So I was fooling with this and read the threads on making it work and came up with my own solution since I do a lot of work in AE. The trick is to separate the lower half from the upper half so you canoverlay the text you want.
Time remapping works ok, but I still had some issues, so I came up with this work around, it involes creating another layer and using a mask in AE.
1. Download the project w84no1 has on his site.
2. I used this HD version of the Disney intro
3. Unzip and UnRAR the files. Make the edits in the PSD file you want.
4. Open the AE project.
5. Double click on the 'missing' Disney file. Locate the HDintro you downloaded in step 2.
Now, make SURE you have set the composition preview for After Effects to something like quarter or third. If you have it set to full, you're going to be sitting there for a while while the frame renders.
6. Once you have the new Disney intro in your project, you want to click it and drag it to the "Create a New Composition" icon at the bottom of your 'Project' tab. This will create a new compostion that you can make edits to.
7.You will now have a new composition open on your workspace. You want to move the time indicator out to around 25 seconds.
8. Use your PEN tool and click just above the upper left corner of the video space, in the black area above the video.
9. Click again at the left horizon line.
10. Click again at the right horizon line.
12. Click up just above the upper right corner of the video area, in the black area above the video.
13. Lastly, click on the upper left spot againto 'close' the mask. You'll now see that everything outside this area is now 'black'... for intents and purposes, this area is actually gone.
14. Go back to the sequence 01 composition. In the project area,find the newest disney composition and drag it into the sequence 01 composition and place it ABOVE the Time Remapped layer.
15. The next part is a little tricky, but it was by experimenting that I figure what worked for me. If you are using After Effects CS3 or CS4 and the files mentioned above, these settings should work for you.
Shorten layer 3 to 24 secs 21 frames
Move the time Remapped layer to the same 24 seconds 21 frames
Put your time marker on that exact frame. Expand the time remap layer so you can see the keyframe for the time remap. Double click that keyframe and change the time value to 24 seconds.
Next, save the project and render out to your own settings. The beauty of this method (and I'll admit I didn't try to render out the others ones after reading some people were having trouble with the sparkle trail stopping.... using a mask allows the upper portion to keep going while the lower portion can be time mapped more easily.
A hint in AE, when moving parts around, as well as the time cursor hit CAPS LOCK and that will shut OFF the composition window refresh until you get the cursor right where you want it. Hit CAPS LOCK again and it will render whe frame the cursor is on.
I rendered this file on my quad processor box in about 20 minutes at full HD.
I also added a reflection in the water for the PSD layer, so the text reflects.
I'll render it and post a version up to YouTube. I can also make the AE project available to anyone if they want it.
There is probably an easier way to do this in AE, but this is what I came up with.
Next, I might put this into 3D space and animate a camera that moves past the text in the foreground, skimming the 'water' and moving towards the castle.
Not sure if people can PM me here, or if I need to leave my email address.