'24' - Season 7 on FOX HD - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2020 Old 11-23-2008, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I previously expressed some strong and unkind remarks about Season 6 of 24 and my expectations regarding Season 7, in this thread

And at this time, I would regretfully like to thank the producers and creative team of 'Redemption' for demonstrating that my disparaging comments concerning this once wonderful program were entirely justified.

Chance favors the prepared mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2020 Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 PM

Liked: 13
Like the other poster said, the product placement was a little ridiculous. But on an HD level, the shots were amazing. I also like the new Fox HD Bug. Was it me, or was it not on the whole time? That was kind of nice to see for once.
post #63 of 2020 Old 11-23-2008, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
24 Redemption is not part of season 7, but I found the PQ to be excellent. I hope the episodes of season 7 (which were actually shot BEFORE this movie was made) looks as good.

Regarding "Redemption" -- it was all fluff and little substance -- mainly an overly long "bridge" movie.

Good to see Jack back, though. It's been a long time. I'm looking forward to season 7.
post #64 of 2020 Old 11-24-2008, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whoops I missed it. I hope they replay it.
post #65 of 2020 Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Did anyone else find the audio level to be very low (except during commercials)?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #66 of 2020 Old 11-24-2008, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I was bummed to see that this African conflict will be a story arch. I know they wanted to get out of LA but like someone has already said, this came off as Hotel Rowanda, Black Hawk Down, The Last King of Scotland mixed into 24 except not as good as those movies.

I am not expecting good things this next season. Whats with Jack making the sarcastic remarks in the season 7 previews? The Jack Bauer I know would never make a wise crack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #67 of 2020 Old 11-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Whoops I missed it. I hope they replay it.

It's out on DVD Tuesday.
post #68 of 2020 Old 11-24-2008, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 378
I am of mixed minds about the special. I really liked the Jack Bauer/Africa parts of the story. That part had real emotion and of course the signature 24 moments. The Washington parts were annoying. The acting was bad, and the more they showed that the more annoyed I got. I have to admit that I stopped watching Season 6 in the middle mostly because of a DVR problem, but also the stupid White House politics portion were driving me away.

I think the time for that type of story arc ended a few years ago, and they need to move on to something else.
post #69 of 2020 Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I give it a c+. Some moments were excellent, some were horrible, it was all over the board. I was really dissapointed in the child actors they used. They were so unbelievable. Some were even laughing at the wrong times (like when they are running from gunmen). Some were not even paying attention and looking around. Really ruined the whole atmosphere of the show.

I sure hope this is not how the new season is going to be.

post #70 of 2020 Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

i doubt this sangala conflict is going to be the center of the new threat - this two hour special was just to bridge the gap between jack's world tour and his return back to the states. if you watched the previews it looks like DC is where jack is going to be hanging around in season 7.
post #71 of 2020 Old 11-24-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My impression is that the primary story will take place in DC - the movie set up the reason for Jack being in DC. The Africa story, as best I can tell, will be one of the side stories with which the Prez will be dealing, during Jack's primary story. I imagine the two stories will have some sort of intersection during the season, probably related to Jon Voight's character.
post #72 of 2020 Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

how awesome was that jack kill with one leg?
post #73 of 2020 Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I rather liked the movie, including the Washington segments. I was gratified to see that the marvelous Broadway theater actress, Cherry Jones, will be the president this season and that Bob Gunton, another oldtime Broadway guy, will be a regular, too. I will miss Powers Boothe, though, he is always marvelous when he plays charismatic but untrustworthy sleazeballs like Noah Daniels.

I agree that the movie was nothing extra but it looked good and more than held my interest. I particularly enjoyed the portrayal of the cowardly UN worker. It's clear that the writers are not sold on the UN.

For a lifelong substance abuser, Keifer Sutherland still looks amazingly good. Maybe doing some time for DUI did him some good, I hope so.
post #74 of 2020 Old 11-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Was the 2 hour 24 event movie delayed last night by football? I just read on zap2it that FOX had a ratings bump because of overage time. Please tell me it did not delay the 24 movie, I didn't tell my DVR to pad anything.
post #75 of 2020 Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
wasn't any delay for me, I recorded it in the time slot with no padding and got it all.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #76 of 2020 Old 11-26-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Now, to begin, my expectations were so incredibly low for Redemption...like, below Heroes at this point...with that said, I loved it...it was a simple, believable plot with relatively strong acting and a great setup for Season 7. I'm hoping they continue with the premise and don't try to go over-the-top...but this is 24

Jack had so many kills...it was glorious...

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #77 of 2020 Old 11-27-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

Now, to begin, my expectations were so incredibly low for Redemption...like, below Heroes at this point...with that said, I loved it...it was a simple, believable plot with relatively strong acting and a great setup for Season 7. I'm hoping they continue with the premise and don't try to go over-the-top...but this is 24

Jack had so many kills...it was glorious...

Yep, Jack kicked ass and took names. Better yet, he didn't say "We don't have a lot of time!" "Damn it!" or "Son of a Bitch!" a single time. What's not to like?
post #78 of 2020 Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm glad they replayed Redemption last night as I missed it the first time around. Who's ready for some new 24!?
post #79 of 2020 Old 01-05-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The first 4 hours of 24 will air next Sunday+Monday evenings. Set those DVRs, and keep those fingers crossed that they've recaptured the lost magic!

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #80 of 2020 Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

My DVRs don't have many new shows on them right now (other than stuff for the kids), so I'm ready.

Let's torture the truth out of some bad guys and blow up something! Congressman Red Foreman can stick his foot up somebody's @$$, too!

Atlas just shrugged!
post #81 of 2020 Old 01-05-2009, 04:19 PM

I think the best thing that could have happened to "24" was to be off the air for a season and let the bad taste of S-6 sort of leave everybody's mouth. 'Redemption' was intended to ease Jack back into our consciousness, let us know he's still the one rock of selfless heroism we can count on in a pinch. But to those hoping for some more of that good ol' fashioned torturin', I think we'll be seeing much less of that as the country becomes, officially at least, less tolerant of such activity. The producers have been called on it, and they will - and should - respond accordingly. "24" is in some ways a mirror of our time, of our fears of unknown villains with unknown capabilities, and our hope that there are real Jack Bauers out there willing to take the collective bullet. If they're really good storytellers, they'll find other ways to ratchet up the stakes and generate the tension and adrenaline rush this show requires.
post #82 of 2020 Old 01-06-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting take on the amount of torture on 24, Groucho, but wrong on most counts, as far as I can tell. The reason the level of torture may diminish on the show is that it becomes repetitive and risks self-parody.

Defend liberty.
post #83 of 2020 Old 01-06-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDude View Post

I think we'll be seeing much less of that as the country becomes, officially at least, less tolerant of such activity.

I’d call it practicing what you preach; something those that tout morals and values know little about.

Torture is a staple of 24, so I don’t see it being reduced too much. Besides, we all envision the person being tortured as our boss, former lover/spouse, neighbor, or fellow commuter, but most of all, the idiot yelling “in the whole” as the golfer tees off on a 500-yard par 5. I want that guy to suffer. Lets see how flexible that driver shaft is as we explore various cavities in the human body. Get ‘em, Jack! Fore!
post #84 of 2020 Old 01-06-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Interesting take on the amount of torture on 24, Groucho, but wrong on most counts, as far as I can tell. The reason the level of torture may diminish on the show is that it becomes repetitive and risks self-parody.

"Wrong on most counts"...? Well, gee. Thanks for pointing that out, UK. Silly me, I must have imagined that ruckus with the producers about all the gratuitous and explicit torturin' on '24', and must have dreamed about the discomfort real military and intelligence officers spoke about in regards to it, and must have fantasized about the incoming President's feelings (shared by his opponent who knew a bit about the subject) about torture in general and how it was no longer going to be tolerated as official US policy. Guess I need to cut back on my coffee; must be making me hallucinate.

Again, I expect all that torturin' to be cut waaay back this year, for all the reasons I previously mentioned, as well as the "repetitive and self-parody" reasons which are also certainly valid. This show should be able to rise above it; we'll see.
post #85 of 2020 Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Again, I expect all that torturin' to be cut waaay back this year, for all the reasons I previously mentioned, as well as the "repetitive and self-parody" reasons which are also certainly valid. This show should be able to rise above it; we'll see.

I agree, there is only so many times you can point a gun a someone and threaten to shoot but don't before we get immune to it.
post #86 of 2020 Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Besides, we all envision the person being tortured as our boss, former lover/spouse, neighbor, or fellow commuter, but most of all, the idiot yelling in the whole as the golfer tees off on a 500-yard par 5. I want that guy to suffer. Lets see how flexible that driver shaft is as we explore various cavities in the human body. Get em, Jack! Four!

Can't he go after the few remaining "You da man!" idiots first, please? Now, those guys deserve a wet golf towel down the ol' esophagus more than your average sophisticated, well-spoken, faintly-middle-eastern-looking potential terrorist, IMO. The new Prez is a golfer, after all; I should think he'd allow an exception in these cases.
post #87 of 2020 Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Aren't we blurring the line between reality and 24 fiction here? A five years back every time I got one of my sporadic nosebleeds one of my housemates who saw it mentioned to me I had "the virus".
post #88 of 2020 Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I'd call it practicing what you preach; something those that tout morals and values know little about.

Torture is a staple of 24, so I don't see it being reduced too much. Besides, we all envision the person being tortured as our boss, former lover/spouse, neighbor, or fellow commuter, but most of all, the idiot yelling in the whole as the golfer tees off on a 500-yard par 5. I want that guy to suffer. Lets see how flexible that driver shaft is as we explore various cavities in the human body. Get em, Jack! Four!

Whoa. Good thing you don't hve any anger issues or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

I agree, there is only so many times you can point a gun a someone and threaten to shoot but don't before we get immune to it.

Yup, this year they'll switch over to just Tasering some guy's nuts, just to keep things fresh. .

My guess is that if Brian Grazer is smarter than his wild hair suggests, he'll save the really GOOD stuff for the upcoming theatrical film.

post #89 of 2020 Old 01-06-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...must have fantasized about the incoming President's feelings (shared by his opponent who knew a bit about the subject) about torture in general and how it was no longer going to be tolerated as official US policy.

The torture level may be reduced on 24, for other reasons previously stated; however, the statement above reflects the error I was trying to subtly point out before: torture is not tolerated as official US policy. The new administration won't have to change that to reflect the president-elect's stated views.

Defend liberty.
post #90 of 2020 Old 01-06-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course, torture is not exclusively the province of '24', either. Anyone who's been keeping up with Showtime's superb drama 'Brotherhood' was witness to some serious torturin' in the series finale that was far more realistic, and disturbing, than anything '24' has yet dished out.

Yeah, the scene in which Colin tortured Kath in bed was absolutely horrific in scope. They couldn't have gotten away with anything even close to that on commercial TV.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page