LED Lights - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 238 Old 12-03-2007, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ive seen and read somewhere here on the use of LED behind the display (mine is a LC46D46U) and i think i like it.

has anyone tried a DIY LED lighting solution? i saw one at costco last sunday, forgot what its called. (started with C.. dont know if its cryco, cryon or what not.. cant remember) but i was hesitant to get it because i wanted something that would automatically light up when the display is in use and i was not sure if the particular LED light i saw did this.

any ideas guys?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 238 Old 12-18-2007, 12:58 PM

I plan on doing the same, but hidden in somewhere in the componenets box on the stand, so thata blue glow shines on the Blu-Ray player, etc.

I find that the best way to do this is to use computer moding cold cathode lamps or led strips...

These PC mods require a 4pin moelx connector (the usual forma PS inside a PC)... so you will need an AC to DC Adapter, 110v AC to 12v DC converter (Molex) convertor.

and then any PC cold cathode or led "pc lighting" kit will work.

I'll post wiht links soon.
post #3 of 238 Old 12-18-2007, 01:11 PM

OK.

Got ya the links...

first you'll need

1)The Wall Power to Molex convertor:
AC to DC Adapter, 110v AC to 12v DC converter

you can power up to 4 or 5 lamps with one of these, as molex connectors can usually be daisy-wheeled...

2) Then choose whatever you want to use as a light source
you can use:

i) A Flexible Led Light Strip

or
ii)Cold Cathode Lamp

Both work awesome...
Cold Cathode looks beautiful when you use two lamps one on each side, so you get a fade effect i.e. from blue to red, etc...
While Led strips can be adapted to any shape or form...

just make sure that the lamp is not exposed, and all that you can see is the glow from the lamps, else, the lamp is very bright, and direct eye contact with the lamp will cause your TV to look dimmer and mess up the whole cinema experience

Have Fun!

Cheers.
post #4 of 238 Old 12-18-2007, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

thank you very much for the inputs. i will consider doing the same thing as you did.

right now though im still having issues with my display that it will have to be replaced. once i get the replacement with no issues with it, ill be trying our project.

where did you get the converter do you have a link?

thanks.

ooopss sorry. just found the link.
post #5 of 238 Old 12-18-2007, 06:26 PM

Anyone got a pic of this effect?
post #6 of 238 Old 12-19-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithjo View Post

Anyone got a pic of this effect?

The effect I'm aiming for will be sort of like this:

see how the components comaprtment is illuminated by the indirect light?

That's the goal :P
post #7 of 238 Old 12-19-2007, 01:59 PM

also, most amplifiers have a power-in, power-out so you might be able to connect the molex converter to the amplifier so that when you tun on the amp, the lights turn on,

else most cold cathode kits come with an on/off switch and you can also have them respond to sound, so that they turn on to the sounds they perceive, but this might be a bit too much disco effect heh
post #8 of 238 Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Fig View Post

The effect I'm aiming for will be sort of like this:

see how the components comaprtment is illuminated by the indirect light?

That's the goal :P

wow thats a cool setup!
post #9 of 238 Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 PM

Liked: 13

Seems pretty cool! I looked them up online:
http://cyron.com/Merchant2/merchant....tegory_Code=HT

The Costco price seems to beat out anywhere I have found online... esp. because the Costco bundle includes 6 light bars.

-Cam
Television Photojournalist, Video Producer, Voice Over Artist
Cam Communications Cinema Palace Construction Thread
Cam's Whole House AV and Automation Thread

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #10 of 238 Old 12-27-2007, 05:59 AM

I saw these a while ago, too. Just like videocam posted, the Costco price seems like a good deal. I bought a set and will install them later today. I'll post back with the results.
post #11 of 238 Old 12-27-2007, 05:06 PM

I installed the leds. Very happy with the way they look and the different colors available. There's even an option where the lights change with the sound.

I installed one led bar on each side, one on the top and one on the bottom, where I have the Xbox 360 and Wii. I may end up removing the top one, though.

After taking a couple of quick pictures, I noticed the left side bar was not aligned correctly, so that's why the light output seems to be less.

If anyone wants to see other colors, lmk.

Green light with the TV off:

Green light with the TV on:

Blue light:

White light:

post #12 of 238 Old 12-27-2007, 05:19 PM

I have a question. Doesnt that affect the way you see the picture? what I mean is that I read that putting a white backlight behind the TV and then adjusting the color's-gets you a better picture....Did you all have to change your settings onyour TV?

Where you come from - Is gone. Where you thought you were going - Was never there. And where you are, aint no good unless you can get away from it.
post #13 of 238 Old 12-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videocam View Post

Seems pretty cool! I looked them up online:
http://cyron.com/Merchant2/merchant....tegory_Code=HT

The Costco price seems to beat out anywhere I have found online... esp. because the Costco bundle includes 6 light bars.

Where in Costco were these LED lights? I'd like to know so that on my next visit, I go there directly to pickup a couple of sets.

Thanks in advance for the information!!!
post #14 of 238 Old 12-27-2007, 07:05 PM

My Costco seems to move things around every week. They were in the area with the tool boxes and outdoor lights last time I was there. Just write down the number on the tag (202476) and take it to customer service... they should be able to tell you if it is in stock.

-Cam
Television Photojournalist, Video Producer, Voice Over Artist
Cam Communications Cinema Palace Construction Thread
Cam's Whole House AV and Automation Thread

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #15 of 238 Old 12-27-2007, 07:33 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 536
See the big asterisk in the upper right hand corner of the price card. Sometime in the past I was told that means that it is a temporary item and when the supply on hand is gone there is no expectation that additional units will be available.

It probably also means that you won't find it at every store.
post #16 of 238 Old 12-28-2007, 05:30 AM

I didn't feel the need to calibrate the TV again after installing the leds, though I only tried them with the Xbox 360 last night. This weekend I'll see if the display needs adjusting with a movie, since I like different settings for each one.

I forgot to mention you can "select" the brightness of the leds, since you can pause them at any time during the color transition. So if you prefer more or less light, you can have that too.

And just as videocam posted, one Costco near me had them in the tools/lights section (near the flashlights), and another one had them next to the TVs and wall mounts.
post #17 of 238 Old 12-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've got the light bars and another solution that I made. I developed another controller for them that a) has IR remote b) has "presets" c) allows you to independently adjust the R-G-B components d) has an 'off' mode. With it, you need neither the controller or power supply (though you would need to supply power with some converter).

Would anyone else have any interest in it?

Thanks
post #18 of 238 Old 12-30-2007, 12:47 PM

I just found these in my Antioch, CA Costco. They were located in the same area as the other AV accessories. Was very easy to set up and they look real good.

I have a rear projection DLP.. so my only gripe is you can see the right light bar from the side (not hidden like on the back of a plasma)... so I plan to only have mine on during tv viewing.
post #19 of 238 Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

any pictures of what you guys are talking about? is this the same as the one I saw in costco? they are about 12.99 per pack and it contains 3 circle lights that you can put under the kitchen cabinets they are going to be 3.00 less on Jan 07. I was gonna get some but not sure if this is the one you guys are talking about.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #20 of 238 Old 01-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

any pictures of what you guys are talking about?

If you look up a few posts you'll see both the lights @ costco in the package and the effect that some have gotten. They are linear, not those little circle under-cabinet things you are thinking of.
post #21 of 238 Old 01-03-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymanme View Post

If you look up a few posts you'll see both the lights @ costco in the package and the effect that some have gotten. They are linear, not those little circle under-cabinet things you are thinking of.

Thanks,

Sure they look nice though...

Peter
post #22 of 238 Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 AM

I really need to stay away from this forum. I had previously used the led strips found at Ikea and they worked very well behind my TV. About the same price as the Costco version but contained 4 strips instead of 6 like the Costco version. So of course I stopped by at lunch and grabbed them. In my Costco they were located in the hardware aisle with the light bulbs. I would think they should be located with the TV's and accessories as someone had seen at another Costco.

I'll use the additional two LED strips under the TV stand. I tried this originally with the Ikea strips and liked how it made the stand look like it was floating.

What will this forum help me spend money on next?!
post #23 of 238 Old 01-04-2008, 04:52 PM

Here are some pics to compare the Cyron (Costco) LED strips with those from IKEA.

IMG_1451 -The Cyron strip is on the right side in the picture. IKEA strips at top and left side.

IMG_1452 - Same setup with side lights lit. IKEA strips on top and left .

IMG_1454 - Same setup with side lights lit. IKEA strips on top - Cyron on right.
LL
LL
LL
post #24 of 238 Old 01-06-2008, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I just bought 1 set of these, I am planning to put them in my riser, just like ropelight. sort of steplight or under my berkline hometheater seats.

for those who bought these did you guys tried music mode where there is a built-in microphone and sensitivity adjustment pulsates and changes light and color with sound.
what is your reactions to it.

Thanks,
Peter

Peter
post #25 of 238 Old 01-07-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

...for those who bought these did you guys tried music mode where there is a built-in microphone and sensitivity adjustment pulsates and changes light and color with sound.
what is your reactions to it.

Thanks,
Peter

I've played with the music mode but found it pretty annoying. The blue lights just flash until it reacts to a sound. Then it seems to flash various colors at random. I was expecting more of a color organ like feature. Red for highs, blue for mids, and green for lows, for example.
post #26 of 238 Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post

I've played with the music mode but found it pretty annoying. The blue lights just flash until it reacts to a sound. Then it seems to flash various colors at random. I was expecting more of a color organ like feature. Red for highs, blue for mids, and green for lows, for example.

Thanks,
Mine is still packed I will have time to try it tonight, do you know if you can change the color manually? or it is defaulted to blue light? I thought the same thing I thought it will react to music. based on what you said it sounds like a christmas light. I hope we can choose color if we want it steady.

Peter
post #27 of 238 Old 01-09-2008, 08:09 AM

The controller provides a number of color sequences as well as the sound activated mode. The two color sequences are fade and snap. The basic difference between the two is that the snap mode fades one color before the next. So the color fades up and down completely and then the next color begins. The fade mode allows multiple colors to be lit at the same time. So, for example, blue fades up and then red fades up so that both are on at the same time. There is a pause button that allows you to pause either mode and lock the color. It is a little time consuming because if you are trying to pause on one color you have to wait until the sequence gets to the color. And re-pressing the pause button starts the sequenct all over again.

The IKEA version allows you to click to the color you want.
post #28 of 238 Old 01-09-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post

The controller provides a number of color sequences as well as the sound activated mode. The two color sequences are fade and snap. The basic difference between the two is that the snap mode fades one color before the next. So the color fades up and down completely and then the next color begins. The fade mode allows multiple colors to be lit at the same time. So, for example, blue fades up and then red fades up so that both are on at the same time. There is a pause button that allows you to pause either mode and lock the color. It is a little time consuming because if you are trying to pause on one color you have to wait until the sequence gets to the color. And re-pressing the pause button starts the sequenct all over again.

The IKEA version allows you to click to the color you want.

The way you described it. It sounds perfect while watching movies imo.
Can't wait to install it I just started building my riser and this led lights will go around it.

Peter
post #29 of 238 Old 01-09-2008, 12:16 PM

It works very well. I'm using the SNAP mode as it allows me to control not only the color, but also the brightness. I just press the PAUSE button when the blue LED's get to the brightness I want. I just bought another set to add lights to the stand shelves.
post #30 of 238 Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I picked these up at costco last weekend to put under the crown on my bar. I'm still confued as to how to change the different modes...and most importantly, how to get it to pause on the "white" light. I know they mention that "white" is all three colors on at the same time, but I cant seem to get all three colored led's to come on the same aount at one time. Can anyone poat a quick set of setup instructions for changing through the colors and different options?? The instructions that came with them are pretty vague.

Thanks.

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page