HTAuthority official Coaster home theater seating powerbuy thread (Aug 06' edition) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We at Home Theater Authority are very pleased to announce our second of three total Coaster seating powerbuys in 2006. looking forward to serving members needs once again.

This thread is reserved for questions, feedback, pictures, etc. We always love to see pics of members theaters and this will play part in our surprise draws for this particular powerbuy. We have some freebies to give away as usual not to mention a nice prize or two going out to members at the powerbuys conclusion.

The only thing i have not done yet was adjust the Canadian dollar exchange rates on the Canadian powerbuy page, i will get to that ASAP.

Link to offical powerbuy thread (thanks again to Alan and AVS!)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=712413

list of members to date:

week 1: Michael J, Apaprzycki, Randall B, jmd5505, Kim M, Aimee S, KingRat
week 2: Tongyu W, king_arthur, Brian C, tennybrink, Skogan, _mulder,
week 3: Gregg, Ricarte M, hoogs55, Omar M, wjm, Robert G, Chris R, Tripp P,
week 4: David S, David W, dsleedesign, hillsoft, bakerybum, Robert T, Shayne P, HuskerHarley, Randall B (second order), drkly1, Stephen H, bonedaddy77, bbvb1333, defelvis, switched02

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Matinee collection looks perfect for my application. But the lack of a power recline option concerns me a bit. I sat on some Coaster seats with the Legget and Platt mechanism and found it to be extremely difficult to lower the leg rest. I really had to throw my weight into it, and I'm a big guy. Otherwise, the seats seemed very nice.

So were these seats (the ones that I sat in) defective or is it normal to have to work so hard to lower the leg rest?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:34 AM

Liked: 10
I'm a bit disappointed :( to see such a limited range of leather/fabric colors.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

gremmy,

as with all furniture that employ heavy duty recline mechanisms the chairs can be a bit stiff when new but do loosen up with some use. This is typical of any recliner. Rest assured the recline does loosen up with time. We actually had one customer that wanted to return his seats for this very reason but after a couple of weeks of use the couple decided to keep the chairs. The infinite seat back recline positions is also a great feature since the chair can recline in any position, much like power recline except done manually:) Again, the recline positions are not limited to 2-3 fixed positions which is key.

Keith,

fortunately the colors offered are the most popular (black and brown leathers). Unfortunately, the choice of colors is limited but this is how the prices are kept as low as possible.

Please note once again that this month for all online purchases, centrally and eastern located members can use the "rest of USA" tab in the configuration box for the slight additional savings.

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Old 08-18-2006, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have you personally sat in the matinee collection? I was curious how their comfort compares to the other seating options. I'm a big guy (6'2", 268 lbs.), but I know I didn't have any trouble fitting comfortably into the small Berkline 88s when I tried those out a few weeks ago.

Also, I noticed that there does not appear to be "sizes and dimensions" link for the Matinees as there is for some of the other models on your Web page. I'm curious about a few things:

1) How far out from the wall must they be to recline?
2) What is the length from the back of the chair to the end of the leg-rest when fully extended
Old 08-18-2006, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And one more thing: Do you not take major credit cards?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

hi gremmy,

the Matinee collection is a brand spanking new product and personally i have not sat in them yet to answer your question. The sizes are listed directly on the powerbuy page. Our favorite and best seller has always been the "Studio collection". They are larger seats overall (similar to the Berkline 090) and they fit the best balance between comfort and support. We have had several customers coming into our showroom to purchase our high end seating and they liked the Studios so much (even minus the power recline) that they purchased the Studios instead. This is what makes the Studios and excellent choice, the chair appeals to everyone. The only negative is that these chairs are larger and take up more space which means they will not work in every room. The Showtimes come in as the space saving model and now the new Matinees as our entry level product. The Paramount collection is our most exciting new product, we believe it will be a best seller down the road.

1)The "wall hugger" design would remain consistant in all seating models meaning that the chair can be placed as close as 3" from the back wall.
2)The Matinee chair is slightly taller therefore the overall length when reclined would quite a bit more (do not have the specs), especially with the push back design since this model is not your typical "wall hugger" theater seat.

please note that as noted on the powerbuy page but to recap that the new models are only available out West until early/mid September when the new lines arrive at our central/eastern distributors. Due to this some members will have longer lead times unless a particular member would like his or her order shipped ASAP. In these cases since we are shipping from out West we will need to charge more for shipping.

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Old 08-18-2006, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by power
hi gremmy,

The Showtimes come in as the space saving model and now the new Matinees as our entry level product.
It looks to me like the Matinee is really the space saver here. Am I reading the specs correctly? It says that a row of 3 Matinees is only 85 inches (which is actually a tad narrower than the Berkline 88s) while a row of 3 Showtimes is
101 inches. Is this correct?

Also, when you say that the Matinees are the entry level product, Do they have the same quality of construction as the other models?

Quote:
please note that as noted on the powerbuy page but to recap that the new models are only available out West until early/mid September when the new lines arrive at our central/eastern distributors.
On your page, it says that the Matinees are only available "Centrally" and "Out West" until September. This is in the Matinee section of the page. Is this a misprint? Are they not available centrally? I am located in Missouri.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:41 AM

I am interested in a set of the Matinee as well should I wait till next month to order as I am in OH.........

thanks

"Don't get mad at me just because you were dumb enough to fall for the ol' Wookie-prisoner gag."
Old 08-18-2006, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

gremmy,

correct, the main difference is that the Matinees are configured in a straight configuration while the Showtimes are in a curved/wedged configuration. A wedge config easily adds 10-12 inches to a row of 3 seats.

correct on the second point. To be more specific, the Matinees are available out of Texas so if you are located in the southern central states then no problem. If you are located in IN, IA, WI, MI, etc then due to shipping distances there will be added shipping costs until stock is available in our Chicago warehouse and we have the ability to ship from there. I will correct the page to reflect the southern central states.

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Old 08-18-2006, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

echobassgeek,

you can order whenever you are ready but your order in your case will not ship out until mid next month so from today you are looking at about a 4 week lead time for delivery. This ETA is not cut in stone however. Many dealers have a 3-4 week lead time as standard, we deliver quickly and when delays exist we try to be as accurate as possible. There is alot of info on the powerbuy page already, i tried to provide as much info as possible without getting confusing. Tried to provide as much info as possible, not easy:)

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Old 08-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Serge, do the Matinees come any other colors or in leather? I know you said they are new so maybe limited info may be available, just checking. Curious about taupe leather.

All I want for Christmas is my two front seats
Old 08-18-2006, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ion-man,

they do come in all vinyl but not leather. It is our decision to not stock or sell the vinyl; why, simply because we are allowing our personal tastes to get in the way. We do not care for the feel or the look of all vinyl seating even on an entry level product.

The microfibre however meets our seal of approval as a fine addition to the products we carry:)

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Old 08-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Serge, BTW, does the microfibre come in Taupe or Tan color?

All I want for Christmas is my two front seats
Old 08-18-2006, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ion-man,

they do come in all vinyl but not leather. It is our decision to not stock or sell the vinyl; why, simply because we are allowing our personal tastes to get in the way. We do not care for the feel or the look of all vinyl seating even on an entry level product.

The microfibre however meets our seal of approval as a fine addition to the products we carry:)
Does it say anywhere on your page which materials are available for which seats? I didn't see this posted for the Matinees. Although it sounds like from what you're saying that they are only available in micro-fiber. Is this correct?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

gremmy,

correct, only the microfibre is made available on the Matinees. Ion-man, the color is "saddle".

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Old 08-18-2006, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
gremmy,

correct, only the microfibre is made available on the Matinees. Ion-man, the color is "saddle".
Are they only available in the one color? As shown in the pic?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

gremmy,

whatever is pictured on the powerbuy page is what is available in terms of colors. It really is that simple. If members click to enlarge images one will see whether the seating is available in fabric or leather. Actual swatches are posted as well (click on the link towards the top of page). I must indicate that we do not have samples for the Matinee seating as of yet.

To be more specific:

the Studio series are available in black or brown leather
the Directors in saddle brown leather only
the Showtimes in black or taupe leather
the #7578 sectional and the #7588 group in black leather only
the Matinees in saddle microfiber
the Promenade collections in black or taupe leathers or tan microfiber.

The above consists of all the available colors offered by the manufacturer. We are not limiting the selection of colors in any way. What members see for colors is what is available. The brown and the black choices will appeal to almost all members, these are standard colors in any furniture line and the most popular to boot.

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Old 08-19-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I was just looking for some inexpensive seating . This could prove to be just what I was looking for! I'm going to have to measure and figure things out. Since I live in NJ I guess I'm in no rush since I apparently can't get it any time soon.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

chap,

my apologies for that but i would rather explain everything up front so that you know what to expect. I do not want members ordering the Matinees for example and after the fact tell members their order will take 4 weeks to deliver. We do not work this way...

I will update members in this thread on availability (#600109 and #7855) as soon as i receive more tangible information. Members not in a hurry can feel free to order these new products, as soon as stock comes in these orders will ship out. Will keep members updated as always on the status of the order in the meantime.

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Old 08-19-2006, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Serge,

Just curious, but do you know how high the seat is on the Matinee series?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How wide are the seating surfaces? 85 inches for 3 seats is amazingly compact. I am concerned that the seats will feel cramped. I have sat in the Showtimes and found those comfortable and not cramped though those are 93 inches for the set of 3. I know you mentioned that the Showtime features a curved/wedge configuration and that could add 10-12 inches. So do the Matinee compare in terms of roominess to the Showtime?

Also do the Matinee feature the pull handle for the recline mechanism that is located on the inner right side of each chair's arm? The photos do not show this view.

lastly is the warranty the same as on the Showtime?

Thank you very much.

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!
RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
Old 08-19-2006, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego
How wide are the seating surfaces? 85 inches for 3 seats is amazingly compact. I am concerned that the seats will feel cramped. I have sat in the Showtimes and found those comfortable and not cramped though those are 93 inches for the set of 3. I know you mentioned that the Showtime features a curved/wedge configuration and that could add 10-12 inches. So do the Matinee compare in terms of roominess to the Showtime?

Also do the Matinee feature the pull handle for the recline mechanism that is located on the inner right side of each chair's arm? The photos do not show this view.

lastly is the warranty the same as on the Showtime?

Thank you very much.
Excellent questions. I am curious about this too. I know from experience that the seats on the Berkline 88s were plenty wide enough for a big guy like me, and a row of three 88s is just about equal in width to a row of 3 of these Coaster Matinees. Of course, I'm not exactly comparing apples to apples, so I am interested to know how the seats on these measure.

Edit: According to the information on the Website, a row of three Showtimes is 101 inches wide if you measure across the back. Doc, I expect that the 93 inches is measured across the arm.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well if my rough estimating is correct I figure the following:

There are 4 arms each of which is approximately 5 inches wide. So take the 85 inch width of the entire 3 piece set and subtract the 20 inches that the arms will contribute (4 arms x 5 inches each). You are left with 65 inches divided among 3 seating surfaces which is roughly 21.5 inches wide per seat.

I just measured my set of recliners I bought for my first HT that these will replace and the widest point on their seating surfaces are only 20.5 inches wide and they taper toward the rear to the narrowest point being 18 inches. I have never felt these that recliners were cramped at all, never even thought about it. So the Matinees should be plenty roomy if my logic holds true on the width of their seating surfaces.

I am all but certain I will be getting these. The look of them is really growing on me too.

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
Old 08-19-2006, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego
Well if my rough estimating is correct I figure the following:

There are 4 arms each of which is approximately 5 inches wide. So take the 85 inch width of the entire 3 piece set and subtract the 20 inches that the arms will contribute (4 arms x 5 inches each). You are left with 65 inches divided among 3 seating surfaces which is roughly 21.5 inches wide per seat.

I just measured my set of recliners I bought for my first HT that these will replace and the widest point on their seating surfaces are only 20.5 inches wide and they taper toward the rear to the narrowest point being 18 inches. I have never felt these that recliners were cramped at all, never even thought about it. So the Matinees should be plenty roomy if my logic holds true on the width of their seating surfaces.

I am all but certain I will be getting these. The look of them is really growing on me too.
The price is certainly right. If only they were available in black micro-fiber it would match the decore of my theater a bit better. But I'm still in design time, so I can always change the color scheme. I wonder what color walls/carpet would look nice with that saddle-brown micro-fiber.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah the color is what I view as the tradeoff for the incredible value, basically you have no choice. BUT it is a nice color, I think the seats look really good. The microfiber appears to be a tight fit which I really like. I have seen many couches and loveseats covered in microfiber with a loose fit and that gets wrinkled looking quite easily. It's not like we're debating if they are worth getting because they are cheap but unattractive.

I will simply do as you said and go with colors that are complementary, that makes the lack of color choice essentially no issue.

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
Old 08-20-2006, 12:39 AM

Has the pricing changed since the previous powerbuy?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

doc,

that sounds about right for measurements. Unfortunately i do not have all the specs, only overall dimensions. Figure a 5.5-6" arm width with a 20.5ish" seat width. I know it's difficult in chosing with only one Matinee color available but the good thing is all the color is neutral.

cosmos,

the pricing has not changed since the previous powerbuy, we use to charge a 3% fee for paypal, credit card purchases now we do not. This is the initial difference you see in the price. To save even more as mentionned there is the check payment option also available at checkout.

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Old 08-20-2006, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Serge,

I hope I'm not being too redundant with my questions, but are you absolutely sure that the Matinees only require 3 inches from the wall to fully recline? I'm asking because I know you said you don't have the full specs yet, and when I compare the pictures of the partially reclined Showtime to the partially reclined Matinee, it sure does look like the Matinee eats up more space when it reclines than the Showtime. That could be an optical illusion though.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

gremmy,

not a problem at all, i will check to confirm on Monday.

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Sponsored Links
Advertisement