AVS Forum banner

LED Lights

96K views 237 replies 104 participants last post by  caper_1 
#1 ·
ive seen and read somewhere here on the use of LED behind the display (mine is a LC46D46U) and i think i like it.

has anyone tried a DIY LED lighting solution? i saw one at costco last sunday, forgot what its called. (started with C.. dont know if its cryco, cryon or what not.. cant remember) but i was hesitant to get it because i wanted something that would automatically light up when the display is in use and i was not sure if the particular LED light i saw did this.

any ideas guys?

thanks.

#178 ·
They just recently revised the remote to include more features. Maybe that's why they ran out? Couldn't tell ya... I believe the site goes by 3 or 4 different names as well (i.e. barlighting.com)

The admins seem to answer questions about their products fairly quickly and a few users have posted pictures/reviews of their kits and they seem happy with it.

#179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikDragon /forum/post/18276954

I ordered the 4 strip kit with remote from ledlightingkit.com for my 46" LCD.

I ordered them on Friday the 5th. I just received notice that they are back ordered and are supposed to ship out around the 15th of this month.

As soon as I get them, I'll post some pics and give you my opinion.

I look forward to your impressions. Be sure to post pics.

#182 ·
I picked up the IKEA Dioder's and are no where near as bright as the poster in the previous page.

I would say somewhat similar to this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15820067

but even that seems a bit brighter than what I am experiencing. Different rooms = different results I guess.

I purchased four separate strip pack (not the circle ones) and they output about 4-5 colors. You can set it to automatically cycle the colors, remain one constant color or have them slowly build up and cycle the colors.

There are two flavors - all white or multi color. In the multi color pack, there are two colors that are close to a white color but no "pure white".

If I can figure out how to take a pic in the dark I'll post one.

My $.02

#183 ·
I have a friend with the Dioders and they look nice. I would have gotten those but the kit from ledlightingkit.com has a remote, more functions, and it's only $10 more.

The ones with the brick wall as a background would seem darker based on that alone. The ones on this thread with what seems to be a white background look way brighter.

The trick with taking dark shots is to shoot with a low shutter speed and use a tripod (or rest the camera on something, a box, bed, chair, etc). Trying to shoot in the dark with low shutter speeds and holding it by hand usually makes the pics blurry.

I got my confirmation for my ledlightingkit.com kit yesterday so they should be here any day... Plenty of pics to come!

#184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikDragon /forum/post/18321873

I have a friend with the Dioders and they look nice. I would have gotten those but the kit from ledlightingkit.com has a remote, more functions, and it's only $10 more.

The ones with the brick wall as a background would seem darker based on that alone. The ones on this thread with what seems to be a white background look way brighter.

The trick with taking dark shots is to shoot with a low shutter speed and use a tripod (or rest the camera on something, a box, bed, chair, etc). Trying to shoot in the dark with low shutter speeds and holding it by hand usually makes the pics blurry.

I got my confirmation for my ledlightingkit.com kit yesterday so they should be here any day... Plenty of pics to come!

great, I look forward to seeing them.

#185 ·
Got the package today. It only took 2 days from the day I got notified about being back in stock to the day I got them delivered.

Unfortunately I got to snap 3 pics before the camera crapped out. I'll have to borrow the roomies camera tomorrow for the installed lighting pics.

I'm not posting pics of the actual install process because it couldn't be any easier...put adhesive strip on LED strip, attach to TV, connect to distribution block, done. There are also some brackets included for more installation options.

The kit is pretty bright...but the remote allows for dimming of the lights. The functions look very nice (the flashing feature is seizure inducing
)

The kit is definitely worth the purchase.

Here are the pics I was able to take:

Here is the sealed package as it looked when I took it out of the USPS box:

Here are the contents of the package:

This was a quick test to make sure the lights worked before installation. The strips are pointing in random directions:

I'll try to post some pics/movies tomorrow of the different colors and functions of the kit. Once again, the kit is excellent and definitely worth the purchase!

#191 ·
Ok guys, here are pics of some of the colors. They came out kind of dark. The glow is a bit brighter than the pic shows. Also, those LED "flares" right next to the TV are not as bright as they appear.

Remember, you are able to dim the color via remote.

This is the pure white. It looks like I removed the color from the pic, but the pic was not altered other than resizing.

I'm going to try to work on some vids to show the other functions.

#192 ·
Hey Guys,

I ordered the ledlightingkit.com kit last Monday and it came in on Wednesday. So I gotta commend these guys on their shipping. Super fast via USPS. I'm basically gonna give you guys my own mini review.

In short its a simple, elegant and bright solution for your display's ambient or bias lighting needs. The package comes with 4 LED strips, four cables, two daisy chain cables, one hub, a control unit with IR sensor, AC adapter, strips of double sides tape, and mounting brackets.

It was a very simple install. I have my 58" Sammy Plasma on a low profile mount; So as per some recommendations I read on the forum found on ledlightingkit.com, I used double sided tape to mount the lights in a box as close to the center of the back of my TV as possible. The strips weigh almost nothing, I'm confident the mounting tape will hold these indefinitely. I used the actual rails of the TV mount to mount the side lights and placed the top and bottom strips on the back of the TV. I was sure to place the strips away from the edge's of the TV to avoid a dense splash of light (Sorry for the made up vocabulary). Four strips, one cable per strip going from the lights to a central hub, central hub plugging into control unit, control unit plugged into wall via AC adapter, then tiny IR sensor placed where it'll pick up a remote being pointed at it. Some heavy lifting and a few zip ties later I was done.

So how do I feel about it? Well its freakin awesome. The lights work well, they are bright and the kit allows you to choose from over a dozen different colors with the ability to further modify the shades. So if that orange or even white isn't quite the right shade or temp you can change it with the included remote. You can dim the lights, with I believe 8 different levels of brightness. The range of customization in color seems infinite; definitely more than adequate. There are also other functions that blink and fade different colors of light but these are more distracting than anything else. I have not found these to be programmable. So the colors in the mix are set, one of a 3 light change (red green blue) and the other is seven.. I'm not quite sure what those colors are. Again these can be set to fade or blink and the speed can be adjusted.

For you Logitech Harmony users this kit is not in the Harmony's online database but like any IR remote the commands can be taught to the Harmony and custom button layouts assigned. I have done so, it works flawlessly. My lights come on automatically with the hit of my Watch Movies activities button. Super geek points on that one! haha.

For 60 bucks its a killer deal, I'm happy. Oh and I'm not affiliated with this company in any way. Its just something Ive been obsessing about for awhile and thought about it long and hard before I pulled the trigger. Highly recommended. Pictures to follow soon.

#195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas /forum/post/18355494

great pics, I like the way it turned out for you.

Seems like the lights on the sides are a bit more difficult to see than the ones on top and bottom.

Thanks for the compliment!

The lights at the sides are a bit closer to the center than those on the top and bottom, thus the top and bottom lights looking a bit more focussed. This was the only option as placing the top/bottom lights closer to the center would have just channeled the light between the mounting rails anyway.

#197 ·
Got my led light from elemental led today and love how bright it is

#200 ·
I ordered 2 days ago, have yet to receive any sort of confirmation from them other than my Paypal confirm

Sent an email to see what's up

ps. WhoMe14 - can you submit a ticket to Harmony to get them to add the remote codes to their public database? Since you have learned them, they are in their database already, they just need to be made aware of it to properly add it for all to use

#201 ·
Sorry for the slow response. I never got a confirmation from their web site directly. I got a paypal confirmation email and then a paypal shipping confirmation with USPS tracking.

I will do my best to submit my codes to Logitech. Between school and class time is tight! hah. Ill let you know how that goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.