post #181 of 302 Old 03-31-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Hmmm, sometimes I think the dialog is too low. Maybe its just my old ears. Love the series though

I know what you mean. I find myself hitting the closed captioning button more and more. My problem is the result of some recent audio tweaks in my living room. I repositioned six of my seven speakers and have been experiencing dialogue problems. It certainly can't be my hearing.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 302 Old 03-31-2008, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Scherrer View Post

I read McCullough's 1776 and I frequently felt throughout that one that it would make a fantastic series.

I didn't know this was on - got to check it out. Replaying?

Edit: Answering my own question:

Parts one and two on tonight at 10pm Eastern.

1776 is suppose to be next. Same group, Hanks and HBO.

Jerry
post #183 of 302 Old 03-31-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Perhaps with good ratings, new subscriptions and brisk DVD sales-- this could pave the way for similar programming.

Probably not going to make much of a difference on subscriptions. It holds pretty steady whatever they do. We'd like to think there was a big exodus from HBO after they canned Deadwood, Carnivale, and Rome, but there really wasn't. They won't pick up too many because of this series either.

And they'll never achieve brisk DVD sales until they stop pricing them twice as expensively as other TV series DVD sets, most with many more episodes. Can't understand what they're thinking with the price structure they've established.

But the bottom line is, they make money hand over fist so they're not likely to listen to anything we say anyways.
post #184 of 302 Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I am really enjoying this show and the intro and ending music and credits reminds me of Deadwood.

I agree. Like Deadwood before it, the show looks beautiful and demonstrates an almost obsessive attention to period detail. Last night's episode was especially impressive, some of was so stunning, I was blown away. I understand that HBO accomplished that with a combination of location shooting in Colonial Williamsburg and Budapest, augmented by CGI, for the crowd shots I assume. In any event, it was bloody beautiful!
post #185 of 302 Old 03-31-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree. Like Deadwood before it, the show looks beautiful and demonstrates an almost obsessive attention to period detail. Last night’s episode was especially impressive, some of was so stunning, I was blown away. I understand that HBO accomplished that with a combination of location shooting in Colonial Williamsburg and Budapest, augmented by CGI, for the crowd shots I assume. In any event, it was bloody beautiful!

One of the best pieces of effects work, in my opinion, is the work done at the audience with King George.. the entire scene, except for the immediate backdrops against John and the King inside his chambers, was all green screen.... from the first shot of JA inside the building on the staircase, the floors, walls, everything...

BTW, the next Playtone/HBO co-production, and exec produced by Steven Spielberg, will be the 10 part mini-series "The Pacific" about WWII.
post #186 of 302 Old 03-31-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That's the quasi Band of Brothers followup isn't it?
post #187 of 302 Old 03-31-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

That's the quasi Band of Brothers followup isn't it?

Yes.
post #188 of 302 Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl1718 View Post

1776 is suppose to be next. Same group, Hanks and HBO.

Sweet! My vision (FWIW) would be to make it a three season arc, with the three main battles described in the book as the season finales of each season: The battle of Boston (which turned out to not be a battle at all, but VERY intriguing how the colonials won it); the battle for New York second (where the colonials got their A$$es handed to them; and the battle for Trenton third (made famous, of course, by Washington Crossing the Delaware and the sneak attack on Christmas againt the Hessians). Just great stuff.

But I understand the constraints, and would happily accept the lmioited number of epis like the Adams miniseries.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #189 of 302 Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

And they'll never achieve brisk DVD sales until they stop pricing them twice as expensively as other TV series DVD sets, most with many more episodes. Can't understand what they're thinking with the price structure they've established.

Coincidentally, as posted in Fred's HOTP thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13524005

Quote:
John Adams, starring Paul Giamatti as the founding father and second U.S. president, streets June 10 as a three-DVD set at $59.99. (so probably $39.99 at best buy....lol). No blu-ray plans yet.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #190 of 302 Old 04-01-2008, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

I'm not American, but anyone else get the chills when Washington was being sworn in?

I did. They did a really good job of conveying what it must've been like to be there at that moment in time. I also very much enjoyed the conversation between Adams, Franklin and Jefferson in Paris when they were talking about the basics of what their new government should be.

Pics from my TV
and
post #191 of 302 Old 04-01-2008, 04:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Coincidentally, as posted in Fred's HOTP thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13524005

That's not too bad. Maybe they're learning.
post #192 of 302 Old 04-01-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

One of the best pieces of effects work, in my opinion, is the work done at the audience with King George.. the entire scene, except for the immediate backdrops against John and the King inside his chambers, was all green screen.... from the first shot of JA inside the building on the staircase, the floors, walls, everything...

That's remarkable! I was able to identify some of the CGI but I had no idea that Adams' audience with King George scene involved any electronic magic.

Quote:

BTW, the next Playtone/HBO co-production, and exec produced by Steven Spielberg, will be the 10 part mini-series "The Pacific" about WWII.

I am looking forward to that, Spielberg does good work. If The Pacific comes anywhere close to the standard HBO set with Band of Brothers, it should be great. I have the Band of Brothers DVDs and have watched them many times. It's one of the best miniseries ever made, in a class with Lonesome Dove.
post #193 of 302 Old 04-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

"John Adams, starring Paul Giamatti as the founding father and second U.S. president, streets June 10 as a three-DVD set at $59.99."

As much as I admire this series, I suggest you guys get the Pulitzer winning book it came from. Much more rich detail and historical insight. And somewhat cheaper than the discs!

Mike Rife

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

post #194 of 302 Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRinDenver View Post

As much as I admire this series, I suggest you guys get the Pulitzer winning book it came from. Much more rich detail and historical insight. And somewhat cheaper than the discs!

I second the motion. I bought David McCullough's book when it came out in 2001 and loved it, although less so than his magisterial, Truman. McCullough's book and this show go together like strawberries and cream.
post #195 of 302 Old 04-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow, that's just amazing! Sure, CG can be fun when you have fantastic "only in a computer" things happening, but it's more impressive when you don't even realize it's there.
post #196 of 302 Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The scene between Adams and a quivering (with hurt feelings) King George was absolute movie magic, with or without the special effects...

Robert Clark
post #197 of 302 Old 04-02-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I loved the King George scene. What a politician Adams was. Top notch acting too.

I get many chills just of the sight of George Washington and the man he was. The sworn in scene was very goosebumpy. A fine program indeed, sir.
post #198 of 302 Old 04-03-2008, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

When posters question the "real" character v the "historically represented" character of the FF's (based on 21st Century cynicism), I would suggest that they consider that the American Revolution was, if not the only, one of a small handful of revolutions in History, that did not consume itself in a bloody struggle for dominion.
By the efforts of oratory and persuasion, this blood drenched struggle for dominance was postponed for a generation (first the British, then ourselves), and settled by a stronger, continent-wide nation at the cost of 600,000 American lives.
That the Revolution survived its success is a remarkable feat, made possible by remarkable men.
That the American Nation was granted such men, at such a time, was an amazing bit of fate, or luck, or divine providence.
I mean, what other nation guarantees the right "to pursue happiness" in its founding documents.

I have been particularly moved by the reading of the Declaration of Independence, and the long silence after the vote to separate.
I to got chills watching the inauguration of Washington, especially understanding that this man could have created any titled position he wanted for himself.

RMc---y
Available
post #199 of 302 Old 04-03-2008, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you serious!? I couldn't even tell! Kudos to you guys for such a great job!
post #200 of 302 Old 04-03-2008, 04:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansri88 View Post

Are you serious!? I couldn't even tell! Kudos to you guys for such a great job!

In the companion piece, "Making John Adams" they show the process of the staircase and the Throne Room. The staircase is really 3 still pictures of the actual staircase taken by one of the CGI crew with a green screen staircase. As JA is waking up the green screen staircase, they "reveal" from green screen stage to finished scene and it is breathtaking. They show JA walking into a green screen room and the reveal is the finished Throne Room scene. It is truly amazing.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #201 of 302 Old 04-03-2008, 06:00 AM

Do you or anyone else knows when this will come out on HBO? I was such a HUGE fan of Band of Brothers that I really really can't wait for The Pacific.
post #202 of 302 Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierlifer View Post

Do you or anyone else knows when this will come out on HBO? I was such a HUGE fan of Band of Brothers that I really really can't wait for The Pacific.

I know post sound is going to start later this year and go into 2009, so I would venture late spring, summer 2009.....

I'll see what I can find out
post #203 of 302 Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmccamy View Post

I to got chills watching the inauguration of Washington, especially understanding that this man could have created any titled position he wanted for himself.

Then you'll love the prologue of Episode 5
post #204 of 302 Old 04-03-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmccamy View Post

That the Revolution survived its success is a remarkable feat, made possible by remarkable men.
That the American Nation was granted such men, at such a time, was an amazing bit of fate, or luck, or divine providence.
I mean, what other nation guarantees the right "to pursue happiness" in its founding documents.

I have been thinking about this since I started watching John Adams. What the Founders accomplished was nothing short of a miracle, brought about by a once-in-a-millennium confluence of brilliance and sheer, bloody, good luck. As one of my favorite philosophers, Barry Switzer, once put it, It's better to be lucky than good.
post #205 of 302 Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I have been thinking about this since I started watching John Adams. What the Founders accomplished was nothing short of a miracle, brought about by a once-in-a-millennium confluence of brilliance and sheer, bloody, good luck. As one of my favorite philosophers, Barry Switzer, once put it, “It’s better to be lucky than good.”

Don't discount the fact that they had a prosperous, educated, enlightened, civilized populace, relatively speaking, that mostly came from the same country they were rebelling against. That's a good kernel from which a democracy can grow; we've seen up close how tough it is to duplicate when a majority of your population thinks God wants them to keep living in the 12th century. And a loooong supply line for the Brits had a lot to do with it too.
post #206 of 302 Old 04-04-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quick recap of JA for those who missed any episodes...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hKX1bvU02Us

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #207 of 302 Old 04-06-2008, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Weekly bump. The camera was really at an angle tonight.

Moreover, the sound of insects buzzing in the background was realistic to the point of scary considering it's spring in Texas.
post #208 of 302 Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Don't you just want to sqeeze those white headed pimples on his nose? God only knows we are being subjected to extreme closeups for over an hour each week. Didn't they have mirrors back then?

Watching this in HD on a 120" screen and the camera shaking and having difficulty refocusing is really starting to piss me off. Artistic Effect my hiney. The wife and I actually became a tad queezy a couple of times last night trying to follow the picture. The spectacular settings in this film are being ruined by the stupid camera angles and shaking.

Randy

post #209 of 302 Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Wonder how much that election cost....
post #210 of 302 Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

Watching this in HD on a 120" screen and the camera shaking and having difficulty refocusing is really starting to piss me off. Artistic Effect my hiney. The wife and I actually became a tad queezy a couple of times last night trying to follow the picture. The spectacular settings in this film are being ruined by the stupid camera angles and shaking.

Sadly, "shaky-cam" seems to be a technique that's only getting more and more exposure, which entrenches it all the more insidiously as a legitimate tool in the director's toolbox. There are times when it's effective, but it's been vastly overused and that trend seems to be accelerating.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page