LED rope light - help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-13-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to buy some LED rope light for my game room, which I will line the ceiling with. Any suggestions on where to get it? Also, is there a module or something you can buy that will allow the lights to pulsate to the beat of music in the room? Thanks

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 PM

Try these:
http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/K8017
http://zedomax.com/blog/2006/11/30/z...istmas-lights/
http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/11/29/...istmas-lights/

LathanM - Who brought the popcorn?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-14-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On this module, what are the low, mid, and high channels for? Also, what kind of plugs are on the back of it? Do you just plug this thing into the wall and then the rope light electrical plugs into this? will it ft american plugs?

post #4 of 22 Old 03-14-2007, 09:20 AM

I bought my LED rope lighting at Costco for about $30 for 30ft. It may have been seasonal but I haven't seen anything lower priced.

Grant

post #5 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 08:10 AM

Nice to meet you .
You are welcome to order from us ,the led rope light in cost USD 13.5 for 30ft.my msn

StarLink lighting Co.ltd
Deal in led rope light .led string light ,led cherry tree light,led bulb.so on christmas light
Add:ZhongShan City,GuangDong,China

post #6 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 AM

nice to meet you ,

StarLink lighting Co.ltd
Deal in led rope light .led string light ,led cherry tree light,led bulb.so on christmas light

post #7 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 08:49 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice to meet you .
You are welcome to order from us ,the led rope light in cost USD 13.5 for 30ft.my msn

StarLink lighting Co.ltd

post #8 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok I got the actual lighting part figured out. Honestlink I will definitely look into your website.

Now I just need some help finding a module that I can hook the lights up to so they will pulsate to the beat of whatever sound is in the room....can anyone help?????

post #9 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 05:31 PM

Hello Rocko
Did you buy the channel which is for fitting the led rope light .you can check with the store which you bought from.

StarLink lighting Co.ltd

post #10 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko1290 View Post

On this module, what are the low, mid, and high channels for? Also, what kind of plugs are on the back of it? Do you just plug this thing into the wall and then the rope light electrical plugs into this? will it ft american plugs?

Says you have to add your own plug and switch the volts to your country. I believe the 'channels' are for bass, mid and treble. I used to own a 'color organ' (that's what we used to call them) and that's how mine worked. You could hook three strings of lights (I used 7w xmas bulb strings to a max of 200 watts/channel. Each 'channel' (string of lights) responds to different frequencies like a spectrum analyzer on steroids.

This is just one of a bunch of different light control systems that seem to be holdovers from the disco era. I used to own a device that hooked up to the television and made a somewhat lame attempt at what the visualizers on Itunes and Winamp do. I don't remember what brand it was, but it was about 1979 or so when I had it.

Enjoy.

This ain't no upwardly mobile freeway, this is the road to hell.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-16-2007, 01:15 PM

not to hijack but does anyone know how to tell which rope lights can be dimmed and which cannot??
post #12 of 22 Old 03-16-2007, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimes View Post

Says you have to add your own plug and switch the volts to your country. I believe the 'channels' are for bass, mid and treble. I used to own a 'color organ' (that's what we used to call them) and that's how mine worked. You could hook three strings of lights (I used 7w xmas bulb strings to a max of 200 watts/channel. Each 'channel' (string of lights) responds to different frequencies like a spectrum analyzer on steroids.

This is just one of a bunch of different light control systems that seem to be holdovers from the disco era. I used to own a device that hooked up to the television and made a somewhat lame attempt at what the visualizers on Itunes and Winamp do. I don't remember what brand it was, but it was about 1979 or so when I had it.

Enjoy.

so how do you hook the rope lights up to that "color organ"?

post #13 of 22 Old 03-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

They plugged in using the same type of power plug (110v) found on every other electrical appliance.

Enjoy.

post #14 of 22 Old 03-17-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:

I want to buy some LED rope light for my game room, which I will line the ceiling with. Any suggestions on where to get it? Also, is there a module or something you can buy that will allow the lights to pulsate to the beat of music in the room? Thanks

I plan on buying my rope light from 1000bulbs, which a lot of people recommend on the forum:

http://www.1000bulbs.com/category.php?category=7
post #15 of 22 Old 03-26-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok--I am going to run just 1 string of standard 120v rope light....I want to buy a device that will hook up to the rope light and allow it to pulsate to the beat of the sound in the room....I am not interested in having 3 separare channels on the device (for high, med, and low frequencies). Just one single channel....reccomendations?

post #16 of 22 Old 03-26-2007, 08:40 PM

Cheapest around is at Walmart..skip the normal lighting area go to the camping section you can get 40 feet for $15!!! its called caping rope light??? Same exact stuff just way cheaper!!!
post #17 of 22 Old 03-28-2007, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok--I am going to run just 1 string of standard 120v rope light....I want to buy a device that will hook up to the rope light and allow it to pulsate to the beat of the sound in the room....I am not interested in having 3 separare channels on the device (for high, med, and low frequencies). Just one single channel....reccomendations?

Your best bet is just to use the three channel color organ and only utilize one channel. I do not know of (doesn't mean there aren't any) any single channel color organs. If you want the lights to dance with the beat you'd use the low frequency channel.

Enjoy.

post #18 of 22 Old 03-28-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
If anyone still needs rope light, I've got an extra 90 feet of clear that I'm not using and would be happy to part with. It comes on a spool, and I think I have a couple extra plugs and connectors as well. It can be cut every 3 feet. I also have two 30-ft sections with plugs already installed, if anyone is interested. I ended up overbuying and would love to help out a fellow AVS'r.

Visit the

2.0 done and finally posted! - 

And now...
post #19 of 22 Old 03-28-2007, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimes View Post

Your best bet is just to use the three channel color organ and only utilize one channel. I do not know of (doesn't mean there aren't any) any single channel color organs. If you want the lights to dance with the beat you'd use the low frequency channel.

Enjoy.

So where can I get one from and how much can I expect to pay?

post #20 of 22 Old 03-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So where can I get one from and how much can I expect to pay?

I assumed you could easily purchase one of these since there is a link to a kit already earlier in the thread. It's the one I thought we were talking about all along. The one you have to add the 110 volt outlets. In an attempt to clarify for you I have reread the thread and done some googling. What I found is that my memory of these during the 1970's was spot on. Unfortunately, while they were easily commercially available (Radio Shack e.g.) back then, their popularity has waned in the post disco era. Disco never died for me, but that's another, more troubling story.

So what happened? Very few individuals ever bought these devices. They were sold to dance clubs. I'm guessing the dance clubs now are featuring large plasma displays or front projection technology and lasers because no commercial preassembled color organs jumped immediately to my attention on google, but there were MILLIONS of hits. MANY MANY MANY kits and naked circuit designs exist for both incandescent and led light color organs. If you are enough of an electronics hobbyist you will have no problems. You will likely need soldering skills, perhaps some ability to read electrical schematics (probably kit dependent). You might even get lucky on Ebay and find one of the myriad 1970's units. The one I actually owned back then was a kit put together by a friend of mine he sold me when he got tired of it. The kits I've seen on the web seem to be for less than fifty bucks. Most do not appear to include the case or the A/C outlets (which makes some sense since it appears some of these units are capable of 110 or 220v).

The best light show available to most of us would be a DLP front projector running a winamp visualization (or similar). If you own a PC then it's just the cost of the DLP, which can also double/triple as a game display, TV etc. DLP's and similar projectors are now available from about $600 and up. The fifty dollar color organ kits of 1970 are still about fifty dollars. Figure you'd probably be out close to $100 by the time you got all the pieces together for the color organ (depends a lot on what kind of lights you intend to hook up - my raw Christmas tree bulbs strings were cheap enough, but I still had to build a 'display window' to use them. I mounted them flush into the wall and covered them with a 2' x 4' plastic panel like the ones used to diffuse fluorescent lighting).

Enjoy.

post #21 of 22 Old 04-01-2007, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ok thanks!

so is there like a universal connector for rope lights?

For example if I bought this rope light controller (color organ) from www.partsexpress.com, would it work with this rope light from www.noveltylights.com?

post #22 of 22 Old 04-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ok thanks!

so is there like a universal connector for rope lights?

For example if I bought this rope light controller (color organ) from www.partsexpress.com, would it work with this rope light from www.noveltylights.com?

Not sure, but it looks like you could run four strings of those 120 volt led lights so long as they have regular three prong 120 volt cords on them. The ropelight website says they custom make to length 'with a 6' UL approved power cord. They're not cheap in comparison to some I've seen posted on a per foot basis, but that's your decision. Not sure how much extra the LED longevity (and power savings?) are worth. The controller does appear to be listed for use on INCANDESCENT bulbs, so you may want to makes some emails/calls to be sure you can use the LED ropes.

I'm impressed with what you found and think this might be a very nice setup. The controller is a little more sophisticated than the one I owned as it has chase. chase to sound, and auto function. It's also a four channel where mine was three.

You're obligated to let us know how it works if you go this route. I'm actually goofing off on the web instead of building my home theater. It's FINALLY time to get busy with framing/wallboard/wiring/etc. etc. etc. I am thinking of some rope lighting and some minimal amount of mood light settings. I'll use my FP for lightshows but if I ever decide to build one of those underlit acrylic dance floors this is the ticket.

Enjoy.

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page