post #91 of 236 Old 01-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Agreed... part of the appeal IS the absurdity... and all those obscure 1980s movie references!

Indeed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 236 Old 01-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Wednesday night's episode of Psych on the USA Network starring John Cena drew 4.4 million viewers.

Awesome!
post #93 of 236 Old 03-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Wow. Finally got to watch the finale. That may be the best overall episode the show has done to date. A great little mystery with a ton of amazing Hitchcock homages. You have to Roday credit with the fantastic writing, acting and direction. Jules crying killed me. I can't wait for the next season, argh!

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #94 of 236 Old 06-29-2010, 04:14 PM

Liked: 10
sorry for the bump, but JudgeSmails, we only need to wait two more weeks! Psych is coming back on July 14!! I can't wait!
post #95 of 236 Old 06-29-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinstonWolf View Post

sorry for the bump, but JudgeSmails, we only need to wait two more weeks! Psych is coming back on July 14!! I can't wait!

Its also an extra long episode ~6 minutes?

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #96 of 236 Old 07-18-2010, 12:44 PM

So Psych fans, did you catch the season premiere last Wednesday? I'm working with USA Network and want to know what you thought of "Romeo & Juliet & Juliet"...isn't it so awesome to have Shawn and Gus back in your life??
post #97 of 236 Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

I thought the opener was OK but all that fake kungfu nonsense with lousy american actors was cruddy. No triad group would have such cruddy tattoos like the ones you showed, or acted so ridiculously.

Next time get some real Hong Kong actors and make Shawn less of an a** to foreigners.
post #98 of 236 Old 07-20-2010, 01:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

I thought the opener was OK but all that fake kungfu nonsense with lousy american actors was cruddy. No triad group would have such cruddy tattoos like the ones you showed, or acted so ridiculously.

Next time get some real Hong Kong actors and make Shawn less of an a** to foreigners.

You do know what show you are watching, right? if you are watching Psych for any pretense of realism you are missing the point.

I thought the action scenes were fine and Gus and Shawn's ignorance with Ken was great. I hope Ken comes back - "My parents run a Best Buy."

Dule Hill as "Discrimination Lawyer" was hilarious.

post #99 of 236 Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 329
The Ken running gag, and the Discrimination Lawyer bits were the best parts of the show. In general I prefer the show go beyond the murder of the week formula so the general premise of this episode was good. The execution lacked something.
post #100 of 236 Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

The Ken running gag, and the Discrimination Lawyer bits were the best parts of the show. In general I prefer the show go beyond the murder of the week formula so the general premise of this episode was good. The execution lacked something.

I really wished they had gone all the way and made this Big Trouble in Santa Barbara. They hinted at the episode being one of those homages they do with the alternate titles, but it never quite got there even with the fight sequence.

Still, I find most Psych episodes pretty weak constructs, but really they are just an excuse to find funny scenarios to put the characters in.

If Shawn and Gus had a Great Dane this would be live-action Scooby Doo. They've already had haunted houses, ancient mummies and werewolves on the show.

Has a mysterious janitor appeared yet?

post #101 of 236 Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I do not think they have done the janitor, but they did have the sneaky captain a season or two ago.
post #102 of 236 Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Still, I find most Psych episodes pretty weak constructs, but really they are just an excuse to find funny scenarios to put the characters in.

Well, yeah...

Just like pretty much every Arnold Schwarzenegger film is an excuse for him to carry an insanely large gun and say "I'll be back..."

Quote:

If Shawn and Gus had a Great Dane this would be live-action Scooby Doo. They've already had haunted houses, ancient mummies and werewolves on the show.

Has a mysterious janitor appeared yet?

Actually, I think a Great Dane would be awesome to have on the show...especially when they ride around in that tiny little car.
post #103 of 236 Old 07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Just like pretty much every Arnold Schwarzenegger film is an excuse for him to carry an insanely large gun and say "I'll be back..."

That reminds me of my own personal joke from many years ago... it goes something like this:

Arnold & Sly Stallone are talking about a movie wherein they will portray famous composers.

Sly: Ok, you will be Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and I will be Johann Sebastian Bach.

Arnold: Nooooo! Ah'll be Bach!

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #104 of 236 Old 07-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
I am an unabashed Psych fan and I really enjoyed the season opener. Now, the hard part was following the amazing season finale last year which was one the smartest, funniest and overall best TV episodes I have ever seen. Seriously. Some may scoff at that but when you look at how well it incorporated the Hitchcok mythos into the "standard" Psych storyline you'll feel the same way.

Anyway, back to the opener. It was good, not great. Lawyer Gus was one of the funniest things the show has ever done however. It had a lot of good lines (John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt and Shawn claiming to be part Asian for example) and was overall a very enjoyable episode but not one of the best. It was obvious from the start that this was a "forbidden love" story so that disappointed me a bit as I expected more from the show. It is a good start to the season and I really look forward to the rest.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #105 of 236 Old 07-21-2010, 03:15 PM

So great to see all the Psych love here! Who stuck around to see the PsychOuts? They may have even been the best part of the episode. Watch those and get primed for another new episode tonight!
post #106 of 236 Old 07-21-2010, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAnetwork View Post

So great to see all the Psych love here! Who stuck around to see the PsychOuts? They may have even been the best part of the episode. Watch those and get primed for another new episode tonight!

Probably not your department, but why is the transmission bitrate so crappy on USA Network? I watched Covert Affairs last night via Comcast and there was a lot of pixelation is various scenes but especially in the closing scenes after the cabin explosion. Especially on moving objects/people in the foreground. My first thought was that it was Comcast because they re-compress this channel and also change it back to MPEG2 from it's MPEG4 source, but I then checked my DIRECTV recording and it exhibited the same pixelation in the same scenes. So either it's NBC/UNI jamming the channel with too many others on the same transponder, or both DIRECTV and Comcast are compressing the crap out of the signal. At this point I'm leaning toward NBC/UNI as that is what they have done in the past.
post #107 of 236 Old 07-21-2010, 05:09 PM

Psych is always great
post #108 of 236 Old 07-22-2010, 04:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Dule Hill's turn to show off some stage skills. At least he wasn't singing for no particular reason, which is such a self-promoting cliche now.

Not my favorite episode. There was some potential with the partner switch but they didn't really capitalize on that with any good jokes, but any episode which gives Timothy Omundson more screen time is welcome in my book.

No Ken this week so I guess he was a one episode character.

post #109 of 236 Old 07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't read anything about this... but it really hit home last night with Dad being involved in the police-work and no Kirsten Nelson...

I'm starting to think the hiring of Shawn's Dad to coordinate in the police dept was actually a way to have Nelson's Chief character less prominent.

She wasn't on last night's show at all.

post #110 of 236 Old 07-23-2010, 08:39 AM

Dule is quite the talent with those crazy feet, isn't he? You can see more of him in action in this PsychOut.

And what did you think of Timothy Omundson's "rapping"? Hilarious right?
post #111 of 236 Old 07-29-2010, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Haunted houses, mummies, werewolves and now ...

UFOs and Fred. A great dane is just around the corner.

I don't remember who wrote this one but it had some great throwaway gags. I particularly liked the fact that Shaun realized Gus could see the same clues he could all this time.

The "I've got a clue face" was a genius acknowledgment. In that it turned what was previously just the show's stock camera shot into a funny self-referential visual gag. I didn't laugh at those moments previously but once they pointed it out the close-up was funny for the rest of the episode. Especially when they intentionally overused it.

Freddy P was a nice addition too. He fit right into the mix. His wife is someone they should have back on the show too.

Also funny, Kurt Fuller as the semi-regular coroner.

"Stay creepy."

post #112 of 236 Old 07-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

I enjoy Psych and Shawn's character but it should do more serious storylines and enough of the crazy women being the bad guys.

Seems like every episode a women committed the crime.
post #113 of 236 Old 07-29-2010, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Seems like every episode a women committed the crime.

You mean like they've done with the one episode this season?

I don't know where you are pulling these sweeping generalizations from, but it just gives the impression that you don't actually watch anything you are referring to.

post #114 of 236 Old 07-30-2010, 07:38 AM

Wasn't Freddie Prinze Jr. pretty stellar as the closet nerd? Anybody else agree with VisionOn that he fit right in the mix? Here's a great blurb from io9 about his guest spot on the show. Hope you enjoy it.
post #115 of 236 Old 07-30-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I hope they can get Freddy back as a recurring character. The cloak he was wearing while he and Gus were playing video games at the end was hilarious in its own right.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
post #116 of 236 Old 07-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You mean like they've done with the one episode this season?

I don't know where you are pulling these sweeping generalizations from, but it just gives the impression that you don't actually watch anything you are referring to.

They do it almost every episode. From Mickie James, To Seaworld, to yin/yang killer, ect.
post #117 of 236 Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They do it almost every episode. From Mickie James, To Seaworld, to yin/yang killer, ect.

This season they've done it once out of three episodes. Which is neither "almost every episode" or "every episode."

And out of sixty six episodes you've only manged to name three times they've done it.

Why not complain that the murderer is always a man? The odds make that more likely.

post #118 of 236 Old 07-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This season they've done it once out of three episodes. Which is neither "almost every episode" or "every episode."

And out of sixty six episodes you've only manged to name three times they've done it.

Why not complain that the murderer is always a man? The odds make that more likely.

I guess you don't watch the show enough at least 60-70% percent of the time they catch females.
post #119 of 236 Old 07-30-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I have to say... I'm pretty sure I'm watching the same show as VisionOn... and not the one Lone Wanderer is watching.

I really don't remember any kind of preponderance of women criminals on the show. I'm sure if there were more than a 50/50 split of female criminals that would stand out enough for me to remember.

post #120 of 236 Old 07-31-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Just now caught the last episode, it was hilarious. I'm still laughing. I absolutely rolled when Shawn called Gus a bastard. There were too many scenes to count that had me practically rolling in the floor.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page