Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 11-12-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post

Deane - Thanks for the direction. I will dig into BTX's site to learn more. I have found a site where I can get this pair in a faux suede pattern for $528 for the motorized pair but do have concerns that it's only IR controlled which would not be the best for my purposes but could work (as I have an IR blaster connected to my control system as well). But BTX does sound better. Thanks for the guidance.

It's worth noting that Somfy (and I assume others) can take existing motorized or non-motorized shades and put them on their motorized headrail system. I found that this can be cheaper than buying a complete motorized shade from one supplier.
- Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 11-13-2008, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Deane,

What is the average pricing on the BTX stuff?

Thanks

Michael

There is a tremendous range of choices in controls and some range in motors which makes averages a bit difficult. We recently did an office building with the top of the line motors with built in programmable receivers in each shade. The receivers are in the rollers and control is RF. They ran around $1300 per shade.

I would think at least about $1000 per shade for IR, but that's not exact.

With BTX there are many control choices including switch contact.

Performance is exceptional.
post #63 of 75 Old 11-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth122 View Post

It's worth noting that Somfy (and I assume others) can take existing motorized or non-motorized shades and put them on their motorized headrail system. I found that this can be cheaper than buying a complete motorized shade from one supplier.
- Dave

Yep, I think I am starting to lean that direction as well. I like the BTX stuff and all the control options but $1K/shade takes that premise WAY out of the ballpark (for me anyway).

From time to time, the Gene Pool could use a little chlorine ...
post #64 of 75 Old 11-13-2008, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post

Yep, I think I am starting to lean that direction as well. I like the BTX stuff and all the control options but $1K/shade takes that premise WAY out of the ballpark (for me anyway).

What does Somfy retrofit run?
post #65 of 75 Old 11-14-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

What does Somfy retrofit run?

Last time I did it, it was around $300/shade, not including a few extra bits & pieces that you may depending on your power and control situation.
- Dave
post #66 of 75 Old 03-27-2009, 02:17 PM

There seems to be numerous questions about Hunter Douglas products and the ability to control the shades with a Harmony remote. Well, I am an owner of a store that sells Hunter Douglas products and also a loyal Harmony user. And so far, I have not been able to get the Harmony remote to work with the Platinum Technology. If you order a hardwired shade that can work with a home automation system, you can get it to work with a Harmony. I have not confirmed this with my own experimentation, just heard this through numerous HD people I have dealt with.

What I can tell by discussions that I have had, HD intentionally designed the remotes to work this way so not every remote will work with the shades. From what I can tell there might be a code out there to get the shades to work, but HD doesn't give that code out anymore like they did with their old technology. I am not sure if this has anything to due with HD buying ESI (but I strongly believe it does). It makes sense though, cause now if you want to control your shades, you have to buy their remote ($60 retail).

I will keep you guys posted if I hear any new information. If you guys have any questions about HD products, motorization, or retro fitting, let me know. BTW, most old products can be retrofitted to Platinum technology. You just have to find a dealer that is friendly and willing to work with you. If you can't find one in your area, I will be more than happy to help out!
post #67 of 75 Old 03-27-2009, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I got my Plat series to work with the Harmony. I found a rep that sent me some remote eyes from another unit, just the eye iteself. He said the batteries wouldn't last as long with these eyes, since the original ones use the platinum techonolgy to "wake them up" to save battery life, but they still last long.

The rep said they don't have these eyes anymore, so I think I'm the only one that got this to work.

***Learning remotes like the Harmony cannot fully learn the signal from Platinum Technology remote because these remotes are entirely IR, while the Platinum remote sends a mix of IR and RF.

The way I understand it is when it is in IR mode the Platinum remote mixes in a radio signal with the IR signal that "wakes" the batteries on the battery power versions. This allows the batteries to go into a
full sleep mode when not running the shade and has a major impact on lengthening battery life.
LL

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #68 of 75 Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 PM

Just to let you guys know, there is now PowerRise 2.0 that came out in early May. If you are using wireless shades, there is now a way that you can control with a universal IR remote. I'm told you can run wire to a wall IR switch, then you can control them...

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #69 of 75 Old 05-28-2010, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

You can also control them with dry contact, a first for PowerRise.

They are planning a small remotely located RF wall cube that will control them via the AC going on and off. Apply power, they go down, remove power they go up.

If this gets to market, it will allow a very simple control system, that is something as simple as an AC timer from Radio Shack can operate them, or an appliance module controlled by whatever, X10, Zwave, UPB, a wall switch. Simple, but very adaptable.
post #70 of 75 Old 05-28-2010, 09:01 AM

Cool, what do you mean by dry contact?

That's cool with the AC on and Off. That would be great for x10.

FOund an old post you replied to concerning X10:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...hread.cgi?2769

I really want to find a way to get these to work with X10. I haven't ordered the new 2.0 shades yet, just wondering how I could get this to work.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #71 of 75 Old 05-31-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know about the possibility and cost of retrofitting original Power Rise to the new 2.0 system?
- Dave
post #72 of 75 Old 05-31-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe your dealer can send them to Hunter for retrofitting. I don't know the cost. It might be about the same as what it costs originally to have PowerRise over the cost of the basic manual shade.

Be aware, I'm guessing at some of this, because some of my information was obtained before they were released and may have changed.

Have your local dealer make an inquiry to the Hunter Douglas fabricator they use to make their shades.
post #73 of 75 Old 06-01-2010, 08:32 AM

That's good to know. If that's right, that means around $100 per shade I'm guessing. I just ordered some new 2.0 last night, and will report back my thoughts compared to the 1.0 I bought two years ago.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #74 of 75 Old 06-19-2013, 09:27 AM

Regarding the RF adapter and my 2.0 shades.

I think it will work with an X10 ac wall outlet. I control a bunch of stuff in my house with x10 from my iphone with the x10 commander app. Lights, fireplace, etc. All you need is an x10 wall outlet and you can turn it on/off from your phone, from anywhere. This should work with the RF adapter plugged into the X10 replacement wall outlet, right? Essentially it would be doing the same as in this video below, but you can do it from your phone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M62Q5JfkKxU

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #75 of 75 Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 AM

Deane. Do you have a list of difference between the 2.0 and new 2.1 systems?

I just had my one duette shade converted to 2.1 and the bottom rail now has no ferrules or strings to adjust. It's adjust by an allen wrench key now. I was told that changed a few months ago. Wondering what else is different.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page