Psych on USA - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 236 Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The last second insertion of Frank (Shatner) at the end seemed forced and not part of the rest of the show.

Voyager6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 236 Old 03-10-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 496
I saw Shat in the opening credits so I thought he would be more integral to the story. I was wondering how he would feature when there was only five minutes left.

My guess is that he has limited availability or the show is building up to a Shawn and Gus Meet The Proposal finale and they want to integrate Shat as much as possible, so they can make his finale appearance have some weight.

post #183 of 236 Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Depending on the shooting schedule they may have shot that scene at the same time as his full episode appearance the last time.
post #184 of 236 Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No one caught the new episode the other night?

Just as funny as always. Had a couple of laugh out loud moments.
post #185 of 236 Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I watched it, apart from the Lethal Weapon references I didn't think it was very funny.

The show is always at its weakest when it tries to be dramatic, especially when it's combined with the usual stupidity, but the beard gag was dumber than usual and that didnt contrast well with Shaun trying to be angry and emotional.

post #186 of 236 Old 03-05-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Shaun seems to be taking silly to outright stupidity, which for me isn't nearly as funny.
post #187 of 236 Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Shaun seems to be taking silly to outright stupidity, which for me isn't nearly as funny.
I prefer a little more subtle humor rather than the "beat you over the head with it" jokes.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #188 of 236 Old 03-10-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I enjoyed this week much more than last week. Quite a few funny moments such as Lassister and Shaun making out, making fun of Gus' track record with killer women, Shaun having "The Talk" with his dad ...

I was also impressed that Shaun actually grew slightly as a character by realizing he was living with his parents and deciding to move in with Juliette. Hopefully Gus keeps a girlfriend for a few more episodes too. Having proper relationships with girls might move things in some new comedy directions.

Although next week it's back to Scooby Doo crime solving as they hunt Bigfoot. Not that I'm complaining.

Maggie Lawson in her little blue dress. That is all. biggrin.gif

post #189 of 236 Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It is far too late to be doing Blair Witch jokes but thankfully there were enough meta gags (black bars) and other little moments (I thought Gus tripping at the beginning was funny) that the episode just about carried the scenario to the end. Even if it was blindingly obvious it was Big Show out hunting in a ghillie suit from the very first sighting.

Roday did a decent job with writing and directing and he gave Maggie Lawson a fun new character dimension.

It turned out well, considering nearly everyone got shot. biggrin.gif

post #190 of 236 Old 03-15-2013, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
They do silly really well. I mean, you have to like silly... but if you like silly, this show and these actors pull it off.

Strangely... they also can pull off serious. As much as I like the silly, I like the episodes where they give us some serious moments.. the ones that show these are actually competent people who like to have fun, but are capable of handling actual serious situations.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #191 of 236 Old 03-15-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I was tough on the season opener, but the Bigfoot episode was a fun romp. Kate ran away with the show. I want to see more of her.
post #192 of 236 Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As TV stunts go I don't recall seeing this done before:

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/psych/features/100episode/vote.html

This may get me to watch live. I'm wondering if this will work out without a hitch if they are tallying up the votes in the final commercial break.

post #193 of 236 Old 03-23-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

As TV stunts go I don't recall seeing this done before:

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/psych/features/100episode/vote.html

This may get me to watch live. I'm wondering if this will work out without a hitch if they are tallying up the votes in the final commercial break.

This feels/seems familiar... I would swear I've seen the choose-your-ending done before on TV. I could be wrong, though.

But it should be easy to pull off, as they obviously have all of the endings filmed and they can probably have the files queued up for transmission and just need to flip the right switch for that one to go out live.

I would guess/assume the eventual DVD set would give us all the different endings.

I don't really like these kinds of gimmicks, though, because it means the rest of the episode has to be written in a way that leaves it all open until that last segment... which means the writers get to write a show that doesn't really logically follow any particular path. It's billed as a "get involved fans!" moment, but it is really a cop-out kind of moment from a writing perspective I always feel.

Think football, when they say... if you have more than one QB then you have no QB. IF you have multiple endings, then you have no ending.

post #194 of 236 Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
And if you're anywhere but the east coast time zone you don't get to participate in these gimmick airings, so you guys back east better choose the right bad guy! biggrin.gif
post #195 of 236 Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not convinced that was legit.

They eliminated two suspects on the show before the ending, so they didn't have to film those and when you voted there was no indication of the current voting results, so you could never tell if they showed the most popular ending or just the intended version all along.

Tomorrow they are showing an alternate version online.

post #196 of 236 Old 03-28-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:

I'm not convinced that was legit.

They eliminated two suspects on the show before the ending, so they didn't have to film those and when you voted there was no indication of the current voting results, so you could never tell if they showed the most popular ending or just the intended version all along.

Tomorrow they are showing an alternate version online.
Honestly, from the first announcement of this stunt, I figured they could just pick one and pretend to let the audience decide right from the very beginning. Who would know?

Even if they showed "real time" voting results, those can be faked. Anyone can animate a meter or a graph.

Call me cynical, but shows like American Idol have shown that audience voting can be fudged one way or another just in how you calculate it in order to achieve the result that will generate the best outcome (or best "twist") for the show.
post #197 of 236 Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Apparently East Coast and West Coast voted for different endings. Both are up now.

http://www.usanetwork.com/videos/Psych/Web%20Exclusives/vid:2635398

post #198 of 236 Old 04-04-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This season so far has been lacking the usual spark in general. This week was okay but not great. I did laugh at the Pitfall moment and I enjoyed Woody make an appearance. I'm a but more optimistic about next week's homage to The Hangover because the last time Woody, Lassiter and the guys had an adventure it was pretty funny.

post #199 of 236 Old 04-04-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked this week's episode WAY better than last week's.

post #200 of 236 Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Huh, that's an ending I did not expect in what was typical Psych hijinks. Nicely played by Roday even if Juliette's moment of epiphany seen to come from out of nowhere.

post #201 of 236 Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I didn't expect that either. On the other hand, I guess I just assumed that Juliette knew about Shawn's "gift" being as close as they are, at least more than anyone else knows. That's a pretty darn big secret to keep from the person you profess to love. Maybe the writers felt it was time to shake things up, and that would certainly do it.
post #202 of 236 Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Huh, that's an ending I did not expect in what was typical Psych hijinks. Nicely played by Roday even if Juliette's moment of epiphany seen to come from out of nowhere.

Yeah... her sudden "hey, maybe it isn't magic after all" moment seemed a little forced, but that seemed like a flaw in the script really... Roday really sold the tortured-soul reaction there where he kind of knew that telling the truth was what he should do BUT also knowing that telling the truth would probably be bad for their relationship.

I was beginning to wonder when they would get around to it, though... it seemed like they had to address the elephant in the room at some point so that he wasn't making a fool of her by continuing to lie while they were growing their relationship.

post #203 of 236 Old 04-12-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
And we're supposed to believe that she didn't know or suspect what his "gift" was for the last year or so?
I always gave her more credit than the writers seemed to think we did.
I figured it was a lot of "banter" between them.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #204 of 236 Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I might have said to Jules something like: "If I walk like a duck, quack like a duck and look like a duck, am I not a duck?"

Interesting Juliette came to the conclusion while drinking. In her mental and soberless state, I wonder if she throws herself at the first person she can find for revenge.

Lassiter started the series convinced Shawn was a con-man and is now totally convinced otherwise and Jules is the exact opposite.

Last thought: Could this be the final season, as there seems to be a lot of 'growing up' themes going on..

Voyager6
post #205 of 236 Old 04-13-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72

^ A renewal was made for a very short number of episodes. Less than the normal 22.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #206 of 236 Old 04-14-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I was also blindsided by the ending of what was a pretty funny episode. I thought the whole fake psychic thing was put the rest a couple of seasons ago when the rich guy who pretended to be psychic just so he could solve cases.
post #207 of 236 Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The last couple of episodes I thought were pretty forgettable but I thought this week had some funny scenes and surreal moments like the acoustic song that went on far longer than I thought it would. Shawn and Gus destroying the crime scene was nicely played farce and the reactions of everyone when they had to play along was fun too. The episode lost steam before the end but the death of Sally the security officer was an unexpected moment.

Gus throwing cheesy puffs at Woody made me laugh. Kurt Fuller always looks as though he's having a great time playing Woody.

post #208 of 236 Old 05-10-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah... this was a good example of the silly/farcical side of Psych done well.

I think they do the flat-out silly very well... and I think they do the serious very well also. Where the show seems to flounder, at times, is when they try to do what I guess they think we want... in a "normal" show... and it doesn't work. I think the actors do the extremes very well, but the traditional doesn't seem to work... or maybe that's just me.

post #209 of 236 Old 05-11-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

This season I feel they have gone too far with flat-out silly. For instance, the beard and clothing disguise they shared at the gun range. Any sane person running that range would have thrown them out at first sight. I feel the people who interact with Gus and Shawn need to be minimally competent for the gag to work. Otherwise they're rewriting the laws of the universe. smile.gif

post #210 of 236 Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Giving Corbin Bernsen something to actually do on the show as a rival detective is a good move. Pity they took so long to think of it and made that useless consultant role for him.

Meta product placement this week. Better than just shilling someone else's product though.

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page