Looking for feedback, Great American Popcorn Maker, e-bay - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 68 Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If it is an 8 oz kettle you should be fine with the 8 oz Megapop. Not all 8 oz kettles are made alike, though. Some are larger than others. But the only time you "should" have problems with "kernel blowout" is if you try to put more than intended in the kettle. I hope the machine works out for you.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 11-12-2007, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Princeton 8oz Popcorn Machine arrived from Discount Tommy's on Friday. I unpacked the machine and the description on the website matched the product. All I had to do was clean the machine, mount the kettle and put on the glass front doors.

Popped my first two batches Saturday night and all I can say is WOW!! The popcorn machine was easy to use and the popcorn tasted just like at a movie theater. The tray warmer kept the popcorn warm and crisp during the evening. I cleaned the machine and kettle (took about 40 minutes) Sunday morning with a wet dish cloth and it was good to go for later that day.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for sharing your popcorn machine experiences.
post #33 of 68 Old 11-12-2007, 09:04 AM

What popcorn and flavorings did you use?
post #34 of 68 Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLife View Post

What popcorn and flavorings did you use?

I used the Pop Weaver 8oz pre-measured packs using coconut oil with butter flavor from Gordon Food Service.

My plan is to order MegaPop from Sam's online after Thanksgiving to try it and decide, which one is better.

Mitch
post #35 of 68 Old 11-14-2007, 10:14 AM

Country Harvest is another tasty brand of popcorn portion packs.
post #36 of 68 Old 11-14-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9783 View Post

Popped my first two batches Saturday night and all I can say is WOW!! The popcorn machine was easy to use and the popcorn tasted just like at a movie theater. The tray warmer kept the popcorn warm and crisp during the evening. I cleaned the machine and kettle (took about 40 minutes) Sunday morning with a wet dish cloth and it was good to go for later that day.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for sharing your popcorn machine experiences.

Forgive my stupidity on these since I don't have one yet...... 40 minutes to clean a popcorn machine Is this normal procedure after every use??

Mike
post #37 of 68 Old 11-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

It depends on your level of "analtude" or whatever that term the Freud came up with... You can do a pretty quick cleanup with a slightly damp cloth in about 5 minutes, then do a more thorough cleaning after every 4-5 poppings or so. It depends on how often you use your machine and how much of a neat freak you are, really. I can do a thorough cleaning in about 20-25 minutes.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #38 of 68 Old 11-14-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtexan View Post

Forgive my stupidity on these since I don't have one yet...... 40 minutes to clean a popcorn machine Is this normal procedure after every use??

Mike

This was my first time cleaning the machine and I spent more time than was necessary. I agree with KenLerch that 20 - 25 minutes should be the average time.
post #39 of 68 Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 AM

Guys,

Thanks for the clarification but that's still a lot of work compared to wiping out the inside of a microwave. Can any parts be thrown into the dishwasher to make it easier?

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9783 View Post

This was my first time cleaning the machine and I spent more time than was necessary. I agree with KenLerch that 20 - 25 minutes should be the average time.

post #40 of 68 Old 11-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

No, nothing can really be put in the dishwasher. Owning a popcorn machine is more than just making popcorn. It's the sound, smell, appearance, taste, and the whole exeperience of making popcorn. It's not for everyone, budget-wise, space-wise or time-wise. But having one definitely enhances the whole movie experience, especially if you entertain at all. It's a fun thing to have.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #41 of 68 Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone has bought a 6 oz machine, would you be willing to measure the length and width of the doors. I have a Paragon TP6 andone of the plexi doors is cracked, I was going to buy a piece of plexi and use my router to cut it to the smae size and shape, but if I could replace with glass, that would be even better. Thanks, Pat
post #42 of 68 Old 11-15-2007, 08:04 AM

I'd stick with plexi, unless you can have tempered glass made up, drilled and chamfered the edges. I've heard of belt sanding the cut edges of tempered glass, but, never done it myself. I wouldn't use window glass. It could be dangerous if it breaks. Send a note to Paragon. I'd be willing to bet they might send you a free door, or, at least offer one for a nominal amount.
post #43 of 68 Old 11-15-2007, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd stick with plexi, unless you can have tempered glass made up, drilled and chamfered the edges. I've heard of belt sanding the cut edges of tempered glass, but, never done it myself. I wouldn't use window glass. It could be dangerous if it breaks. Send a note to Paragon. I'd be willing to bet they might send you a free door, or, at least offer one for a nominal amount.

My thought was that if the doors used on the Great American machine are the same size, I would order them as replacements, as they are supposed to be glass. I have checked the Paragon website and I believe the replacement doors are about $35 each, which seems quite high. Rather than paying that much I would reproduce the doors out of a thicker plexi, which I can do using the old doors as a template and using a router with with a pattern tracing bit and then using a 1/8" radius bit to soften the edges. First choice, however, would be to buy replacements out of glass.
post #44 of 68 Old 11-15-2007, 08:49 AM

Oh, okay. Makes sense.
post #45 of 68 Old 11-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Pat,
Check with the vendor that sold you the machine. They should be able to order you a new door. Depending on how it was broken and when you bought the machine it may be covered under your warranty. If the vendor is not helpful contact Paragon.

Ken

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #46 of 68 Old 11-21-2007, 06:17 PM

Just wanted to follow up on this, I've had a Princeton machine for about a month and a half and using it at my work a neighborhood bar. Had a few problems, the original kettle had the sitr rod break on the second batch but I had it welded and it worked fine then when another bartender left the kettle on for a few hours it stopped working. I ordered a replacement kettle from Discount Tommy for $21 and been popping without problems since. We make at least 4 batches per day and on weekends sometimes as many as 15.

We're using the megapop salt, oil, and bulk corn from Sam's.
post #47 of 68 Old 07-16-2008, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Must add my 2 cents to this thread.

I got a Pasadena Popper from Discount Tommy in June of last year. They advertise this machine with a 3-year warranty.

Initially, the kettle stopped heating after I made about 5 batches. This was returned and replaced with no hassle (besides having to pay the return shipping costs).

In Spring of this year, the stir rod snapped off due to the weak weld as highlighted by another user here. I returned this to Discount Tommy in late May, and since then my wife and I have corresponded by both e-mail and phone repeatedly with the company with no resolution.

They are now saying that they have no record of my earlier paypal or e-bay transactions with them, and that further, the parts we returned "do not look like original parts".

Beyond all that, I have also noted the very high level of unpopped kernels that result with this machine, probably from the small kettle size as noted.

It does not appear that I will get satisfactory resolution to this issue.

It is my recommendation that you look elsewhere than Discount Tommy for a popcorn machine.

- Spike Forehand

-----------------------------------------------

"Blow, ye wind, like the trumpet blows. But without that noise."
post #48 of 68 Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 PM

Sorry the quality wasn't up to "snuff". They could do so much if they wanted to to improve quality
post #49 of 68 Old 07-17-2008, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Note: This threaad just goes to show you that you should buy a Gold Medal, Star, Paragon or Cretors popper. If you don't buy the four mentioned poppers at least buy a not so well known brand from a local Costco, B.J.s or Sams Club. This way if you have problems, you can take back the machine locally and complain.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm kinda leary about buying from a company when you click on contact us or about us and there is no address or phone number on their website. An address or phone number doesn't guarantee that a company is reliable but at least you can call them.
Doesn't a company have to pay so much money for every 800 phone number call they receive?
Discount Tommy or Great American Popcorn 800-665-0728

http://www.discounttommy.com/Shop/Co...page/contactus
http://www.discounttommy.com/Shop/Co...2/page/aboutus
contact us info says: sales@dtxinternational.com
http://www.dtxinternational.com/inde...d=15&Itemid=35

3051 Honor Drive
Rochester Hills, MI 48309
1-800-665-0728

Quote:
Originally Posted by discounttommy View Post

Wildfire:

I take great exception to your comments below. In fact I consider them slander. Our machines have nothing similar to the elite machine at Costco other than the look of the shell. We use thicker glass and steel and we use real glass doors. Our gears are metal. . .our machine is quieter. It has a 3 year warranty and the warming deck works great.

About the only thing you got correct was that it is made in china. We have worked with a new factory and have strict quality controls. We would not have 100% positive feedback with more than 18,000 transactions on EBAY if we were selling cheap machines. The Elite Machine is made by Union Industries and the Nostalgia machines are made by Helman . . . .these machines do not compare to our quality.

Visit www.discounttommy.com and compare for yourself. There is not an 8 ounce machine in our price range which compares. I will be doing a video comparison shortly to capture sounds and features you discussed below. Hopefully this will eliminate much of the confusion based solely on the look of the machine.

Thomas Gerard

post #50 of 68 Old 07-17-2008, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Forehand View Post

I got a Pasadena Popper from Discount Tommy in June of last year. They advertise this machine with a 3-year warranty.

Initially, the kettle stopped heating after I made about 5 batches. This was returned and replaced with no hassle (besides having to pay the return shipping costs).

- Spike Forehand

Spike get this. Go figure the same sales@dtxinternational.com email address is on the discounttommy.com and the greatamericanpopcorn.com website. Obviously Thomas Gerard is the webmaster of both websites. Please keep us posted to your situation. You have kept records of your paypal transactions, right? This sounds like something you can report to paypal since the popper is still under warranty. If not, I'm sure there are enough members on this forum than can warn users to not buy a popper or any other products from discounttommy.com or greatamericanpopcorn.com. I would also advertise this do not buy from these two companies to other home theater websites on the web.

"If for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase, please contact us at sales@dtxinternational.com and let us know before submitting your feedback. We will do everything to meet your needs. Your satisfaction is our #1 priority. It is our policy to leave positive feedback for every buyer that leaves us positive feedback."

Discounttommy.com whois info:

Registrant:
DTX International
3227 Knoll Court
HIghland, Michigan 48356
United States

Administrative Contact:
Gerard, Thomas tgerard@discounttommy.com
DTX International
3227 Knoll Court
HIghland, Michigan 48356
United States
8006650728 Fax --

Technical Contact:
Gerard, Thomas tgerard@discounttommy.com
DTX International
3227 Knoll Court
HIghland, Michigan 48356
United States
8006650728 Fax --

Greatamericanpopcorn.com whois info:

Registrant:
Discount Tommy LLC
3051 Honor Drive
Rochester Hills, Michigan 48309
United States

Administrative Contact:
Gerard, Thomas discounttommy@hotmail.com
Discount Tommy LLC
3051 Honor Drive
United States
(248) 841-4392

Technical Contact:
Gerard, Thomas discounttommy@hotmail.com
Discount Tommy LLC
3051 Honor Drive
United States
(248) 841-4392
post #51 of 68 Old 03-15-2009, 05:51 PM

wow.
post #52 of 68 Old 03-16-2009, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wow.

LOL!
You can run but you can't hide!
post #53 of 68 Old 03-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliDog View Post

I ordered the "Chaplin" 6oz model from the discount tommy site which I received last Thursday. The popper looks nice and seems to be well made, but since it arrived with two shattered windows (stupid UPS) I had to send it back. I spoke with Mr. Gerard by phone and he shipped another to me the same day. I will let you know how it does in action when I get the replacement and have a chance to use it.

FWIW, a year and a half later and my 6oz popper from Tommy/Great American is still going strong. I use it 2-3 times per month and took it to a festival once and made popcorn for about 8 hours straight.

chili
somebody set up us the bomb
post #54 of 68 Old 03-19-2009, 06:22 PM

I purchased a Paducah 8 Ounce Bar Style Antique Popcorn Machine from Tommy/Great American on Monday and it arrived today (Thursday). Fast shipping and I am impressed with the unit. The unit is a lot better looking then the one that sam's club sales. Metal appears to be thinker, it has glass on all three sides and glass doors. Even the scoop is at least twice as thick as the one you get with the sam's club popper. The only thing that is odd the measurements on the website is incorrect. The popper I got says "Paducah" on it but is the size of the "Lincoln" model so don't' know what is up with that. Now I can't wait until the weekend to watch a movie and try it out.
post #55 of 68 Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Hey all, saw this thread, am new to the forums but thought I would weigh in since I actually have one of their machines--
I bought a Princeton with a cart about 2 months ago and have been using it around my bar at home and we love it. Looks real good, thick glass big wheels and also I've popped it for hours at a time.

I'm probably gonna get another of their machines but without a cart for my office...pretty good value and style I think.
post #56 of 68 Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 AM

We bought one of these after looking at Paramount and Paragon machines. The Princeton exceeded my expectations . .. my wife was very skeptical of me buying online. One thing I liked is that I could call the company. . funny thing. . .I thought the bottom of our machine was all scratched up when in fact it was the plastic protection paper they put on it. Boy did I feel stupid. We have popped about 20 batches and it works great!
post #57 of 68 Old 08-31-2009, 06:48 PM

skinbone and tspencer do you have any pics?
Would love to see the model up close and in action.
Thanks!
post #58 of 68 Old 02-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Sorry, i know this is an older thread, but I just bought a new Princeton Popper and it should be here within a week. After reading many stories on the web for and against it, at a shipped to my door price of $238 i couldnt resist. Anyone who still has one still satisfied? I'll postsome pics when it gets here.
post #59 of 68 Old 02-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Does anyone have a Gatsby popper from Paragon? They are USA made and priced right, just a thought as an alternate.
post #60 of 68 Old 02-25-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipRing View Post

Sorry, i know this is an older thread, but I just bought a new Princeton Popper and it should be here within a week. After reading many stories on the web for and against it, at a shipped to my door price of $238 i couldnt resist. Anyone who still has one still satisfied? I'll postsome pics when it gets here.

Nip,
Someone did the same thing you did about two months ago and regretted it because his stirrer stopped working.

I hope it's a Princeton that's been fixed and it's not new old stock.
http://www.usrecallnews.com/2009/05/cpsc-5405.html

THE FOLLOWING PRODUCT SAFETY RECALL WAS VOLUNTARILY CONDUCTED BY THE FIRM IN COOPERATION WITH THE CPSC. CONSUMERS SHOULD STOP USING THE PRODUCT IMMEDIATELY UNLESS OTHERWISE INSTRUCTED.

PRODUCT INVOLVED: POPCORN MACHINES

UNITS: ABOUT 220

IMPORTER: DTX INTERNATIONAL (D/B/A GREAT AMERICAN POPCORN CO.), OF MANCELONA, MICH.

HAZARD: THE HEATING ELEMENT OF THE POPCORN MACHINE’S WARMING DECK CAN REMAIN ON AFTER BEING SWITCHED OFF. THIS POSES A BURN HAZARD TO USERS.

INCIDENTS/INJURIES: DTX HAS RECEIVED ONE REPORT OF THE HEATING ELEMENT REMAINING ON WHEN SWITCHED OFF. NO INJURIES HAVE BEEN REPORTED.

DESCRIPTION: THIS RECALL INVOLVES THE “PASADENA,” “PRINCETON” AND “PADUCAH” 8-OUNCE POPCORN MACHINES. THE MODEL NAME IS PRINTED ON THE TOP OF THE UNIT. THE RECALL INCLUDES UNITS WITH AND WITHOUT THE CART.

SOLD ONLINE AT: DISCOUNT TOMMY (DISCOUNTTOMMY.COM) AND GREAT AMERICAN POPCORN COMPANY (GREATAMERICANPOPCORN.COM) FROM SEPTEMBER 2008 THROUGH OCTOBER 2008 FOR BETWEEN $150 AND $350.

MANUFACTURED IN: CHINA

REMEDY: CONSUMERS SHOULD STOP USING POPCORN MACHINES IMMEDIATELY AND CONTACT DTX INTERNATIONAL TO ARRANGE FOR A FREE REPAIR INCLUDING SHIPPING.

CONSUMER CONTACT: FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT DTX INTERNATIONAL AT (800) 665-0728 BETWEEN 9 A.M. AND 3 P.M. ET MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY OR VISIT THE FIRM’S WEB SITE AT WWW.GREATAMERICANPOPCORN.COM
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page