Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFalz View Post

bike potato
greighn
Sevker
mprusak
Stone Mason

Your blender files are done.

And mine looks great! Thanks Mike!! I'll post a low rez wmv of it later on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To those having problems rendering a 16:9 resolution in your dvd player without black bars, I'll repeat some advice that I picked up in the original FOX intro thread. I'm not the originator of this information but it worked for me and my FOX intro.

720x480 (DVD resolution) is obviously not a 16:9 ratio (it's 1.5:1 rather than 1.777:1). In order to fill the screen with no black bars you need to use a true 16:9 resolution, such as 800x450 instead. This is close enough to the regular DVD resolution, but maintains the aspect ratio that you're looking for without the black bars.

Of course you can render in the HD resolutions (1280x720, etc.) and eliminate the problem entirely, but in the FOX thread there were many peole complaining about black bar issues while trying to get DVD or near-DVD resolutions, so I thought I'd repost the solution here. Hope that helps.
post #183 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Finally after a long week of not having the time to touch my .blend file it's Friday and I'm able to add some finishing touches. The white on gold lettering is now complete, and I've attached some 16:9 screenshots showing the new look. It was painstakingly difficult to do, but I think it turned out nice.

Also, I felt that the text was a wee bit dark after settling into place in front of the earth, so I added some extra lamps to help illuminate it. These lamps dont come on until the same time the Halo appears, so it looks like the earth's halo actually brightens the text. I don't know it's kinda cheesy, but I like the result. Look closely at frame 300 vs. 400 and you'll see the difference in lighting that I'm talking about.

I guess the next step is another low-res video to make sure there's nothing blatant that needs fixing, but otherwise this intro may just be complete!
LL
LL
LL
post #184 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstang93 View Post

PM sent Mike.

Everyone has done awesome work with this intro. I was able to work with the Fox opening pretty easily, but this one has been giving me a lot of trouble. I want to learn blender because it seems like it can be a useful tool to have.

On it's way...

"You need people of intelligence on this mission. . . quest. . . thing."
post #185 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 11:50 AM

Anyone willing to help me branch this off with deep space nine replacing the earth and enterprise circling along with the text?
post #186 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zductive View Post

Anyone willing to help me branch this off with deep space nine replacing the earth and enterprise circling along with the text?

Well, replacing the stuff is easy, just insert the messhes where the other were and delete the old ones. the bigger problem, is that you will have to come up with a new lighting scheme as the star trek ships don't emit light. At some point, I'm going to attempt something like that, but I want to get my universal and fox logos done and rendered.

Adam

Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Wine?" Descartes says, "I think not," and disappears.
post #187 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

I just discovered that there optimized versions of blender that run faster for windows users with advanced CPUs. I'm installing now to see the speed difference.

http://graphicall.org

Select windows and then BF.

Adam

Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Wine?" Descartes says, "I think not," and disappears.
post #188 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atagert View Post

I just discovered that there optimized versions of blender that run faster for windows users with advanced CPUs. I'm installing now to see the speed difference.

http://graphicall.org

Select windows and then BF.

Adam

I can confirm that the render times feel like better than half of what they are with the official version.

Adam

post #189 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 02:41 PM

ND23,

Your blender file is on it's way.

Mike

"You need people of intelligence on this mission. . . quest. . . thing."
post #190 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:

bike potato
greighn
Sevker
mprusak
Stone Mason

Your blender files are done.

Thanks a mill Mike... it looks perfect!

I started the render a few minutes ago (that'll take some time). However, You saved me countless hours of setting this up myself in Blender.

I do want to understand how to do this myself eventually, but I am hardcore into finishing the theatre right now.

sm
post #191 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I can confirm that the render times feel like better than half of what they are with the official version.

Adam

Yes, it cuts my render time in half. For a 1280 x 720 render it went from 3 hours to 1.5 hours. For the .blend file that Mike sent me

Great find!!!

Update, it crashes when I try to render one frame of my fox style .blend file

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Finished Theater & Basement
post #192 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w84no1 View Post

Yes, it cuts my render time in half. For a 1280 x 720 render it went from 3 hours to 1.5 hours. For the .blend file that Mike sent me

Great find!!!

Update, it crashes when I try to render one frame of my fox style .blend file

Hmm, I am rendering the fox logo right now on my 2nd computer with the optimized blender. I think I may have figured out the flickering.

Adam

post #193 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all, I have finished my universal file. Here is the video of it. This video has feature presentation wrap around the earth and the theater name to fade in. Personally, this is what I prefer.

http://atagert.andrew.cmu.edu/videos...al_feature.wmv (4mb)

Fortunely, it is easy to edit this way.

blender file
http://atagert.andrew.cmu.edu/videos...ntation_wt.zip

To Edit
1. Right click on ATagert Theater PGH
2. press TAB
3. Change Text
4. press TAB
5. render.

you may have to assoicate the earth sphere with the map of the earth, to do that, Right click on the early, F6, then Load Image.

I have included a slightly edited map, that begins over India instead of the Pacific.

Remember, you can downloaded a version of blender that is optimized for your CPU. http://www.graphicall.org

I will post a file that can be used to edit the wrapping text soon. (maybe tomorrow).

Adam

post #194 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hmm, I am rendering the fox logo right now on my 2nd computer with the optimized blender. I think I may have figured out the flickering.

Adam

If you do get it render without the flicker can you post the .blend file? That is the only thing that I hate about my Fox intro.

post #195 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w84no1 View Post

If you do get it render without the flicker can you post the .blend file? That is the only thing that I hate about my Fox intro.

Sure, I'll make the post in the fox thread though if successful.

Adam

post #196 of 557 Old 01-26-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sure, I'll make the post in the fox thread though if successful.

Adam

Thanks!

post #197 of 557 Old 01-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I created the template file with instructions that will allow you to edit any of the text in the universal file.

http://atagert.andrew.cmu.edu/videos...l_template.zip

Hope all the instructions are clear. If anybody creates anything with, I'm interested in knowing about what you did.

The file is real a zip file and includes the blender file and the instructions in both word 97-2003 and word 2007 formats.

Adam

post #198 of 557 Old 01-28-2007, 06:40 AM

thanks for the files, but i have followed your guide but a cant seem to edit the text that comes around the globe,, i select it but it shows up as a mesh and not text.
post #199 of 557 Old 01-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

disguised coot, I confirmed what you are talking about just this morning. Atagert's file seems to have the text already converted to a mesh, however his modified version of my instructions treat it as if it were still plain text. Unfortunately He'll have to upload a .blend file with plain text in order for the instructions to work out.

Alternatively you could download my old .blend file (back on page 3 or so) and use my instructions, but you'll be lacking a number of visual enhancements that have happened since then. Off the top of my head I know it's missing the white on gold lettering, the halo is a poor looking hack job (though there's a second set of instructions for fixing that), and there are no clouds on the earth (though this can be easily added). There might be other things missing from that file as well, but if you're up for some experimenting it's not a bad place to start.
post #200 of 557 Old 01-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

oh, sorry about that. I guess I just uploaded the wrong file. I'll check into it.

Adam

post #201 of 557 Old 01-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Looks like you guys are making some good progress on the blender files. I apologize for the delay in getting back with everyone, I've been trying to wrap up this countdown project this past week.

A few of you expressed interest in having me render out some AVI's without the sound. For those that contacted me, are you still interested? After the progress being made with the blender files, I don't want to waste time rendering out stuff that can't be altered.

Please PM me if you're interested,

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff

post #202 of 557 Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

I fixed the file. For some reason, which I don't know I can't upload it, so I'm just going to attach it here, and later update the other one.

just_blender_universal.zip 125.552734375k . file

Instructions.doc 43k . file

post #203 of 557 Old 01-29-2007, 09:09 AM

Mike -

I got my file and rendered it this weekend. It looks great! Thank you, Thank you!!

Now, my questions...I did this before with the Fox style one, but can't remember how.

So, I have this huge 1.8 GB avi file (that my computer can not play smoothly).

How do I add the audio to this?
How do I convert this to a file the computer can play?
How do I convert this to a file I can play on a DVD player?

Thanks again...

Mark.
post #204 of 557 Old 01-29-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprusak View Post

Mike -

I got my file and rendered it this weekend. It looks great! Thank you, Thank you!!

Now, my questions...I did this before with the Fox style one, but can't remember how.

Thanks again...

Mark.

Try downloading VirtualDub. It is free, and can add the audio, plus compress the video.

Or for the Fox one, I used Studio from Pinnacle. (It came with my video card) It will allow you to make the video, add audio, and make a DVD.

I don't know, but Nero might take your final file and make a DVD for you.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #205 of 557 Old 01-29-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:

On it's way...

Thanks Mike. The animation looks awesome. Added the audio and now am just trying to convert it to a .vob file.
post #206 of 557 Old 01-29-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprusak View Post

Mike -

Thanks again...

Mark.

Load the big ponderous file into iMovie HD, edit (add sound, fade in/fade out, etc.) to your heart's content, and then export it as a H.264 compressed file. Everything you need comes free with your Mac.

Sorry... couldn't resist!

Mark

post #207 of 557 Old 01-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Load the big ponderous file into iMovie HD, edit (add sound, fade in/fade out, etc.) to your heart's content, and then export it as a H.264 compressed file. Everything you need comes free with your Mac.

Sorry... couldn't resist!

Mark

I think Windows Movie Maker does the same stuff.

post #208 of 557 Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I fixed the file. For some reason, which I don't know I can't upload it, so I'm just going to attach it here, and later update the other one.

Having problems!

I've used some earlier files, followed the instructions and made a couple of DVD's with decent results. With the latest file above I had several problems.

1. When I switch to "top view" (7) all text and the globe disappears.

2. After changing the text on the globe and centering, the 2 texts don't line up and the white text disappears when selected. " Backspace" only deletes part of the text ("delate" must be used for the remaining letters).

3. The lower fade in text renders "black".

4. When in "Animation" (Part 3 of the instructions), there does not appear to be any animation.

5. What do I select in the "World buttons" panel to select a new background sky?

One last Question: What sound file are you using?

I figured out how to correct some of these problems but could definitely use some help.

Thanks for all the hard work! Any help is appreciated.

Jawhn

If the Theater is a Rockin, don't come a Knocking!

post #209 of 557 Old 01-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't actually added any sound to mine. I'm not sure what I'm going to use. I was hoping to figure out how to encode it into 5 channels and thus do some fun effects with it, but I don't know how to do that yet.

1. As to the globe disappearing, I think you may just have to zoom out. To do that, it the - key on the number pad. You can scroll around the window by holding ctrl and pressing 8,6,4,2.

2. The reason you may have use backspace and delete, is that blender remembers where the cursor was when I last edited the file. Apprently, I had it somewhere in the middle.

2a. Let me see you're right, it does disappear when editing. I'm not sure why it does that. I have only been using blender this past week.

2b. To re lineup your text you can select it and then click on the object menu, and then on transform. You'll see the options move on axis and scale on axis. the x axis is left and right and z is up and down. Choose the local opion to make it simplier.

3. You'll want to make sure you render after frame 550. Before that point it is set to be transparent.

4. I am assuming that you are having a problem to get the text to move around the earth. My suggestions is to be looking straight down (7), then select the arm that comes out of the earth. Press r and as you move the mouse around it should swing the text around the earth.

I know lots of my answers include should, but I hope it is similar for you.

Answering questions are no problem in this, since I have a graps of what is going on in the file, since i have messed it up enough times. Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be checking the thread.

Adam

post #210 of 557 Old 01-30-2007, 09:22 AM

tried your new blender file, the text looks great but i still cant seem to get the text to swing around the earth, i have selected the armature and that does move with the mouse,, but does not turn with the globe
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page