post #541 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

That was best line in 7 Seasons of 24!!!

Not as good as, "I'm gonna need a hacksaw!", though.

They're playing up the tough decision for freckles to terrorize the family well. If the first lady doesn't survive, then everything freckles did was pointless.

Atlas just shrugged!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 AM

I have to say that I've been waiting for 6 seasons for Jack to say that. For a guy with such a badass resume, nobody ever listens to him.

-c
post #543 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post

Garofalo could look better.

You're right but I think there's a clause in her contract about paper bags.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #544 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

"How do I know I can trust you"
"With respect Madam President

ask around."

Classic.

When he paused first and stared down the Prez, I was expecting a different line

"Madame President, just que up any of the previous seasons."

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #545 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
loved the ep was great classic Jack on his own.
post #546 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My only minor complaint about last night was the absolutely ridiculous use of locations and directions...you would think a first run show would be able to get at least that right...they said the SS Agent was traveling on 495 through Bethesda going to Andrews...he went the wrong way if he was coming from Downtown. At least they got the reflecting pool by the Capital right I didn't even try to make sense of the Jack/Larry direction giving...

And I used to work a few blocks from where Dobaku's apparent apartment is...they must have been filming Dupont Circle because that's where all of those outdoor shots are taking place.

So who's taking bets on who is dirty at the FBI...I think they are making it too obvious that its the guy having the affair...maybe its the chick he's having an affair with...I'm hoping she takes out Graffalo (Edgar style) when she learns the truth...

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #547 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Best episode of the season thus far.

I think the inner struggle that freckles is having in terms of becoming more like Jack is very well done.
post #548 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

The bass on this commercial nearly knocked me out of my chair!! Never knew TV could do such low end.

Yes, Detroit got SD for the fitst 5 minutes.. Doh!!

Great episode!

That was a surprise when the Venza commercial started! I have never heard a commercial that sounded that dynamic and strong in the low end.

And to stay on topic this was a good episode. Enjoyed it, no complaints.
post #549 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I lost the last minutes because of the president's press conference. The recording stopped when jack asked for an ambulance after the shooting.

What happenned next ?

He was also lucky that the first car he could get was a brand new powerfull Cadillac Talk about product placement.
post #550 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
IMO, the best episode since season 5. "You're running out of time"...Perfect..
Bill running the operation from the Oval Office!!! The slide shot...Jack is back!!!
post #551 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

I lost the last minutes because of the president's press conference. The recording stopped when jack asked for an ambulance after the shooting.

What happenned next ?

Nothing, that was the end. Regular clock followed.
post #552 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

you're right but i think there's a clause in her contract about paper bags.

lmao
post #553 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 10:49 AM

I watch and generally enjoy 24 but have felt the show was constrained by two things, its taking place in real time and the overwhelming nature of the threats Jack was confronting. For me, this always stacked the deck in favor of Jack's willingness to go to extremes. He (and we) always knew the guy he was about to question was a bad guy and the immediacy and scope of the threat always justified extreme measures (like, the hacksaw). In this episode, however, the situation changed. There was still the pressure of time but the stakes were much lower -- only one life was at risk even if it was that of the First Gentleman.

Thus, Agent Walker's revulsion at what she had done was justified. Even though she knew she was only, uh, kidding, she caused real pyschological pain to an innocent woman and, as I mentioned, the stakes were low. President Taylor had already announced she had to be willing to pay the price of her husband's life for the sake of the country, innocent lives in Sangala, and her principles so Walker (and Jack) could not inflate the threat to a level that would have justified physical torture. For those looking for a break in the action along with a moral dilemma for the characters to cope with, this was the opportunity.

Although he didn't do much with it, SA Moss really had a fairly strong position to defend in his Reflecting Pool exchange with Jack. The time pressures were still there for swift action but the threat level was too low to automatically excuse extreme measures. I think this is hinted at by Jack only killing the SS agent in self-defense but Moss assuming the death of the SS agent to have been a deliberate result of Jack being Jack. Jack's "Not today" could have been met with a "This is now just a kidnapping."

I have no idea if the writers will do anything with the opportunity but it might allow for a quarter of an hour of reflection now that Henry Taylor is no longer even a hostage but merely a prominent victim on life support. Until the next big threat appears (and I am assuming one will) Jack and Walker will face much more of a moral quandry than they did when The Device threatened to kills tens of thousands in the twinkling of an eye.
post #554 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post

... the stakes were much lower -- only one life was at risk even if it was that of the First Gentleman.

Thus, Agent Walker's revulsion at what she had done was justified. Even though she knew she was only, uh, kidding, she caused real pyschological pain to an innocent woman and, as I mentioned, the stakes were low.

Gotta disagree-- big time. She didn't harm the child or the mother. Her back was to the mother while she psyched her out so to speak, big deal. Unfortunately, she psyched herself out too. Her husband, the rogue secret service agent, has one of the most trusted and vital security jobs in the world. He's crooked. They had to break him to expose the ring. It doesn't get any more serious than that.

That's the problem with the no torture mentality today. Everything can be deemed torture. People are getting their heads lobbed off today and then it's posted on YouTube. That's taking it to the extreme.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #555 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The stakes aren't low. Dubaku's agents have infiltrated the highest levels of the White House and the FBI, among others. He and they have already killed hundreds of Americans.

The Secret Service agent was their only lead.

So Mr. Taylor wasn't the only stake. The entire government, and the fate of the entire country, are at stake.
post #556 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post

Didja miss the year 2001? Say, Septemberish.

Wrong. Those guys were anything but well known. OBL did not sneak into the country and live in Virginia.
post #557 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

First, who watches commercials?

Second, the wife of the bad SS agent is going to have even more to worry about than her 15 minutes of hell with freckles.

Her husband is dead. He was committing treason. She's going to be in every paper, every newscast and won't be able to get away from the fact that her husband was human garbage, even if she's innocent.

Atlas just shrugged!
post #558 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 11:25 AM

This was one of the better episodes of the season I thought. I did have one thing to nitpick though.

Most people who enter the oval office, particularly for the first time, are usually very uncomfortable, even very confident people. The fact that the walls are not square throws people off and the power of the office comes through no matter who the POTUS is.

On top of that, this is her inauguration day (if I remember correctly).

Jack is Jack and so I guess he is immune.

But I expected Bill and especially Renee to not look like they walked into a Kinko's.

Minor yes, but if we're going to pick apart directions and freeways, that's part of it too.
post #559 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Inauguration day was shown during Redemption. This is several weeks later.
post #560 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
I really liked this week's episode, too. Jack is at his best when, like this week, he is in full kick ass mode. I about had heart failure wondering if my recording of 24 had caught the whole show because of how the president's talk ran long. Fortunately, I got it all, albeit barely and without the end credits. PQ was excellent and the 5.1 sound was about as good as network audio gets.
post #561 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnevar View Post

Inauguration day was shown during Redemption. This is several weeks later.

Several months, I believe.
post #562 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I like the pace and direction so far. The CID device plot was resolved early which I think was a good move. And the limited scope of operations allows for a more realistic sense of resources Jack and Co have available.

My nitpicks - we all got em, lol -

In the oval office, they spend all that time convincing the POTUS that there's infiltration at very high levels and no one can be trusted, then in walks an agent without knocking to tell her about the call from Dobaku. My 1st thought was WTF, how do we know this clown is to be trusted! Renee's supposed to be dead, and we got agents eyeballing her who could possibly be on Dobaku's payroll.

Another is Jack's handling of the rogue agent. Why not just handcuff him then interrogate? I know it's central to the plot but geez. And as far as I'm concerned, Renee's handling of the wifey and child was justified. All she had to do was scare her and for all we know she was tickling the baby.

Well done to the writers for having the prez acknowledge that the life of 1 man was not worth more to her than the hundreds that died. Any other response would have been laughable. Especially since he got hisself into the situation.

Really enjoying the season so far. Can't wait to see how the female Jack role progresses.
post #563 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Jack is at his best when, like this week, he is in full kick ass mode.

He's rarely in low kick ass mode.
post #564 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

That’s the problem with the “no torture” mentality today. Everything can be deemed torture. People are getting their heads lobbed off today and then it’s posted on YouTube. That’s taking it to the extreme.

I'm wit you, pal! I have been waiting for an opportunity to opine on this, for some time- that "[me] having to go to work every day" must fall into this ridiculous definition of "torture", these days. The term is being utterly perverted/hijacked to encompass any given activity that suits an agenda (all the while, people are enduring real torture just across the border and overseas that involves maiming of limbs, dismemberment, disposal in a 55 gal drum, etc...those instances seem to get a blind eye, unfortunately).

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #565 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr b View Post

I like the pace and direction so far. The CID device plot was resolved early which I think was a good move. And the limited scope of operations allows for a more realistic sense of resources Jack and Co have available.

My nitpicks - we all got em, lol -

In the oval office, they spend all that time convincing the POTUS that there's infiltration at very high levels and no one can be trusted, then in walks an agent without knocking to tell her about the call from Dobaku. My 1st thought was WTF, how do we know this clown is to be trusted! Renee's supposed to be dead, and we got agents eyeballing her who could possibly be on Dobaku's payroll.

Another is Jack's handling of the rogue agent. Why not just handcuff him then interrogate? I know it's central to the plot but geez. And as far as I'm concerned, Renee's handling of the wifey and child was justified. All she had to do was scare her and for all we know she was tickling the baby.

Well done to the writers for having the prez acknowledge that the life of 1 man was not worth more to her than the hundreds that died. Any other response would have been laughable. Especially since he got hisself into the situation.

Really enjoying the season so far. Can't wait to see how the female Jack role progresses.

i agree with all that.

and it was a bit odd that jack and freckles are supposed to be the only super undercover covert agents in on the operation and then 5 minutes later they organize a carload of agents to go to the powerplant with the look-a-like. any one of those agents could have been baddies.

fun episode though. when freckles said that she was going to get out "tomorrow" i was all OH NO! you can't say that on tv or in the movies and expect to live to see the next day.
post #566 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found it to be a powerful scene that was the highpoint of the episode- especially when she reasons that she must be willing to endure the same risk/sacrifice that she asks her people to (and have sacrificed, that day).

post #567 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody notice that "pesticides plant" was the same plant that is the "nuclear plant" in Sarah Conner Chronicles?

post #568 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Another is Jack's handling of the rogue agent. Why not just handcuff him then interrogate? I know it's central to the plot but geez.

Jack was not carrying any handcuffs. He only had a gun.
post #569 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Gotta disagree-- big time. She didn't harm the child or the mother. Her back was to the mother while she psyched her out so to speak, big deal. Unfortunately, she psyched herself out too. Her husband, the rogue secret service agent, has one of the most trusted and vital security jobs in the world. He's crooked. They had to break him to expose the ring. It doesn't get any more serious than that.

That's the problem with the no torture mentality today. Everything can be deemed torture. People are getting their heads lobbed off today and then it's posted on YouTube. That's taking it to the extreme.

Well, everything we know suggests the wife/mother was innocent and we know the child was. Tricking her into believing she and her child would be tortured or killed is not SOP and while it may not fit everyone's definition of torture it was despicable. The question is whether it was justified. The idea was to trick the SS agent into believing his wife and child were in imminent peril and causing _him_ such distress was, arguably, warranted. Actually killing his wife and child and actually executing him (as opposed to killing him in self-defense) was not.

Had thousands of lives been in imminent peril Walker might have hated what she had to do but not really questioned the necessity of her actions. With only one life (Henry Taylor's) in immediate peril she could well question the morality, of what she had done.
post #570 of 2020 Old 02-10-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

Jack was not carrying any handcuffs. He only had a gun.

Shoot him in at least one knee -- takes the fight out of 'em.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page