AVS Forum banner

Bass Shakers

274K views 1K replies 299 participants last post by  kaelaria 
#1 ·
I have not seen too much in this forum on bass shakers. My quaestion is has anyone purchased and used the Aura Bass Shaker Pro's (50w); AST-28-04? I have seen them for a good price but don't know how well they work. I was thinking of mounting one per seat under my Lane Majestics with a plywood connection across the frame. The other way I have heard to do this is to make a plywood base the same size as the chair demensions, raise it slightly up using rubber pads, and then mount the shakers to the plywood and then the chairs to the plywood.

I was hoping to find a cheap used receiver to drive these shakers using the pre-amp output on my Yamaha 2400.

Anybody have these and use them ? How did you mount them? How many do I need to buy to get a good effect? Is one per chair okay or should I get more?

Thanks

Tom

#2 ·
Hey Tom,

I bought 2 of those cheap Aura's and the effect is impressive! I put one in per sofa and your and your guests will love them. Just a tip - dont' tell them about the shakers - most people will continue to assume its the bass!

I just screwed them right to the frame of the couch underneath. A plywood connector will work great if there isn't a big enough piece of wood to screw them to underneath.

#3 ·
I bought two of those last month and put them in my sofa. I have a second receiver (I had an extra one) driving them. The bass is simply amazing!! I went the cheap and quick way and used plastic ties to attach them to the bottom of the seats. I'll redo all that soon by using a piece of plywood. But it sure was worth the price!! I just ordered two more for my chairs.

#5 ·
I think you guys may have just convinced me to try some of these..I too saw them at the amazing price tom saw them at..

Quick question..I'm using 6.1 receiver(has preouts), what would be the best way to connect..NOT using another reciever if possible?Could i just "split" my sub out and run them that way ?Damn, just thought about,not sure if my sub output is powered or not.. Also does anyone remember the resisitor to put in line with them ?

brickie

#6 ·
No, your sub output isn't powered so that's why I'm using a secondary receiver to power it. Works perfectly fine for DD/DTS movies, but way too active for pro-logic stuff since I don't have any control over the cross-over. Most use a sub-amp to power their shakers just for that.

And if you're using two shakers only and not the Pro version, just wire them in series. It'll make 8 Ohms.

#7 ·
I purchases several pairs during the recent Parts Express blowout and installed one per theater seat. They are powered by an older Pro Logic receiver I had laying around. I connected 3 in series (12 ohms) on the L speaker out and 3 others to the R speaker out. The subwoofer out signal from my primary Pioneer receiver is "split" to the HT Sub and Pro Logic receiver.

The reaction of my guests never fails to amaze me the first time the bass shaker kicks in.

Daniel

Reactions: Pacific Breeze
#10 ·
I have 4 of the cheaper shakers powered by a seperate stereo amp (that powers up when my Receiver powers on).

I would never want to watch a movie without them!! Just watched the Matrix Revoltions and every explosion and punch had way more impact when you feel it!

Reactions: Metasynman
#11 ·
I have 4 of the cheapie auroras in my HT. Put two on each chair. I took a different approach from screwing them into the frame. In my case also, due to the construction of my chairs, if I were to screw them into the frame, you would feel the effect much more strongly through the arm rests, which would kill the effect.

I took some "zip ties" (you know, those plastic strap thingies that you use to secure wires together) and attached a zip tie to each of the 4 mounting holes, and secured them to the spring/supports for the seat cushion and seat back. This transmits the effect directly into your butt and back, and really enhances the effect. As long as you don't crank 'em up to high, your mind perceives the effect as serious bass. I had several people ask me "wow what kind of subwoofer do you have" not realizing that it was turned down at the time.

This is also a good thing if you have other people sleeping in the house. You can still get a good bass effect, without waking anyone. (or neighbors if you're in an apartment).

I found an old 100watt Radio Shack speaker/PA amp that works great for my shakers. I put the amp under an end table (hidden) where I can adjust it from one of the chairs. Runs off the sub output from the primary AMP.

TIP: Try running the input into the PHONO input. Yeah, I know it's not made for that and if you were using normal speakers it would sound distorted and awful... But we're going for tactile sensation, not sound... and the added "punch" the more sensitive input gives, gets more effect out of your amp.

-Jason W

#13 ·
I'm going to order 10 about mid-week..don't need them all now but should be covered for later..Can't wait to give this a try!!

brickie

#17 ·
Thanks for all the feedback and the ideas - it sounds like I can't live without them. I am going to try the 50W Aura Pro Shakers first - I ordered 6 on them - one/chair. I will try something simple first and play with the effect. I PM'ed the guys that asked where I found them

#18 ·
BTW - PartsExpress still has a good price on these as well. Based on what everyone said above - it does not seem like a big investment to get the effect.

I also looked at the dedicated AMP for them but came to the conclusion that a low end receiver or used receiver with a remote would be better to drive these things. I think you might want to control the effect with the remote and turn them on and off if necessary with a remote. The AMP that Michael had a link for could not be remote controlled.

Vantorax - thanks for the diagram.

#19 ·
I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again. Aura bass shakers are one of the biggest 'bang for the buck' investments that you can make in your HT. Period.

That said, I like my shaking to be subtle. If it's subtle, then it's difficult to isolate the location of the vibration, and it just feels like a lot of bass response. If the shaker is too active, it makes it easy to isolate the source of the vibration and then it just feel like sonic the hedgehog is trying to break out of your couch. This is why I feel that it's best to use an old receiver for powering them. This way you can control the amount of shaking (probably via remote) with the volume and also turn them on and off if needed.

Guys: for wiring diagrams there are SEVERAL old threads you can reference - they cover just about every different type of install.

Good Luck to you all.

#24 ·
Please see the link in my signature for a nice LONG discussion about how to cheaply install Aura 4ohm bass shakers with an extra receiver.

I THINK my post is still sticky'ed in the speakers forum.

#25 ·
I've had the Pro's installed under my Berkline 90's for a couple of months now. I followed Bob's wiring advice, I advise all other to do the same (thanks Bob!).

I have a pro logic receiver set in stereo mode driving them, with the sub out signal of my main amp split. It's a totally cool experience. I don't go overboard with them, but it gives low bass that extra kick without having to set your sub so high that you worry about knick-knacks falling off shelves upstairs. If you set them just right, you feel the bass but guests may not realize the shake is from the chair or the sub. Which is what I was after: more movie immersion.

Get 'em, they rock!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.