post #301 of 326 Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Piers Debut Places With 2.1 Million Viewers

Morgan's Bow With Oprah Trails Hannity's Talk With Palin

Andrea Morabito (Broadcasting & Cable) -- Multichannel News, 1/18/2011 1:43:22 PM

CNN's Piers Morgan Tonight premiered to an audience of 2.1 million total viewers Monday night.

The primetime talker's Jan. 17 debut, featuring host Piers Morgan's interview with Oprah Winfrey, marked an over 219% increase from the network's fourth-quarter average of 657,000 total viewers. The show also drew an audience of 521,000 viewers in the adults 25-54 demo, up 206% from CNN's 170,000 fourth-quarter average with that group during the final days of Larry King Live.

On Fox News Channel, Hannity, which featured an interview with Sarah Palin, drew 2.4 million total viewers and 600,00 viewers in the news demo.

The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC posted 1.1 milion total viewers, including 342,000 adults 25 to 54.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...on_Viewers.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 326 Old 01-18-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DVR'd the two new morning programs out of curiosity to see if they were HD. They are not. They are just simulcasts from CNN International (graphics and everything). Curious that they would make the move to 16:9 and then add non-HD 4:3 programming to the lineup. They also carry the old red wings for the duration of the program.

I guess we can start the calls for "When will CNN International be HD?" Kind of strange that it's not at least 16:9. I kind of assumed that all of CNNi was 16:9 because of its European and Asian audiences.
post #303 of 326 Old 01-18-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Howard Stern.......'nough said
post #304 of 326 Old 01-19-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

CNN'S "Piers Morgan Tonight" Second Night Increases With Adults 25-54, Tops "Hannity"

By Bill Gorman- January 19, 2011

via press release:

CNN'S Piers Morgan Tonight TOPS FNC IN THE DEMO ADULTS 25-54 PROGRAM ALSO GREW AMONG ADULTS 25-54 FROM LAST NIGHT'S DEBUT

From Nielsen Fast National Data for Tuesday, January 18, 2011:

CNN: Piers Morgan Tonight 1.273 million total viewers/551k demo adults 25-54

CNN topped FNC's Hannity in the demo 25-54 last night (551k vs. 506k)

PMT increased +6% in the key demo adults 25-54 from last night's debut (551k vs. 521k).

This represents a 94% increase compared to CNN's 9 pm 4th quarter average in total viewers (657k) and +224% more among adults 25-54 (170k).

FNC: Hannity 2.183 million total viewers/506k demo adults 25-54

(This represents a -8% decrease in total viewers and -16% in demo 25-54 from last night)

MSNBC: The Rachel Maddow Show 1.126 million total viewers/265k demo adults 25-54

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-hannity/79334

post #305 of 326 Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
They knew Stern brings in viewers. Very strategic move to put him on night 2, now they can gloat how they beat hannity. same reason letterman has him on every 6-12 months.

But Stern actually got it right in the first 5 minutes of the show, the key is how is the show in 6 or 12 months when he's interviewing Scott Baio? The test is the longevity of the show when he doesn't have heavy hitters on every night.
post #306 of 326 Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Suzanne Malveaux to anchor the 11am-1pm hours of 'CNN Newsroom' beginning 1/31:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/...ewsroom_b49071

So now the weekday 'Newsroom' schedule will look like this:

9am-Kyra Phillips
11am- Suzanne Malveaux
1pm- Ali Velshi
3pm-Brooke Baldwin
post #307 of 326 Old 01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvjunkie247 View Post

9am-Kyra Phillips
11am- Suzanne Malveaux
1pm- Ali Velshi
3pm-Brooke Baldwin

At least they managed to squeeze one journalist in the lineup.

I'm happy for Malveaux, probably nice to the the heck out of WH press corps office regardless of who's President. On a more shallow note, she is one handsome gal.... won't bother me a bit following the news with her on my screen.
post #308 of 326 Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I watched the premiere of Piers. I enjoyed it, but I think a half hour would be plenty of that kind of interview show. (I say that having never watched Larry King.)

I think he did a great job particularly with follow-up questions to his prepared questions. Those that just kind of come out of the conversation naturally.

I think I'll keep it on my DVR but only watch when an interviewee catches my eye as someone of particular interest.
post #309 of 326 Old 01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvjunkie247 View Post

9am-Kyra Phillips
11am- Suzanne Malveaux
1pm- Ali Velshi
3pm-Brooke Baldwin

I assume you mean Eastern Time?

And the FOUL!
post #310 of 326 Old 01-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Yes.
post #311 of 326 Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

I watched the premiere of Piers. I enjoyed it, but I think a half hour would be plenty of that kind of interview show. (I say that having never watched Larry King.)

I think he did a great job particularly with follow-up questions to his prepared questions. Those that just kind of come out of the conversation naturally.

I think I'll keep it on my DVR but only watch when an interviewee catches my eye as someone of particular interest.

Larry King especially in the later years had questions on cards in front of him so he wasn't really prepared to do follow ups based on the person's answers. He had a line of questioning, which often was all over the map, and even the guests had a hard time following.

I do think that the entire hour might be over doing it for 1 guest. Maybe split it up 30 minutes for each guest.
post #312 of 326 Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Is there no place to catch an episode online? I hit record single show instead of series and missed Howard Stern last night... Looked on CNN.com and all they have is clips.
post #313 of 326 Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post
With the way the Turner networks destroy 4:3 programming on the HD channels, I don't see them doing 16:9 properly anytime soon. TNT actually used to have the score bug for NBA games placed separately on the HD and SD feeds, so it was in the bottom right corner on both. They stopped doing that years ago though, don't know why.
Interesting, that must've been back in 2006 I'm guessing. I didn't have HDTV until September of 2007. Oddly enough Fox does two separate feeds for their NFL #1 game of the week, one is a graphics package formatted for 16:9 displays while the other graphics package is made for 4:3 displays. While when we flip over from HD to SD, we never actually see the 4:3 graphic package during live telecast, however Fox sends the 4:3 graphic package to the NFL Network.

And the FOUL!
post #314 of 326 Old 01-21-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

‘Piers' Total Viewers Hold Steady in Night Four

Up 17% in key demo for Ricky Gervais interview

By Andrea Morabito -- Broadcasting & Cable, 1/21/2011 5:32:08 PM

Thursday's fourth installment of Piers Morgan Tonight's premiere week was flat versus the prior evening in total viewers at 1.03 million, but grew 17% in the key adults 25-54 demo.

The program had 279,000 watchers in the demo for an interview with the younger-skewing Brit comedian and Sunday's Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais (Wednesday night's guest was Condoleeza Rice).

Fox News' Hannity still reigned supreme, easily besting Piers in both total viewers and the 25-54 demo. Piers earned second place on the night though, beating The Rachel Maddow Show in both metrics.

Also of note, the days-old program more than doubled beleaguered lead-in Parker Spitzer's 110,000 adults 25-54, and built heftily on its 522,000 total viewers.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...Night_Four.php

post #315 of 326 Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

Oddly enough Fox does two separate feeds for their NFL #1 game of the week, one is a graphics package formatted for 16:9 displays while the other graphics package is made for 4:3 displays.

The 4:3-formatted feed is actually just their backup feed, which they allow other networks to pick up to show highlights. I believe ESPN is the only network that sticks with the 16:9 feed. Fox affiliates do not have a choice on which feed to show.
post #316 of 326 Old 02-25-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Kathleen Parker Leaving 'Parker Spitzer,' Show Changing to Ensemble Program "In the Arena'

By Robert Seidman- February 25, 2011
Posted in: Cable News Ratings

Kathleen Parker is out, and CNN is reformatting the show as an ensemble show called In the Arena' effective Monday that will elevate Eliot Spitzer.

This move had been rumored for a while, so it's not surprising.

Here's the info CNN sent out:

CNN executive vice president Ken Jautz announces In the Arena ensemble program at 8:00 pm. Below are statements from Ken, Kathleen Parker and Eliot Spitzer.

NOTE FROM KEN TO STAFF:

I want to share with you some news today regarding our 8pm show. Kathleen Parker has decided to leave the program to focus on her writing, and we have decided to take the show in a new direction. We will be adopting an ensemble format with several newsmakers, guests and contributors joining Eliot Spitzer each night. The new program will be called, In the Arena, beginning Monday. E.D. Hill and Will Cain will join the program as well others within and outside the CNN family.

We have been pleased with how the 8pm hour has become a centerpiece of substantive, policy-oriented conversation, and we are looking forward to building on that with this new format. Simply put, the new program will look beyond the headlines to analyze and discuss the most important stories of the day. The program will provide context and analysis through balanced and thoughtful discussions and interviews with a wide range of guests and newsmakers who cumulatively represent various points of view.

Kathleen will continue to appear on CNN occasionally to provide her insights and commentary. We thank Kathleen for her hard work and all that she has done to help us launch our new 8pm program. We respect her as a colleague and appreciate her perspective and contributions.

Statement from Kathleen Parker:

After bringing viewers a new 8pm show on CNN, I have decided to return to a schedule that will allow me to focus more on my syndicated newspaper column and other writings. While I am extremely proud of the show we created, and the subject matter and level of discourse Parker Spitzer promoted every night, it was a difficult decision to scale back my column a few months ago and, with the show going in a new direction, it is a good time to move on. I want to thank the viewers who have been so kind with their comments and support. I will continue to appear to contribute and analyze occasionally on CNN and look forward to continuing my relationship with CNN and the many talented individuals I have worked with here.

Statement from Eliot Spitzer:

I wish Kathleen all the best in continuing on with her spectacular career. It has been a joy working with her as a teammate, and I continue to be a huge fan of the wisdom that jumps from her written work and the wit, charm and insight she brings to all that she does.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...he-arena/83806

post #317 of 326 Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

CNN ANNOUNCES NEW EVENING LINEUP

Schedule Showcases Erin Burnett, Anderson Cooper and Piers Morgan to Air this Fall

CNN has unveiled a new evening lineup with anchors Erin Burnett, Anderson Cooper and Piers Morgan to launch this fall, it was announced today by Ken Jautz, executive vice president, CNN/U.S.

Beginning Aug. 8, CNN will broadcast its flagship nightly news program AC360, anchored by Anderson Cooper, live at 8pm and re-air it in its current timeslot of 10pm.

In the fall, CNN will premiere a new general news program with Erin Burnett, which will air at 7pm ET and re-air at 11pm ET. Piers Morgan Tonight will continue to air at 9pm and 12am ET.

John King USA will kick off the evening at 6pm. The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer will continue as a two-hour daily program, airing in a new timeslot of 4-6pm. CNN Newsroom will now air from 9am-4pm. The full programming schedule is provided below.

The new line-up showcases anchors who are experienced reporters in covering stories that span the globe, said Jautz. We created a nightly schedule that brings together the best of CNN's journalism on a wide range of topics from politics and the economy to global and world events, as well the best newsmaker and celebrity interviews. This line-up ensures viewers access to the best of what CNN has to offer whenever they tune in at night.

I'm looking forward to the new time slot and am excited to share AC360 with a new audience at 8pm, while still connecting with my regular viewers at 10pm, said Cooper.

CNN Fall Schedule (All times Eastern):

6a-9am: American Morning

9a-4pm:CNN Newsroom

4pm: Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer

6pm: John King, USA

7pm: Erin Burnett

8pm: Anderson Cooper 360°

9pm: Piers Morgan Tonight

10pm: AC 360 re-air

11pm: Erin Burnett re-air

12am: Piers Morgan Tonight re-air

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ncelled/97320/

post #318 of 326 Old 07-06-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

So I guess Spitzer is done. Wonder how long they will hang with Piers and his horrible numbers.
post #319 of 326 Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
So what about Brooke Baldwin? Wolf is taking one of the hours that used to be hers.
post #320 of 326 Old 07-07-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAl View Post

So what about Brooke Baldwin? Wolf is taking one of the hours that used to be hers.

I guess she's down to 1 hour? That's a shame she was some nice eye candy for a mid afternoon.
post #321 of 326 Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

CNN has a stable of interchangable female anchors used througout their daytime programming. You hardly can tell one from another.
post #322 of 326 Old 07-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Brooke is usually on at lunch time on the West Coast, and makes CNN watchable, even if the sound is off. She is better looking than the other CNN female anchors in the morning, except for Kirin Chetry. Unfortunately, Kirin is on at 3AM and off at 6AM, so we never get to see her out here.
post #323 of 326 Old 01-07-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Some interesting news for CNN's Washington bureau: although it's already broadcasting in HD, the studios will be getting a major upgrade to (presumably) better match the scope and visuals of CNN's NY and Atlanta studios.

Somewhat surprisingly, the two new studios in DC will anchor CNN's Election Night coverage on Nov. 6, and will debut following the conclusion of the Democratic Convention.

Coverage of the Republican caucuses and primaries have and will continue to originate from Atlanta.

Quote:

CNN Readying New DC Studios For Election Night 2012

By Alex Weprin on January 3, 2012 3:35 PM

By November 6, 2012–election day–CNN will have swanky new studios in Washington DC up and running, a CNN spokesperson tells TVNewser.

For today’s Iowa Caucus coverage, CNN is basing its coverage out of Atlanta. NewsCastStudio says the CNN Election Center is originating from Studio 7, the channel’s newest studio at its worldwide headquarters. Coverage of most, if not all, of the GOP primaries will originate from Studio 7 this year.

The Atlanta studio features all of the technological gimmicks that have been a staple of CNN’s election coverage, including the “Magic Wall” made famous by John King. Expect the new studios in Washington to be fully equipped with new technology when they are unveiled later this year.

Following the election, the studios will serve as the new homes of “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer” and CNN’s other DC-based programs.

Quote:

CNN to Makeover Studio B

By Betsy Rothstein on January 6, 2012 5:16 PM

Today CNN’s DC Bureau bids farewell to Studio B.

In a memo from Washington Bureau Chief Sam Feist, CNNers learn that programs like “The Situation Room” will no longer be broadcast from that studio — at least not until the makeover is complete. In the meantime, Wolf Blitzer moves to the Red Conference Room on the eighth floor. The changes will take eight months. The end result will hopefully resemble the photograph above.

Feist wrote, Today’s broadcast of The Situation Room will be the last from Studio B. The set is going dark tonight — the first step in the long process to renovate the bureau’s main studios.”

Starting next week, the Sit Room will originate from corner of the eighth floor formerly known as the Red Conference Room. JKUSA will broadcast from the Cap Set (John is missing the tearful send off from Studio B as his show is in New Hampshire tonight.)

Beginning next weekend, State of the Union will use the Cap Set, and Reliable Sources will be on the eighth floor. Guest shots and visiting anchors will rotate between the Cap Set, insert studios, Newsource or the newly revived CNN Espanol studio on 9. CNN Espanol’s broadcasts will continue to use the Cap Set.

The entire studio renovation project will take eight months. Here is a brief timeline:

For the next month, studios A and B will be completely cleared.

From February through May, construction of the new studios’ “black box” will occur.

From May through July, the new sets, electronics and lighting will be installed.

August will allow for fine tuning and rehearsals, before the official launch of the studios immediately following the Democratic Convention at the beginning of September.

The big pay off comes on November 6, when CNN Election Night coverage will broadcast from the new CNN Election Center in the combined studios A and B.

We appreciate your patience as we get through the next few months. Have you ever wanted to peer into the future? An artist’s rendition of the future is below.

This is welcome news. The just-retired Sit Room studio has always been a serious eyesore, and it's always seemed like the DC bureau was the red-headed stepchild of CNN/U.S. Although I'm not particularly a fan of CNN's new design choices (think: swanky European airport), it's leaps and bounds ahead of what was there.
post #324 of 326 Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Why isn't 'world business today' not in hd?
I thought I saw a press release that when the show launches it will be in hd

AVS Forum Fold@Home Team Enter Team # 55280 when u download
post #325 of 326 Old 03-27-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Any programming coming from CNN International and its studios will be SD 4:3.
Unless they changes plans CNN has no interest in upgrading CNN International to broadcast in HD.
post #326 of 326 Old 09-10-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CNN today debuted their new HD set in Washington, the latest poll numbers, and Wolf and his new LeBron glasses.smile.gif

Set looks great!

100% Digital household since 2001
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page