The Official AVS 2008 Ten Commandments on ABC in HD Topic? No. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 03-18-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
monkey3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know if it will be in HD this year, or will I be watching my superior SD version?
monkey3d is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 54 Old 03-18-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's never been in HD yet, but hope springs eternal.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #3 of 54 Old 03-18-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 5,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Not listed as HD and hasn't been an HD transfer in past years, so I don't expect any change this year.
I got the special edition DVD a few years ago and its still better than the ABC broadcasts.
Joxer is offline  
post #4 of 54 Old 03-18-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
monkey3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

Not listed as HD and hasn't been an HD transfer in past years, so I don't expect any change this year.
I got the special edition DVD a few years ago and its still better than the ABC broadcasts.

yeah thats my thought... i transferred it from my dvd to another medium, and now i don't have to deal with dvd swap...
monkey3d is offline  
post #5 of 54 Old 03-20-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mikepier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island and Upstate NY
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For those of you who remember, last year's thread on this topic raised a question how this movie was about Passover and not celebration of Easter.
Now I'm confused.
mikepier is offline  
post #6 of 54 Old 03-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
 
JamesDax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, that makes sence. It really is more about Passover then Easter.
JamesDax is offline  
post #7 of 54 Old 03-20-2008, 05:40 PM
 
townofturley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

For those of you who remember, last year's thread on this topic raised a question how this movie was about Passover and not celebration of Easter.
Now I'm confused.

What are you confused about, specifically? First, ask yourself what the movie is about.
townofturley is offline  
post #8 of 54 Old 03-20-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mikepier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island and Upstate NY
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

What are you confused about, specifically? First, ask yourself what the movie is about.

I always thought this movie was based on Roman Catholic religion, till someone brought to my attention it is more about Passover. I'm just confused why they are showing it at Easter rather than during Passover.
I'm not trying to compare religions, I'm just trying to find the logic.
mikepier is offline  
post #9 of 54 Old 03-20-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

I always thought this movie was based on Roman Catholic religion, till someone brought to my attention it is more about Passover. I'm just confused why they are showing it at Easter rather than during Passover.
I'm not trying to compare religions, I'm just trying to find the logic.

It's a religious movie. Easter is a religious day.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #10 of 54 Old 03-20-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
srw1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

I always thought this movie was based on Roman Catholic religion, till someone brought to my attention it is more about Passover. I'm just confused why they are showing it at Easter rather than during Passover.
I'm not trying to compare religions, I'm just trying to find the logic.

I always thought The Ten Commandments was broadcast in conjunction with Passover, also. This is one of the rare years that Easter and Passover are not on the same weekend.

Odd.

Scott

srw1000 is online now  
post #11 of 54 Old 03-20-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
srw1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

It's a religious movie. Easter is a religious day.

True, but it would seem a little off to show Christmas movies this weekend.

Back to the subject of the forum, though. This movie just begs to be shown in HD!

Scott

srw1000 is online now  
post #12 of 54 Old 03-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Next we'll get Battlefield Earth on Christmas Eve.
CPanther95 is online now  
post #13 of 54 Old 03-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Newbie
 
Kebis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

I always thought this movie was based on Roman Catholic religion, till someone brought to my attention it is more about Passover. I'm just confused why they are showing it at Easter rather than during Passover.
I'm not trying to compare religions, I'm just trying to find the logic.

The whole Easter story is supposed to take place during Passover (The Last Supper being the passover meal and all that), so I think that's why they show it at Easter every year.

Now as to why Easter and Passover both move every year, but aren't always at the same time, I have no idea.
Kebis is offline  
post #14 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mikepier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island and Upstate NY
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebis View Post

The whole Easter story is supposed to take place during Passover (The Last Supper being the passover meal and all that), so I think that's why they show it at Easter every year.

Now as to why Easter and Passover both move every year, but aren't always at the same time, I have no idea.

I don't know about Passover, but I know Easter falls on different dates every year depending when the first full moon of the year is (or something having to do with the moon's cycle.)
mikepier is offline  
post #15 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
petergaryr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St Johns, FL
Posts: 6,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Would love to see TTC in HD and a clean color corrected print.

As for the date of Easter:

"After several centuries of disagreement, all churches accepted the computation of the Alexandrian Church (now the Coptic Church) that Easter is the first Sunday after the first fourteenth day of the moon (the Paschal Full Moon) that is on or after March 21 (the ecclesiastical vernal equinox)". (or so Wikipedia says).

It is extremely early this year and it will be the year 2160 when Easter lands on March 23again.
petergaryr is offline  
post #16 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mikepier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island and Upstate NY
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Would love to see TTC in HD and a clean color corrected print.

As for the date of Easter:

"After several centuries of disagreement, all churches accepted the computation of the Alexandrian Church (now the Coptic Church) that Easter is the first Sunday after the first fourteenth day of the moon (the Paschal Full Moon) that is on or after March 21 (the ecclesiastical vernal equinox)". (or so Wikipedia says).

It is extremely early this year and it will be the year 2160 when Easter lands on March 23again.

Thank you for the clarification.
mikepier is offline  
post #17 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
petergaryr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St Johns, FL
Posts: 6,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

Thank you for the clarification.

petergaryr is offline  
post #18 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Marcus Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Baltimore City
Posts: 8,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks. I've put in a leave request for the Monday after.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Marcus Carr is offline  
post #19 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 17,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Next we'll get Battlefield Earth on Christmas Eve.

That movie about Higher Powers intervening in our mortal lives always moves me to tears. Lots of tears.
archiguy is offline  
post #20 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MickeyGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Boston area
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebis View Post

The whole Easter story is supposed to take place during Passover (The Last Supper being the passover meal and all that), so I think that's why they show it at Easter every year.

Now as to why Easter and Passover both move every year, but aren't always at the same time, I have no idea.

The film, "Ten Commandments", essentially follows the story of Moses and his liberation of the Jews from slavery in Egypt and their exodus from Egypt. The Jewish holiday, Passover, celebrates that event. So the movie is ususally shown in conjunction with the Jewish holiday, but not actually Easter. Easter is tied to Passover since Jesus was in Jerusalem to celebrate Passover at that time, ultimately leading to the crucifixion and resurrection. Some believe the Last Supper was in fact a Passover Seder.

This is certainly one of those films that begs to be transferred to HD.

Mickey
MickeyGee is offline  
post #21 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
jason10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, "The 10 Commandments" plays a lot better with the kiddies than "Last Temptation of Christ" or "Passion of the Christ"

Plus Charleton Heston was the guy who taught Chuck Norris how to be tough.
jason10mm is offline  
post #22 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 17,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post

Plus Charleton Heston was the guy who taught Chuck Norris how to be tough.

Nah, Heston was a certifiable, nut-job gun-nut (I still remember him waving a rifle around at an NRA convention here in Charlotte right after Columbine. Creepy.) Chuck dispatches bad-dudes with his deadly hands and feet. I like Chuck's approach better. (plus, he was a scream at those Huckabee rallies)
archiguy is offline  
post #23 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Berk32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UWS NYC
Posts: 4,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Both Passover and Easter use a lunar calendar.

The reason why Easter comes out on "The first Sunday after the first fourteenth day of the moon that is on or after March 21" is because 99% of the time - that is the Sunday during Passover (Passover starts at sundown of the end of the 14th day-start of the 15th day of the month of Nissan on the Hebrew Calendar).

Now the question you will have is: why is Passover a month from now...
The Hebrew calendar has a set formula to calculate leap years - (certain holidays have to occur during certain seasons... such as Passover during Spring) In order to properly make up the days - and entire month is added 7 times in 19 years. (It's explained fairly well here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_...ar#Leap_months). So this year - a month has been added.

Have i made it more confusing?

(o and the bring things full circle: the name Easter is derived from the Greek name, Pascha which is itself derived from Pesach, the actual Hebrew name for Passover.)

I'd love to see this in HD someday
Berk32 is online now  
post #24 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 4,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

(o and the bring things full circle: the name Easter is derived from the Greek name, Pascha which is itself derived from Pesach, the actual Hebrew name for Passover.)

I'd love to see this in HD someday

Another possibility for the name "Easter" is "Eostre", the Anglo-Saxon goddess of Spring...... (thanks to the Jeopardy calendar )

This movie begs to be HD on a really large screen at the redone (1989) version of 2:20...

Bobby 

bobby94928 is online now  
post #25 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyGee View Post

This is certainly one of those films that begs to be transferred to HD.

+1. If the broadcast this Saturday was to be a remastered true HD version, the odds are that ABC would have said so and someone here would have picked up on that. That they haven't is a strong sign that this Saturday's broadcast will be the same poor SD quality presentation they have been doing for years. ABC must pull the same video tape off of a shelf every year and shows it. With this much over-acting and over the top Cecil B. DeMille production, this movie should be in HD and in whatever the OAR really is (imdb lists 1.85:1 for original release and 2.20:1 for the 1989 remaster).

People ought to bug ABC about fixing this so next year - if not this year - they show it in proper HD.
afiggatt is offline  
post #26 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Madison, Alabama
Posts: 2,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's the story of how Moses went from an rescued child of Isrealite parents to one of the Egyption hierarchy, back to a son of Isrealite parents, to chosen deliverer of the 12 tribes of Isreal, to the formation of the Jewish preisthood, which eventually becomes a corrupt league of ordinary human beings guided by their oversized, ego-maniacle positions in Jewish society. The preisthood is the basis for why God sent Jesus to earth - to show mankind a better way of living. Worship the Lord, not by animal sacrifices for atonement of sin, but by kindness and love for one another. So, yes, "The Ten Commandments" is the prelude to the events of why we celebrate Easter.

Wolfie
Wolfie is online now  
post #27 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Berk32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UWS NYC
Posts: 4,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Another possibility for the name "Easter" is "Eostre", the Anglo-Saxon goddess of Spring...... (thanks to the Jeopardy calendar )

This movie begs to be HD on a really large screen at the redone (1989) version of 2:20...

I was just quoting wikipedia
Berk32 is online now  
post #28 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
romanesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hoboken
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Nah, Heston was a certifiable, nut-job gun-nut (I still remember him waving a rifle around at an NRA convention here in Charlotte right after Columbine. Creepy.) Chuck dispatches bad-dudes with his deadly hands and feet. I like Chuck's approach better. (plus, he was a scream at those Huckabee rallies)

Since Chuck is not able to defend himself, I'll do it for him. The Supreme Court will soon be putting to rest the idea that the citizenry must rely on their hands and feet to defend themselves.

And Chuck was right. The citizen does not and will not lose the right to defend themselves and their family because someone else has done something bad.
It doesn't work like that. And more guns stop crimes than commit them, by far.

But don't let logic get in the way. It hasn't in DC and they have the most restrictions anywhere. And the crime wave that goes with it.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
romanesq is offline  
post #29 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mikepier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island and Upstate NY
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

+1. If the broadcast this Saturday was to be a remastered true HD version, the odds are that ABC would have said so and someone here would have picked up on that. That they haven't is a strong sign that this Saturday's broadcast will be the same poor SD quality presentation they have been doing for years. ABC must pull the same video tape off of a shelf every year and shows it. With this much over-acting and over the top Cecil B. DeMille production, this movie should be in HD and in whatever the OAR really is (imdb lists 1.85:1 for original release and 2.20:1 for the 1989 remaster).

People ought to bug ABC about fixing this so next year - if not this year - they show it in proper HD.

I guess it would not be as simple as popping in the DVD at network studios and broadcasting in HD,right?
And how do they turn a movie that was 1:85 into 2:20?
mikepier is offline  
post #30 of 54 Old 03-21-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is headed nowhere fast.....

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off