AVS Forum banner

Finished Marquee

149K views 487 replies 162 participants last post by  CCLAY 
#1 ·
I really wanted a small format Marquee since I really didn't have the room or money for the large monsters you see around the web/ebay. So I created my own as many here have. I like that it came out thinner than most I have seen as well. Thanks for everyone's input on the project. Having a printer that can do 13"x44" prints is obviously key. If anyone is interested in a similar project shoot me a PM. I can help you out with any portion of the project from just the custom graphics to a completed one if you like.

The Marquee measures 9-3/4" x 20-3/4" x 1-3/8". So it easily fits on a couter top or hung on the wall for us with smaller theaters. The real life pictures are a bit off on color balance. The spotlights for example are true grey and not the magenta they look in the pics.

It really came out well. The movie title text is inkjet on transparency film tucked into the frame of the marquee. It so far has given the best results versus trying to get a full track for the letters or clamps, etc. The frame is a shadowbox and the lighting is from 12' of rope light.

See less See more
#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by volley /forum/post/0

It really came out well. The movie title text is inkjet on transparency film tucked into the frame of the marquee. It so far has given the best results versus trying to get a full track for the letters or clamps, etc. The frame is a shadowbox and the lighting is from 12' of rope light.

Do you have a thread describing your project. I have thought of building something very very similar to this and would love to see your steps and what materials you used.

#10 ·
Volley

That looks fabulous ! Johnathan

#12 ·
Nice work! Makes me want to update the signs in my theater. I have a non back lit marquee now that could use some updating.

What film did you use to print the main image on? Was it a full transparent? How are you getting the white behind the letters?

#13 ·
Thanks to all for the nice comments...

Here is a walk thru...I will try to add pics tonight...

I did a 9x20 shadowbox from Michael's. 50% off right now so I got it for $10. Lowes 12' light rope for $12.94.

The biggest thing is the print and the graphic. I print mine on Epson Premium Photo Paper - Glossy. I did this for my arcades I used to build. Really creates a great image. Much better than transparency film or anything else for my printer at least. My printer can do 13"x44" roll paper. Not too many people have this. Ping me if you need something printed.

The graphic I did in Photoshop and Illustrator CS2. Again ping me if you want me to help with the graphic. But if you have these, I can forward you the files and you can alter them. But they are 45MB worth of files. Don't have a way right now to distribute other than paypal me and I will burn a CD and change the name for you. Will print you a 9x20 copy as well if you like. Unfortunately this all does cost some significant $ to do. I am also interested in doing complete custom marquees if you have something in mind but don't have the time/tools to do so.

Basically just take the back of the shadowbox and hotglue some aluminum foil on the back for extra reflection. Take your 12' of light rope and hotglue that to the aluminum foil in a spiral shape. I used a 7/8" drill bit and drill through the side to allow the connection to be made to the light rope. This is done so that you can separate the box from the cord pretty easily.

Once you have that you can take a piece of crackle acrylic (like what goes in front of fluorescent lights) from Loews and cut to size. This will help diffuse the light some but is very optional and it will keep your print nice and straight. Then the print. Then the glass. Put it all together and you are pretty much done.

Like I said, I am using transparency film from 3M that can go through an inkjet to do the lettering on the film titles and times. This just gets cut so that I can put it in between the glass and the frame. I don't do the individual letters, I just do complete film titles and then did separate times and ratings. The transparency film is cheap enouh that I don't care about having to continually reprint.

Hope this helps. Like I said, ping me if you need help with the graphics or the prints. Getting the print is the biggest thing. You cannot do this well with taping multiple 8.5x11 sheets together, it just never worked well for me.

#15 ·
Some good news. While I cannot e-mail the orignal project files since they are 45MB, a finished jpeg that should be useable will fit in an e-mail. If you want, I can customize an image for whomever would like one and send out the e-mail with a jpeg attached. All I ask is that you consider a donation for the work. A buck or two is plenty. Paypal is schuetter@fuse.net . Thanks to all showing an interest!

#16 ·
Volley, thanks for the walk thru and supply list. This is going to be a great weekend project.

Nice job!!!

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by volley /forum/post/0

Some good news. While I cannot e-mail the orignal project files since they are 45MB, a finished jpeg that should be useable will fit in an e-mail. If you want, I can customize an image for whomever would like one and send out the e-mail with a jpeg attached. All I ask is that you consider a donation for the work. A buck or two is plenty. Paypal is schuetter@fuse.net . Thanks to all showing an interest!

volley, if you want to send files that are large in size, you can go to yousendit.com and send files up to 100 mb in size. I have used the site to share custom preshow slides and preshow movies with great success.

What would you ask for a donation for a mylar just like the one you show above but with my theater name instead? You can pm me if you want to discuss it further. I can make the light box with help from your directions, but I have no way of printing the mylar. Thanks for all your help.

#18 ·
Sweet looking marque...changed my b-day wish list to Micheals and Lowes gift cards now...in-laws will think I am crazy!!!!!...Very cool Volley

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan /forum/post/0

volley, if you want to send files that are large in size, you can go to yousendit.com and send files up to 100 mb in size. I have used the site to share custom preshow slides and preshow movies with great success.

What would you ask for a donation for a mylar just like the one you show above but with my theater name instead? You can pm me if you want to discuss it further. I can make the light box with help from your directions, but I have no way of printing the mylar. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for the info on sending out the files. I will try that later today. Actually came down with a stomach bug last night but am feeling much better now.

As far as the prints, I believe I calculated my cost accurately at $0.34/linear inch. So the 20" prints should be $6.81. I live in a 45103 area code, so we would have to calculate shipping. But that is all I look to get. Any additional donations are welcome.

#22 ·
Looks great Volley, are you taking orders yet? Let me know if you are, I'll purchase one from you...

#25 ·
Hi Volley:

First let me say if your still looking to host your file, let me know I have 500g of space on my site and will host it for you. PM me if your interested.

Second I wanted to say after reviewing this post yesterday I was very impressed with Volley's project and the pictures of the finished marquee sign.

Using Volley's instructions I went right home and built one of my own last night. The soffit I have above my theater door is only about 12" in height so I had to make a sign that was a bit narrower then I would have liked but worked out pretty well since I wasnt forced in to using my over sized printer (which is pretty old at this point) in order to make the print.

About the project itself

Materials:

1 - 9" x 20" shadow box from Michaels $20 ( not on sale )

1 cheap glue gun and glue sticks from Michaels $4

1 12' rope light from Lowes $12

1 small piece of plexiglass from Lowes $4.50

1 pack of 13" x 19" Glossy Photo Paper $15

Total : $55.50

I didnt do it like Volley's where it has a placeholder to keep putting up current movie names which made it even easier for my project.

The picture I used for the project, I ripped from one of the Marquee places and just cut out the name and replaced it with my own. I sort of rushed through this just because I wanted to get it done last night but will spend some more time now and make and enhance some different prints for it.

Since I did use a narrow shadow box I was able to use a regular size printer. I took the 13"x19" sheets of glossy paper and cut it so the width was 8.5" which then fit into the printer nicely. Resized and edited the photo in Photoshop. In the printer properties I adjusted the selection to print for my re-designed sheet size.

Putting it together was fairly easy and fast. I cut the hole for the cord and lined the back board with foil and then glued the cord to the backing. Not sure if the glue is the best way to go, the lights when heated may soften the glue, I may have to add a couple of fasteners in the future to it but the finally assembly seemed pretty snug.

I couldnt find the acrylic in Lowes that Volley used so I picked up some thin scrap peices of plexiglass but I winded up not even using that, just taped the picture right in place on the glass of the shadow box.

The picture was slightly smaller on the sides then the dimensions of the shadow box glass but that winded up looking intentional. It left a nice small border of light all around the picture that looks great.

So cheap, easy and fast I would definetly recommend for others to give it a try before spending $200 to purchase one.

The final results does not look like a cheap DIY project it looks very professional, my wife actual thought I purchased it when she saw it and was surprised when I told her I built it. I think that in itself adds to the sign, knowing I built it rather then just purchasing one online.

Thanks to Volley for the idea and instructions

Reactions: dabsabre
#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT /forum/post/0

The final results does not look like a cheap DIY project it looks very professional, my wife actual thought I purchased it when she saw it and was surprised when I told her I built it. I think that in itself adds to the sign, knowing I built it rather then just purchasing one online.

Thanks to Volley for the idea and instructions

Yes, Thanks, Volley, for the great idea and sharing of it and your files.

Tom: Pictures?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.