The 2008 Masters - 3rd Round Saturday & Final Round Sunday Coverage on CBS HD! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post

Rest assured that every camera and lens is the best available for its particular application.

Thanks. Wasn't particularly assured...until I clicked your bio link and noted your position. Delighted with Sunday's resolution-boosting sunshine and CBS's--as usual--superb coverage. As a suggestion for a future HD CBS sportscast, even if there aren't 60 HD cameras used: Include one 4k digital-cinema camera (or equivalent), with real-time downconversion to 1080i, to see whether PQ improves significantly. No doubt the marketing folks could devise a catchy blurb for the coverage segment. -- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 04-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Superb coverage, no win for Tiger, no logos, no tickers, no promo bugs, and Augusta National controlled graphics. This tradition needs to stay put. More sporting events should dicate things like this to the networks that cover them, especially the NFL with Fox (the banner should just be a box) and NCAA March Madness on CBS with other scores on top, and banners and tickers (which repeat the same scores) on the bottom.
post #33 of 40 Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan View Post

Superb coverage, no win for Tiger, no logos, no tickers, no promo bugs, and Augusta National controlled graphics. This tradition needs to stay put. More sporting events should dicate things like this to the networks that cover them, especially the NFL with Fox (the banner should just be a box) and NCAA March Madness on CBS with other scores on top, and banners and tickers (which repeat the same scores) on the bottom.

Amen. Congratulations CBS and Augusta National. You set a standard to which I wish others aspired.

Bill
post #34 of 40 Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Just an awesome presentation by CBS. Amazing picture quality. Great surround audio. No graphics on screen during the action (very important). Only four minutes of commercials an hour. Too bad all sports can't be shown this well.

-Reagan

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #35 of 40 Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Other sports, leagues and events, don't want to give up the rights fees to gain control of their broadcast like Augusta National does and can. You have to realize this is basically a time buy by Augusta National so they control the broadcast.
post #36 of 40 Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 AM

I didn't get to watch Thursday and Friday, so I don't know if this was CBS specific or not...ever year, why does it seem that the announcer voices are so quiet and the crowd noises (particularly clapping) are SOOOO loud? I have to sit there with the remote turning the volume up and down. Irritates the hell out of me.
post #37 of 40 Old 04-14-2008, 11:39 AM

What an awesome weekend, great win and what a great usage of HD - I couldn't agree more that the lack of graphics, ads etc makes it quite a show that I wish other sports and/or networks would copy from. Nice work
post #38 of 40 Old 04-14-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post

I didn't get to watch Thursday and Friday, so I don't know if this was CBS specific or not...ever year, why does it seem that the announcer voices are so quiet and the crowd noises (particularly clapping) are SOOOO loud? I have to sit there with the remote turning the volume up and down. Irritates the hell out of me.

At times, ran into some of that, too. Assumed it had something to do with HD 5.1 audio encoding/delivery. At one point, because the golf course audio ambiance was almost masking the announcers, I just switched my Dolby Headphone receiver (Pioneer) from theater mode, which makes 5.1 seem to originate from my 64" screen (plus sides and behind), to a smaller room mode that reduced the problem. -- John
post #39 of 40 Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

At times, ran into some of that, too. Assumed it had something to do with HD 5.1 audio encoding/delivery. At one point, because the golf course audio ambiance was almost masking the announcers, I just switched my Dolby Headphone receiver (Pioneer) from theater mode, which makes 5.1 seem to originate from my 64" screen (plus sides and behind), to a smaller room mode that reduced the problem. -- John

Hmmm...Dolby was off on the DirecTV receiver. Guess I can check on the TV. Seems to be worse this year than in past years but this is always an issue with the Masters.
post #40 of 40 Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Other sports, leagues and events, don't want to give up the rights fees to gain control of their broadcast like Augusta National does and can. You have to realize this is basically a time buy by Augusta National so they control the broadcast.

Oh, I understand, Remy. But a guy can dream, can't he.

Now that you mention it, nothing is stopping the NFL network from doing it like the Masters.

-Reagan

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page