DIY Homemade DVD storage shelves... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-20-2007, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just thought I'd share my DVD storage solution in case anyone was looking for a decent, inexpensive way to store/display their collections.....

When relocating my HT to the 'basement', I was left with no place to put my 150+ DVD's that had been on a couple of shelving units. I thought about getting a couple of those big binders, but realized that I liked to be able to see the cover art when browsing for a movie...

So I went shopping for shelving options that could go on my wall. I figured just below the soffit on the left would be perfect as it is out of the way yet easy to see and access.

I found the perfect solution during my trip to Ikea/Lowes.

Basically, I found these steel shelf brackets at Ikea for $7 each. I could have used 3 but four looked better ($28 total). I then swung by Lowe's and picked up a 1" x 6" x 10' for $16. DVD cases are about 5 1/4", the bracket is about 6" across, and the 1"x6" is just under 6".

I decided I would mount the brackets upside down so that part of the bracket would act as a bookend. I also decided to run the 1x6 through the bracket instead of on top or below. The brackets are held on with 2 drywall anchors each. I didn't even attach the 1x6 to the brackets because the weight of the DVD's keeps it in place.

All told my cost was $44 plus tax and it took me about 15 minutes to install. Obviously, the nice thing is that the size is totally customizeable and you can put up as many shelves as you need fairly inexpensively.

I've got about 160 DVD's up there now with room for about 35 more. Since my purchasing has ground to a halt lately that should last me a while. I still need some curtains to conceal all of my equipment so just don't look at that part....

-Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-20-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That's genius!
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krooooog View Post

I just thought I'd share my DVD storage solution in case anyone was looking for a decent, inexpensive way to store/display their collections.....

When relocating my HT to the 'basement', I was left with no place to put my 150+ DVD's that had been on a couple of shelving units. I thought about getting a couple of those big binders, but realized that I liked to be able to see the cover art when browsing for a movie...

So I went shopping for shelving options that could go on my wall. I figured just below the soffit on the left would be perfect as it is out of the way yet easy to see and access.

I found the perfect solution during my trip to Ikea/Lowes.

Basically, I found these steel shelf brackets at Ikea for $7 each. I could have used 3 but four looked better ($28 total). I then swung by Lowe's and picked up a 1" x 6" x 10' for $16. DVD cases are about 5 1/4", the bracket is about 6" across, and the 1"x6" is just under 6".

I decided I would mount the brackets upside down so that part of the bracket would act as a bookend. I also decided to run the 1x6 through the bracket instead of on top or below. The brackets are held on with 2 drywall anchors each. I didn't even attach the 1x6 to the brackets because the weight of the DVD's keeps it in place.

All told my cost was $44 plus tax and it took me about 15 minutes to install. Obviously, the nice thing is that the size is totally customizeable and you can put up as many shelves as you need fairly inexpensively.

I've got about 160 DVD's up there now with room for about 35 more. Since my purchasing has ground to a halt lately that should last me a while. I still need some curtains to conceal all of my equipment so just don't look at that part....

I just did a similar thing, but rather then under the bulk head I went right on it!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=872108

post #4 of 4 Old 07-20-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You just need to paint that shelf now.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page