post #91 of 625 Old 12-12-2007, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shash703 View Post

Hi StarDesigner,
If we order the DIY kit tom when will it be shipped?

I am sorry but not bevore the 3 week of Jan 2008.

Best regards
StarDesigner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 625 Old 12-13-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well I'm having a bit of a difficult time right now with my fabric. My fabric didn't adhere uniformly over the panel, nothing like my results in my initial tests. I think it's due to the stretchiness of the fabric unlike my original test piece. I picked this up at a fabric store that was closing shop so I paid $8.00 for 2.5 yds no biggie if I end up tossing it. What I really like about it is that it's a midnight blue color vs. black. I'm gonna try one other thing which might work. I'm gonna try to put eyelets into the edges of the fabric and basically lace it up from behind. This should hopefully give enough tension to allow the fabric to lay smooth and flat.

I already threaded and glued about half of the fibers from one of SCD units so i'm hoping to be able to work around these and make it work.

satellitecentral, have you checked Wal-Mart they sell fabric.
post #93 of 625 Old 12-13-2007, 11:52 AM

hello all.

has anyone on this thread tried using fidelio black fabric.
sandmans thread shows this being used often by alot of members with good results.
also havent tried anything yet but they also used some adhesive spray with staples to get everything smooth.
post #94 of 625 Old 12-14-2007, 09:06 AM

Yeah , I,ve tried The Evil Empire, they dont have a thing here locally in the super center
post #95 of 625 Old 12-14-2007, 04:12 PM

Has anyone installed the StarDesigner system? I'm interested but just don't fully understand how the components work together...

Is this correct?

120VAC -> transformer -> SCD controller -> multiple SCD light units -> fiber

How many of what do I need for a 12'x14' ceiling of say 950 stars?

Thanks

Mark
post #96 of 625 Old 12-14-2007, 05:54 PM

Hi Mark
I,ve ordered my kit about a week ago, I,ll be able to tell you better when it arrives.
My Frame is built ready and waiting, its 4x8 and will have 200 star,s to start with anyway
post #97 of 625 Old 12-14-2007, 08:08 PM

I have a quick question or two. I am planning on a 9X6 foot starfield and will probably use three 3X6 foot tile sections attached to a support framework. I was wondering if the sections where the tiles butt up against each other will be obvious when all the stars are lit. Will you be able to see a strip that is void of stars ?? Or does it blend pretty well. With the support structure that the tiles will be mounted too, I don't know how close to the edges I can get with the stars.

How has everyone else accomplished this ?

Thanks, Randy
post #98 of 625 Old 12-15-2007, 06:18 AM

Guys, I'm planning one of these as well (about 8' x 10'), and from most everything I'm reading, you are talking about a very high density. Most are recommending ~4 stars / ft^2 as the upper end. I have a 10' ceiling height, and so I'm figuring a bit further away = lower density for same appearance.

Oh well, time to get moving! Time to fish an HDMI cable from the basement up through a side wall, mount the projector and screen. DishHD hooked up yesterday. Got my ceiling 'tray' built to hold the battery backup (which will work well for powering the stars too). Going to have another shelf/tray up there for the controller hardware. Saturday morning awaits!
post #99 of 625 Old 12-18-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Good progress, the eyelets attached to edges of the fabric allow for me to tighten up the tension on the fabric enough with some vynil string. Once I laced it all up there was still more slack than I wanted. So I used pencils to further tighten up the pull of the vynil string I was using. Just pulled some of the strings together and spun the pencil aroud until I could pull the individual strings and hear a certain snap, I also had to pull at the fabric as I did this. I used 3 pencils total, first I did the long sides, then front to back wrapped again around the same 3 pencils.

When I lift up the panel, the cloth drops only about an eighth of an inch which is ok, nothing noticeable to the eye and when I pull the fibers through the cloth goes back to a perfect shape. Before when I was using the adhesive and the panel was hanging upside down you could see certain drops in the fabric but other areas which were flat up against the panel. With no tesion the fabric also sagged when pulling the fibers through.

I have threaded most of the fibers, I will be snipping soon and then re-use them for more stars.
post #100 of 625 Old 12-18-2007, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

what is the best length to do the final snip of the fibers without fear they would disappear into the fabric if it ever sags a bit. I wanted to go very close but I'm thinking an inch may do?

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #101 of 625 Old 12-18-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

That's my fear also tradewinds,

I read on the forum somewhere that if you snip it close, that the individual light would be a little brighter because it is more direct. Where a longer snip would make a slightly dimmer star. I plan to initially leave about 1-2 inches to make sure its long enough and then trim once in final position.
post #102 of 625 Old 12-18-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
If you look head on into the fiber is is very bright. So the closer to the panel the brighter the star seems to be. All of mine are clipped at about three inches prior to getting around to installing them. Since I have glued the fibers in place, I'm going to nip them very close prior to installing the panels. It would seem easier to clip them while the panel is down.
post #103 of 625 Old 12-18-2007, 03:09 PM

Well I know that StarDesigner is out for the holidays but I continue to refine my design. My ceiling (top of tray in my theater room) is 15'x10' and preped for the star ceiling installation.

Here is my plan at this time:
- use 1/4" hardboard panels (4'x8') with 2"x2" edge & braces.
- i will screw each panel directly to the ceiling joists then drywall tape & finish each seam.
- paint will be Behrmidnight sky - two coats over primer before drilling fiber holes + two coats after final drywall finishing
- total panels will be six (6)
- each panel will have it's own SCD and local fiber interconnected with cat-5
- one controller to drive all six SCD
- the layout will have the milkyway diagional across the ceiling crossing three (3) panels
- fiber cables for the three panels with milkyway are 120-0.5mm, 20-0.75mm, 10-1.0mm each (will a single SCD hold this load?)
- Fiber cables for the non milkyway panels are 30-0.50mm, 30-0.75mm, 10-1.0mm
- of yea, I'll tie the controller I/R into my whole system I/R network

Input... need input...

Mark
post #104 of 625 Old 12-19-2007, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally finished the front panel (fiberglass). Well, almost. Need to put some wood across the frame to sandwich the fiberglass panel in-between or it will push out when I go to install (Tip from Steve).

Pic 1
Pic 2

post #105 of 625 Old 12-19-2007, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks good tradewinds.

Marldonnaharris,

Sounds like you have yourself a plan there. I think you'll be fine with the fiber amount you indicated. My SCD units have 100 fibers and it looks like it can easily handle another 100.
Please post pics as you proceed.
post #106 of 625 Old 12-19-2007, 08:16 AM

Oman321...

What size fibers are in your 100 count bundles?

And a second question... can the illuminators be addressed individually or in a couple of groups? Say if one wanted to have a group of the stars twinkle and a second group constant on?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Mark
post #107 of 625 Old 12-19-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe the fibers are the .5mm size they could be .75 but I don't think so. I bought DIY Kit which comes with 200 stars. With the number of bigger fibers your planning on I think you'll be fine.

I connected both of my units pre-install to test out and see what they did. They both repeated what the other did. As far as I know you can't have them do different things unless you have a seperate control card. In communicating with Stardesigner and as he mentioned above there is a dongle available which includes software (or will be available) which allows you to go in and tweak the settings or programs, not sure if this might allow for such a thing.
post #108 of 625 Old 12-19-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

Star Designer's solution is not, but iSkyPanel's is.

The retail for iSkyPanel's solutoin is like $4500 for 8x8! Gimmie a break.

Of a kit kat bar.

As the exclusive North American distributor of iSky products -- I can tell you with authority and unequivocally that the list retail price for an 8 x 8 ft ceiling using surface mount 2" thick panels is not $4500 as was stated earlier in this thread! Its much lower than that. If you'd like the real pricing, please feel free to contact me. Just trying to set the record straight.

Good listening and viewing!

John Caldwell
President
Grace Motif, Inc
Scottsdale, AZ
www.gracemotif.com
tel: 480-463-4248
fax: 805-856-2212
post #109 of 625 Old 12-21-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marldonnaharris View Post

Oman321...

What size fibers are in your 100 count bundles?

And a second question... can the illuminators be addressed individually or in a couple of groups? Say if one wanted to have a group of the stars twinkle and a second group constant on?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Mark

The DIY kits animated come in 0.75mm POF and the basic white kits are 0.5mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randizzle View Post

I have a quick question or two. I am planning on a 9X6 foot starfield and will probably use three 3X6 foot tile sections attached to a support framework. I was wondering if the sections where the tiles butt up against each other will be obvious when all the stars are lit. Will you be able to see a strip that is void of stars ?? Or does it blend pretty well. With the support structure that the tiles will be mounted too, I don't know how close to the edges I can get with the stars.

How has everyone else accomplished this ?

Thanks, Randy

Just drill some holes inthe support structure too, and put some fibers in.
Just make the hole and a litle chenel so the fiber can be flush with the frame.
I will post some pictures later to show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

what is the best length to do the final snip of the fibers without fear they would disappear into the fabric if it ever sags a bit. I wanted to go very close but I'm thinking an inch may do?

i clip the fibers flush with the panels i make, and the most important thing is to use a hot needel to burn in holes from the backside so the fibers can go in easy, and cant hide anymore behinde the material. It also helps a 100% with the litle bumps what you will get when threading the fibers with out the burnd in holes. If no holes are burned just leave the fibers about 1/4 inch out and clip them.

Happy Hollydays

StarDesigner
post #110 of 625 Old 12-21-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

I believe the fibers are the .5mm size they could be .75 but I don't think so. I bought DIY Kit which comes with 200 stars. With the number of bigger fibers your planning on I think you'll be fine.

I connected both of my units pre-install to test out and see what they did. They both repeated what the other did. As far as I know you can't have them do different things unless you have a seperate control card. In communicating with Stardesigner and as he mentioned above there is a dongle available which includes software (or will be available) which allows you to go in and tweak the settings or programs, not sure if this might allow for such a thing.

The controller has already a second indipendent chanel, so you can hock up 2 main units RGBW and for example 1 or 2 twinkle units on the second chanel.
You also could use RGBW units on the second chanel to set 2 difrent colors.
The only thing what is still not in the firmware is to have the 2nd chanel do a atomatic color change. But like mentiond there will be a USB dongle and software coming out in 2008, so you can pick your firmware according to what you want to do. That makes it more flexible than ever.
post #111 of 625 Old 12-21-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

That's good to hear StarDesigner,

By channel I'm guessing you mean where you connect the cat5 wire to on the control card. I thought the first one was for the SCD units, the second for shooting stars and the last 2 for programming. So is the shooting star channel also and scd unit connection.

I need to run some more CAT 5 to my control card , that's ok the added benifits is worth it .
post #112 of 625 Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

That's good to hear StarDesigner,

By channel I'm guessing you mean where you connect the cat5 wire to on the control card. I thought the first one was for the SCD units, the second for shooting stars and the last 2 for programming. So is the shooting star channel also and scd unit connection.

I need to run some more CAT 5 to my control card , that's ok the added benifits is worth it .

The 4 cat5 conectors on the card are 4 chanels.
the first is for the standart lights, thw 2nd is for the shooting stars and the new comet. The 3rd is for Twincle and 2nd color and the 4th is used for big ceilings,
where more than 5 light units are on the 1st port to close the loop. But i will use them also for special custom jobs.

So the dongle and the firmware are required to activate your 2nd chanel.

Best regards
StarDesigner
post #113 of 625 Old 12-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Does the picture from a projector and screen reflect off the surface?
post #114 of 625 Old 12-24-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockokma View Post

Does the picture from a projector and screen reflect off the surface?

Depends on the surface, i can say that Velvet is the most light absorbent surface avalible.

Merry Chrismas

StarDesigner
post #115 of 625 Old 12-26-2007, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Continued progress,

I have run all the strands and snip them to about 2-3" inches. I wanted to see what it would look like illuminated as it stood right now. I hooked everything up and I was blown away. It looked fantastic, the Mrs. was also impressed and loved how it looked. With fibers still being longer than the finished product, some were more direct than others. Some seemed very bright while others more dim, this was a perfect effect.

I still want to run a few more fibers to some bare spots, but I don't plan to re-use all of my snipped pieces because it would look less realistic. Very exciting cant wait to get it mounted.
post #116 of 625 Old 12-26-2007, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great job Oman....I know the feeling. Got a bit ill the last few days, but hoping to put up the last panel and snip in the next two days.

post #117 of 625 Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 PM

I wanted to do a star ceiling but didn't want to mount a bunch of panels on my ceiling.

How hard is it to poke holes in your ceiling drywall and run a bunch of cables thru? Doesn't sound to hard but nobody does it this way. How come?
post #118 of 625 Old 12-30-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have access from above you can do it this way no problem. I've seen it done that way a couple of times in new room construction and attic access.
post #119 of 625 Old 01-07-2008, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got the last panel (fiberglass front panel up this weekend) done this past weekend. I must say, this came out extremely well and better than I thought.

IMG

Although the flash (which even makes the black fabric look gray) of the camera shows the seam where the two panels meet, it is not noticeable at all with the light dim, and I think once I vacuum the dusk and give the area a wipe, it should not be noticeable with the lights fully turned up. There is a lot of dust from the handling at that part and also the fibers came in a casing that had white talc powder which your can see around the where the fibers and black cloth meet.

post #120 of 625 Old 01-09-2008, 05:32 PM

Well we made significant progress on finishing my basement... more specifically my HT room over the holidays! I am in a holding pattern awaiting StarDesigner to return so that I can order & install my star ceiling.

Mark
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page