Pre-Movie Intro Slide and Trailer Show - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-30-2006, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Along with many others here on the forum, I want me home theater to be as close tot he real deal as possible, just minus the annoying kids talking on cell phones and the sticky floors. One of the things we have all tried to put together at pre-movie shows with trailers and such. I know because I have searched this forum many times hoping to find an easy way to do it. Well, tonight I stumbled onto such an easy method. I want to share it all with you, but I realize not everyone will have the same software I do, but hopefully you can find a way to make it work.

Programs I used:
1. Roxio Easy Media Creator. Came free with a $69 DVD burner I bought at Best Buy to replace mine that died a week ago.
2. DVD Shrink - Downloaded off the net
3. DVD Lab - Bought off the net

Other items I used to create show.
1. My custom CeRT intro DVD from Bitstream Animation .
2. Coke Slides that I purchased from this forum. any slides would work or personal photos. Whatever you want to show.

My method/process.
Step 1: I ripped my CeRT intro using DVD Shrink onto my computer. I also ripped a copy of a DVD that I own (for my use only so not to break the law). I striped out all the trailers and menus, just the movie.

Step 2: Using the Roxio software, I created a slideshow and entered the slides I wanted. I also added a song for background music. Now, You can only add one song per slide show, at least I think, so I made two slide shows with two different songs. For a total of about 9 minutes of slides. Each slide appears for about 8 seconds. I made a 3rd slide show that was only 30 seconds long. This slide show has a few of the slides informing viewers to shut off cell phones and where the exits are. I used the Cinemar audio tracks (downloaded from their website) to alert the viewers the show would start in 1 minute. I made a 4th slide show with the Cinemar audio to tell viewers they are about to experience the Ultimate in Home Theater. And the show is about to begin. these slide shows are then created as a computer media file and saved on the computer under "My Videos".

Step 3: Using the DVD Lab program, I created several small "movies" by importing the slides shows, CeRT intro and movie. Using the simple menu creator, I linked all the "movies' together so that they would run one after another. DVD Lab then created one single movie and burned the product onto a disc.

Result: I have a single disc with 10 minutes of pre-movie slide shows, my customer home theater intro, and a movie. There is no DVD disc switching, equipment source switching, I do not need to using my computer, and everything is on one disc. Best part is, with this setup, every movie night, all I need to do is swap out the movie file and re-burn the DVD. I am using DVD-RW's, so I don't waste discs. The final product is AMAZING.

If there is a large enough interest, I would be willing to put together a word document with detailed instructions and screen prints of how to do this. Granted everyone would need to have the same software I have or something similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congratulations and thank you. I have been using various htpc solutions, but I have seen many questions about how to do this on these forums and am glad that someone finally posted a mini how-to. I am sure that your guests will enjoy this and so can the guests of many others who follow your advice.

Good work,
Brian

P.S.
Nice theater

I love NEW technology, it makes the stuff I can afford even cheaper.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-18-2007, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I love this write up. I have nero 6, and cant stand the dvd menu options. (buttons, backgrounds ect...) What dvd creation software do you like the most? Those who have plenty of experience!
post #4 of 8 Old 02-18-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I have recently changed some of the software that I am using to create "movie night" DVD's. I have purchased a license for DVDFab which allows me to rip entire movies or parts of movies. I really like using DVDFab instead of the AnyDVD and DVDShrink combination. Other than that, I am still using the software and method I described above. Only now I have discovered that I can create only a slideshow video and match it up with 5.1 audio from DVD concerts I own. That way even the slide show has GREAT 5.1 sound.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-18-2007, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

Other than that, I am still using the software and method I described above. Only now I have discovered that I can create only a slideshow video and match it up with 5.1 audio from DVD concerts I own. That way even the slide show has GREAT 5.1 sound.

Which version of ROXIO do you have?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-19-2007, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnickersonjr View Post

Which version of ROXIO do you have?

I have the free version which came with my burner... Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 Basic Edition for Windows.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-22-2007, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What is the link for these Cinemar audio files you mention? Are they free downloads?

Hmm, basic version of DVDLab is $99, gotta find something cheaper (or free/open source!). Anyone know of other programs that would combine the different video files into one playable disc image? Hmm - I read about a free program called DVDFlick which *might* work. But when you rip the main movie to your computer, isn't it in VIDEO_TS folder? So what file do you use in the DVD authoring program - the IFO file(s)?

For making the slideshows, I believe you could also use Windows Movie Maker which is built-in with Windows XP. I've used it to make a slideshow of trip pictures with songs in the background and it worked pretty well.

I had thought about doing this before, but for some reason never considered trying DVD-RWs so you don't waste any blank discs. Wonder if my olllld DVD player will work with -RWs!
post #8 of 8 Old 02-22-2007, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post

What is the link for these Cinemar audio files you mention? Are they free downloads?

Hmm, basic version of DVDLab is $99, gotta find something cheaper (or free/open source!). Anyone know of other programs that would combine the different video files into one playable disc image? Hmm - I read about a free program called DVDFlick which *might* work. But when you rip the main movie to your computer, isn't it in VIDEO_TS folder? So what file do you use in the DVD authoring program - the IFO file(s)?

For making the slideshows, I believe you could also use Windows Movie Maker which is built-in with Windows XP. I've used it to make a slideshow of trip pictures with songs in the background and it worked pretty well.

I had thought about doing this before, but for some reason never considered trying DVD-RWs so you don't waste any blank discs. Wonder if my olllld DVD player will work with -RWs!

I will have to search again for the Cinemar link. If not, I can just send you the files via email. They are very small in size and were available for free to download. As for DVDlab, I was able to download a "free" copy off the net. Full version without a trail end date. If only there were a way I could burn the program to a disc and share without breaking any copy-write laws....

When you rip a dvd to your computer, you need to import a file (I'll have to see what the file extension is later when I am at home) from the VIDEO_TS folder into DVDLab. DVDlab will demux that file into separate video and audio tracks for you. You then drag and drop those tracks into a "movie" segment in DVDlab. So for example, if you make a slide show video using Windows Movie Maker, you can import that file into DVD lab. Also import into DVDlab a song ripped from your favorite concert DVD (which will be separated into audio and video by DVDlab). Within DVDlab, add the slide show video to a "movie" and then add the audio track from the concert. You now have a "movie" slide show with 5.1 audio. Once you do it a few times, it is much easier than you think it would ever be. I would be willing to step you through the process.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page