Cheap 27x40 Poster Frames? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 08-26-2007, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, I have a small collection (4) of the $20 Walmart 27x40 poster frames. I have been very happy with the look/cost of these, but the little metal tabs that hold the cardboard backing in tend to only survive so many poster swaps.

I've lost so many tabs on some of the frames that I think I'll need to replace the frame next time I try to swap the poster. I'm about to just replace it with the $20 frame since the cost is so low, but I'm also wondering what else is out there for the same price range.

Walmart now carries a 24x36 frame that has a square dark brushed silver frame that is about $23. It's nice because the backing is held on by swiveling clips that I'm assuming would weather an infinite amount of opening and closing. If they carried these in 27x40, it would be a no-brainer.

Anybody have any options?

Thanks,
xhonzi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
frameusa.com is a great place for cheap frames. The only down side is you have to order at least 50.00 worth of stuff.

War Eagle!
post #3 of 25 Old 08-26-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

So, I have a small collection (4) of the $20 Walmart 27x40 poster frames. I have been very happy with the look/cost of these, but the little metal tabs that hold the cardboard backing in tend to only survive so many poster swaps.

I've lost so many tabs on some of the frames that I think I'll need to replace the frame next time I try to swap the poster. I'm about to just replace it with the $20 frame since the cost is so low, but I'm also wondering what else is out there for the same price range.

Walmart now carries a 24x36 frame that has a square dark brushed silver frame that is about $23. It's nice because the backing is held on by swiveling clips that I'm assuming would weather an infinite amount of opening and closing. If they carried these in 27x40, it would be a no-brainer.

Anybody have any options?

Thanks,
xhonzi

You can get the little tabs from HD, but I forget what they're called. I also agree about the frameusa frames, I have 6 of them total. They use the little tabs still though!

BUd
post #4 of 25 Old 08-26-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

You can get the little tabs from HD, but I forget what they're called. I also agree about the frameusa frames, I have 6 of them total. They use the little tabs still though!

BUd

The tabs I was talking about are little bendy things attached to the frame. When they bend too much, they snap off.

Are these the same as what you're talking about? I don't understand how buying anything from HD will help.

xhonzi
post #5 of 25 Old 08-26-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The tabs I was talking about are little bendy things attached to the frame. When they bend too much, they snap off.

Are these the same as what you're talking about? I don't understand how buying anything from HD will help.

xhonzi

Yes, the same thing. I thought you said you lost some, hence I figured you could replace those at least.

Bud
post #6 of 25 Old 08-26-2007, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
They are really hard to get in too. I LOVE FrameUSA. I got ~8 frames there. Very nice high quality stuff but as mentioned earlier, they use tabs too.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-26-2007, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dang, you had my hopes up there. When I said lost, I guess I really meant "broken off." I guess I'll have to watch my phraseology.

I looked at the "deluxe" frames at FrameUSA. I saw some diagrams, but no detailed pictures. Can anybody take some pics of theirs?

xhonzi
post #8 of 25 Old 08-27-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The little clips are sharp little things and you can drive them into the frame (don't use the same holes). Depending one the frame you have sometimes it is nearly impossible to get them in.

I got the black leather wide:
http://www.frameusa.com/blacklth.htm

And ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they are selling them in 27X40 and 27X41 anymore. These are a HUGE step up from the plastic $20 walmart frame. HUGE STEP UP.
post #9 of 25 Old 08-27-2007, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I got my frames at IKEA, check out my gallery where you can see some of my framed posters.. hope this helps

post #10 of 25 Old 08-27-2007, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dang, you had my hopes up there. When I said lost, I guess I really meant "broken off." I guess I'll have to watch my phraseology.

I looked at the "deluxe" frames at FrameUSA. I saw some diagrams, but no detailed pictures. Can anybody take some pics of theirs?

xhonzi

They're not this thick, I used the first noes ordered to make light boxes:

Bud
post #11 of 25 Old 08-27-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

post #12 of 25 Old 08-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
If you go to the link in my signature, there are pictures of my posters. I also got the Corporate Wide from Frames USA. For the price, it's hard to beat the quality. You can spend less (and you can definitely spend more), but these frames hit a nice sweet spot of affordable quality.

jj
post #13 of 25 Old 08-28-2007, 01:46 PM

Michaels also runs specials on their 27x40 inch frames that have the swivel clips. Otherwise you can use their 50% off coupons to bring the price down.

Ikea hasn't had the black 27x40 frames for awhile. They even took them off their website.
post #14 of 25 Old 09-03-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bud[/quote]

How did your light boxes turn out?

xhonzi
post #15 of 25 Old 09-03-2007, 05:04 PM

Got mine from Michaels as well. 50% off. They indeed have the swivel clips and are heavier than the ones from Walmart as they use real glass instead of plexiglass. But the frames look exactly the same. Couldn't tell the difference.
post #16 of 25 Old 01-05-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Bud

So these are the corporate wide from FramesUSA? How are they holding up?? Im teeter tottering from the Corporate Wide frame and the economy frame from Hollywood Poster frames... Decisions Decisions Decisions

Where you come from - Is gone. Where you thought you were going - Was never there. And where you are, aint no good unless you can get away from it.
post #17 of 25 Old 01-10-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Exactly. All the large ones, including the ones I used for the light boxes are corporate wide. I'd go with the FrameUSA ones...

Bud
post #18 of 25 Old 03-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm bumping this for a little bit more advice. I'm looking to buy a 27x40 frame, as well.

It seems that it's suggested that the corporate wide series at framesusa.com is the way to go. Is that still the case? I don't want a cheap Walmart frame, but I don't want to pay $100 either.

Regarding the frame from framesusa.com...can someone chime in and state whether or not this is a glass frame, or merely a cheap plastic frame? Looks like the price is only $30, so I'm guessing it's plastic?
post #19 of 25 Old 03-28-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post

I'm bumping this for a little bit more advice. I'm looking to buy a 27x40 frame, as well.

It seems that it's suggested that the corporate wide series at framesusa.com is the way to go. Is that still the case? I don't want a cheap Walmart frame, but I don't want to pay $100 either.

Regarding the frame from framesusa.com...can someone chime in and state whether or not this is a glass frame, or merely a cheap plastic frame? Looks like the price is only $30, so I'm guessing it's plastic?

The corporate wide frames are made of wood, not plastic. I ordered the Clean Cut series. To give the frames a more "classy" look. They are pretty good frames for the price.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-29-2009, 12:29 AM

^I know the frame itself is made of wood, but what I was referring to was the actual display/window of the frame--is that plastic or is it glass?
post #21 of 25 Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 AM

It is Styrene not glass. You wouldnt know it is'nt glass by looking at it. It looks great.
post #22 of 25 Old 03-29-2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks.

One more thing, could you describe the backing for the poster? I'm curious how I would have to go about mounting it, if it's sturdy, etc.
post #23 of 25 Old 03-29-2009, 03:11 PM

The backing that holds the poster in place is basically a piece of cardboard. To hang the poster. It comes with a hangar clip you nail into the back of the wood frame and has little notches in it to help hang the picture level. The posters dont weigh a thing. So it doesnt take much to keep them on the wall.
post #24 of 25 Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 AM

I am writing this because it seems as though alot of these posts are not about "throw away" types of posters, and figured with how horrible it has been to search the web lately due to big box stores ruining real search results... that perhaps some of you may indeed would want to consider some alternatives. Well above Walmart or Michaels quality, yet way below custom frame shop prices.... a great alternative are online companies like Poster Frame Depot and Wholesale Poster Frames. They have quality aluminum poster frames which are custom shop quality at 1/3 the price. They use quality materials that will not harm your posters over time. (Materials like Acid-Free Foamboard backings and UV protected lens covers)
The better quality materials of course are much more pricey to use than wood backings or styrene covers, as well as the metal they use is typically much thicker and stronger than any backloaded frame I have seen at the big box stores. The pricing for a 27x40 frame starts at around $50.00 each and depending on material choices goes up to as much as $80.00. For quality and price, I just have not found anywhere else that even compares. When I go to a local framer or even the big box retailers custom frame areas (which use the same materials), I was getting quoted more than $150.00 for their least expensive versions with a coupon. A jump from $25.00 to $50.00 is indeed higher, but the satisfaction of knowing you don't have to worry about crappy hangers or materials that may end up harming your posters is well worth it for me.
post #25 of 25 Old 04-24-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I recommend 27 X 40 movie poster frames from two companies based on personal experience. When you use a Michael's coupon you can't beat the price on one of their frames for the quality you get. I use these frames in the stairwell in the entrance to my home theater. In my home theater itself, where I have my most valuable movie posters, I only use Snap Frame Direct frames. These are the same frames they supply to the real movie theaters. You can get them on eBay at some good prices ($40 + shipping but they will combine shipping if you buy more than one). These are nice because they open from the front and you can change out the poster while the frame is still hung.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page