1Likes

post #181 of 1156 Old 05-11-2004, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by siropa
Is there some kind of tone generator program or something I can run on my HTPC to produce some low freqs or am I just obsessing?

Use the LFE sweep in AVIA disc. It sweeps all the way from high to low frequency. By repeating the sweep and alternating chairs, you can compare the difference of the shaking and at which specific Hz frequency.

But personally, I prefer to use my favorite movie demos and use the A*B repeats on my player to compare eg. DTS demo disks, Dolby Digital trailers, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Haunting (this one is scary... I worry my shakers will blow up at the bedroom scene), etc.

Clatto! Verata! Nnyaarrghahum(coughcough)!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1156 Old 05-11-2004, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by pixel8
Use the LFE sweep in AVIA disc. It sweeps all the way from high to low frequency. By repeating the sweep and alternating chairs, you can compare the difference of the shaking and at which specific Hz frequency.

But personally, I prefer to use my favorite movie demos and use the A*B repeats on my player to compare eg. DTS demo disks, Dolby Digital trailers, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Haunting (this one is scary... I worry my shakers will blow up at the bedroom scene), etc.

duh on me. I must be staying up too late at nights because it never dawned on me to use the AB repeating of zoom player on a scene.

Thanks for the suggestion.
post #183 of 1156 Old 05-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

For those of you still searching for a relatively inexpensive way to drive the Bass Shakers, you should look into Plate Amps designed for sub-woofers.

An example is:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-793&DID=7

Not only are they relatively low cost, they have a built-in variable, low frequency bandpass filter. There are also models with and without remote control. I have my filters set to 40 Hz since I only want the very low frequencies going to the Bass Shakers. One of these plate amps can easily drive 4-8 shakers depending on how much kick you like.

"I'm a fanatic without a cause and I believe in it!" - B. D. G.
post #184 of 1156 Old 05-11-2004, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Also from PE - while not the purdy-est thing on the market - is this stereo receiver... goes down to 20hz with plenty of power.

I may be doing up this one myself.....

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-515

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #185 of 1156 Old 05-12-2004, 11:18 AM

A little off topic but there was a nice article on Buttkickers in todays Wall Street Journal in the Personal Journal section. Big thing was more guys like them then gals.

Marty
post #186 of 1156 Old 05-13-2004, 03:40 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone noticed that Parts Express now has a wiring diagram for hooking up the shakers? http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/series%20parallel.pdf They also show examples of series and parallel hook up. Series/parallel
I needed to hook up 8 shakers and I e-mailed them and the e-mailed me back a diagram on how to do it in just a few hours. I really like these guys!

Home Theater Wanna Be
post #187 of 1156 Old 05-13-2004, 04:47 PM

Thanks buddhawood,thats exactly what I needed.Good find.
post #188 of 1156 Old 05-13-2004, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I had been using an old receiver and getting lots of shake. My only gripe was that to get the amount I was looking for, the volume require also caused a fair amount of shaking when it didn't seem right. So I ordered a sub amp from PE with a crossover. Wow did that make a difference. Way more kick than i'd ever want and can actually set the crossover so low that it doesn't seem to even shake at all the points it should. much more control than the receiver.
post #189 of 1156 Old 05-13-2004, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You could have simply bought some f-mods, and that would have solved your problem.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #190 of 1156 Old 05-13-2004, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brickie
You could have simply bought some f-mods, and that would have solved your problem.

brickie

I was an excuse to get the amp. I had another use for that receiver anyways.
post #191 of 1156 Old 05-13-2004, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay that explains it..I just rewired my shakers so they are in series..3 on each side.I must say i'm still getting a TREMENDOUS effect without touching one setting at all on second receiver.Gotta go finish testing jurassic Park 1st T-Rex appearance!!

brickie

post #192 of 1156 Old 05-13-2004, 07:49 PM

siropa:

Which amp did you get? The 250 w/ remote?
post #193 of 1156 Old 05-13-2004, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie
siropa:

Which amp did you get? The 250 w/ remote?

Wanted to, but decided the remote would be overkill. Hope I don't regret that later. I ended up with the 120 watt with the free shipping.
post #194 of 1156 Old 05-13-2004, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not using a remote, but i will eventually switch to a receiver with one.Can be very important for adjusting the level of the shakers..If price is close between the amps in question, get the remote..just my opinion.

brickie

post #195 of 1156 Old 05-13-2004, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not using a remote, but i will eventually switch to a receiver with one.Can be very important for adjusting the level of the shakers..If price is close between the amps in question, get the remote..just my opinion.

brickie

I tuned mine in about 10 mins of fiddling around tonight. I guess i'm going to set mine low enough to have an affect, but to not be over powering. If i'm needing a remote to adjust them all the time, then its going against what i'm trying to do in my theater. I very much want to start up the movie and not even have a remote in sight. I'll sacrafice a little shake to not have to mess with it on the fly.
post #196 of 1156 Old 05-14-2004, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Siropa, I can feel you on some points..I agree that you shouldn't have to fiddle with them constantly,I don't..But the benefits of using a remote have already been discussed, as well as why one would want to use a receiver instead of a plate amp.But whatever works for each of us is all that matters.

brickie

post #197 of 1156 Old 05-17-2004, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Holy smokes watched Master and Commander the other night..... the cannon fire scenes were wild and I thought my wife was going to leap out of the sofa!!!!

The FMOD really seemed to help - I was able to have the shaker volume up more and eliminate some shaking that I felt was not appropriate.

Again its all about taste.... Im sure when I get a better receiver to drive these things I will have to readjust again - but I tried watching the same scenes without the shakers and it was just not the same.

There is no going back.

Brickie - my other 70hz mod should be on its way!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #198 of 1156 Old 05-17-2004, 02:05 PM

I HAVE to get mine hooked up, this thread is making me jealous that everyone is a shakin' but me. The shakers have been sitting in their box for about 3 weeks now, I have the amp all set up, The whole time I have been thinking that I will wait 'til my new carpet is installed & run the wires under the carpet, but I just want to try them now. Gotta get off work early today.

With all these comments about making the wife jump... has anyone found it gets her in the mood?
post #199 of 1156 Old 05-17-2004, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by pcrx
Holy smokes watched Master and Commander the other night..... the cannon fire scenes were wild and I thought my wife was going to leap out of the sofa!!!!

The FMOD really seemed to help - I was able to have the shaker volume up more and eliminate some shaking that I felt was not appropriate.

Again its all about taste.... Im sure when I get a better receiver to drive these things I will have to readjust again - but I tried watching the same scenes without the shakers and it was just not the same.

There is no going back.

Brickie - my other 70hz mod should be on its way!

Got it saturday, although i have not had a chance to try it yet.My wife was trying to figure out what was going on as well..She looked at me a few times like wow..Although i know it wasn't too over the top because she didn't comment on it..And believe me she would!! Even over the weekend watching Rugrats Go Wild, the shaking was awesome in CERTAIN scenes..I most definitely think this is a must have product!!

brickie

post #200 of 1156 Old 05-17-2004, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree completely. I had a few friends over for a demo on sunday. They kept commenting on the satisfaction of the rumble. after about the 5th demo clip, one of them asked if there was something extra in the seats and I fessed up. I think I had the volume just a tad high and that was a give away. I turned them off for a few clips and everyone agreed how much of an impact they make. It was the best couple hundred of bucks spent in the theater for the wow factor.
post #201 of 1156 Old 05-17-2004, 07:57 PM

I did actually get mine hooked up tonight, only had a chance for a quick play, watched the Spiddy 2 trailer a few times, that has a good effect, I do wish I had gone with a receiver with remote instead of the power amp without. I only hooked 2 of the 4 up to the coutch, and was getting a good rumble, I may hook the other 2 up tomorrow. I just don't want to over do it, I really bought the extras for when I get my new seating. Now I can't wait to have the chance to watch a movie the whole way thru with them. I also have some detective work to do as the sub output on my receiver didn't output anything, I will have to check the manual to see if it is possible to turn it off somehow. In the end I had to use the preout for the sub on the back of the DVD player. In my normal setup I run the sub from the L&R channels so I have not used the sub out in the past.
post #202 of 1156 Old 05-21-2004, 05:44 AM

Thanks to all!

I was lurking on this thread since the beginning. Now I have bass shakers installed with an active crossover. They rock!

My test disc is Toy Story 2 - big smile.
post #203 of 1156 Old 05-21-2004, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Not my favorite movie, but i recommend the " pod race scene" from Episode II as the definitive test. It will blow you away!!

brickie

post #204 of 1156 Old 05-21-2004, 02:53 PM

Uhh... That'd be Episode I. Ya, not your favorite.. It shows.
post #205 of 1156 Old 05-21-2004, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Absolutely !!! But contains some great audio demo material!!

brickie

post #206 of 1156 Old 05-22-2004, 05:48 AM

Haven't watch the pod race yet.

Last night I watched Two Towers. I adjusted my shakers with Toy Story 2 and Two Towers' bass level caused the shakers to shake too much to my taste.

In the ideal world I would adjust the shaker level before each movie. I am too lazy for that. So tonight I will reduce the shaker level and watch a quieter movie and see how it goes.
post #207 of 1156 Old 05-22-2004, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gravymaker
Hey Tom,

I bought 2 of those cheap Aura's and the effect is impressive! I put one in per sofa and your and your guests will love them. Just a tip - dont' tell them about the shakers - most people will continue to assume its the bass!

I just screwed them right to the frame of the couch underneath. A plywood connector will work great if there isn't a big enough piece of wood to screw them to underneath.

The idea of using bass shaker sounds very interesting but I have no idea what it is and how it works. Do you know of any link that explains more about this subject? Thanks.
post #208 of 1156 Old 05-22-2004, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wdang
The idea of using bass shaker sounds very interesting but I have no idea what it is and how it works. Do you know of any link that explains more about this subject? Thanks.

Go to the Speakers forum, there is a sticky there that should provide all the information you need.

Check out my small gallery

post #209 of 1156 Old 05-22-2004, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought all the info was in this thread as well..Are we not explaining ourselves good here..LOL

brickie

post #210 of 1156 Old 05-22-2004, 08:12 PM

Quote:

I thought all the info was in this thread as well..Are we not explaining ourselves good here..LOL

brickie

Actually, it's just me and my nasty habit of wanting to know things in great details including... definitions . I thought we are all 'perfectionists' here
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page