Psych on USA - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 236 Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I'm worried a little about next week Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Is Kristen Nelson off the show?
... but like the possibilities of LOTs of self-references and references to another old USA show... and I liked the "he sang our theme song" gag in the teaser for next week.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 236 Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looks like a new season started the other night.

I was quite surprised to see a 2 hr episode called Psych: The Musical saved on my DVD.

Haven't watched it yet though.

Sounds like it could be a ripoff of the Scrubs: The Musical, but that was a great episode.
post #213 of 236 Old 12-19-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72

The musical was a special, the next season starts in late Feb I believe. 

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #214 of 236 Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Jan. 8th for the new season. The musical was a special (sort of) held over from the last season. The rumors had suggested that it was going to be part of the last season but it was held back for a stand alone episode.

Musicals are not my "cup of meat" so the FF button got a workout.
ltownsend likes this.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #215 of 236 Old 12-20-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 497
The continuity of the show screwed me up. Juliet still believing that Shawn was psychic left me very confused and I kept trying to remember if last time we saw her she had been hit on the head and suffered amnesia.

I dont mind these musical concept episodes but the Psych version felt much too long. The songs were few and very spread out. Making this just a slightly extended episode would have tightened things up considerably. Gus in the end scene was the best moment for me.

post #216 of 236 Old 12-20-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post

Sounds like it could be a ripoff of the Scrubs: The Musical, but that was a great episode.

Scrubs was just another in a long line of Very Special (musical) Episodes. So they were not doing anything new.

post #217 of 236 Old 12-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I like this show, but that episode was terrible and way too long. Only thing funny was the "Janet, dammit" line.
post #218 of 236 Old 01-04-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I am a fan of musicals... but this one fell flat to me.

post #219 of 236 Old 01-04-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I haven't watched it as I'm not really a big fan of this type of episode. Was there any ongoing plot movement, something I'll miss going forward if I don't watch this episode?
post #220 of 236 Old 01-04-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I haven't watched it as I'm not really a big fan of this type of episode. Was there any ongoing plot movement, something I'll miss going forward if I don't watch this episode?

It was retroactive plot movement, since it was set somewhere in the middle of last season. One guest character does die but I had forgotten about them anyway.

post #221 of 236 Old 01-04-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

It was retroactive plot movement, since it was set somewhere in the middle of last season. One guest character does die but I had forgotten about them anyway.
Great, thanks!
post #222 of 236 Old 01-09-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The continuity of the show screwed me up. Juliet still believing that Shawn was psychic left me very confused and I kept trying to remember if last time we saw her she had been hit on the head and suffered amnesia.

I dont mind these musical concept episodes but the Psych version felt much too long. The songs were few and very spread out. Making this just a slightly extended episode would have tightened things up considerably. Gus in the end scene was the best moment for me.

I finally got around to watching the musical episode last night. Another continuity problem was when Yang was doing some kind of Christmas number and some character commented that she had no idea what time of year it was. Considering the episode aired on December 13, doing Christmas songs was totally apprrpriate. The episode was definitely too long, best line was Gus' pickup attempt on Elisa when she is wearing only a towel coming out of the shower. Something to the effect of "that Pluto business is really messed up, huh?"
post #223 of 236 Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The musical episode continuity really screwed my memory of last season. I completely forgot Lassiter was demoted and I had to go and look up what happened.

It's fortunate that the show is a comedy because Gus' comment about how the episode could have been in British Columbia just about saved what was a laughably poor attempt to make it appear as if they were in London.

post #224 of 236 Old 01-12-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The musical episode continuity really screwed my memory of last season. I completely forgot Lassiter was demoted and I had to go and look up what happened.
Did Lassiter have that much grey hair last season? I don't remember him being so grey.
post #225 of 236 Old 01-12-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It seems the musical should have taken place between episodes 6 and 7 (7th season) according to Wiki.
Sounds more like a move that a broadcast network would do.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #226 of 236 Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a weird season...

Starts with a musical that was "held over" from last year...

Then an episode where they are out of the country and pretty much none of the regulars around...

Then an episode that should be current season with Anthony Michael Hall...

And this week... a remake of a season one episode.

No episode this year follows logically or time-wise the one before it!

And I hadn't been reading about Psych... so I was watching tonight and thinking... this is familiar... and then I thought... ok the crazy name said "remake a.k.a. cloudy with a chance..." and I thought, hey, there was that episode with a name like that... wait... they really are doing this.. not joking about it... really and truly they are remaking a previous episode!

I like some of the fun they poked more than the remake itself... that fell kind of flat... but the in-jokes and other stuff. REALLY liked the self-deprecating "why did they need to remake Dukes of Hazard" conversation... especially the "unnecessary racer character" comments, where "Sean" played that part in the Hazard movie.

Good stuff. Now if only they put that much into the whole episode like they used to.

post #227 of 236 Old 02-05-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes
USA Makes ‘Psych’s End Official
Interactive After-Show To Follow Series Finale March 26
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Feb. 5, 2014

USA Network today formally announced that the current eighth season of Psych is its last, and the March 26 finale is a series finale. It will be followed by the Psych After Show, a one-hour live show in front of a studio audience that will feature a Q&A with the cast and show creator Steve Franks. “Psych has made an indelible imprint on the television landscape, with a unique brand of comedy,” said Chris McCumber, president of USA Network. “The final season celebrates the iconic characters that have made this show so beloved, and will be an exclamation point on the series’ incredible run.”

Added Jeff Wachtel, President and Chief Content Officer, NBCU Cable Entertainment: “Psych is one of those rare projects that broke into the cultural mainstream. Its wild energy, fearless fun and engaging characters delivered an unrivaled series that will continue to be loved by fans for as long as there are ways to watch TV.”

Stars James Roday and Dule Hill made the announcement today via video (check it out below):

Psych was one of cable’s top five series Wednesday nights in 2013 among adults 18-49 (1.87 million) and total viewers (4.17 million) and was among the year’s top 10 Wednesday night series in adults 25-54 (1.86 million) and 18-34 (898,000). The final five episodes of the current season begin airing February 26. The series is exec produced Franks, Kelly Kulchak and Chris Henze, and is from Universal Cable Productions in association with Tagline Pictures. Mel Damski serves as executive producer/director.

Produced by Wilshire Studios, the after-show will feature favorite clips, audience Q&A and never-before-seen footage.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/psych-ending-series-finale-march-26/

After this season I will not be that sad to see it go. The show is floundering around and doesn't seem to have any idea where the season is going.

post #228 of 236 Old 02-05-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

To be honest, it has been mostly floundering for a couple of seasons now. It's nobody's fault really... like a lot of good shows, the core premise is one that has a built-in limit. I would much rather see shows end a little early than run a little late... I thought Monk ran a couple of seasons too long too.

That's not to say there haven't been good episodes... but as shows like this go on, there becomes more distance between the good episodes... instead of back in the beginning where every episode was a looked-forward-to treat.

post #229 of 236 Old 02-05-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 135

While I'm aware it has been running on fumes for at least two seasons, I'll watch it until the end.

post #230 of 236 Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Funny after my post earlier... tonight was actually a poignant episode. It had funny bits too... but it was an interesting episode for Gus to shine.

post #231 of 236 Old 02-05-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm two episodes behind. In usual fashion the Psych duo did make an amusing video about the announcement.

post #232 of 236 Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

That video was on after the end-credits tonight. It was actually a pretty funny clip and a nice way for them to say thanks to the fans.

post #233 of 236 Old 03-23-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Final episode this week, followed by a Psych interview Q&A special.

This season has been a complete mess and the past episode just added to that. What an odd place to put a Halloween special. While it did pull off some good homages to classic horror it was just too weird and not very funny. I laughed more in the closing minutes than the entire episode. The #tearsforfears and "Come get some." made me laugh and the Thriller(?) ending was good but possibly a joke too far.

It's very odd that we've had episodes of people being written out before the end and then to have Mira Sorvino come in as a replacement character (who I actually like) at the very end of the series. In any other show we would be seeing all the familiar characters coming together as the show ends, not being written out for concept episodes.

Well I suppose you can't say the show didn't try to go out as crazy and offbeat as it's always been.

post #234 of 236 Old 03-23-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The synopsis for the finale mentions Juliet, so we may see Lawson (if not Nelson) one last time, perhaps in addition to Sorvino.
post #235 of 236 Old 03-23-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I forgot there was one more pun in the last few minutes that i thought was funny too. Bruce's character was called Dr. Ashford N. Simpson.

post #236 of 236 Old 03-31-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Goodbye Psych, thanks for the laughs during your early seasons and a few from this season. wink.gif

The finale had some good moments of chemistry and interplay between Gus and Shawn and really that's all you can ask for. That has been the backbone of the show. Woody, Lassiter and Henry had their moments too but Juliet was barely there. I expect Maggie Lawson was off filming her cancelled sitcom but she should have made a bigger effort to be part of the final episode.

Val Kilmer was a fun cameo too.

Pity they couldn't have Tony Shalhoub too.

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page