Movie Posters - Best Place to Buy and Frame Them? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-29-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone. My wife and I are starting to pick out movie posters. We'll likely start with 6, but get more and rotate them. We're on somewhat of a budget.

I check allposters.com and movieposter.com (there's also a movieposters.com), which has lots of posters on sale for $5-$20ish, which is great, but the prices jump to $150-$200 or more framed with plain black. Allposters had some that you can buy in a ready made frame for about $40 or so, but they only fit certain sizes and we want the frames to match.

What do you all do? I was thinking about buying just the posters and then bringing them to an art supply place (we have Michael's in Atlanta), but I'll have to check the prices first. $150+ x 6 is $900, which is a new receiver.

Please tell me if you have a solution that's less expensive but that looks great. I'd like to use a non-glare glass or plastic.

Also, I'm using Hsu 1220 subwoofers which will dust your walls (literally). So I'll need to secure them at 4 corners. Has anyone done that and how?

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-29-2007, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Search for frames on this forum and you will come up with a lot of studd. Moviegoods.com has a lot but tends to be a little expensive. It looks like you are looking for reprints. I personally love originals and for a lot of them they are available at similar pricing.

Whichever way you end up going I would advise you to go with eBay. You will save money on the prints.

There is a great site to see almost any movie poster ever made in the "Post your favorite movie posters" thread on this same sub-forum. You will have a heck of a time tracking a lot of them down but you could spend ages looking through them figuring out what kind of artwork you want.

I will also say that you are not as likely to change out the posters as you think and most frames don't handle it well anyways. Stick to one or two sets. I say this with ~200 original posters (including many older more valuable ones) that I have never put up.

As far as getting nice frames at low prices I would REALLY advise you to check out FrameUSA.com I LOVE the frames I got there. I was going to go to Michaels during a 70% off sale and got an estimate of $120 each (regular price $375?? REALLY???). I got the exact frames at Frame USA for $35 a piece. It is supposed to be for wholesale seller but you only need to spend $100 (you will be well over that at 6 frames).
post #3 of 17 Old 12-30-2007, 09:08 AM

If you really want to do this on a budget, check out your local Walmart. They sell movie poster frames there. To get the posters, check out your local Mom & Pop video rental stores. They usually give away or sell the promotional posters that they get with their movies.

When I bought my frames, I bought them from FrameUSA. I'm extremely pleased with the quality. They were a little pricey, though.

You can probably spend as little or as much as you want on this. All depends on what your budget is.

I usually change my posters out on a quarterly basis. For example, christmas theme, summer theme, halloween theme, etc. You get the idea.

To secure my frames to the drywall, I use the Command Strips sawtooth hangers. I use 2 hangers per frame, and I think each one was rated for 5lbs. I've had no issues with them staying on the wall. The frames are probably only 1-2 lbs each. I like the fact that there are absolutely no nail holes in my drywall.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 AM

I purchased some fantastic aluminum poster frames from displays-to-go.com They snap open and closed so I can change the posters from time to time, yet still look professionally framed. I remain impressed with them 2 years later.

---
HD-DVD (Tosh A3) & Blu-Ray (PS3)
Home Theater rocks!
post #5 of 17 Old 01-04-2008, 09:15 AM

If you have a Michael's craft store in your area they have pretty decent frames you can pick up for $20 on sale (regularly $40). They're a plain black frame with sort of a plexi plastic that doesn't look bad. Nothing fancy but I have a few in my man room and they look pretty good. I'm sure the Walmart frames are ok too, I've heard they are, I just never shop at Walmart.

I usually buy the posters on ebay. Ends up being $20 w/ shipping for most posters. Unless they're a giant poster or a sought after one. I bought my dad a 9ft tall Elektra and that was about $100. And I spent $60 on dark Spiderman. Otherwise they go for $20 when you get a 27" x 40".
post #6 of 17 Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have bought ~250 posters from eBay. I often buy several from each seller to cut down on shipping costs but I would be I haven't gone over $20 for more than 10% of my posters. Shipping is prohibitive but you should be able to find most for far less than $20 each.

There are several recommendations here. The Walmart/Michaels/Suncoast are passable but certainly the lowest quality. ~$20 a piece and plastic. I started with those but upgraded pretty quickly. For ~2X as much you can get really high quality stuff. I'll try to remember to post some pics. I have each of them.

The problem with these is that they aren't designed to change posters out. On all the other discussed frames they have those little tabs that will break or fall out with too much use. The ones Brocken mentioned are front load frames that are designed to change out posters frequently. They look nice (I would argue not quite as nice as some fixed, but certainly not bad) but are more costly than any of your other options. Next time you go to the theater take a look. They are almost always these types of frames.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Post pics!

I'm looking to get about 6 posters as well, preferably framed, for a new theater room I'm thinking about ....

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-20-2008, 03:50 PM

If you plan to change out your posters often, I think it's best to buy a decent flip out frame. Yea, they cost a little more but it is worth the convenience. I have bought (7) Bass LOC Poster frames and really like being able to change whenever I want with no hassle of taking down the frame, taking the backs off, & putting it all back together. I can swap a poster out in about 2 minutes. They are permanently mounted to the wall and the four sides flip out.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-20-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 107
For previous info (and there's a lot of threads on posters and frames) go to advance search, use the title search only option (drop down box below search word window). Make sure to highlight this forum from the list to the right. Obivously, "frame, frames, posters, poster" would be a separate search for each word. Pural is necessary for a separate search. You don't want to miss out on what's already been discussed/written.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
New lower price : Anthem MX-510 Receiver (awaiting payment) & ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iver-sale.html
post #10 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 05:52 PM

I know this post is a little old but I am about to purchase some frames from FRAMEUSA as some of you have suggested. There are a few types of frames such as Metal and Polystyrene (cheaper) ... Just curious as to if there is a really big difference in polystyrene to metal and if spending the extra $ is worth it
post #11 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
allposters.com

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #12 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #13 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

I also use the Black Corporate Wide frames from that site for my posters. I have been very pleased with the frames and in fact I just ordered 5 more.

-T.Wells
post #14 of 17 Old 11-18-2008, 02:40 PM

post #15 of 17 Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Greetings Lads,
I ordered 13 frames from framesusa.com on Mon, Dec 29. I received my confirmation and a projected ship date of Jan 16. More than two weeks seems like a long time. Do they custom manufacture each order?

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

What we have heah...is a failyah to communicate.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where can I get rare poster like the Spiderman 3 and Dark Knight lenticular posters?
post #17 of 17 Old 01-03-2009, 03:12 PM

You could always pick a poster and transfer it to canvas like they do here:

http://www.shopforart.com/Frameshop2...1&sid=8448&p=2
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page