Forum Jump: 

post #1921 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Worst 24 finale ever. Ever.

No tension, no drama at all. What, they really thought Jack being in a coma was a cliff hanger? Honestly, who is worried that Jack won't survive the experimental treatment? I had no interest in the Olivia plot line since its inception, since she was such a weak, weak reincarnation of Sherry Palmer. Kim saying "Damnit!!!" was the best part -- and when Kim Bauer is the best part of an episode, well, that's not good.

I see that the ratings were terrible too. Well deserved. And I really enjoyed this season for the first 22 hours. Not sure how next season will continue from where this left off since it's being staged in New York City. I guess Jack could get surgery, survive and hop on an hour-long flight to NYC, but you want to talk about stretching it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 319
When Will and Tony were in the warehouse, Tony said to him that he had Michelle killed. If Will had Michelle killed, wouldn’t he have known pretty much everything about her, like who she was married to? Why then would Will agree to meet Tony or even consider him for a higher position? I’ll go back to the beginning of this whole thing. Who allowed Tony to even be a part of this operation? Wouldn’t Starkwoods intelligence somewhere along the line have put 2+2 together and been suspicious of Tony and his motivation?
post #1923 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 101
What about if Jack doesn't wake up and the lead role is Renee's?

With Kiefer later head butting incident season 8 is at danger, this guy can't keep himself out of trouble..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1924 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

What about if Jack doesn't wake up and the lead role is Renee's?

With Kiefer later head butting incident season 8 is at danger, this guy can't keep himself out of trouble..

Sutherland has been hinting for years that he wants a "replacement" for the Jack Bauer character. This season was a transitional "test". They disabled Bauer and brought in Rene as the "new" rough 'em up character. They are now analyzing viewer response to see if she was received positively. Their intention is to phase out the Jack Bauer role and put Rene in that place permanently.

Sutherland has already completely messed up Season 8 with his recent arrest. That might be another reason to accelerate the implementation of a replacement for the Bauer character. I'd expect quite a large role for Rene next season.
post #1925 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

When Will and Tony they were in the warehouse, Tony said to him that he had Michelle killed. If Will had Michelle killed, wouldn’t he have known pretty much everything about her, like who she was married to? Why then would Will agree to meet Tony or even consider him for a higher position? I’ll go back to the beginning of this whole thing. Who allowed Tony to even be a part of this operation? Wouldn’t Starkwoods intelligence somewhere along the line have put 2+2 together and been suspicious of Tony and his motivation?

The only explanation that comes to mind is that the organization recruited Tony, at least indirectly, via the Eurotrash guy that Tony ended up betraying earlier in the season. IIRC, we learned that Eurotrash "saved" Tony at the time of his closer encounter with 'death', and Tony went in league with him. I can't remember if that guy was a company man or not, but he obviously worked for the company's goals, directly or as a contract player.

Also, Tony saying "he had Michelle killed" might be a play on words, in the sense that Will heads the organization responsible for her death, and not that he issued a specific order regarding Michelle.
post #1926 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 AM

Liked: 10
Renee wouldn't be a believable replacement for Jack. Jack's character had a special ops background and he was trained in fighting techniques that would be way beyond what Renee is capable. If she takes over, show's done. It can't possibly be intense enough following someone around without the same tools Jack had to work with.

I thought the German agent from season 5(?) would be a good fit. Jack even said something then about helping him out someday.
post #1927 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Replacing a main character who is supposed to have the sameness that viewers like does not work. X-Files anyone?
post #1928 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Some of you fine folks need to be writers for this show! North Jersey's script in particular has merit...Kim shed far too few clothes in that car fire.

Agent Freckles is now Jack, Jr. That won't sell a season, if she has to "carry" it.

Tony's explanation of his motivations and what he was trying to do fell short, but I'm thankful they at least tried to make some sense of that shark-jumping moment that started with the strangulation of Larry Moss.

Pretty sad that the biggest surprise of the finale was who walked into Jack's hospital room just before the coma was induced. I expected Kim, of course. But I certainly did not expect the cleric.

Very glad President Taylor did the right thing and handed her evil daughter to the authorities. Also glad it was Aaron who enabled the discovery of Olivia's actions.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #1929 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

The fact that S8 will pick up where S7 left off is I believe why things were left hanging.

In previous seasons we always jumped ahead by months if not years, so there was more of a need to wrap up loose ends.

IMO, They might do what they did this season, run a 2 hour "movie" before the season starts that wraps up the unanswered questions from this season and then jump to a future time when the season starts up. During a 'prequel" they can jump around in time and are not locked in to a running 24 hour format and that might be how they handle the rumored story move to feature NY. I highly doubt the regular season will start at the hour after this season ended.
post #1930 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

Sutherland has been hinting for years that he wants a "replacement" for the Jack Bauer character. This season was a transitional "test". They disabled Bauer and brought in Rene as the "new" rough 'em up character. They are now analyzing viewer response to see if she was received positively. Their intention is to phase out the Jack Bauer role and put Rene in that place permanently.

Sutherland has already completely messed up Season 8 with his recent arrest. That might be another reason to accelerate the implementation of a replacement for the Bauer character. I'd expect quite a large role for Rene next season.

Hmmm how does that fit in to Sutherland signing a new contract and publicly stating that he will stay on the show and play Jack until the writters cannot write anymore scripts? I agree he is endangering the show with his teenage badboy antics.
post #1931 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddog View Post

...the writers cannot write anymore scripts?

Uh, that happened about two years ago...
post #1932 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdothat88 View Post

weak season finale. Anybody else have problems with audio drop outs?? Its been happening with me on fox hd shows the last few weeks its killing me.

Yes I had them also both audio and video! Noticed even more of them on AI.
post #1933 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post

To me it looked like a road flare and gasoline, and he was getting ready to try and immolate himself because of that 500 degrees Celcius thing, but yeah the main motive was to keep the pathogen away from the bad guys.

Then Tony kicked the flare out of his hand, which seems like a really stupid thing to do since it could have easily landed in the gas puddle, thereby achieving exactly what he was trying to do. But then Tony was also remarkably agile for someone who shot himself in the abdomen only a few hours previously.

The writing is just sloppy sometimes. It's the vapors that would have ignited not the liquid itself.Gasoline vapors are heavier than air and the amount being emitted would have been sufficient. Every read or hear of people cleaning stuff inside their houses or apartments and causing an explosion when the vapors creep near the water heater's pilot flame.
post #1934 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

The writing is just sloppy sometimes. It's the vapors that would have ignited not the liquid itself.Gasoline vapors are heavier than air and the amount being emitted would have been sufficient. Every read or hear of people cleaning stuff inside their houses or apartments and causing an explosion when the vapors creep near the water heater's pilot flame.

Well, yeah. Just igniting the flare would probably have been enough in a real life situation, but assuming it wasn't (or the show would have ended about 55 minutes early), kicking it out of his hand was not the smartest move on Tony's part.

But we already know Tony isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer or he would have been able to figure out a better way to get back at Alan Wilson than attempting mass murder of hundreds of thousands of innocent people, while still believing he was one of the "good guys".
post #1935 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Anyone who's ever watched "Mythbusters" would know that igniting gasoline isn't always as easy as you might think. If that were the case, a lot more people and things would be blowing up every day.
post #1936 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK006 View Post

Anyone who's ever watched "Mythbusters" would know that igniting gasoline isn't always as easy as you might think. If that were the case, a lot more people and things would be blowing up every day.

And cars wouldn't need carburators.
post #1937 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

When Will and Tony they were in the warehouse, Tony said to him that he had Michelle killed. If Will had Michelle killed, wouldn't he have known pretty much everything about her, like who she was married to? Why then would Will agree to meet Tony or even consider him for a higher position? I'll go back to the beginning of this whole thing. Who allowed Tony to even be a part of this operation? Wouldn't Starkwoods intelligence somewhere along the line have put 2+2 together and been suspicious of Tony and his motivation?

This is 24 nothing makes any sense at all. But that's a really big hole in the storyline I mean the guy was being protected as if he was the President or a high level cabinet secretary when he arrived at the warehouse. You would think he had sound intelligence.

Worst season finale ever IMO!
post #1938 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddog View Post

Hmmm how does that fit in to Sutherland signing a new contract and publicly stating that he will stay on the show and play Jack until the writters cannot write anymore scripts? I agree he is endangering the show with his teenage badboy antics.

I don't think Sutherland ever said he will stay on the show "to play Jack." In his May 15th interview he said, " I will always be a part of the show as a producer."
post #1939 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

I don't think Sutherland ever said he will stay on the show "to play Jack." In his May 15th interview he said, " I will always be a part of the show as a producer."

Yep in fact it wouldn't surprise me if died 4 or 5 episodes in next year.
24 has always been good a killing people for shock value.
post #1940 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 319
No Jack, no 24. Period.

Maybe a female lead (Renee) and a male hunk - i.e. Mia Kirschner, or fill in the _______, to the male - would appeal to an audience that isn't currently tuning in, and if that is what the public wants and it works, more power to them. For me, no Jack, no 24. Period.
post #1941 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I agree, no Jack no show, but I believe he will transition himself off the show.
Perhaps the show needs a new driving force.

NY Post

'24' FINALE BUTTS OUT
By MAXINE SHEN

May 20, 2009 --
JACK Bauer flatlined after all -- in the ratings, that is.

Monday night's two-hour season finale of "24" was the least watched episode of the season -- only 9.4 million viewers, according to early Nielsen ratings.

It was not a good sign for the comatose star or the future of the show, indicating that the serial did not generate enough excitement to attract a crowd to see how the story ended.

The lack of interest might have been due to the knowledge that most of the real action and drama had already taken place before the finale.

"The crisis has been dealt with; these last two episodes are for him coming to terms with his own life," Kiefer Sutherland (who plays day-saver Jack Bauer) told E! Online.

"It's a real character shift for Jack Bauer, but it's also a much more dramatic ending than anything we've ever tried before."

Many fans -- at least the ones who tuned in -- would beg to disagree. They were left feeling unsatisfied by the anticlimactic and unexpectedly reflective ending which left Bauer in a medically induced coma, and his daughter Kim (Elisha Cuthbert) determined to go through with an experimental stem cell treatment that could save his life.

Of course, there's no question that the treatment will work, since Fox has ordered an eighth season to air in 2010. It will be shot in New York and will involve a political shift that's happening in the world, which Sutherland says will make it the most realistic season to date.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05202009...out_170144.htm

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1942 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP Ryan View Post

I thought the German agent from season 5(?) would be a good fit. Jack even said something then about helping him out someday.

I believe Henry Ian Cusik - who played the German agent - will still be busy playing Desmond on "Lost." So that's probably a no-go.
post #1943 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post

And cars wouldn't need carburators.

They haven't needed them for about 30 years.

Freckles can be a lead in a series, but it would have to be something new. If Jack is gone, end the series.

Atlas just shrugged!
post #1944 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpade View Post

They haven't needed them for about 30 years.

Freckles can be a lead in a series, but it would have to be something new. If Jack is gone, end the series.

I'm aware that cars have switched to fuel injection, but that wasn't the point of the post.
post #1945 of 2020 Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

I see that the ratings were terrible too. Well deserved. And I really enjoyed this season for the first 22 hours. Not sure how next season will continue from where this left off since it's being staged in New York City. I guess Jack could get surgery, survive and hop on an hour-long flight to NYC, but you want to talk about stretching it...

So much for everyone buying into the current political shift...and the breaking news of a foiled Jewish temple bombing in NY might wake up these numbskull writers and actors to the reality that hasn't subsided since 9/11.
post #1946 of 2020 Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 AM

is it weird to anyone else that they released it on dvd the day after the finale?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1951072
post #1947 of 2020 Old 05-21-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

So much for everyone buying into the current political shift...and the breaking news of a foiled Jewish temple bombing in NY might wake up these numbskull writers and actors to the reality that hasn't subsided since 9/11.

What reality is that? Every single terrorist event that's happened in this country prior to and after 9/11, since the first WTC bombing, has been home-grown nutcases who have easy access to military-grade weaponry and all the handguns and armor-piercing ammo they can carry. While there are procedures now in place to keep tabs on the few foreigners who may want to try something, there's nothing to stop our own home-grown right-wing terrorists or mental cases from causing havoc - it happens again and again. Attempts to regulate that kind of military hardware typically meet stone walls. Perhaps that's the shift that Sutherland is speaking of. This season's reveal of the big baddies to be good ol' Yanks thirsting for power is perhaps a step in that more "realistic" direction for the show.
post #1948 of 2020 Old 05-21-2009, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley D View Post

is it weird to anyone else that they released it on dvd the day after the finale?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1951072

Not really. The bulk of the show had already been filmed before the writer's strike. They decided to retool some stories after the strike then re-filmed what they needed. However most of the show was already shot.
post #1949 of 2020 Old 05-21-2009, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive View Post

Perhaps that's the shift that Sutherland is speaking of. This season's reveal of the big baddies to be good ol' Yanks thirsting for power is perhaps a step in that more "realistic" direction for the show.

Wtf are you talking about? I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody, but outside of the Drazens, it seems the "baddies" on 24 always end up being run by a conglomerate of white guys. Seasons 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 especially. So that would hardly be a "shift" for 24.
post #1950 of 2020 Old 05-21-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Wtf are you talking about? I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody, but outside of the Drazens, it seems the "baddies" on 24 always end up being run by a conglomerate of white guys. Seasons 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 especially. So that would hardly be a "shift" for 24.

You may be right (even S-2?); I'm afraid that the seasons of '24' all tend to run together at some point. But the formula is always the same - a new layer of baddies is revealed at essentially the season's third points. And they usually have "middle-eastern terrorists", or in this season's case Africans, as one of the early season red-herrings, do they not? Maybe next season they'll stick with our trusty home-grown baddies all the way through.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page