Ambient light for behind a TV suggestions - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 132 Old 08-18-2014, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have used Ikea Dioders on the back of my tv for a while and am very happy with the look/colour.

Having said that, I'm hoping to be able to refine the control so that the lights can either be controlled by remote or just automatically turn on with the tv. What would be the best way to accomplish this?

If I just went with turning on automatically, I assume that a 'smart' power bar would be the easiest. Does anyone have recommendations for these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
I put one of these behind mine just today: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00D...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

didn't find out until after they arrived that they don't come with a power convertor though, so add another 5bux for one of those. I've got a more 'expensive' version that I used for lighting up my platform seating, looks very similar but has a few more features and came with everything needed. I was trying to do it on the cheap this time, since I wasn't sure if I'd really ever use the bias lighting.

works decent, but 'white' isn't very white. if I had to guess I'd say it's like 7500k or there about.

'white'

red/green/blue(there's some other options as well)

*note, the blue actually does look blue in real life. not sure what happened in the pic to make it look pinkish in parts

so my verdict, is that I would not recommend the exact model I used, as I think it'd be nice to be able to dim them as desired. but I like the general idea. they are remote controlled, color changeable, and if you plug it into a switched outlet, it'll remember the last setting.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 09-16-2014 at 06:05 PM.
post #123 of 132 Old 09-14-2014, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
looks like Eclipse is out of business. Anyone have any recomendations that are LED, Color changing and use an IR remote?

I have a 75" samsung and all the cords rund through a channel that starts behind my TV and routes into a cabinet under my TV where outlets are concealed.. So I want to minimize the amount of cords I have to run to the power outlet.
post #124 of 132 Old 09-15-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dog View Post
looks like Eclipse is out of business. Anyone have any recomendations that are LED, Color changing and use an IR remote?

I have a 75" samsung and all the cords rund through a channel that starts behind my TV and routes into a cabinet under my TV where outlets are concealed.. So I want to minimize the amount of cords I have to run to the power outlet.
I just put up this stuff a few weeks ago

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It went up easily, does color change, with IR control. There is a bit of a wall wart, and the IR receiver takes up some space. Looks nice, though.

Keep in mind this is during daytime, with a white or yellow backlight, taken from far back, using the photosphere!
post #125 of 132 Old 10-06-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dog View Post
looks like Eclipse is out of business. .

Ya...and what a shame. They were a great backlighting system. To bad you didn't catch them during their closeout sale. I was able to pickup three more sets at half price. They were certainly a hit for Christmas presents.
post #126 of 132 Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I just put up this stuff a few weeks ago

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It went up easily, does color change, with IR control. There is a bit of a wall wart, and the IR receiver takes up some space. Looks nice, though.

Keep in mind this is during daytime, with a white or yellow backlight, taken from far back, using the photosphere!
Question, can the lights with a IR be controlled by a Harmony remote? and is the kit you linked large enough for a 70 inch tv?
post #127 of 132 Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post
Question, can the lights with a IR be controlled by a Harmony remote? and is the kit you linked large enough for a 70 inch tv?
I found some Taotronic in the Harmony database. It wasn't my exact model, but it works for some of the functions. Not all of the light colors. I honestly haven't gone to the trouble of learning the missing ones through the software.

My LED strip was 16.4 ft long (197"). A 70" diagonal would roughly be 60" x 35", for a total perimeter of 190".

So it'd be close. Probably really close. You'd just have to see where you could cut if you had extra. It's only every 3rd light or so.
post #128 of 132 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

Thanks!
post #129 of 132 Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I found some Taotronic in the Harmony database. It wasn't my exact model, but it works for some of the functions. Not all of the light colors. I honestly haven't gone to the trouble of learning the missing ones through the software.

My LED strip was 16.4 ft long (197"). A 70" diagonal would roughly be 60" x 35", for a total perimeter of 190".

So it'd be close. Probably really close. You'd just have to see where you could cut if you had extra. It's only every 3rd light or so.
One last question.....does this come with connectors when i cut them? is there any soldering involved?
Thanks again
post #130 of 132 Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought my backlighting at IKEA and hooked it up to a WeMo switch so I could turn it on/off with my phone. I only use it for bias lighting if I want the perceived blacks to be deeper when I am watching a movie with the lights off.

It works well!
post #131 of 132 Old Today, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One last question.....does this come with connectors when i cut them? is there any soldering involved?
Thanks again
The LED strip itself is designed to be cut every so often. Every third light or so. I don't think it came with any connector/splices, and I'm not sure if you can purchase them.

I bought some thinking I'd need them, which I didn't. But I'm pretty sure I bought the wrong ones, as they don't look like they'd work!
post #132 of 132 Old Today, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
the harmony remotes can learn IR commands, so yes. any ir controlled light can be programmed and controlled by a harmony remote.

i did this with mine, i had no idea what brand the lights i bought were, i didn't even bother to look in the database. but it came with a little card remote and about 20 different buttons. i only programmed the ones i was going to actually use though. it takes about 5-10 seconds per button to program.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
Reviews , Accessories , Ambient

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page