913033

Video of my setup:

or
post #1140 of 1156 Old 07-21-2012, 04:42 PM

i am picking these older bass shakers up from craigslist Aura Bass Shakers AST-1B-4, they say they are rated for
Aura AST-1B-4
· Frequency Range: 20-100 Hz
· Effective Impedance: 4 Ohms
· Resonance Frequency (fo): 42 Hz
· Continuous Rated Power: Nominal 25 W RMS
· Max power: 50W RMS

So my question is, i will have 2, so i understand to wire in series to produce 8 ohms. But what can i use to power them? I had the idea of using my old RCA htib receiver, but it doesn't work. I'm located in canada and looking for the cheapest way to power these. I assume i should be looking at a 50W supply?
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page