Blender Projects and Studio Themed Intros - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 925 Old 07-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the tips, I will try to get a chance tonight to update my render and see what happens... internet is down at home so I will have to print the instructions out and try again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 925 Old 07-23-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenW View Post

w8... Thanks for trying it. I installed the XVID codec saturday, and now at least I get a something on screen, but it isn't exactly watchable. I'll give the k-lite codec pack a try...

Here is exacly how i got mine to work.

1. install k-lite codec mega pack
2. render as raw avi
3. use Virtualdub to encode as Divx 6 and add the sound.

You can use whatever video encoding software you like, I just am very familar with virtualdub.

The easiest way to get it to work is to use Windows Movie Maker and add the sound, but then it is WMV instead of AVI.
post #153 of 925 Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w84no1 View Post

Here is exacly how i got mine to work.

1. install k-lite codec mega pack
2. render as raw avi
3. use Virtualdub to encode as Divx 6 and add the sound.

You can use whatever video encoding software you like, I just am very familar with virtualdub.

The easiest way to get it to work is to use Windows Movie Maker and add the sound, but then it is WMV instead of AVI.

w8... Thanks! The codec pack did the trick.

tpag2000: Nice intro!! Well done...

DenW
"The Black Hole" HT (and other stuff..): http://www.denonline.nl
post #154 of 925 Old 07-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
What format settings are you guys rendering these in to get the best 16:9 quality. I understand I need the final resolution to be 1280x720 or 1920x1080, but what about all the other format settings such as aspX and aspY.

Are you guys just picking a preset on the right hand side such as NTSC or PAL 16:9, then modifying the resolution?

Ronnie
post #155 of 925 Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

aspX and aspY I've always left at 1:1. I'm not sure at all what they do, but that always seemed to work for me.

Speaking of settings in Blender, I have my own question, along with some observations, regarding how quickly you can make it render. First the question: I have a new dual core machine and Blender will only use "50%" of the total CPU, usually about 75% of 1 core and 25% of the other, totaling up to a complete single core. It will never go over this amount, so I feel like I'm wasting available horsepower. Does anyone know if there's a way to correct this or is this fairly normal? I know that if there aren't threads available theres nothing the extra processor can do, but I thought rendering engines were one of the programs out there that were heavily multithreaded...?

Now for the observations. I did a lot of playing with the render settings and also using one of the optimized Blender builds linked to in this post or the Universal post and got some interesting results.

1.) Using stock Blender form blender.org the test frames that I was rendering took 3.9 seconds each on my 1.8GHz C2D.
2.) Using the optimized Blender build the same frames took 2.5 seconds each, or almost a 36% reduction in time.
3.) Then I fiddled with the Xparts and Yparts settings (default 4 and 4) thinking maybe by making more pieces it would make more threads and use my processor more. This was entirely backwards and in fact the less pieces the faster it rendered. The best I got was at Xparts = 2, and Yparts = 1 where the render time came down to 1.8 seconds per frame, or another 28% reduction.
4.) Finally I decided to overclock the processor to see what effect that would have, and jacked it up to 2.8 GHz. This is a 55.5% overclock, and further reduced rendering time to 1.25 seconds, for another reduction of 30.5%. I was surprised that it wasn't closer to a 1:1 linear reduction when overclocking, but still it wasn't bad.

Anyway, to sum all of this up, the total render time went from 3.9 seconds per frame to 1.25 seconds after all this, for an overall reduction of 68%. You can't complain much about reducing your render times to under half before overclocking, and down below 1/3 with a moderate overclock. In the end though, none of this helped me solve the "50% CPU usage" problem, so if anyone can find a way to improve that for me I'd be particularly grateful.

Thanks much, and I hope my ramblings didn't get out of hand.
post #156 of 925 Old 07-23-2007, 09:29 PM

I'm also setting AspX and AspY to 1. Seems like the safest value.

About CPU usage: i'm using a dual core laptop for rendering with Blender and I had almost the same problem. The THREADS setting in Blender (the rendering menu) allows you to set how many threads Blender will use for this. Play a little with this value, when I set it to something other than 1 my second CPU is participating in the rendering.
The great thing about Blender is that even though CPU is at 100% (both cores) you can still do other stuff on your computer.

When I rendered the Fox intro a while back i used the intel optimized version of Blender, which dramatically reduced render time. It still took a couple of days, mind you...

DenW
post #157 of 925 Old 07-24-2007, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

DenW,
First of all thank you for the tip, but I'm curious what version of Blender are you using? I've looked and looked for a way to change the number of threads in Blender but have not been able to find it in 2.42a. Because you said it's there i scoured and scoured some more this morning, and did eventually find a button in the output panel called "threads" that on mouseover says "Enable/Disable render in 2 threads". I don't have time to experiment right now, but that button sounds like it will solve my problem by creating a 2nd thread.

I would still like to know about this threads setting that you mentioned however, so that I could play with it and try settings other than 1 or 2. I do plan on upgrading to a quad-core in the future, but ONLY if Blender is compatible with rendering in 4 threads, which simply by using the button I found I'd guess my version isn't.

Anyways, thanks again for the help. Maybe I'll re-download one of the optimized versions of Blender and see if it had the menu you're talking about. I'd really like to see what kind of render savings I could get out of a moderately overclocked CPU w/ an optimized Blender build and set to run in multithreaded mode.
post #158 of 925 Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 AM

Magius,

Yes, I meant to change that in my post, but didn't have time. The THREADS option is in the Output panel. Maybe this thread is of use to you:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

I'm using V2.43 I think, but not sure (at work now). I'm curious about the rendering times you mentioned: I started a new rendering of the Universal intro this morning but render times are about 24 seconds per frame. The 4 second render time, is that with the Disney intro?

Update: This morning I did a test render of the Universal intro, about 80 frames. I could play that without a problem with Media Player. The final full length rendering (700 frames) is over 4GB (1080p), same codec settings, but now Media Player says the file is corrupt...
Is this just a problem of file size or am I missing something else completely?

DenW
post #159 of 925 Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 PM

I have similar problems rendering in high def. An easy solution is to render 0 to 350, and then 351 to 700. The 2 files patch together seemlessly in a video editor when you add the audio.

"You need people of intelligence on this mission. . . quest. . . thing."
post #160 of 925 Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 PM

BTW DenW, thanks for hosting these files. Here's the audio that goes with the Universal intro...

http://www.reelclassics.com/Audio_Vi...oderntheme.mp3

"You need people of intelligence on this mission. . . quest. . . thing."
post #161 of 925 Old 07-24-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

DenW,
Apparently the option that you're talking about is a simple pushbutton in v2.42a but can bet set to a value from 1 to 8 in 2.44. In any case, this is the solution that I was looking for so thank you very much for pointing it out.

Also, because you asked about the testing I had done, and I couldn't remember what the file was that I was rendering, I decided to redo the tests with the Disney animation. I set the resolution to 1920x1080 to make the machine work harder and animated just the first couple of frames to see how long it took.

Using the standard Blender distribution from Blender.org v2.42a:
Threads....Xparts....Yparts....Seconds....Improvement
Off............4............4............16.16
Off............2............1............15.24.........5.7%
On............2............1..............8.19.........46.3%

Using a CVS optimized distribution of Blender 2.44:
Threads....Xparts....Yparts....Seconds....Improvement
1...............4............4............9.52..........41.1 %
1...............2............1............8.71..........8.5%
2...............2............1............4.83..........44.5 %

For the record, to animate the first frame of the Universal animation in 1280x720 res w/ threads enabled, Xparts and Yparts = 4, in the CVS optimized Blender takes me 17.28 seconds on my 1.8 GHz C2D. I'm curious to run the overclocking test again but looking at this data and the expected payoff I'm thinking it's not worth it.

So in conclusion:
1.) Enabling 2 threads will cut your render time roughly in half on a dual core machine. This one should have been obvious, and no before anyone asks Hyper Threading is not dual core
2.) Using an appropriate "optimized" Blender distribution should also cut your render time by as much as half, probably even without a dual core machine?
3.) Doing both of the above should cut your render time down to about 30% of what it used to be.
4.) Setting more threads than you have cores is useless, even if you set the appropriate number of Xparts and Yparts.
5.) As a word of warning, Xparts and Yparts need to be set based on what you're rendering. On a nice symmetrical animation like Disney where both cores will be fed basically identical data, 2 parts works. Where stuff is not symmetrical you'll want to break it up to let the cores balance easy pieces and hard pieces so that one doesn't finish long before the other and stall. This can be seen easily on the Universal animation when using less parts greatly increases the render times.

Anyways that's all I have for now. Thanks again DenW for the help in finding the thread option, it certainly makes a difference!
post #162 of 925 Old 07-24-2007, 09:32 PM

Sorry for this somewhat obvious question, but I've now customized and rendered the Disney intro and everything looks great. Just wanted to make sure Magius that indeed I'm not supposed to be seeing any signs of Tinkerbell. I know she was in an early attempt so I just had to make sure.

Thanks for all of your help thusfar!

-Ben
post #163 of 925 Old 07-25-2007, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

g1976b,
That was not my animation that had Tinkerbell in it, well actually it was but... ok starting over: I released Disney's older 2D logo quite some time ago, and one of the custom versions that somebody made included an image of Tinkerbell floating around the screen.

My animations try to look as close to the originals as possible with only the text being modified. For this reason there is no actual Tinkerbell in either of my animations (2D or 3D) but of course she is implied by the fairy dust falling from the arch as it appears.

An overcomplicated answer to a rather simple question, but the short answer is that there's no Tinkerbell
post #164 of 925 Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 AM

MikeFalz,

That is indeed the obvious solution. Why didn't I think of that?
Thanks for pointing that out.

Magius,

You're very welcome. Thank YOU for making the Disney intro. I haven't had a chance to edit and render it, but I will do that soon...

DenW
post #165 of 925 Old 07-26-2007, 11:06 PM

When ever I change the position (g) and scale of the text (s) and select render current frame the text always goes back to the original location and scale - I am obviously doing something wrong can anyone help? Steve
post #166 of 925 Old 07-27-2007, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Theendisnye,
The reason for this is that there are already keyframes set telling the text where to be, and unless you overwrite the keyframe it won't show your changes.

The instructions are back on the last page, but the key you're looking for is "i" for insert, and then choose "pos" for position keyframe. The WaltDisney text has a keyframe on frame 187 and the pictures text is on 225. Make sure you do your scaling and such on these respective frames, and when it looks like it's in a good place overwrite the keyframe and do a test render. Repeat until you like the way the test render comes out.

Hope that helps!
post #167 of 925 Old 07-28-2007, 04:40 AM

Wow Magius, that was incredibly easy to use, thanks. My only issue is finding a program that will convert to an mpeg format and keep the resolution, that way I can import it on my PS3. So far I can use it as a mpg1 with low res.

Anyways, thanks again!
post #168 of 925 Old 07-28-2007, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm not sure about the mpeg issue, I only use .avi myself. Back in the day I used to use a program called tMPEGenc or something like that to encode mpegs. I forget exactly why I had to use it (we're talking 8 or 9 years ago) but I would use it before running a file through virtualdub if vdub couldn't open the original file or something...?

Anyways, maybe that program is still around, or otherwise I'm sure there are better options nowadays that someone will suggest. In any case thanks for the compliment and I'm glad you enjoyed the intro!
post #169 of 925 Old 08-02-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd love to see one of you artistic/clever folks pull together a candy/popcorn/silence cell phone trailer. Thats one area that seems to be lacking for a cool custom theatre intro.

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #170 of 925 Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 AM

Mark,

That's a great idea. Several short video's come to mind:

- No Talking
- No Bag-O-Chips Noises
- No Cell Phones
- No Kicking Seats
- No Farting

DenW
post #171 of 925 Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magius View Post

By the way, I whipped up an extremely simplistic version of the Touchstone Pictures logo this morning if anyone is interested. The text is fully editable, so this is easier than pie to customize. I'll admit it's nothing spectacular, but for about an hour's work I figured maybe someone would find it interesting. The halo definitely needs some work when the lightning bolt appears, but again that's a very simple thing for interested parties to play with.

Funny enough, this animation uses the "cheat" I described above, so at the end when the lighting bolt appears I simply cover up the plain blue sphere with a plane textured with the lightning bolt logo. It's nothing fancy, but it works.

I've uploaded two low res sample videos of this animation, one showing custom text and the other with the familiar "touchstone" text. The .blend file is also in the package, as is the lightning bolt texture that I used to cover the plane if anyone wants to play with this.

I took your touchstone project and added a better logo. I will upload it when I get home tonight. It has been a while since I have seen this intro in an actual film, does it have sound?

I would like to see a Lions Gate type intro, wish I had the skills to do it.
post #172 of 925 Old 08-02-2007, 02:26 PM

Liked: 12
I am new to the Forum and just came across this thread. I downloaded the Disney blend, however I do not see the fairy dust when I play back the animation rendered at 100 x 150 to see what it looks like.

Thanks to you and the guys for the great work.
post #173 of 925 Old 08-02-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Welcome to the forums loma! Hopefully you'll find all kinds of good information around here.

As much as what you claimed about rendering in low res didn't make sense, I just confirmed it and there is in fact no pixie dust at 150x100 resolution. Hey, at least you know it's not a problem on your end . My guess is that there just aren't enough pixels available so they got cut during the scaling process, but what do I know.

Anyway, render it in higher res and I promise you'll see the dust. Before I bought my new computer I used to use 400x225 for my test renders and never noticed this kind of problem.
post #174 of 925 Old 08-02-2007, 06:21 PM

Thanks. Will use 400x225 and check it out.
post #175 of 925 Old 08-02-2007, 06:47 PM

Tried 400x225 and all is well. Thanks again.
post #176 of 925 Old 08-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone tried to do the "NEW" Disney intro? I'm sure it's 1000% more complicated because it's a fly over of the castle with trees, lights, etc... but it still has the pixie dust and "WaltDisney" like our current intro.

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
post #177 of 925 Old 08-03-2007, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

rgroves,
I did an old school Disney logo that you may have found on VHS tapes, and now this 3D one. I never planned to attempt this 3D one as I thought it would be well beyond my abilities, but with the right tricks and cheats I managed to fake it pretty well. As an example my castle is hand build out of only cubes, cones, and cylinders because I don't know how to make any other shapes. As another example if you go to top view you'll notice that some pieces of my castle aren't even connected to each other, but from the camera's view the perspective seems correct so that's all that matters.

To make a long story short, the newest 3D Disney logo is so far beyond my abilities it's not even funny. It'd be great if we had a true Blender expert to tackle some of the requests that keep coming up, like Lionsgate studios, but unfortunately most of us are just beginners ourselves.
post #178 of 925 Old 08-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Magius - That's what I figured...most of us are blender noobs !! LOL. I don't even know enough to be dangerous in blender.

I did manage to figure out how to make the FOX intro look like the one that was made for "The Black Hole" with Welcome To the on the top line, but that's the extent of my tinkering.

I really appreciate all the work everyone has put into these intros. My wife thinks I'm crazy and just rolls her eyes every time I show here what I've done.

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
post #179 of 925 Old 08-26-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone else have a problem with the Disney project? When it is rendering, it does a first pass, and it looks clear, then it appears to do a second pass, and that pass is a little different lined up, but it looks clear too, then it seems the 2 images are combined into one picture. The one picture is then blurry.
I have attached what the picture looks like for slide 75.
I am using blender 2.42a.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead
Chiahead's Man Cave - Indexed
Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #180 of 925 Old 08-27-2007, 02:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

Did anyone else have a problem with the Disney project? When it is rendering, it does a first pass, and it looks clear, then it appears to do a second pass, and that pass is a little different lined up, but it looks clear too, then it seems the 2 images are combined into one picture. The one picture is then blurry.
I have attached what the picture looks like for slide 75.
I am using blender 2.42a.

No, not me....but I think I'm using Version 2.43a.
-t
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page