CNN HD topic - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 326 Old 10-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Situation Room is the perfect show for HD. First time I saw it in SD I was impressed, but its made for HD. btw, any word on when MSNBC goes HD?

~ Scott LNT5265F, PS3, JBL-CS480, HR20-100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 326 Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnergy View Post

btw, any word on when MSNBC goes HD?

Last June.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #183 of 326 Old 10-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Last June.

:-) Could you tell I'm on D* Still SD for me...sigh

I guess my question should be when D* will pick up the HD feed

~ Scott LNT5265F, PS3, JBL-CS480, HR20-100

post #184 of 326 Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnergy View Post

:-) Could you tell I'm on D* Still SD for me...sigh

I guess my question should be when D* will pick up the HD feed

Stock DBS answer: 'Once the next sat goes up......'

post #185 of 326 Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 AM

I can't remember the last time I had the urge to watch MSNBC, so I had no idea I didn't have it in HD.
post #186 of 326 Old 10-21-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
^^Not this again.
post #187 of 326 Old 10-21-2009, 07:40 AM

Eh. CNN is so easy to find on D* anyways.
post #188 of 326 Old 10-24-2009, 09:37 PM
bwo

that's what I thought too...16:9 SD looks pretty good, and most average viewers can't tell anyway!

CNN also needs to improve it's lighting in Atlanta. Compared to ESPN & FOX News, they look dark! Guess that comes w/ the whole HD coversion which will eventually come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPC View Post

Yeah, on a closer look - its 16:9 SD - Graphics are HD, so are some remote shots - but Atlanta in studio is SD.

Don't get me wrong, from my normal viewing spot, I had to look quite hard, but up close its obvious - the 16:9 picture is not a full 16:9 - its close, but not full- plus there just is not detail on the anchors.

However, it seemed like from NY yesterday it was HD - which means that either the HD cameras are not in place in Atlanta yet, or something set-related- my guess is lighting is holding them up from "switching the cameras" to HD.

Also kind of goes with the fact that I at least did not even hear a mention of HD - wouldn't want people to get upset, eh?

Still, nice to watch without "HD" bars on the side anymore - and its a good example of 16:9 SD done right - or HD done horribly, horribly wrong!

Edit: Kind of funny tho, some of the graphics packages that feature a lens in them are marked "HDTV LENS"

post #189 of 326 Old 10-26-2009, 04:31 AM

did anyone else notice that (only) the last edition of Newsroom (9PM EDT) with Don lemon on Sat and Sun nights seemed to be in real HD and from a diffent part of the set. There was a blue animated CNN background behind him, new blue backgrounds on the full screen graphics too. Other shots like in the weather area and when they show the MySpace stuff on the TVs that are in the studio were still SD 16:9. All the other broadcasts throughout the day were in the normal part of the set with all the old graphics, etc. in 16:9 SD. Just the last broadcast both nights... Kinda interesting.

Oh yeah, PS- If anyone from CNN reads this, there are currently 22 boxes on my screen during American Morning. WAYYY TOO MUCH. While a very small amount of people may need to know that it's 90-degrees in Dubai, you're ruining the HD presentation for everyone. Then to make things worse, these boxes are flipping around every few seconds... it's insane. Please reconsider; sometimes LESS is more. Although it pains me, I'm changing the channel to Morning Joe because at least their presentation is watchable.
post #190 of 326 Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff28 View Post

did anyone else notice that (only) the last edition of Newsroom (9PM EDT) with Don lemon on Sat and Sun nights seemed to be in real HD and from a diffent part of the set.

Probably because he's behind a green screen.
post #191 of 326 Old 11-01-2009, 09:16 PM

He's definitely in front of a green screen or monitor or something. There are different graphics, etc. incorporated too. So far I've only seen this on the final two newsrooms of the day on weekends...

here are some pics for people who have better things to do than watch cnn on weekend nights. forgive me for the poor quality; I'm not set up to capture the screen directly to my PC. just snapped these w/ my cell phone.

They're set up just to the left of the normal Newsroom anchor desk.

Atlanta live shot background at beginning and end of hour.

Animated CNN background is used most of the hour.

This background was used during a segment on the Nov 3 election.

Different pillar bars on certain shots.

New weather area?

So I guess we'll just wait and see if this version of newsroom will show up more frequently... Overall I think it's an improvement to the normal set.
post #192 of 326 Old 11-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

I like the background animation... At first I thought it was too much, but they did a good job with it.
post #193 of 326 Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
post #194 of 326 Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mary Snow is in New Jersey for the election. Jessica Yellin is in Virginia. Both have live HD shots, and the picture quality is superb. CNN has been slower in making the transition, but they have obviously invested in some quality equipment.

It seems like most, if not all, of the reporters out of NYC and DC have HD cameras traveling with them. Once Atlanta finishes its upgrade, I suspect CNN will air about 90% of all shots on any given day in HD.

ETA: The election graphics tonight were very unobtrusive, a complete departure from the 2008 election graphics, and greatly welcomed. The only concern I have is that when CNN goes to letterbox on the SD feed, which presumably will happen by 2012 (if not before next year's midterms), those election graphics are going to explode in size.
post #195 of 326 Old 11-06-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzo View Post

I like the background animation... At first I thought it was too much, but they did a good job with it.

It would be better if they used some sort of video wall to display the background, rather than a simple green screen. I really think it should only be used for weather. It just looks cheap when you use it for an hour during the whole newscast.

...and that blue CNN logo reminds me of the one used on CNN International during their long transition period. It looks decent on a 16:9 screen, but it looks too overbearing on most conventional televisions.

Quote:

It seems like most, if not all, of the reporters out of NYC and DC have HD cameras traveling with them. Once Atlanta finishes its upgrade, I suspect CNN will air about 90% of all shots on any given day in HD.

I still think that's a bit high. They share much content (though lower these days) with CNN International, which still uses standard definition feeds throughout the world. I think 70% would be a more accurate number.
post #196 of 326 Old 11-12-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

From TV Week

TVBizwire

Lou Dobbs Quits

Lou Dobbs announced on-air tonight that he is leaving CNN "effective immediately" after his show ended.

Some leaders in the media, politics and business have been urging me to go beyond my role here at CNN and engage in constructive problem-solving, he said.

He said that he was still figuring out what he would do next.

He said CNN had agreed to release him early from his contract, which had another two years to go.

Most recently Dobbs was in the news when someone shot at his house. No one was hurt.

Dobbs, who has always held strong views, clashed with CNN management earlier this year when he kept insisting that President Obama wasn't a U.S. citizen.

He also has strong views on the issue of immigration, primarily expressing views that have angered many in the Hispanic community. Dobbs has consistently said that he's been misunderstood and that his views on immigration are centerist and main stream.

There has been some speculation that Dobbs might jump to Fox News, but earlier this year Fox said that wasn't happening.

HERE IS THE PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT RELEASED BY CNN:

Lou Dobbs Announces Departure from CNN

After nearly three decades anchoring an evening program on CNN, Lou Dobbs has decided to step away from his CNN anchor desk to focus on his role as a commentator and advocacy journalist on his daily radio talk show, as well as to pursue new avenues to contribute to the national discussion on important social, political and economic issues.

During Wednesday night's broadcast of Lou Dobbs Tonight, Dobbs offered the following statement:

Tonight, I want to turn to a personal note if I may and address a matter that has raised some curiosity.

This will be my last broadcast here on CNN, where I have worked for most of the past 30 years and where I have many friends and colleagues whom I admire deeply and respect greatly.

I'm the last of the original anchors here on CNN, and am proud to have had the privilege of helping to build the world's first news network. I am grateful for the many opportunities that CNN has given me over these many years, I've tried to reciprocate with the full measure of my ability and my energy.

Over the past six months, it's become increasingly clear that strong winds of change have begun buffeting this country and affecting all of us. And some leaders in media, politics and business have been urging me to go beyond my role here at CNN and to engage in constructive problem-solving, as well as to contribute positively to a better understanding of the great issues of our day. And to continue to do so in the most honest and direct language possible.

I've talked extensively with Jonathan Klein, Jon's the president of CNN, and as a result of those talks, Jon and I have agreed to a release from my contract that will enable me to pursue new opportunities.

At this point, I'm considering a number of options and directions and I assure you I will let you know when I set my course.

I truly believe that the major issues of our time include the growth of our middle class, the creation of more jobs, healthcare, immigration policy, the environment, climate change, and our military involvement, of course, in Afghanistan and Iraq. But each of those issues is in my opinion informed by our capacity to demonstrate strong resilience of our now weakened capitalist economy and demonstrate the political will to overcome the lack of true representation in Washington, D.C. I believe these to be profoundly critically important issues and I will continue to strive to deal honestly and straightforwardly with those issues in the future. Unfortunately, these issues are now defined in the public arena by partisanship and ideology rather than by rigorous empirical thought and forthright analysis and discussion. I will be working diligently to change that as best I can. And, as for the important work of restoring inspiration to our great free society and our market economy, I will strive as well to be a leader in that national conversation.

It has been my great honor to work with each and every person at this wonderful network. I will be eternally grateful to CNN, to Ted Turner, and to all of my colleagues and friends and, of course, to you at home. I thank you and may God bless you.

The news continues for the rest of this hour. I'll be back right after the break.

CNN President Jon Klein issued the following statement this evening:

Lou Dobbs is a valued founding member of the CNN family. For decades, Lou fearlessly and tirelessly pursued some of the most important and complex stories of our time, often well ahead of the pack. All of us will miss his appetite for big ideas, the megawatt smile and larger than life presence he brought to our newsroom, and we're grateful to have known and worked with him over the years. With characteristic forthrightness, Lou has now decided to carry the banner of advocacy journalism elsewhere. We respect his decision and wish him, Debi, and his family the very best.

LOU DOBBS BACKGROUND:

Lou Dobbs has anchored CNN's daily program Lou Dobbs Tonight since June 2003. Prior to that, he anchored The Moneyline News Hour with Lou Dobbs, which he rejoined in May 2001, after a two year absence.

Lou joined CNN at its inception and began anchoring for CNN in New York when the network first launched in 1980. Lou Dobbs was in charge of CNN's business news programming from 1980-1999 and served on the network's executive committee from 1989-1999.

Dobbs anchors a nationally syndicated financial news radio report, The Lou Dobbs Financial Report, and he is the host of the highly successful national radio program, The Lou Dobbs Show, which launched in March 2008. Dobbs' radio shows have more than 400 affiliates and reach nearly five million people weekly.

Dobbs has won nearly every major award for his work in television news. In 2005, the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences awarded Dobbs the Emmy for Lifetime Achievement. The previous year, the National Television Academy awarded Lou Dobbs Tonight an Emmy Award for Exporting America. He received the George Foster Peabody Award for his coverage of the 1987 stock market crash. In 1990, he was given the Luminary Award by the Business Journalism Review for his visionary work, which changed the landscape of business journalism in the 1980s.

Dobbs has written three best-selling books. Independents Day: Awakening the American Spirit in 2007, War on the Middle Class in 2006, and Exporting America in 2004. He has also been a columnist for Money Magazine, U.S. News and World Report and the New York Daily News.
Lou Dobbs Tonight features a signature series of ongoing special reports including Broken Borders (which focuses on border security and illegal immigration), War on the Middle Class, Exporting America, (which focuses on the outsourcing of American jobs) and Failing Grades (which on the crisis in public education.

Dobbs has received the Hugh O'Brien Youth Leadership in Media Award at the 2004 Albert Schweitzer Leadership Awards Dinner for his commitment to helping high school students seek out, recognize and develop leadership potential. In 1999, he received the Horatio Alger Association Award for Distinguished Americans and, in 2000, the National Space Club Media Award. Dobbs was named Father of the Year by the National Father's Day Committee in 1993.

post #197 of 326 Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like he's gonna join the Republicans.

Just say no to cable.
post #198 of 326 Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

He's probably gonna join FOX in the not to distant future.
post #199 of 326 Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I never watch CNN if I can help it (have had it deleted from my channel lineup for as long as I've had that capability--about 1999). But I saw a link online to Dobbs' announcement and I checked it out. He seems like a man of integrity. And he seems to appreciate the opportunities he had at the undeniably pioneering CNN. Good luck to him.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #200 of 326 Old 11-12-2009, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
John King to Replace Lou Dobbs

By BRIAN STELTER

John King will replace Lou Dobbs as CNN's new 7 p.m. anchor next year, the network told its employees Thursday morning.

Until then, a rotating cast of anchors will fill in at 7 p.m. The changes come a day after Mr. Dobbs abruptly announced that he was quitting his CNN anchor job immediately.

Mr. King is currently the anchor of State of the Union, CNN's Sunday political news show.

In moving Mr. King to a weekday time slot, CNN will seek to improve its dismal evening ratings. According to Nielsen, CNN ranked third among cable news channels in the 7 p.m. hour in October, mirroring its network-wide declines.

John embodies what we are striving for at CNN -- he is steadfast in his objective and non-partisan political reporting and has the passion for chasing down stories that really matter to Americans, Jonathan Klein, the president of CNN/U.S., said in an email to staff members.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...ace-lou-dobbs/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #201 of 326 Old 11-16-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

CNN and Fox News showed the shuttle launch in HD today.

post #202 of 326 Old 11-16-2009, 05:51 PM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

CNN and Fox News showed the shuttle launch in HD today.

I thought HDnet has the HD exclusive. NBC Nightly News also showed HD footage of the launch.
post #203 of 326 Old 11-16-2009, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post

I thought HDnet has the HD exclusive. NBC Nightly News also showed HD footage of the launch.

That is a correct assessment. HDNet supplies special high-definition cameras to NASA in exchange for the right to broadcast the launches in high definition.

Everyone else takes their feed from the NASA Channel (notice the logo at the top right side of the screen). This channel is strictly in standard definition. What these other outlets take is what is called a panoramic view (essentially, they strech the right and left sides of the screen to fill the area where the pillar boxes would go. The middle area is in original aspect ratio. The networks will then upconvert to the requsite ratio (720 for FNC and ABC, and 1080 for everyone else). Note that HDNet coverage does not include the NASA logo in the top right corner.

Incidently, the only non-HD camera coverage from HDNet is that of the external tank camera. Everything else is in nice clear high definition

Only six more launches left.
post #204 of 326 Old 11-16-2009, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

CNN began showing launches in HD in 2007:

CNN HD covers its first space shuttle lift off

Oct 26, 2007 1:35 PM

CNN HD covered the launch of space shuttle Discovery Oct. 23 from the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, FL, in HD.

While CNN Worldwide has broadcast every shuttle launch live, the launch of Discovery was a first for CNN HD, which began 24-hour news in HD Sept. 1.

HDNet, which has covered shuttle lift offs in HD since the summer of 2005, also covered the launch.

http://broadcastengineering.com/eng/...space_shuttle/

post #205 of 326 Old 11-16-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

post #206 of 326 Old 11-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

The past few times I've tuned into American Morning, I haven't noticed those weather bars on the side. Hopefully they got rid of them.
post #207 of 326 Old 11-25-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvjunkie247 View Post

The past few times I've tuned into American Morning, I haven't noticed those weather bars on the side. Hopefully they got rid of them.

The weather bar has been on CNN newsroom since this morning and as far as I know the end of American Morning. Must be for people traveling.

DVR: Totally worth the monthly fee to get 15 minutes +/- of a busy life back!
Quality, not quantity!
post #208 of 326 Old 11-25-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

CNN ran the weather bar at the bottom of the screen during Thanksgiving and the holidays last year too.
post #209 of 326 Old 12-12-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff28 View Post

did anyone else notice that (only) the last edition of Newsroom (9PM EDT) with Don lemon on Sat and Sun nights seemed to be in real HD and from a diffent part of the set.

I'm watching it now. If you look closely, Don's camera is not HD. It just looks HD because the graphics behind him are HD, and they cover 80% of the screen or so. Don himself is clearly not HD. In fact, it looks a little strange with him in smudged 16:9 SD and the graphics around him so crisp.
post #210 of 326 Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

CNN Shakes Up Afternoon Lineup

Rick Sanchez gets 3-5 p.m. show, 'The Situation Room' cut to two hours

By Alex Weprin -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/22/2009 11:55:18 AM

With John King's new 7 p.m. show on the horizon, CNN is shaking up its afternoon lineup, launching a new show with Rick Sanchez and cutting The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer from three hours to two.

Starting Jan. 18, the same day King's program launches, Sanchez will host Rick's List from 3-5 p.m. The show appears to take a cue from ESPN's Sportsnation, with interactive features and viewer feedback playing a major role.

"Every day Rick's List will be full of newsmakers and thinkers we- and u- (sic) think are relevant to CNN. My access = your access," Sanchez said on Twitter.

Meanwhile, The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer will now start at 5 p.m., running until 7, when King's new program will debut.

"Our excellent team can focus on 2 solid hrs. Less becomes more," said Blitzer on Twitter.

The move by CNN comes just a week after MSNBC announced it would shake up its dayside programming in Jan., announcing a new show with Chuck Todd and Savannah Guthrie at 9 a.m., and moving Dylan Ratigan's program to 4 p.m.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...oon_Lineup.php

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page