Test drive theater seats in San Jose? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-18-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I did a quick search of the forum and didn't find any recommendations for a brick and mortor store where one can test drive theater seats in the SF South Bay.

I'll be needing some for the space I am working on.

I've tried places I thought might be good, like Magnolia. And places I figured would be bad (like Circuit City) and they were. I'm going to expand my search to furniture stores, starting with La-z-Boy, but would love to hear of places I should check out, where I can try several different seats.

For example, Coaster seems to be a popular value brand talked about here. Anyone recommend a place I can try one or more of their seats?

I am looking for home theater recliners, for the most part, like this:

though I am considering that the second row might be traditional commercial theater seats, like this:

As you can see, I'm a little space challenged:

So in addition to the usual issues (money & comfort), I need to pay attention to size. One final hoop: The lady of the house really likes to watch movies on a chaise-lounge or day bed, rather than a recliner, so a live of chairs that has that as an option (so far only La-Z-Boy seems to) would be a big selling point...........

But at this point, I just want to find a place with a selection I can test drive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-19-2007, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In addition to Coaster, I'd like to try out Berkline in person, since they seem to be quite popular around these parts, as well. I have found that they have a few local dealerships but these don't seem to have a large selection to try.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You might check out the Bellach's Leather Furniture in Santa Clara:

http://www.bellachs.com/locations.html

The Rocklin store has a separate section just for theater recliners with about a dozen different models.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally got to the local Bellachs. Sadly, while they had three models to try, only one of which might work for us, and the lowest prices was about 2.5k per chair. So the hunt is still on. Several places that carry Berkline furniture locally don't, it turns out, carry the theater seats. But I'm guessing that there must be someone in the area.

Any additional recommendations?
post #5 of 13 Old 12-04-2007, 10:08 PM

Liked: 10
Check these guys out.

http://www.sanjosefurniture.com/

They deal in 4 or 5 furniture brands. Don't stock much. Mostly catalog. But good prices! Might negotiate, more so if paying cash!
post #6 of 13 Old 07-28-2008, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the additional suggestion. Not a bad place but I'm really eager to be able to sit in something before purchase. This is particularly important for the wifey, with some fused discs in her back.

It's almost funny but maybe actually a little sad that no one sells these things in person, which the exception of the highest end stuff. We may end up with a conventional couch (+ some generous ottomans for the front row) instead of "theater seats".

Certainly the row 2 couch we have now is quite popular with those that like to stretch out. But the individual seats we have in the front row are far from ideal. (Photos in my theater thread at the end.)
post #7 of 13 Old 07-30-2008, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Too bad money is a bit tight, otherwise the Berkerline 088 would fit your nicely. Not sure about your room dimension, but pretty sure you might be able to do 3 in the front and 4 (2 seats and sofa in middle). On the cheaper side, Coaster studio are nice. I have 2 set of the Studio clone in my 11x16 room and they are so comfortable.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If I could try (and measure) the Berklines, I might find they work well.

My concern is

1. to make sure they are supportive in the right places (each person's body is different, so this is something the wife has to try in person) and
2. to see if the 5 ft deep riser can handle them (all the recommendations are for a 6 ft deep riser)

I think on both counts they would be workable BUT can't confirm that without seeing them in person.

For budget, I'd love to hit $1k per row. But would live with c.$500/seat. These numbers should work for discounted brands.

My fallback is to get two matching couches and some large ottomans for the front row. Who knows, maybe that would be more comfortable, anyway.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 AM

Liked: 13
It's been a few years since I lived there, but Anderson's on Stevens Creek & Lawrence used to have Berklines in one of their demo rooms.

--Dan
post #10 of 13 Old 07-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
the anderson's in Concord has a good selection of chairs

XBL: BigMikeRich
PSN: BigMikeRich
post #11 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 02:09 PM

you should check the asian shops... their prices are a lot lower, they probably source from the same places as the retail stores, and you can haggle. i'm talking about sectionals, btw. im not sure if they do theater seats. you could probably get a real nice sectional, customized to the size you want, material you want, and colors for about 1k. i got a custom sectional delivered for about $920. the quality is great. i purchased in sf, but my buddy from fremont got a relatively similar deal on his sectional in sj.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, some of those family owned (I think?) shops seem to pull from catalog suppliers that DO have some theater seats.... but none of them carry them in store, to try out. In terms of sectionals, you may be on to something. When I last did the round of all those shops (there are many along Monterey and Stevens Creek) I was so focussed on ONLY theater seats that I ignored the sectionals.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Actually, some of those family owned (I think?) shops seem to pull from catalog suppliers that DO have some theater seats.... but none of them carry them in store, to try out. In terms of sectionals, you may be on to something. When I last did the round of all those shops (there are many along Monterey and Stevens Creek) I was so focussed on ONLY theater seats that I ignored the sectionals.

yeah they have some nice sectionals...you can customize pretty much everything depending on the supplier...where the chaise goes, the dimensions, the material (leather or microfiber or both), the color (can go 2-toned), the softness/firmness of the cushions, the exact dimensions down to the cm, etc. i've ordered 2 and both took less than a week to build/deliver. definitely don't overlook the mom & pop shops. the cool thing is theyre usually so eager to make a sale, if they think you're genuinely interested they'll lower their asking price by a relatively significant amount.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page