Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 1156 Old 04-29-2004, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quick question..does anybody remember someone mentioning being able to put a resistor in line with the + terminal on the shaker to filter out higher frequencies? I know about the f-mods, but obviously a resistor would be MUCH cheaper considering it seems i got to but the f-mod thru the net..vs ratshack.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1156 Old 04-29-2004, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Quick question..does anybody remember someone mentioning being able to put a resistor in line with the + terminal on the shaker to filter out higher frequencies? I know about the f-mods, but obviously a resistor would be MUCH cheaper considering it seems i got to but the f-mod thru the net..vs ratshack.

I don't remember someone mentioning a resistor but I think I'm going to buy one of the Low Pass FMOD's. It seems like the shakers are shaking for more than they should. I just got this project finished so I definitely have some tweaking to do.

Also, someone mentioned that they do not, or cannot, produce sound. Not true. When I completed the installation I inadvertently left the old pro logic receiver set to Tuner and I heard static coming from underneath my sofa. It was static because that receiver does not have an antenna connected nor does it have any speakers connected since its sole purpose is to power shakers. My sub wasn't connected to the Y splitter either, not yet anyway.
post #93 of 1156 Old 04-29-2004, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought i read it in another thread..I'll have to see if ratshack sells the fmods.

brickie

post #94 of 1156 Old 04-30-2004, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Brickie,

I don't see them on radioshack.com, but Partsexpress.com sells them (very good vendor).

Enjoy!

Dennis
post #95 of 1156 Old 04-30-2004, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah i know..Ijust was hoping to have this done by the weekend..Actually i haven't bought a receiver yet,so i guess i have time.I just got home and there was my bass shakers..These things really are HEAVY!!!!!Can't wait to give them a try..May just wait til i get the fmods though..Come on guys, any other way to filter out the "higher" lows?

Also any opinions on a receiver that goes down only to 40hz instead of 20hz.Does it really matter ?..I'm looking at the same one mentioned earlier..It's new and CC has a sweet deal on them.

brickie

post #96 of 1156 Old 04-30-2004, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Brickie,

Did you finally decide on your receiver? I am looking for the best for the money - there's a CC close by but I haven't gone in yet.
post #97 of 1156 Old 04-30-2004, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Nah, not yet...I'm still waiting for someone to say wether or not being able to go down to 20hz (rated) makes a difference. The receiver at CC that i like is the one mentioned in the ad..Very attractive price but rated for only 40hz, does this matter?If i can get a answer i'll pick it up in the morning.

brickie

p.s. I'm going to ask over in the audio forum to see if i get an answer.

post #98 of 1156 Old 05-01-2004, 07:53 AM

Please help!
Getting ready today to install 4 (4ohmn) bass shakers.
Current set up is McIntosh 134 w/1 sub-out to a 5 band Parasound EQ w/volume control. My amp is a Carver 200t. I not exactly sure on the best
way to wire this.
Help!!!
Tom
post #99 of 1156 Old 05-01-2004, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Tom_Kini
Brickie,

Did you finally decide on your receiver? I am looking for the best for the money - there's a CC close by but I haven't gone in yet.

Over in the audio forum, a few guys said that receiver probably doesn't low enough..I'm headed to CC and BB right now to see what i can find..Maybe a open box deal is there and waiting for me.

brickie

post #100 of 1156 Old 05-01-2004, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by brickie
Over in the audio forum, a few guys said that receiver probably doesn't low enough..I'm headed to CC and BB right now to see what i can find..Maybe a open box deal is there and waiting for me.

brickie

I am thinking that going down to 20 will make a difference so I am doing the same as you in my area. Fortunately I've got some time before my Lane's arrive.
post #101 of 1156 Old 05-01-2004, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Well nothing in the price range i was hoping to pay..All the cheap receivers seem to go down only to 40hz..I will probably just end up buying a used one..I'm trying to keep this in the real "bang for the buck" realm..

brickie

post #102 of 1156 Old 05-01-2004, 07:16 PM

I found the F-mods at partsexpress.You can buy them in different hz.Which hz. would you guys recomment?
post #103 of 1156 Old 05-01-2004, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to go for a 60 to make sure they only vibrate in real bass situations.

brickie

post #104 of 1156 Old 05-01-2004, 08:29 PM

There's a 50hz. and 70hz. No 60hz.And there's highpass and lowpass.Which one?
post #105 of 1156 Old 05-02-2004, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, thought there was a 60...I'm going to go with 50 then...That should eliminate them vibrating if say just a male is talking...Don't want the couch shaking for something like that.

brickie

post #106 of 1156 Old 05-02-2004, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
GREAT THREAD!!

I have a 7+ year old Pioneer VSX-D606S 5.1 receiver rated at 100 watts per channel.
How many shakers could I effectively run out of this receiver if using it to run shakers only?
Is anyone else using this receiver?

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #107 of 1156 Old 05-02-2004, 09:02 AM

Quote:

There's a 50hz. and 70hz. No 60hz.And there's highpass and lowpass.Which one?

The 50hz low pass seems to be the most popular for bass shakers. High pass won't do you much good with shakers.

I haven't decided yet if I want to buy one or not. I was getting a decent effect yesterday when I was attempting to "tweak" the sub with the shakers by using the volume on the pro logic receiver that is powering them and the volume of the sub. Watched the pod race cranked up. Nice!
post #108 of 1156 Old 05-02-2004, 10:06 AM

Thanks Stan
post #109 of 1156 Old 05-02-2004, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well nothing in the price range i was hoping to pay..All the cheap receivers seem to go down only to 40hz..I will probably just end up buying a used one..I'm trying to keep this in the real "bang for the buck" realm..

brickie

When I was at CC today they had the low end Sherwood. I was talking to the guy there about what I wanted to do with it and he didn't think it would be a problem compared to the more expensive receivers they had there which went down to 10 or 20Hz. Basically he said that the rating was the freq range that the power was rated between and that the Sherwood would still amp the low end below 40Hz, of course, it might take more power than the rating to drive those freqs. In the end I decided to try it since worse case I return it.

I am not very knowledgable on audio spec's, amp's etc. so he could be wrong -- can anyone add to this?
post #110 of 1156 Old 05-02-2004, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure, but most over in the audio forum siad it was not good enough for the application..I decided to look elsewhere.

brickie

post #111 of 1156 Old 05-02-2004, 10:42 PM

Great thread! I am convinced, so I just bought a few pair from Parts Express. I'll have them ready for when I start building out my theater room. I figure one 20W per seat should be a good start. : )

-chris
post #112 of 1156 Old 05-03-2004, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

After more movie watching this weekend - I like these even more - however I will be adding an fmod to cut out just a bit of the shaking near 100hz. Problem is: should I go with a 70hz low pass or a 50 hz low pass?

What are you all out there doing? Will a 70hz cutoff do the trick?

I really don't want to order both sets of fmods.....

Any advive will help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #113 of 1156 Old 05-03-2004, 09:42 AM

Maybe someone can correct me if I wrong, but I don't see the need of a cutoff if you're listening to DD/DTS in 5.1. Or is it for DPL material that you need this for? I always thought the LFE track of DD/DTS was meant to be processed fully for bass.
post #114 of 1156 Old 05-03-2004, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the goal I have in mind is simply to eliminate some of the mild shaking that occurs around 100hz and go for more of the real low frequencies only....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #115 of 1156 Old 05-03-2004, 11:17 AM

I bought the sub plate AMP from Parts express. It has the benefit of having a bandpass adjustment, and on sale was inexpensive. 200W will run everything I need to run (8 bass shakers). So far I have 4 installed and it works great. AMP wasn't too badly priced either.
post #116 of 1156 Old 05-03-2004, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually i was wondering the same thing about f-mods..But i thinbk the key is as PCRX said, that you don't need it shaking when say Darth Vader speaks..Just an ex. of course..You really only want these things going off for the "big" bass.I ordered the 50hz low pass f-mods, and should have them by weeks end..Will then be doing my testing..I went with a inexpensive reciever..an Onkyo Tx-901.It's old and i found it a a flea market and it works flawless..No remote is the only problem..but i'm not going to worry about..Yeah i already tried programming my universal..no go.The one thin g i did like was the price $25, and it has the ability to drive 4 ohms no problems ! Rated for it right on the back of receiver..

Well when i get everything going i'll post my results..I gotta Screw a board to underside of couch and love seat to bolt shakers to.Shouldn't be a problem..Stay tuned.

brickie

post #117 of 1156 Old 05-03-2004, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Brickie,

I ordered the 70hz low pass ones - so it should be interesting to see the results.... let me know if you would possibly be interested in doing a swap of fmods down the road so you could see how the 70hz one fits in and vice versa.

I would be happy to do a swap - as I didn't really want to order both sets and will only be using one of the fmods anyway....... send me a PM. I should be getting mine in about a week or less.

post #118 of 1156 Old 05-03-2004, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds cool...i'll let you know when i get mine.

brickie

post #119 of 1156 Old 05-03-2004, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm not sure, but most over in the audio forum siad it was not good enough for the application..I decided to look elsewhere.

brickie

I set up the Sherwood (105w/2) last night and drove two of my shaker pro's off of it. It worked fine. The only problem I see is the same one you guys are having -- I am driving it with my LFE output but this will still pass less than 100hz (I am set at 80Hz right now on my Yamaha 2400) so I will need a filter. But to Brickie's point earlier I would like to try the sherwood with a low pass filter of around 50 or 60 hz but then am I only going to get 40-50hz with this receiver because the power rating at less than 40hz is not good -- or will it be okay. I am going to change my LFE crossover to 40Hz and see what I get coming through on the shakers. I'll keep you posted
post #120 of 1156 Old 05-03-2004, 07:01 PM

Hi all, I'm glad there's an active thread on this subject, as I just got my first pair of 25w 4 ohms shakers. Upon doing a quick test and setup, the following are my 1001 questions... please help :-

1) Is it better to split the LFE output from primary amp, so I can plug into the L and R of the secondary amp? Any difference compared to just one input eg. L only?

2) Would there be a loss in sound quality to my subwoofer considering there's a split of signal to the secondary amp? Or due to lower quality Y connector?

3) The vibrations from the shakers, do you feel it at the bottom of the seat or does it spread to viewer's back as well? Right now, mine is the former only.

4) If the primary's volume is at 5 and the secondary is at 5 for the best vibration, does increasing/reducing the primary volume need me to adjust the secondary or is it automatically adjusted proportionately?

5) If my secondary output per channel is 85w 8ohms, what actually happens if I connect a 25w bass shaker to each channel only or connect 2 shakers in a series? What's the difference? Would one of them blow up my shaker or amp? My amp has higher watts, does it mean my shaker can blow up if volume is too high?

Thanks in advance.

Clatto! Verata! Nnyaarrghahum(coughcough)!!
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page