Ambient light for behind a TV suggestions - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 120 Old 07-10-2013, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@flyingdog thanks for digging that picture out of the archives. I thought it was a pretty cool effect for a TV that was in a recessed pocket in the wall.

You'd also get the same effect if you had some home theater furniture or a large bookcase with a spot for a TV (like the picture below).

www.EclipseTVLights.com
@EclipseTVLights
www.facebook.com/EclipseTVLights
Here's a coupon code for all those at AVS.
Just enter "AVS20" to get 20% off your entire order on our website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 07-16-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ok I'm thinking of buying the LEDGlow package for my 55" TV. Since it sits on A TV stand would you guys suggest I place the two 15' strips side by side across the top and the smaller 9' strips one on each side? As opposed to one on each of the four sides?

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
PSN: Rican21
post #93 of 120 Old 07-17-2013, 08:33 PM

@GatorRican, glad that you're making the move to ambient light kits for TVs. The LED strip configuration that we suggest for TVs of your size is two on the top, two on the bottom, and one on each side (our Large LED kit comes with 6 strips, but we have X-Large with 8 LEDs, and Regular with 4 LEDs) .

The picture below was taken on a 50" Samsung that sat on a TV table, and there was great coverage with the strips laid out this way. Also, all of our LED strips are ~10 inches (25cm), so they can be switched around if you prefer something different for your particular home theater setup.

Let me know if you have any other questions about layout, or want more pictures of our installs. We'd love to have you as a customer, but if not best of luck!

www.EclipseTVLights.com
@EclipseTVLights
post #94 of 120 Old 07-24-2013, 02:55 AM

Liked: 12
Frank...Got a question:

Is there a particular side/area/surface on that little black receiver part that picks up the IR signals better? Was curious as the two different sets responds really differently. One is alittle slower to respond to inputs. Kinda like I gotta wave the remote around before the lights respond. Where as the other set is a very fast....click/boom..it responds. Thought maybe how the position between the remote and IR picker-upper makes a difference.
post #95 of 120 Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 PM

@flyingdog, the IR receiver has an "eye" (round and shiny) that accepts the signal from the remote control. You want to make sure this "eye" is facing the direction that you're using the remote. I'll track down a picture and post soon.

www.EclipseTVLights.com
@EclipseTVLights
post #96 of 120 Old 07-26-2013, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. Kinda what I thought. I'm sure you're referring to the little half circle hump portion on the black receiver. I have this mounted flush on the bottom of my set and noticed this hump like portion is pointing downwards. Hence, I sure this is why it's not always picking up the signal. I'll have to reposition this part. I had it mounted like this as to make it pretty hidden.

update: Finally got around to repositioning this part. It does pickup the input signal better. But, the whole system doesn't respond as quickly as the unit on my other tv. Not a biggie, though. Just different response speeds.
post #97 of 120 Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 PM

Stumbled upon this thread about 2 hours ago. My setup now looks like this. For 20 bucks. 65" Panasonic VT30.

post #98 of 120 Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrippen View Post

Stumbled upon this thread about 2 hours ago. My setup now looks like this. For 20 bucks. 65" Panasonic VT30.

Looks nice. Does that walmart rope LED light come in blue? I saw it in the store last week but it was that hyper white like your first picture.
post #99 of 120 Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espnetboy3 View Post

Looks nice. Does that walmart rope LED light come in blue? I saw it in the store last week but it was that hyper white like your first picture.
post #100 of 120 Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 AM

Here's my setup on my 65" DLP. For several years now I had a set of 10 mini incandestent Christmas lights (clear) similar to the pics here affixed with the plastic clips shown in another post. But I finally decided they were a tad bright, and wanted a softer glow. This is the result as of two weeks ago. So now a set of 10 Halloween lights ($2) from Big Lots (therefore the orange/red color). They are permanently on, supplied from the UPS behind the TV. I tried LED lights, but the strong color, focused light cone, and brightness made the effect 'brittle', directional, and too harsh to my eyes,

post #101 of 120 Old 11-04-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin9k View Post

But I finally decided they were a tad bright, and wanted a softer glow. This is the result as of two weeks ago. So now a set of 10 Halloween lights ($2) from Big Lots (therefore the orange/red color). They are permanently on, supplied from the UPS behind the TV. I tried LED lights, but the strong color, focused light cone, and brightness made the effect 'brittle', directional, and too harsh to my eyes,

All the previous setups are nice ideas and sure they work for ya. But you sure can't beat (least in my view) the variety/adjust a-bility of the Eclipse Lighting. Sure their just a tad pricier than the Walmart setups out there. But you won't be stuck with just one color/hue/brightness. It's all about the mood. biggrin.gif
post #102 of 120 Old 11-05-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdog View Post

All the previous setups are nice ideas and sure they work for ya. But you sure can't beat (least in my view) the variety/adjust a-bility of the Eclipse Lighting. Sure their just a tad pricier than the Walmart setups out there. But you won't be stuck with just one color/hue/brightness. It's all about the mood. biggrin.gif

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Eclipse, but surely there are far more sophisticated lighting setups than mine. I'd like color changing and intensity control, but I opted for simplicity. Given that, changing the color from white to orange red, creates a better mood setting, and is a 1 min install on the TV's backside. I enjoy using common items in unique contexts, so the fun is deciding what's needed, finding it somewhere where you'd least expect to - and putting it to use. BTW what are the particulars of the Eclipse lights?
post #103 of 120 Old 11-06-2013, 01:54 AM

Oh..no doubt on what you said. If you go back to pages 2 & 3 of this thread you'd see what Eclipse Lights are about. Sadly ( and ironically), just couple days ago I got notice from the company that they are closing up shop. What a same for those looking to get into theater lighting, without having to break the bank for a full blown home theater setup. These things fit the bill perfectly.
post #104 of 120 Old 11-07-2013, 03:36 PM

Personally like my room as dark as possible when watching movies, etc., but if you want to backlight screen or av rack consider getting a LED Kit by Cyron. They are capable of millions of colors, dimmable, and can even be set to respond to sound. Saw a Kit at Lowes for ~$50 that included four LED light bars.

You can see their products at Cyron.com

End War, VOTE PEACE
post #105 of 120 Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 AM

Ya..I too use to like the room pitch black, just not any more. Those are nice back lighting sets. Almost identical you what I use.
post #106 of 120 Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 PM

I just think the idea of using 9" light bars which would give me half moon shaped lighting on each side of my tv would look awful. Has to be consistent. And do you guys really frequently change the color of your backlighting? I feel like thats one of those things most people would forget to play with after a while. I would think the content on the television would be more important. All that being said, the only reason I decided to go for the backlight is to try to help my headaches and eye irritation during long gaming sessions. Which it does.
post #107 of 120 Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Picked up Sylvania Mosaic flexible led lights at BJ's warehouse for $25. 16 colors, dimmable, fade or flash.
post #108 of 120 Old 01-10-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrippen View Post

And do you guys really frequently change the color of your backlighting?

Most definately. (In my case..anyway)
pokeme likes this.
post #109 of 120 Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM

Liked: 486
Mine here is in a 60" Sony LED TV. I used tape style smd LEDs from dx.com and a cheap rf remote/outlet kit with 3 outlets for future upgrades. To power this I use a cheap generic laptop power brick with connections soldered to the led tape. Pretty simple and effective for reducing eyestrain at least. Plus it looks cool ;-)

post #110 of 120 Old 02-23-2014, 04:10 AM

Nice....
post #111 of 120 Old 02-23-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdog View Post

Nice....

Thanks, I'm pretty sure the ones i got are "warm white" on a white wall they do look a touch amber, exaggerated by my false walls of maroon draperies.
post #112 of 120 Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 PM

Liked: 15

Hey all... I thought I'd share what's on its way from Hong Kong.  Lightpack is a new product still in early beta stages, but the tech looked so promising to me that I just had to jump on board.  Now, I'll disclaim that the lighting system is PC/Mac/Linux/Android driven.  So those with HTPC's might want to take a look.  But here's what it does!!!!

Video being played on the computer/device is captured by the Lightpack driver application, content color is examined and the colors of the LEDs mounted behind the display are changed to MATCH THE PICTURE!!!  

Hidden for Added Drama... (Click to show)

Just go over to Lightpack.tv to check it out, and if you want to jump on board, just go over to GrandSt.com and pick yours up for about $140 including shipping.  If you have a larger screen (> 50") they recommend an additional pack (and if you get bigger 3 or 4.  Up to 5 can work together to produce the effect, but at $600 + shipping that just seems crazy - I'm running mine on a 47" for which they say 1 is plenty.  They also say the effect works best for screens that are NOT flush with the wall, but have a few to several inches of space to the wall.  If I like the effect then I'll get another for when I upgrade to a 55" or 60" when the time comes (waiting to see what happens with 4K and HTPC options)

I'll post some pics and videos once I get it setup which will probably be in about a month - it shipped on 4/1 and expected delivery isn't until 4/24 (I assume it's coming by Sea)...

And for those of you technical types, you can write plugins using Python with their simple API which involves just a few simple commands so you can have it do all sorts of things (i.e. Flash a few times when you get a new e-mail).  I'd love to have someone else playing with it so we can bounce ideas off one another.  I'm hoping that I can somehow integrate it with my Insteon Home Automation system, but it's not a deal breaker if I can't.

post #113 of 120 Old 04-05-2014, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithhayward View Post

Hey all... I thought I'd share what's on its way from Hong Kong.  Lightpack is a new product still in early beta stages, but the tech looked so promising to me that I just had to jump on board.  Now, I'll disclaim that the lighting system is PC/Mac/Linux/Android driven.  So those with HTPC's might want to take a look.  But here's what it does!!!!

Video being played on the computer/device is captured by the Lightpack driver application, content color is examined and the colors of the LEDs mounted behind the display are changed to MATCH THE PICTURE!!!  

Just go over to Lightpack.tv to check it out, and if you want to jump on board, just go over to GrandSt.com and pick yours up for about $140 including shipping.  If you have a larger screen (> 50") they recommend an additional pack (and if you get bigger 3 or 4.  Up to 5 can work together to produce the effect, but at $600 + shipping that just seems crazy - I'm running mine on a 47" for which they say 1 is plenty.  They also say the effect works best for screens that are NOT flush with the wall, but have a few to several inches of space to the wall.  If I like the effect then I'll get another for when I upgrade to a 55" or 60" when the time comes (waiting to see what happens with 4K and HTPC options)

I'll post some pics and videos once I get it setup which will probably be in about a month - it shipped on 4/1 and expected delivery isn't until 4/24 (I assume it's coming by Sea)...

And for those of you technical types, you can write plugins using Python with their simple API which involves just a few simple commands so you can have it do all sorts of things (i.e. Flash a few times when you get a new e-mail).  I'd love to have someone else playing with it so we can bounce ideas off one another.  I'm hoping that I can somehow integrate it with my Insteon Home Automation system, but it's not a deal breaker if I can't.

That would be cool for parties/music videos but I think yearly distracting for a movie, however I'll wait till I sew your results :-)
post #114 of 120 Old 04-05-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeme View Post

That would be cool for parties/music videos but I think yearly distracting for a movie, however I'll wait till I sew your results :-)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but after reading their "science" it seem plausible that your eyes/brain perceive the added light as an extension of the picture. We shall find out!!!
pokeme likes this.
post #115 of 120 Old 04-05-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:

I'm glad somebody is finally trying this. I don't know if it was only in prototype phase, but I've seen videos of stuff like that before.

I think it will be awesome for 'explosions'. and a lot of those video games scenes look awesome when flashes of light explode out the back of the tv. but I see two things that could be problematic. first, it looks weird during slow, boring scenes. I'm just imagining watching the simpsons or something, and having these high contrast colors coming off it. secondly, I feel like bias lighting is needed most during dark scenes, to make black look black, and it appears this system would dim to a point it's likely ineffective.

none of that takes away from what it's capable of. just that under many situations I think it'll be best used as a static bias light, and I could see myself watching things twice(once with it on, once with it off) just trying to decide which is the better way to view something, haha

anyway, please report make with impressions. I think I'd have to change the way I position my TV's, but with a system like this it might be worth the change
post #116 of 120 Old 04-07-2014, 01:49 PM

OK Gents, so the Lightpack arrived today.  I won't have it setup for a few weeks probably since I'm in the middle of moving out of my house into a new one (4/16).  Then I need to actually unpack and get my house "livable" before I start playing with the new "toys".  I'm hoping to do a video review of it from unboxing and installation, setup and configuration to options and effects.   More to come.

post #117 of 120 Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 AM

psklenar.......

You still around?
post #118 of 120 Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 AM

Lightpack installed and tested and I'm a big fan. The Prismatik software can be a hog causing some content to jitter but overall it's a nice addition. The lights are plenty bright and can be fully adjusted down if necessary. I'll post some pics/vids soon. If anyone happens to be in the Phoenix valley, your welcome to come check it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #119 of 120 Old 05-20-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Lightpack installed and tested and I'm a big fan. The Prismatik software can be a hog causing some content to jitter but overall it's a nice addition. The lights are plenty bright and can be fully adjusted down if necessary. I'll post some pics/vids soon. If anyone happens to be in the Phoenix valley, your welcome to come check it out.

Sadly not near you. What computer specs do you have powering it? I have an old amd 640 with 4gb of ram as my media computer...it's weak.
post #120 of 120 Old 05-21-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:

can't wait to hear/see more.

if I may request. I'd like to see an example of when it doesn't look good. like maybe crank it up full blast and play some simpson's or something.

also wouldn't mind some examples of it playing movies, I think this could be really cool, but not sure if I'd have to adjust it constantly to get the most out of it or what
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
Reviews , Accessories , Ambient

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page