Soda Dispenser - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-01-2000, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am wondering if anyone out there knows a source for me to purchase a soda despenser for my home. (And home theater!) I can get the Bag in a Box soda no problem but dont know where to get a simple 1 or 2 flavor dispenser.

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Scott
www.scottsviews.com

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-01-2000, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've always wanted to do that, too. However, aren't these things quite loud? You'd have to place one outside the HT room.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-05-2000, 04:48 PM

I don't know anything about this (I just looked it up via a search engine). Maybe one of you can check this out and post your findings.

Mike

www.athomesoda.com
post #4 of 24 Old 06-08-2000, 07:56 AM

Don't hesitate to check out ebay....search under "soda fountain" or "soda machine"

Richard Bird
post #5 of 24 Old 06-08-2000, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I have looked on ebay and the only stuff I find is Old Coke Machines and old 50's style soda fountains. I want a modern bag in a box machine. I would think that someone sells these.

Scott

Scott
post #6 of 24 Old 06-10-2000, 12:39 AM

My understanding is that most restaraunts don't own these machines. The soda vendor (Coke/Pepsi) supplies the machine, for free or with a low monthly lease, provided the restarunt continues to purchase their syrup and supplies.

I gave up trying to find a machine for this reason. Just way too hard to find one, and if you do, it's not so easy to get the supplies in a manageable amount. If I remember correcly the bag in the box is 5 gal of syrup, mixed 7-1 ratio, now that's a lot of soda to drink. Sourcing the CO2 is much easier though.

------------------
Jeffrey Macko
The Royale Theater

Jeffrey Macko
RoyaleCinema.com
post #7 of 24 Old 06-12-2000, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The thing is I can get the bag in a box soda easily enough. (a box of Coke is $40. (No name brands are $30)

Just finding the machine is the problem. I don't even want multipul flavors, just 1 flavor is enough.

Scott

Scott
post #8 of 24 Old 06-13-2000, 02:14 PM

Scott, where do you find the soda in a bag, thanks
post #9 of 24 Old 10-04-2000, 09:54 AM

In case anyone is still interested...

I have visited Paragon's site, and was less than pleased. It is a nice looking fountain, but apparently, you pour some syrup into your glass, then add the carbonated water from the tap. I find it remarkably low tech for $2,300.

So I renewed my search for this sort of equipment, and I found a company called Wunder-Bar that is more than happy to sell their restaurant systems to home theater owners. Their systems are of the type you see in bars. You lift a hose and press the button for the flavor you wish to dispense. I received an email from Bret Baker, bret@wunderbar.com, indicating that prices range from $1,775 for a five flavor (three bag in box syrups plus soda water and plain water) to $2,612 for 10 flavor (eight syrups). You also need tubing at $5 to $6 per foot for each flavor and the CO2. I don't know how much give is built into this pricing structure.

Mr. Baker invited me to identify my city so a local contractor could make a firm offer, and I likely will take him up on it in a couple of months, but I thought others may wish to contact him as well.

------------------
Lloyd Lawrence
lloyd@lloydian.com

"The letter 'k' is in this script exactly 1,456 times! That's perfectly divisible by three!" - Kit Ramsey, Bowfinger

Also find me in:
alt.disney.disneyland
rec.arts.disney.parks
alt.video.ptv.replaytv

Lloyd Lawrence
post #10 of 24 Old 10-06-2000, 12:57 PM

They do occasionally pop up on eBay, here's a current one: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=459727241

That Wunder-Bar thing is intersting and certainly takes up less space on the front end.

-Steve

-Steve
post #11 of 24 Old 10-07-2000, 09:24 PM

I used to work for a company in Detroit that sold the bags to facilities, they also provided the wonderbars as well. Your best bet would be to contact a small distributer of bags, ask them about where you could get the wonderbar equipment.

Peter L.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-08-2000, 07:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
http://www.ht-express.com now has them for sale on there site!

------------------
David Bott
It's A World Of Entertainment...Experience It!
AV Science/AVS Forum Admin
http://www.avscience.com
http://www.avsforum.com

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #13 of 24 Old 10-09-2000, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David Bott:
http://www.ht-express.com now has them for sale on there site!
Do you actually have one of these? It looks like a beautiful unit, but the syrups appear to be proprietary, and the mix is done by the user, not the equipment. Or have I read it wrong?

------------------
Lloyd Lawrence
lloyd@lloydian.com

"The letter 'k' is in this script exactly 1,456 times! That's perfectly divisible by three!" - Kit Ramsey, Bowfinger

Also find me in:
alt.disney.disneyland
rec.arts.disney.parks
alt.video.ptv.replaytv

Lloyd Lawrence
post #14 of 24 Old 10-27-2000, 09:28 AM

JL, as you know, but others reading this forum may not, I have not yet received the unit, but will keep you posted on any success I may have. And I was this close to buying the Wunder Bar.

------------------
Lloyd Lawrence

Also find me in:
alt.video.ptv.replaytv

Lloyd Lawrence
post #15 of 24 Old 11-14-2000, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I found this link on the web. They start at $1299. The web site doesn't include much info so I don't know what supply format it uses.

I can't believe these things are that expensive. They are simple devices, really.
http://www.athomesoda.com/
post #16 of 24 Old 11-19-2000, 04:13 PM

Try going to http://www.geocities.com/timr21 He is a great guy. He got me hooked. I got mine on E-bay for about $600, But that's for Everything, A 6 head dispenser, ice box/cold plate, syrup pumps, carbonators, the works.
Try searching for "soda dispenser" I'll install it and let you know.
Mark
post #17 of 24 Old 11-22-2000, 10:45 PM

Thanks, Tim. Your advice looks great! As was noted previously, I just purchased a dispenser (with compressor and pumps for BIB) off Ebay. I'm still in the planning stages of the project.

In your report, you say that ice from the freezer is insufficient. Could you (or anyone else) expand on that? Is it because it is in large cubes or are there other issues?

Thanks for your time!

------------------
Lloyd Lawrence

Also find me in:
alt.video.ptv.replaytv

Lloyd Lawrence
post #18 of 24 Old 12-06-2000, 12:48 AM

Not sure exactly how sub-cooled ice differs from regular ice. But, I have seen the inside of a restaurant ice machine, and the way it makes ice is different from the standard, put water in tray, put tray in freezer, wait for solid cube.

A restaurant ice machine produces ice, by cooling a plate that has ice cube shaped holes in it. The plate is oriented vertically. A pump circulates water to the top of the plate, and then it dribbles down the plate like a waterfall. The bottom of the plate has a tray for the pump to collect and re-circulate the water that did not freeze. Additional water is added to the tray via a float (very similar to a carburetor or your bathroom toilet) as the water level drops due to the ice on the plate.

When a sensor on the front of the cold plate senses that the bridge depth between cubes has been reached, the plate gets warm, and a sheet of ice cubes approx 2 x 3 feet drops straight down to the collection bin, where the bridges between the cubes break on impact. (Due to the angle of the plate the falling cube sheet misses the collection tray when it falls)

The collection bin, although it generally is big enough for two grown men to easily hide in, doesn't contain any additional cooling.

The ice does differ from homemade ice in that it looks clearer. The clarity of the ice I would assume is due to the circulating flow of water freezing in little micro layers rather than as one big mass. Perhaps when frozen as one big mass, the outsides freeze and the air in the water (yes air in water, how did you think fish breathe?) at the center of the cube isn't able to escape and is frozen like Han Solo. Thus a cloudy ice cube.

Well I've been up too late, way too much rambling. (When I use Han Solo, talking about ice it's a sure sign that it's time to go to bed.)

Later! Happy Beverage to you.

------------------
Jeffrey Macko
The Royale Cinema

Jeffrey Macko
RoyaleCinema.com
post #19 of 24 Old 12-06-2000, 07:48 AM

Is there any alternative to a cold plate? I'd rather not have to haul a chunk of ice down to my basement every day....could I run the soda through my existing keg fridge or something? Seems a lot easier...
post #20 of 24 Old 12-06-2000, 08:24 AM

There are some units with built in refrigeration. They generally dont have the ice dispenser above. If there is room inside your keg fridge, you could cut a hole in the side (being carful not to cut a hole where any refergeration parts might be....), run the hoses through it, and hookup the cold plate inside the keg fridge. (Seal the hole with some sort of expanding rigid foam insulation.)

I was considering a mini dorm frige for this problem. But the costs on this project are starting to spiral and the WAF is going south.

------------------
Jeffrey Macko
The Royale Cinema

Jeffrey Macko
RoyaleCinema.com
post #21 of 24 Old 12-22-2000, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

I'm talking with one of my best buddies, and he says, unless you plan on maintaining a machine quite a lot, the syrup gets the dispenser nozzles quite gummy. You may want to get a more personal, or smaller size unit. He does not reccomend bag in the box unless you drink more than 1 gallon of COke per sitting. He goes through 1 bag in a box per week. That means lots of maintenance, whether in use or not. He says you should consider the premix, since the flavour is more "true" to the original formula, and the quantities, although more expensive per gallon/litre, but there is less manitenance, and you do not need a dedicated water line.

Klutzo.

------------------
Klutzo, the newbie HT Boy.
BA mains, Energy surrounds and sub.
Sharpvision main FP
Sony Wega aux monitor
Dalite 2.8 Gain screen

Klutzo,
the newbie HT Boy.

Please, feel free to visit the klutzoplex! Click the link below. =>

Click here to visit the Klutzoplex
http://www.klutzoplex.com
post #22 of 24 Old 12-22-2000, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

I forgot to add, he works as a manager to Dairy Queen, so he goes through quantities. Perhaps an authentic Coke or Pepsi fridge setup would be more manageable.

klutzo.

------------------
Klutzo, the newbie HT Boy.
BA mains, Energy surrounds and sub.
Sharpvision main FP
Sony Wega aux monitor
Dalite 2.8 Gain screen

Klutzo,
the newbie HT Boy.

Please, feel free to visit the klutzoplex! Click the link below. =>

Click here to visit the Klutzoplex
http://www.klutzoplex.com
post #23 of 24 Old 12-24-2000, 02:12 PM

Not to offend your friend, but if his dairy queen is only going through 1 bag in a box a week, he had better look for a new job because its going out of business soon. As for the maintenance/gummy factor, the only time syrup is exposed to the air is at the end of the valve at the head. The post mix method is not as messy as one would think.
post #24 of 24 Old 01-16-2001, 11:06 AM

A few people have asked -- what's the best source for bag-in-the-box syrups. I expect my "new" (used) soda gun system to arrive this week and I'm without syrups....should I try someone local, or are there good deals on the Internet?
Closed Thread Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page