AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Massage Chairs?

42K views 64 replies 44 participants last post by  OlderNDirt 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with electric massage chairs? I've seen several in the theater setups at Fry's and Circuit City, but I haven't found much review information about them on the web.

Any recommendations on brands or best place to buy?

#2 ·
WOW, I'm in the same delima, is it really UNBELIEVABLE how hard it is to find any information or reviews on them!

i was in the process of buying a chair from brookstone, The OSIM® iMedic 380 massage chair

http://www.brookstone.com/store/prod...FSCTWAodNCr7ew

but was looking around and found this company Takemi Select Wholesale Outlet and the Takemi Diamond Select 3500 Comfort Masseuse

http://www.takemiselectwholesaleoutl...Category_Code=

now heres my problem, if i can get their top of the line chair for Takemi Select Wholesale Outlet

$1500 shipped which seems to have way more features than the brookstone

model i almost bought but unfortunately i cant find any reviews or

good websites that discuss these products, do any of you have any input on

the Takemi select brand? Heres what i found about the company on

ripoffreport.com which doesn't look good, so im actually scared to buy from

them..

http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchre...&Search=Search

I think the chair might be a sweet deal but if it breaks from what i

read on the ripoff report im pretty much screwed..anyone know of any sites

/ discussions on this topic?

With the brookstone osmi iMdeic i will be looking at:

$2000 + taxes + 259 warranty

Takemi:

$1500 total

Please input whatever you can! Please!

Thanks!

#3 ·
I just did a quick look and Costco has a number of chairs listed on their web site. The beauty of the deal is that Costco has a pretty unbelievable return policy. While they have clamped down on computers and TVs I think that there is no limit on furniture.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US

Also you can order on line and if you don't like it just return to the nearest store.

#4 ·
About the only review I could find was a newspaper review from 2 years ago. It rated a Premier brand the best (but expensive).

Another article said to compare the number of motors in the chair and perhaps the length of travel.

Fry's has a King Kong model that I try whenever I visit the store. The back massage is good, but it doesn't reach into the neck area and I'm 5'10". Also the leg massage is air driven and seems pretty useless.

I guess we need Amazon to sell massage chairs so we can get some customer feedback.

#5 ·
I have a friend who bought a takami select massage chair over a year ago. His had held up fine and he uses it for about 15 minutes 5 days a week.

It does a basic back massage with a full recline.

I tried the new top of the line Panasonic massage chair at Sharper Image. It tries to do everything. The back rolling mechanism was nice, but the arm and leg air massages seem like a waste of time and money to me. It would be nice if they sold it without those features for a more reasonable price.

Sharper Image also had another top of the line massage chair with a leg massage that electrically retracted into the chair. This way it looked like a big leather chair -- the massage was better than I expected too, but again very pricey.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by soufsidah09 /forum/post/11973449

WOW, I'm in the same delima, is it really UNBELIEVABLE how hard it is to find any information or reviews on them!

i was in the process of buying a chair from brookstone, The OSIM® iMedic 380 massage chair

URL Removed

but was looking around and found this company Takemi Select Wholesale Outlet and the Takemi Diamond Select 3500 Comfort Masseuse

URL Removed

now heres my problem, if i can get their top of the line chair for Takemi Select Wholesale Outlet

$1500 shipped which seems to have way more features than the brookstone

model i almost bought but unfortunately i cant find any reviews or

good websites that discuss these products, do any of you have any input on

the Takemi select brand? Heres what i found about the company on

ripoffreport.com which doesn't look good, so im actually scared to buy from

them..

URL Removed

I think the chair might be a sweet deal but if it breaks from what i

read on the ripoff report im pretty much screwed..anyone know of any sites

/ discussions on this topic?

With the brookstone osmi iMdeic i will be looking at:

$2000 + taxes + 259 warranty

Takemi:

$1500 total

Please input whatever you can! Please!

Thanks!

I made the mistake of buying a chair from Takemi Select. You can see my complaint (and 7 others in the past year) on RipOffReport.com . I am a new member here, so I can't provide a link to my complaint. However, if you go to RipOff Report website and search for "Takemi Select" you can see the details of my complaint, which is the latest.

Here is a summary of my complaint:

1. The features are GROSSLY exaggerated.

2 The quality of the "Massage" is marginally better than a Homedics unit costing one-third the price.

3. The "5 year, Rock Solid Warranty" is a Bull **** because they don't do onsite repairs, and make you pay shipping, which is more than the chair is worth!

4. Shipping cost to return my chair would have been $460...

Here are some details

I bought a Bodywonder 8000 for $995 March 2007. The chair was described as "zero gravity" and also described as doing "Traction" (calf massagers grip the legs during recline to stretch the back). THE PRODUCT DID NEITHER!!

The chair died after 9 months of very light use. I had to leave several messages before their so-called "customer service" responded. They told me that I would have to pay $460 to ship the chair back for repairs. That is HALF the cost of the chair, and in my opinion, more than the chair is worth.

I also don't think I should pay for shipping when the chair failed after on 9 months of LIGHT use... Keep in mind, Takemi Select proudly boasts their "5 year, Rock Solid Warranty". I'd say more like a 30 day warranty with a 4 year 11 month jelly warranty!!

After filing my complaint on ripoff report, the "President" of Takemi Select posted a message apologizing and asking me to call the company. When I did, they offered to pay HALF of the shipping charge. I did not agree, so they offered to send a replacement part that had a 75% chance of fixing the chair. I agreed to this... That was more than one month ago, I still have not received the part and they do not return my calls.

So, if you want to know what happens if the chair breaks, now you know.

#7 ·
wow ur an idiot. everyone knows that ripoffreport.com is just another cesspool of the internets.

Example:ripoffreport[dot]com/reports/0/219/RipOff0219436.htm

LOL somebody got their xbox taken away and is mad at mom. Great source of valid info, ripoffreport! (there's millions more like that, so stupid)

Anyways about the takeme chairs, i have a bro in melb.,FL and he has been to their store before. He says the message chaiirs are just liek at brookstone but for less $$. when i go visit him i will try one (my dad's turning 60 soon)... i would not believe some moron on the web if I should or should not buy something...

TRY IT FIRST. then, if you dont like, send that thing back! most companies have a return clause.

or if u have a grudge, i guess u can poast on ripoffreport, or better yet 4chan. rofl

#8 ·
Wow JPDamon.. Do you think that perhaps you could have even tried to use correct english and spelling of the words you wrote?

It honestly seems like you are a 15 year old boy who simply cannot type correctly.

The written word is powerful, but only if you use the correct words, and the correct spelling for those words. Otherwise it looks like garbage.

#10 ·
I bought one of the higher end panisonic massage chairs. Similar to the one they carry at sharper image only it didn't have the arm massage. When I was trying them out in store I found that model gave one of the best massages. When I first bought it I used it almost every day and enjoyed it. However, after a month or two I found myself using it less and less. Now, almost 2 years later, I only use it once or twice a month... Definitely have buyers remorse.

The thing you don't realize when trying them out in the store is if you get multiple massages in a day or 1 massage a day for a couple of days you start to get tender spots on your body and it doesn't feel as good.

I spent 2700 2 years ago and wish I had spent the money on some nice theater chairs instead. This is the one I have.
http://www.panasonicmassagechairs.co...U-EP3222CU.htm

#11 ·
Warning to all that I carefully researched online massage chair purchases as I am a crippled 43 male who has to basically purchase anything and everything online that I need including groceries which I happily purchase from PeaPod who has never screwed me in any way over 5 years of business.

After researching and happening across the ripoff reports online I too was apprehensive about buying the chairs that seemed as they say too good to be true. After finally deciding to make the purchase I did so over the telephone with a representative while also simultaneously fact checking and such online while asking the rep what would occur should any of the scenarios arise that I see online as complaints.

I also informed him that I was recording our conversation and then made the purchase. After about 48 hours of reflection and more research I decided to then cancel my order for a total of 1500 plus dollars and am sitting here as I type still awaiting a refund that was promised in writing and verbally within 10 days that has yet to materialize, naturally. However, little do these folks know that I am actually a quite prolific blogger who is published daily in the Chicago Sun Times.

And starting today I will be tearing these cons a new exit for their BS and have already been refunded the monies by my bank as I am one of their premier customers and they will chase down these slimes for me while I focus on costing them sales up the ying yang with my columns and web design abilities.

In closing, if they cannot even refund monies for a order canceled just imagine what other treats this company will have in store for you should you mistakenly decide to buy or attempt to buy one of their products. It's too good to be true, and look elsewhere is my advice to one and all regarding this slipshod half assed company.

#12 ·
wow has this thread gone off track. to try to bring it back on topic; I was looking at massage chairs for the HT also and found the following *relevant* info:

http://www.humantouch.com/ht-1650.html is a fancy pricey chair that looks like a normal Ht chair/recliner.

http://www.humantouch.com/ht2580.html this model sits very low to the ground and when reclined could probably be seen over by a normal recliner chair.

http://www.massage-chair-relief.com/ and http://www.massagechairs.com/ has some more info.

anyone else try any of these or actually use one in an HT or media room?

#14 ·
Purchase a chair using a major credit card (amex) and if the company trys a fast one dispute the charge. Takemi makes a decent product and I am sure they have sold thousands of chairs. I do not belive a few disatisfied customers that post on ripoff reports.com or whatever it is should be the final judgement.

I have owned a Sensa roller table I purchased from takemi and it is fine and I have had it for over 2 years without issue. Made in China what isn't these days...

#17 ·
I've had good luck with Panasonic chairs but I've never sat in massage chair that I considered to comfortable enough in which to watch a movie.

#18 ·
I find on internet general good review on Panasonic EP1272KL chair, listing at $1999, but can be had for $1299.00 at some site. I am seriously looking at buying this chair, or the next step up, EP30003 for $2295. But you are right, there are not much user review out there, and there are no dealer here in northern california where I could test the chair, Their listed authorized dealer brookstone no longer carry Panasonic and Sharper Image folded.

Frustrating. Anybody has some input? By the way, Panasonic chair has the American Chiropractor Association endoresment, which is a plus.

#21 ·
I know a lot about massage chairs...I used to run stores that featured the category. I learned enough that I actually bought a brand that my company did not carry (despite a big employee discount). Here's how you keep from going wrong:

- never shop based on features. It is a good way to completely confuse yourself. In other words, beware the Inernet only brands. They pretty much all suck...and the support will suck too!

- shop based on how they FEEL after a COMPLETE session in the chair

- go Japanese. There are only 3 brands worth considering: Inada, Pansonic, Sanyo. You're at risk with the others. I know this first hand, and I will say "I told you so" when you tell me your sob story

- If your ready to get the best, go with Inada. You may not have heard of them, but they are the promised land of massage chairs. From what I can tell, all the major brands have pretty much resigned themselves to always fighting for 2nd place. But (again) if you stay Japanese, you'll be OK

- if you're shopping on price, get ready to be burned. I'd suggest saving up. Remember the $79 DVD player you bought because of price. How's it doing for you? How many times have you replace it? Now think about how much fun it is to piss away $1000 on a massage chair that is "as good as the Japanese chairs". Again, don't make me say "I told you so"

- buy from a STORE. They will match prices (usually) ad you'll have someone local to turn to should something go wrong.

Good luck to all!!!

One last thing...Panasonic is developing a "cheap and cheerful" line of massage chairs. These are NOTHING like their $5000-ish models. If you want a serious massage chair, stay away from the "junkier" line up!

#24 ·
Yes, I had the opportunity to sit in all of the massage chairs at the Spring Furniture Market in High Point, NC. I can tell you that they were all nice and gave a very good massage. I have also tried out Human Touch and know they offer a good massage as well. For the money and the warranty included with the Berkline massage chairs, they are an excellent value. There are several models that go up in price and offer additional features. I will probably be purchasing one for myself before the end of the year.

#25 ·
It's not true. The electromagnetic fields aren't a problem, and your baby probably gets more vibrations from your walking around all day than from your sitting in one of these chairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.